logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
ROGERS CUP - MONTREAL 4-13 Aug
alexandreka
#64 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 1:55:09 PM(UTC)
alexandreka

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 32 post(s)

Originally Posted by: MushyForMasha Go to Quoted Post

Man, there sure are some goofy ideas that get posted around Sharapova. First of all, no serious tennis fan claims she is the best, but anybody who's paid any attention to her knows she's the last player in the WTA who would make "excuses" for herself or be afraid to play anybody (no player in the upper rankings is afraid to play another opponent--you wouldn't survive a week with that attitude). She said she was sick, therefore she was sick, end of story. She went to Montreal in good faith but decided it wasn't going to happen. Simple as that. Pulling out of Cincinnati pretty much validates all that. We're talking about one of the most competitive athletes in tennis (meaning mental toughness, desire to win, will to improve); she doesn't pull out of anything lightly.

The Olympics and Serena -- Maria got pasted, absolutely waxed by possibly the best of all time. Nobody gets that fact like Sharapova. I never heard anything from Sharapova later that suggested she was making excuses. She was asked questions about her virus or whatever it is. She said "I started feeling something the last day of the Olympics" (not quoting exactly). That's all. That's it. I don't find a hint in there of excuse-making. They asked the question, she gave them the information. What is the big freaking deal? What material is in that succinct little factoid that can generate so many theories and speculations and, in some case, drooling rants?

Once again I'll say this about being a Maria Sharapova fan: I'm a fan for a myriad of my own personal, subjective and utterly valid reasons, none of which are subject to anyone else's analysis or judgement. I find her a compelling player on the WTA because I find her a compelling player on the WTA. Period.

Oh...and bite me.

I totally agree.

1 user thanked alexandreka for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 8/12/2012(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#52 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 11:48:30 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1881 time(s) in 1250 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Aussie4 Go to Quoted Post

I'm positive with Vika's withdrawl Maria will be #1. However, it will be short lived, because she'll 100% lose it without defending Cinci. She'll more than likely drop to #3/#4 depending on how Aga and Manrina perform next week.

Okay, here's her numbers: She loses only 125 re montreal, no biggie. But 900 from Cincy is a bite. 

HOWEVER: OLYMPICS:

Women

The ITF/WTA ranking points agreement was announced on 16 February 2011. 

WTA ranking points (singles only)

685     Gold medal
470     Silver medal
340     Bronze medal
260     Fourth place
175     Quarterfinals
95       Third round
55       Second round
1         First round

http://2012.itftennis.co...yers/ranking-points.aspx

Thus, Maria will be down a net 555. (If you think this up & down among the top players matters.)

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Valkyre
#65 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 2:47:24 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

Her health issues are being proven 100% true since she pulls out from one of her favorite tournaments and one that she has to defened a truckload of points.

It is indeed very dissappointing, but not something she can do about it. I just hope that by the time US Open starts Maria will be in good condition. I dont care so much for the points, i just want her to be ok.

If Maria was afraid of Serena she would still could have played Toronto where Serena is not there, get a good amount of points and then if she is afraid pull out of Cinci with an excuse. That is not the case here, or if it is then Maria should stop playing tennis and  fire Thomas and her entire coaching stuff. This is not allowed when you are a tennis player the caliber of Maria. And I am certainly not implying that she is the best tennis player ever, like Mushymasha said only a hardcore fan would say something like that. She is one of the best to play this sport but certainly not the best. She doesnt even have to be the best to win me over, it is not her numbers that make me like her it her whole story. If she is afraid she will destroy everything I loved about her and I am sure as hell she aint the type to be scare s much as to pull out from entire tournamnets, even those where her "fear" does not attend.

She is ok Philli, dont worry, she is the kind of type who doesnt look back. :) Lets hope she gets well fast cause that thing she has now is real and not an excuse. At least I am personnaly 100% sure that this is the case.

We will see. It is not like she got decimated in the olympics. She played some really really great tennis and then she had a very bad match in the final. Well... everyone who played Serena in the olympics had a very bad match, so I think that it is more that Serena was playing like she was on... whatever... than her opponents being actually bad... :)

Philli Wan
#66 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 3:09:59 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 135 post(s)

Of course she'll be okay for the US Open.  There are 128 starters in the field.  I would estimate that Serena will be seeded number 2, after winning Cincy, which will put her down at the very bottom of the draw.  Maria, as 3 or 4, will be somewhere in the middle so the chances of meeting up with her will be 'probably' in the quaters or, more likely, in the semis.  The chances of somebody else knocking out The Hulk before then are always there, whereas in Cincy, it was a foregone conclusion that 'they' would have fixed it for a match up in the Final.

