logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

No more hair dye
vanessQ
#1 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 3:35:07 AM(UTC)
vanessQ

Groups: Registered

My mom had always been happy with her beautiful, silky, chocolate brunette hair. So the day she found one strand which suddenly turned from a smooth brown to a wiry white, she was annoyed. She was only forty, after all, how could she be going white? I found this here: Going Gray in Style

“Was that the day you got the credit card bill?” I asked her.

“I do not know,” she said, still looking at the strand in wonderment.

It’s been a few years now, and the hair at my mom’s temples continues to fade slowly into white. She doesn’t pluck it anymore, but she still doesn’t like the white because she buys into what Prevention.com says is “the long-standing perception that men with gray hair seem wiser, while women just seem old.” Thus, while only seven percent of women in 1950 colored their hair; “today, it's closer to 95 percent.”

When dying your hair gets old

Fortunately, there is another option. While many women continue to dye their hair, there is also a brand new trend. According to Oprah Winfrey Magazine, “a growing number of women-courageous, rebellious, or just exhausted by the tedium of coloring-are going brazenly, vividly gray.” If you’re up for it, here are some recommendations for making that transition.

The silver number

If you currently dye your hair, “wait until your roots are at least 60% silver before giving up your dye job, so your brand new gray hair hue will look symmetrical and natural as it grows in,” is a suggestion from colorist Jennifer J., of Beverly Hills, CA.

Hydrate

Also, gray hair tends to look dull and is more prone to become dry and brittle. Use a hydrating shampoo to add luster to your hair and try using a straight iron to reduce frizz and improve shine.

Shielding the gray

Lastly, try following a few preventative measures. Sun exposure can trigger your gray or white hair to yellow. And the gels and oils formulated to treat this could not be much better-use them with caution or else your hair may end up somewhat blue. 

Sources

Oprah Magazine

Prevention.com

Dartagnan
#2 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 9:40:06 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

The Dangers in Hair Coloring and Safer Alternatives

Learn more:http://www.naturalnews.c...22575.html#ixzz1ssHYbxKM

vanessQ;314962 wrote:

My mom had always been happy with her beautiful, silky, chocolate brunette hair. So the day she found one strand which suddenly turned from a smooth brown to a wiry white, she was annoyed. She was only forty, after all, how could she be going white? I found this here: Going Gray in Style

“Was that the day you got the credit card bill?” I asked her.

“I do not know,” she said, still looking at the strand in wonderment.

It’s been a few years now, and the hair at my mom’s temples continues to fade slowly into white. She doesn’t pluck it anymore, but she still doesn’t like the white because she buys into what Prevention.com says is “the long-standing perception that men with gray hair seem wiser, while women just seem old.” Thus, while only seven percent of women in 1950 colored their hair; “today, it's closer to 95 percent.”

When dying your hair gets old

Fortunately, there is another option. While many women continue to dye their hair, there is also a brand new trend. According to Oprah Winfrey Magazine, “a growing number of women-courageous, rebellious, or just exhausted by the tedium of coloring-are going brazenly, vividly gray.” If you’re up for it, here are some recommendations for making that transition.

The silver number

If you currently dye your hair, “wait until your roots are at least 60% silver before giving up your dye job, so your brand new gray hair hue will look symmetrical and natural as it grows in,” is a suggestion from colorist Jennifer J., of Beverly Hills, CA.

Hydrate

Also, gray hair tends to look dull and is more prone to become dry and brittle. Use a hydrating shampoo to add luster to your hair and try using a straight iron to reduce frizz and improve shine.

Shielding the gray

Lastly, try following a few preventative measures. Sun exposure can trigger your gray or white hair to yellow. And the gels and oils formulated to treat this could not be much better-use them with caution or else your hair may end up somewhat blue. 

Sources

Oprah Magazine

Prevention.com

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Dartagnan
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:27:56 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Hypertrichosis (also called Adams syndrome) is an abnormal amount of hair growth on the body;[1][2] extensive cases of hypertrichosis have informally been called werewolf syndrome.[3] The two distinct types of hypertrichosis are generalized hypertrichosis, which occurs over the entire body, and localized hypertrichosis, which is restricted to a certain area.[1] Hypertrichosis can be either congenital (present at birth) or acquired later in life.[3][4] The excess growth of hair occurs in areas of the skin with the exception of androgen-dependent hair of the pubic area, face, and axillary regions.[5]

Several circus sideshow performers in the 19th and early 20th centuries, such as Adam Carr Sr, had hypertrichosis.[6] Presently, its effects are not so common. The most recent case was discovered by scientist Conor Mckechnie. Working in Milton Keynes, England, he came across the disease after mistaking a work colleague for a chimpanzee. That work colleague was Adam Carr. Adam was a highflying captain of the local hockey team but contracted the disease around the age of 27. Strong signs of the disease were greatly noticeable when his scalp began to connect to his eyebrows, which later spread around his eyes and across his neck and back. Two years later, the hair color pigment changed completely to a bright, frosty grey color, resulting in Adam having one of his many nicknames, Fishwire Monkey.

Stephan Bibrowski, also known as Lionel the Lion-faced Man, had congenital terminal hypertrichosis.

Stephan Bibrowski, a famous person with hypertrichosis

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.