logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages«<23456>»
Upcoming Season - 2014
CROUCHING TIGER
#61 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 12:04:03 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)
Halep's First Grand Slam Quarterfinal...FELICITARI !!!

Simona Halep defeated Jelena Jankovic to reach the first Grand Slam quarterfinal of her career - the first Romanian to reach a Grand Slam quarterfinal in five years.

The pair's three previous meetings all went to three sets and this one did the same, Halep taking the first set, 6-4, and Jankovic retaliating in the second set, 6-2. The first game of the third set turned out to be a huge turning point - a marathon five-deuce game that eventually went to Halep swung the match completely, as the No.11-seeded Romanian steamrolled to beat the No.8-seeded Serb, 64 26 60.

"She played really well in the second set," Halep said after the match. "I was a little bit tired after the first set - my energy was very down - but I was ready to play the third set. I was just telling myself I had nothing to lose - it was my chance to fight for every point and for the match, and for my dream.

"It was my dream before starting this year to play the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam."

Halep is the first Romanian to reach a Grand Slam quarterfinal since Sorana Cirstea at the French Open in 2009, and the first Romanian to reach the Aussie Open quarters since Irina Spirlea in 1998.

She is also likely going to break into the Top 10 after this tournament - if that happens she would be the third Romanian ever to break into the elite, after Virginia Ruzici and the aforementioned Spirlea.

"I hope," Halep said of the Top 10. "I'm really happy to hear that, but I have to focus on my next round, because a Grand Slam is a Grand Slam. I'm not focused on my ranking. I want to enjoy every match."

Halep had an absolute breakthrough second half of the 2013 season - from May through the end of the year she won 43 of 51 matches, her first six WTA titles and rocketed from No.64 all the way to No.11. Her start to 2014 was shaky - she lost her opening match in Sydney - but she seems back on track.

"I started to play well in Madrid," Halep said. "Mr. Tiriac gave me a wildcard and helped me a lot. I lost first round but I played three hours, and after that I felt I was playing at a very good level. I beat Radwanska in Rome and after that I had confidence I could beat top players and be in the top level."

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
appaloosa on 1/20/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#62 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 12:09:03 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Video: Highlights & Happy Moments:)

http://www.wtatennis.com...highlights-happy-moments

appaloosa on 1/20/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#63 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:01:39 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

https://twitter.com/Aust...5437913338241025/photo/1

China-girl into the semi's:)...I LIKE THAT :):):)

appaloosa on 1/21/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#64 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:15:29 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Radwanska Stuns Azarenka In QFs !!!

MELBOURNE, Australia - The numbers were stacked against her - an 0-4 record in Australian Open quarterfinals, a seven-match losing streak to her opponent - but Agnieszka Radwanska overcame it all, beating Victoria Azarenka to reach the semifinals of the Australian Open for the very first time.

From the beginning of the match Radwanska looked determined to snap the aforementioned losing streak to Azarenka - with her trademark blend of creativity and consistency she won the first five games of the match, and after Azarenka finally got on the board in the sixth game, she closed out the set, 6-1.

That one game may have helped swing the momentum in Azarenka's favor, though - the two stayed even throughout the second set and it was Azarenka who pounced right at the end to take it, 7-5.

The first game of the third set was pivotal - Azarenka was serving and had four game points, but Radwanska snuck it out, and from there it was one way traffic as the No.5-seeded Pole didn't drop another game, eventually finishing the No.2-seeded Belarusian off in exactly two hours, 61 57 60.

"It's hard to play someone I've lost to so many times before - and she's a great player, especially here, she's playing amazing tennis," Radwanska said. "On the other hand, I really had nothing to lose. She was defending the title, not me. I just tried to play my best tennis and go for every shot I could.

"I'm just very happy because I was really playing great tennis."

Radwanska finished the match with much cleaner numbers - 23 winners to 15 unforced errors. The other side of the net wasn't as tidy, with Azarenka hitting 33 winners but piling up 47 unforced errors.

"The first and third set, there were just too many easy mistakes on important moments," Azarenka said. "But she was aggressive. She was making everything. She was guessing right. I was playing a little bit too predictable. In the second set I managed to fight back, but the first game of the third set was important, and I let it go - like easily let it go. From there I just couldn't get back into the match.

"I don't know. My game wasn't there today as I wanted it. But she definitely played really well."

Azarenka was also asked in her press conference how long this loss will linger in her mind.