To me, what has come out of this year is that although Maria's results have been good...the best for many years... Her tennis has not improved at the same rate.  The major difference now is that She has Thomas to guide her through her matches and keep her on the straight and narrow when she loses her way.   Maria's lack of tactics and game plan variation are weaker than the actual tennis itself.  Thomas is the major factor for Maria's success.  If he were ever to part company with her, you would see the same deterioration in Tournament results as we have with Na Li, who lost her way after Thomas left her Team.

We can only hope for sheer determination on Maria's part for the US Open, since Thomas will not be able to help her during matches.

1 user thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 8/13/2012(UTC)
Valkyre
#68 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 3:30:47 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Thomas is a major factor Philli, but Thomas wasnt around to coach Maria between sets in French Open and he wasnt here, in the olympics.

She had to get out of tricky situations on her own quite sometimes. But yes generally she is not fond of tactics, she said so herself.

But in my opinion she has improved her game quite a bit, mainly her movement on court. Just by looking at her during the clay season but also grass season she looks much more comfortable. As far as her strikes it is not that she has improved on that part, but mostly in my opinion that she feels better, physically and mentally.

Sure Serena has left a personal scar in her, just like it happens to many top players. Even Federer has a mental scar when he sees the name Nadal.

I still want Maria to play as many matches against her as possible. I believe that once she stops feeling intimidated by her she will be much better.

Other than that her year is certainly amazing regardless of that one final match we saw. I am just very sad she as to miss Cincinatti. She loves that tournament and it is a great opportunity to go into USO with some tuning up...I really wish for her to get better.

Maria is a fighter, she has proven that much, over and over again. I am sure she is going to give her best to be at best possible condition for US. One statistic is proving how good and consistent she is this season... she played 10 tournaments and she went to 7 finals... that is by itself outstanding! I hope she finishes strong. Too bad that right now where she could win points she has to withdraw due to illness.
Aussie4
#67 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 4:52:52 AM(UTC)
Aussie4

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 31 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Philli Wan Go to Quoted Post

Of course she'll be okay for the US Open.  There are 128 starters in the field.  I would estimate that Serena will be seeded number 2, after winning Cincy, which will put her down at the very bottom of the draw.  Maria, as 3 or 4, will be somewhere in the middle so the chances of meeting up with her will be 'probably' in the quaters or, more likely, in the semis.  The chances of somebody else knocking out The Hulk before then are always there, whereas in Cincy, it was a foregone conclusion that 'they' would have fixed it for a match up in the Final.

To me, what has come out of this year is that although Maria's results have been good...the best for many years... Her tennis has not improved at the same rate.  The major difference now is that She has Thomas to guide her through her matches and keep her on the straight and narrow when she loses her way.   Maria's lack of tactics and game plan variation are weaker than the actual tennis itself.  Thomas is the major factor for Maria's success.  If he were ever to part company with her, you would see the same deterioration in Tournament results as we have with Na Li, who lost her way after Thomas left her Team.

We can only hope for sheer determination on Maria's part for the US Open, since Thomas will not be able to help her during matches.

What? Thomas was coaching Maria when Li won the French. It wasn't the lack of Thomas that killed Li, it was the bombardment with media that completely overwhelmed her, and she is only starting to find her form.

frida
#69 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 4:59:00 AM(UTC)
frida

Was thanked: 1671 time(s) in 674 post(s)
Get well soon Maria!
CROUCHING TIGER
#70 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 7:32:50 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2870 time(s) in 1723 post(s)
She will, Frida, just got such a mental uppercut at the Olympic Final it's still

one big mess between her ears. Lots of work for her excellent TEAM MASHA!!!

(don't like though she fakes also Cincy...BAD GIRL; spanking on her great butt:)LOL)...

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
fking_crazy
#59 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 7:38:30 AM(UTC)
fking_crazy

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Oh, I agree with you, of course, but there are those drooling lovesick fans who frequent the Forum and are convinced that Maria is the Best Tennis Player that 'God' ever created. Poor souls.

