logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Best athletes, meet you at Rio Olympic Games 2016.
Dartagnan
#21 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:13:28 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Russia’s Seifula Magomedov - European taekwondo champion

May 4, 2012 00:56 Moscow Time

Russia’s Seifula Magomedov - European taekwondo champion

Photo: EPA

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russia’s Seifula Magomedov has won the European Championship in Taekwondo, which kicked off on Thursday in Manchester, the UK.

In the finals of his weight category up to 54 kg the athlete beat Mikhail Aliyev of Azerbaijan - 13:1. This gold award was the fourth for Magomedov at continental championships.

TASS

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_04/73704941/

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Dartagnan
#22 Posted : Sunday, May 06, 2012 8:09:34 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russian taekwondo queen defends European title

May 6, 2012 14:39 Moscow Time

Russian taekwondo queen defends European title

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russia’s Anastasia Baryshnikova has won the European taekwondo “gold” in the under 73 kg category at the women’s taekwondo championships in Manchester (UK).

Milica Mandic of Serbia came second.

Maeve Mellier of Farnce and Melda Akcan of Germany shared the third place.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_06/73947721/

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 5/7/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#23 Posted : Sunday, May 06, 2012 8:10:59 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Velikaya wins world saber fencing title

Tags: RussiafencingNewsWorldSports

May 6, 2012 13:48 Moscow Time

Velikaya wins world saber fencing title

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russian saber fencer Sofia Velikaya will take home a gold medal from the World Fencing Cup in Bologna, Italy.

Olga Kharlan of Ukraine won the “silver”, and a U.S. and Korean fencers, Mariel Zagunis and Ji-Yeon Kimm shared the “bronze”.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_06/73942967/

Dartagnan
#24 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 3:18:15 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

People say that Tennis sport comes from fencing sport. 

Russian female epee fencers win World Cup stage in Rio

Tags: RussiaWorldfencingNewsSports

May 7, 2012 15:20 Moscow Time

Russian female epee fencers win World Cup stage in Rio

Photo: RIA Novosti

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russia’s female epee fencers won gold in the team event at the 2012 Fencing World Cup’s stage in Rio de Janeiro on Monday.

Second and third place went to the teams of Italy and Romania, respectively. 

paul_pipkin on 5/7/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#25 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 5:10:03 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Putin scores in hockey exhibition

May 8, 2012 00:49 Moscow Time

Russia’s newly-installed president Vladimir Putin played in a nationally-televised ice hockey exhibition game after he was sworn in on Monday, RIA Novosti reports.

Putin scored one goal and set up another while playing for a Russian Amateur Hockey League select against a legends’ team boasting Vyacheslav Fetisov, a two-time Olympic gold medalist and NHL Hall of Famer who is also a senator for the ruling United Russia party.

Putin’s team won 6:5 in a final shootout.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_08/74092787/

Dartagnan
#26 Posted : Tuesday, May 08, 2012 5:15:05 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russian track and field athletes on winning streak in Qatar

May 12, 2012 13:25 Moscow Time

Russian track and field athletes on winning streak in Qatar

Maria Abakumova. Photo: EPA

Print
Email
Add to blog

On Saturday, Russian track and field athletes won three golds in the first leg of the 2012 Diamond League in Doha, Qatar.

Maria Abakumova prevailed in the javelin throw event, while Anastasia Savchenko and Alexander Menkov got the best of their rivals in the pole vaulting and long jump disciplines, respectively.

TASS

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_12/74492885/

Dartagnan
#27 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 10:33:14 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia makes good start at Women's Boxing Worlds

Tags: NewsWorldboxingRussiaSports

May 12, 2012 15:10 Moscow Time

Russia makes good start at Women's Boxing Worlds

Irina Poteyeva (R) during fight. Photo: EPA

Print
Email
Add to blog

On Saturday, Russia’s Viktoria Gurkovich and Irina Poteyeva got the better of their Slovakian and Serbian rivals, respectively at the 2012 World Women’s Boxing Championships in Qinhuangdao, China.

The Qinhuangdao event is the qualifying competition for the 2012 London Olympic Games where women’s boxing will be for the first time presented in the 51-kg and 75-kg categories.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_12/74505595/

Russia’s Sofia Ochigava has entered the world championship in women’s boxing in China by defeating Puerto Rico’s Kiria Tapia 19-7. Her next fight is on Monday with Sweden’s Helena Falk.

Ochigava is a two-time world champion in her sport.

The current championship, which will close next Saturday, will give its winners tickets to the London Olympics.

Women’s boxing is a newcomer to the family of Olympic disciplines.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_12/74529269/

Dartagnan
#28 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 10:45:01 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Anand vs. Gelfand World Chess Championship 2012

May 11, 2012 16:32 Moscow Time

© Photo: SXC.hu

Print
Email
Add to blog

The official 2012 FIDE World Chess Championship between the reigning champion Viswanathan Anand of India and his challenger Boris Gelfand (born in Minsk Belarusia in 1968, URSS- Russian&Israeli Nationality) has started in Moscow.

The last time Moscow hosted the World Championship was in 1985 when Anatoly Karpov and Harry Kasparov fought for the title. The match between the two was described as the “Match of the century”. The ongoing match is a unique one because it is being held at a leading museum in the world, says FIFA President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov.

“The Russian Chess Association offered the State Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow to host the match. It offered the largest prize fund and this very interesting location. Chess is a combination of culture and sports. In view of this, we decided to hold the match at the Tretyakov Gallery. This will draw attention to chess as well as the world famous paintings in the museum,” Kirsan Ilyumzhinov said.