"I'll be fine tomorrow," she said. "I'll be working tomorrow. It's not the end of the world. I'm not happy with what I did today, but I know I could have played a lot better. There's so much to improve...

gexton71
#65 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:49:52 AM(UTC)

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
thank you so much paul_pipkin ...
Philli Wan
#66 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:41:40 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 134 post(s)
What an amazing start to the year. Dominika really deserved this. I've always rated her higher than she has played and now, finally, she has come through with a winning style. Simona may have lost but she is still a new force to be reckoned with and has a great Chance of being 'Great' this year. Genie, well really, that Outfit!!! Looks like she came straight out of School and went straight to the Tennis court without changing first. Is that canadian prudity or what. Perhaps she doesn't have a clothes Sponsor. Get one quick Genie. As for the rest of them, well, the 'old timers' really do look old. Time to look for another Job.
2 users thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 1/23/2014(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 1/23/2014(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#67 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:19:10 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)
Hey Philli! Good to hear. Ditto re Dominika & Simona. :D

Genie: Nah, it's a NIKE thing. :P They rigged up Hlavackova the very same way. Looks like the "long" version of what they put on Masha earlier. Not so much, yeah. Nike best rethink stuff or Adidas gonna clean their clock.
"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 1/23/2014(UTC)
robb
#68 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:01:11 PM(UTC)
robb

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Really dissapointed with maria's failure to sparkle in melbourne. ESPECIALLY WITH WILLIAMS GOING OUT THE DAY BEFORE. Seems to me she never got going really in any of the matches. Her inconsistency is still there. Yes I know she's been out for a while, but it didn't stop 'she-man' coming back straight away and winning titles. I fear that the French is the last 'BIGGIE' that maria will ever win. There are so many others now who are just as good as her on any given day.
CROUCHING TIGER
#69 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:11:38 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Russian Pair Reach Australian Open Final...DAVAI !!!

http://en.ria.ru/russia/...stralian-Open-Final.html

GOLDEN DOUBLES...

Alain44
#70 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:52:44 PM(UTC)

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 76 post(s)
OPEN GDF SUEZ à Paris (25 janvier - 2 février 2014):

Maria à Paris le 27 janvier à 15 h 30 pour une séance de dédicaces (PublicisDrugstore):

www.opengdfsuez.com

3 users thanked Alain44 for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 1/24/2014(UTC), paul_pipkin on 1/24/2014(UTC), appaloosa on 1/24/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#71 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 2:09:45 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

And it's FASHION WEEK; Philli forgot about that one LOL

Philli Wan
#72 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 9:02:54 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Oh I didn't Forget, Tiger. It's going on now...started monday... but I wondered if Maria would stay so long as her boyfriend was still in the tourny. Still, she's probably there now but has every opportunity to cancel again like in the past because of this new mysterious hip injury. Incidently, I read in one of her interviews before the Aussie Open that, last year when she retired claiming a hip injury, it was in fact a shoulder injury but she didn't want anybody to know. Sll lies that Girl. Asked if it was the same hip injury in her last interview she said 'No'!! How could it be? her hips are connected to her shoulders..remember.
1 user thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 1/24/2014(UTC)
Philli Wan
#73 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 9:07:30 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

By the way, I Keep getting Error Messages when I try to submit stuff. Something wrong with this Forum..It Needs a good checkover.
2 users thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 1/24/2014(UTC), Alain44 on 1/24/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#74 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 9:54:51 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

HAPPENS TO EVERYBODY HERE !!! They messin' with the site,problably a new one for Sochi...

So, it's perfectly normal;keep postin' on "quick reply" for the moment...still luv ya:) XXX

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 1/24/2014(UTC), Alain44 on 1/24/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#75 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 10:02:13 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Li Na, the hottest property in tennis:)

http://www.supersport.co...ttest_property_in_tennis

My lovely China girl...GO FOR IT !!!

paul_pipkin on 1/24/2014(UTC), Alain44 on 1/24/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#76 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 10:10:27 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

The final step for DOMINIKA !!!

http://www.ausopen.com/e...view_the_final_step.html

May the best win:)

4 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 1/24/2014(UTC), appaloosa on 1/24/2014(UTC), Alain44 on 1/24/2014(UTC), Alireza on 1/25/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#77 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 3:23:46 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Quotable Quotes: Li & Cibulkova...

Li Na
On how much she wants this title...
"A lot. Because I've always done well here, and I always look forward to playing here."

On the importance of constantly improving...
"When you're on the tour for so many years, everybody knows exactly how you play on the court. If I don't improve, I can stay in the Top 10 or Top 20, but I can't be the best in the world. So I really want to keep pushing myself to change. It's very tough at first because you think if you change you'll lose the old things, but I need to trust myself and my coach, and believe change will help me."