WTF?! I left the forum a coupla years ago because of those poor souls. Now they're still around with a new slogan of the Best Tennis Player that 'God' ever created. God should've been completely dumb and blind!!!

The good thing : Philli's still around (Good for you Philli) and so is the Banana.

Philli Wan
#71 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 8:54:44 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Just checking the ranking figures, it really looks like Serena will be the new Number 1 if she wins Cincy unless Agnieska can pull something out of the bag and beat her in the Final.  To me, that is bad news to the WTA and the game in general.  Quite an achievement for a player that was on the verge of death last year.  I cant help but wonder about Venus either, who has an illness that robs her of energy if she exerts herself.  Oh really?  Are we talking about the same Venus that won the Wimbledon doubles and the Olympic doubles in the space of 3 weeks. 

If they are intending to stay active until Rio it will be a sad time for the WTA.  Women's Tennis will suffer and lose a lot of spectators.  They will become an embarrassment to the WTA if the are in any way being 'protected' to keep the American flag flying over Tennis.

1 user thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
alexandreka on 8/13/2012(UTC)
Valkyre
#72 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 9:31:38 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

^^ Oh they are "protected" one way or another I am certain of that. But even the Gods seem to be aware of that hence they ripped of that flag during the ceremony...

Anyway, I couldnt care less about Serena's ranking to be honest... the moment she behaves like a bitch on and off court, I am not even bothering with her likes. To me she will always be an extremely good tennis player who showed no respect to the sport. Will never forget her threats of beating up officials her verbal abuses over linesmen and her constant bitching whenever someone tells her she crossed the gdamn line.

I look more than just numbers to a player, I look more into the kind of person he/she is and what it took to get him where he is. All that while showing outmost respect for the sport and act like a true ambassador of it and not like a spoilt brat behaving as if he owns everything that has to do with the game.
Aussie4
#73 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 5:42:58 PM(UTC)
Aussie4

Serena has a lot of points to defend at the US (which im sure she will, and then some) but still, she won't gain a lot if she wins like title, only about 600. Whereas Maria (and Vika) both lost 3rd round last year, so they can gain a truckload of points.

This is gonna be interesting.

On a side note: Glad to see Petra and Li FINALLY finding some form! Good luck to both woman today!
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan
#74 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:36:50 AM(UTC)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Maria posted on Facebook about her August 20th debut of "Sugarpova" in New York. No mention of her health. It kind of makes you wonder where her priorities are right now.

No tennis played in Montreal or Cincy, but well enough to show up in New York next week for her candy. Is she practicing for or even thinking about the U.S. Open, that little tournament coming up that's sort of important.....

And, for the record, Li Na and Kvitova looked awful in the final. Competitive, but an error-filled chokefest. Not impressed with either one. Serena is laughing at the rest of the tour.
Valkyre
#75 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:23:42 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Originally Posted by: Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan Go to Quoted Post
Maria posted on Facebook about her August 20th debut of "Sugarpova" in New York. No mention of her health. It kind of makes you wonder where her priorities are right now.

No tennis played in Montreal or Cincy, but well enough to show up in New York next week for her candy. Is she practicing for or even thinking about the U.S. Open, that little tournament coming up that's sort of important.....

And, for the record, Li Na and Kvitova looked awful in the final. Competitive, but an error-filled chokefest. Not impressed with either one. Serena is laughing at the rest of the tour.
She is OBLIGATED to make that Sugarpova comment... you know she signed a contract right? You know that probably that contract wants Maria to promote this product right? You also realise that it is pathetic marketing if each time she is promoting a product she goes on about telling people how bad she feels and how bad her health is at the moment right? That would be the worst product promotion in ages...

This facebook post is like a commercial. Whether Maria likes to make such promotions or not is not up to her. She signed a contract that demands her promotion and attention, thus she has to act in that respect.

1 user thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
Aussie4 on 8/14/2012(UTC)
Philli Wan
#76 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:33:51 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Couple of things.  The new rankings were posted this morning...after the Montreal Final.  A bit confusing.  Here they are:

Azarenka, Victoria
31/07/89
BLR

Sharapova, Maria
19/04/87
RUS

Radwanska, Agnieszka
06/03/89
POL

Williams, Serena
26/09/81
USA

Kvitova, Petra
08/03/90
CZE

So, even though Vika and Maria are not playing, it doesn't look like Serena will make the Number 1 spot after all.  Maria will lose 900 points, dropping her to 7695....3rd in the rankings.  A win for Serena will take her to 8045, but if Agnieska does well she could, theoretically, take over the Number 1 spot for a while.

Valkyre
#77 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:45:07 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Couple of things.  The new rankings were posted this morning...after the Montreal Final.  A bit confusing.  Here they are:

Azarenka, Victoria
31/07/89
BLR

Sharapova, Maria
19/04/87
RUS

Radwanska, Agnieszka
06/03/89
POL

Williams, Serena
26/09/81
USA

Kvitova, Petra
08/03/90
CZE

So, even though Vika and Maria are not playing, it doesn't look like Serena will make the Number 1 spot after all.  Maria will lose 900 points, dropping her to 7695....3rd in the rankings.  A win for Serena will take her to 8045, but if Agnieska does well she could, theoretically, take over the Number 1 spot for a while.

thanks for doing the math for us Philli!

That Cincinnati withdrawal really hurts me and obviously Maria. It is one of her favorite tournaments. But that trophy last year must have been the ugliest trophy ever no? lol

Also in other Cincinnati news.... Poor Eleni Daniilidou my country girl... look who she is up with...!! lol
Aussie4
#78 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:31:12 AM(UTC)
Aussie4

Yeah, the new rankings make no sense to me.

The way i worked it out was Maria lost 125, and Vika lost 395, which theoretically puts Maria in #1.

However, Maria is still ahead of Vika in the race for #1 at the end of the year. At the end of the day, the amount of points they've accumulated to qualify for Istanbul will be the amount of points they finish the year with (as well as what they earn in Istanbul). Serena will be hot on Vika + Maria's trail though

Even if Aga takes #1, she has both Tokyo and Beijing to defend, which is 1800 pts (nearly as much as a GS win) in the space of 2 weeks. She won't hold on to it for very long.

The final was entertaining, much like the Rome final. I don't care if it was error filled, it was intense and i watched the whole thing, so it basically had me hooked.

Serena is in a class of her own though, ain't gonna deny that.
Philli Wan
#79 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:56:42 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Slight correction. Serena made it to the second round last year before withdrawing with an injured toe!!!. Probably thumped it on the bedpost whilst stumbling to the bathroom to take a pee in the middle of the night. Anyway, if she does win, her total points score will only be 830 ..... 900 minus the 70 from last year. This will still give her 7905...but anyway not enough to be the Top seed at the US Open.
Valkyre
#80 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:04:06 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

^^ HAhaha I remember that injured toe thing! That sounded so hilarious! I guess next thing we are going to hear is withdrawal due to broken nail lol.

Anyway as far as Radnwanska goes I wouldnt expect her to do anything significant...at the olympics she got herself out of the equation pretty fast no?And she has a lot of points to defend as you said. I expect Maria to have a secure spot in no3 at least, but hey, i am not the guy usually expecting stuff. But no3 sounds like logical to me. She can even be no2 if she is up to her best game and has a lot of tournaments to go where last year she didnt like tokyo etc. Hell if she goes into crazy good mode she can go no1... as long as Serena breaks a toe or something lol...

hey...never say never! :D
Aussie4
#81 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:18:23 AM(UTC)
Aussie4

Originally Posted by: Valkyre Go to Quoted Post
^^ HAhaha I remember that injured toe thing! That sounded so hilarious! I guess next thing we are going to hear is withdrawal due to broken nail lol.

Anyway as far as Radnwanska goes I wouldnt expect her to do anything significant...at the olympics she got herself out of the equation pretty fast no?And she has a lot of points to defend as you said. I expect Maria to have a secure spot in no3 at least, but hey, i am not the guy usually expecting stuff. But no3 sounds like logical to me. She can even be no2 if she is up to her best game and has a lot of tournaments to go where last year she didnt like tokyo etc. Hell if she goes into crazy good mode she can go no1... as long as Serena breaks a toe or something lol...

hey...never say never! :D

I say we push her down the stairs 

However, we're gonna need a lot of people, she's pretty strong. Those steriods you know?