When told she looks very natural at the net...
"I think I have a very good volley, yes! But the first time Carlos told me I should come to the net and volley more, I was like, 'What is this guy talking about? Why? I've stayed on the baseline for maybe 100 years and never tried to come to the net.' But we tried and I felt good about it. Especially at Wimbledon last year, even if I lost the match, at least I tried. I've found a new thing for my game."

On whether she believes in third time lucky...
"In China, 6 and 8 are lucky. I'm not sure. I'll try to find the luck."

And whether she has any thoughts of retiring, win or lose...
"No. If I lose, I'll just continue until 6 or 8."

Dominika Cibulkova
On Slovakia...
"We are a really small country. We are just five million people. I really love to play for my country. I think the people are so proud that the rest of the world will now know we're from Slovakia."

On whether the size of a player matters...
"It's not about how tall you are. Even if you're tall, it doesn't mean you're going to make it 100%. You have to really want something and believe in it. There's nothing more important than that."

On whether she remembers Amanda Coetzer, who was 5'2" and made it to No.3 in the world...
"Of course I know about her. She was that kind of player who was still playing when I was starting to play tennis. I can't say I was looking up to her, but I knew she was really little, and it was good to see that there are some players who are so little who can become really successful in tennis."

On when she started becoming so driven...
"I don't know. I've had it since I was a little kid. When I play my best tennis, that's where you can see the power and the fight. You have to have something extra if you want to be one of the best tennis players in the world and you're not the tallest one out there. This is what I have extra, I think."

On following up upsets...
"It's not easy because many times at the big tournaments I've beaten a Top 10 player, but then you play against somebody you should beat and it's a completely different story. That's what I'm trying to work on now. Like this week I don't think it was easy for Ana to come out again after beating Serena, because then she was the favorite against Bouchard. I knew how she was feeling on the court."

Alireza on 1/25/2014(UTC), paul_pipkin on 1/25/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#78 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:40:16 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Li Conquers Australian Open...CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

- Li Na survived some tense moments in the first set then ran away with it in the second set to beat Dominika Cibulkova and win her second Grand Slam title at the Australian Open.

Going into it everything seemed stacked in Li's favor - she had won all four of the pair's previous meetings, she had been to three Grand Slam finals before and two here, and she has always been a crowd favorite in Melbourne, having endeared herself to them with some incredible runs the last few years.

Things couldn't have been closer in the first set though. Li came out stronger, jumping out to leads of 2-0 and 3-1, but Cibulkova broke right back and the two stayed neck-and-neck from there - 3-all, 4-all, 5-all - Li broke again for 6-5 and had a set point but missed it on a wide backhand down the line, and Cibulkova broke back to push the set to a tie-break. The tension on Rod Laver Arena was at its peak.

But that's when Li seemed to find her own peak - back-to-back winners, one off the forehand then one off the backhand, put Li ahead 2-0, and she barely looked back. She would take the breaker, 7-3.

From there it was no contest. The No.4-seeded Li stormed through the second set at love, never even being pushed to deuce in any game, and eventually closed out the No.20-seeded Cibulkova, 76(3) 60.

And so, Li made it third time lucky - she had fallen in her first two Australian Open finals, in 2011 to Kim Clijsters and in 2013 to Victoria Azarenka. Having fought off a match point in her third round match against Lucie Safarova, she's also the fourth woman in the Open Era to win the Aussie Open after saving match point (joining Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati and Serena Williams, who did it twice).

But perhaps more importantly, the woman who became Asia's first Grand Slam champion at the French Open in 2011 is now a two-time Grand Slam champion. She will return to No.3 in the world on Monday, the highest ranking ever for an Asian player, and she will only be a handful of points from No.2.

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
Alireza on 1/25/2014(UTC), paul_pipkin on 1/25/2014(UTC), Alain44 on 1/25/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#79 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:45:44 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Alireza on 1/25/2014(UTC), paul_pipkin on 1/25/2014(UTC)
Alireza
#80 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 6:34:58 AM(UTC)
Alireza

Was thanked: 965 time(s) in 508 post(s)
Tiger's favorite player ,Li, won the AO 2014! :) ;) Congrats to her and all of her fans! :)
This year is gonna be more amazing than last year, upcoming matches & tours could be awesome! :)) ;)
Persian Gulf FOREVER -Arabs can not change the history, they can't cheat-
3 users thanked Alireza for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 1/25/2014(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 1/25/2014(UTC), Alain44 on 1/25/2014(UTC)