The organizers of the match assessed the technical capabilities of the museum and concluded that it is an ideal place for the event, says general director of the museum, Irina Lebedeva.

“The world champion and the challenger visited the museum and went from one hall to another with acute fascination and did not want to leave the gallery. We understood that this would be a significant, effective and interesting event,” Irina Lebedeva said.

The Grandmasters will have to play 12 matches under classical control. Should the match be tied 6-6, tie breaks will occur, first employing rapid games, and then blitz games. These matches will be held up to ten times if one of the players fails to win. In the case of 10 matches ending in a draw, a final match will be held where the white figures will get five minutes, while the blacks will only get four minutes. But the white figures must win. In case of a draw, blacks will win the match.

The matches start 3 pm Moscow time, and the entrance is free. The game will be broadcast live with commentaries in Russian and English languages. The prize fund is 2.55 million U.S. dollars. The winner will get 60 percent of this sum and the loser will get the rest. Viswanathan Anand started the first match on May 11 with white figures. 

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_11/74416633/

Dartagnan
#29 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 10:59:46 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia crushes Sweden

May 12, 2012 01:17 Moscow Time

Russia crushes Sweden

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russian hockey players beat the Swedes and will move on to the quarter finals of the World Cup.

The Russian national hockey team defeated Sweden in the fifth match of the preliminary group stage of the 2012 World Hockey Championship and secured their early exit from the group.

The match ended in Stockholm with a score of 7:3 (1-2, 2-1, 4-0)

The Russians won a fifth consecutive victory at the world championship and are leading in points, the Swedes are now in second place.

The next match of the Russian national team will be held on May 13 with the Czechs.

Goals:

Russia: Popov – 10:27, Malkin – 36:00, 42:40, 51:08, Yemelin – 38:27, Perezhogin – 40:15, Denisov – 59:06

Sweden: Karlsson – 05:57,  Zetterberg – 14:33, Franzen – 29:26

RIA, IIHF

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_12/74463010/

Dartagnan
#30 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 2:37:27 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia’s Hockey Team wins again

May 13, 2012 20:55 Moscow Time

Russia’s Hockey Team wins again

Print
Email
Add to blog

Alexander Perezhogin scored the winner in the first minute, and top-seeded Russia kept riding high with a solid 2-0 win over the Czech Republic on Sunday.

The Czechs remain third in the Stockholm group with 11 points.

Yevgeni Malkin also scored his tournament-leading seventh goal for Russia, which has racked up six straight regulation victories.

This was just the latest installment in a long-standing, sometimes bitter international hockey rivalry. From the 1960’s to the 1980’s, the Soviet Union generally got the better of Czechoslovakia, although the latter won titles in 1972, 1976, 1977, and 1985.

More recently, the Czechs beat Russia for gold in 2010 and bronze last year. It’s always a battle even though the political overtones are gone.

Russian goalie Konstantin Barulin got his first shutout and second win of the tournament. Mikhail Biryukov served as Barulin’s backup, while number one netminder Semyon Varlamov sat this one out as a healthy scratch.

Jakub Kovar suited up between the pipes for the Czechs, who enjoyed a 30-23 edge in shots on goal.

The Russians wasted no time, opening the scoring 24 seconds in. Perezhogin took Russian captain Ilya Nikulin’s pass behind the goal line, stepped out, and tucked a wraparound past Kovar’s blocker on the ice.

Petr Tenkrat nearly tied it up midway through the period when he entered the Russian zone on the right zone and hammered a slapshot off the crossbar. The Czechs achieved some good puck possession during a slashing penalty to Sergei Shirokov, but couldn’t break through. Barulin was sharp as the Czechs outshot Russia 14-7 through 20 minutes.

The teams continued tangling tightly deep into the second period, with good skating but few golden opportunities, as competing chants resounded from the flag-waving Czech and Russian fans. There was plenty of tough sparring along the boards.

Late in the period, Alexei Tereshenko went down in apparent pain after taking a stick off a faceoff from Czech centre Petr Nedved, but the officials did not assess a penalty on the play.

Tereshenko would draw a minor, however, with 1:20 remaining in the middle frame, as Martin Erat hooked him in the neutral zone. The Russians didn’t score before the horn, but carried a two-man advantage into the third after Czech defenceman Lukas Krajicek was called for interference.

Just after the first Czech penalty expired in the third period, relentless Russian pressure paid off as Malkin one-timed home an Alexander Popov feed from the hash marks at 0:44.

Things got chippy halfway through the third as the Czechs aggressively hounded Malkin away from Kovar's goal crease, and the Russian superstar wound up with a slashing penalty out of the melee. The Russian fans chanted his name in joyous disregard.

It wasn't the only time the in-house DJ would spin the Beastie Boys' "(You Gotta Fight) For Your Right (to Party!)", even though fighting is not permitted in international hockey.

The Czechs called a timeout to try to conjure up some offense with six minutes left. But instead, the Russians nearly grabbed a three-goal lead when Czech defenceman Jakub Krejcik coughed up the puck and Nikolai Zherdev raced off on a breakaway, barely failing to score five-hole.

Only with 10 seconds left did the Czechs manage to pull Kovar for the extra attacker, and there would be no miracle two-goal comeback.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_13/74620780/

Dartagnan
#31 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 2:42:15 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia’s Lapshina wins Racewalking Worlds

May 13, 2012 17:54 Moscow Time

Russia’s Lapshina wins Racewalking Worlds

Olga Kaniskina. Photo: RIA Novosti

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russia’s Elena Lapshina has won the 20-km event in Racewalking Worlds held in the Volga city of Saransk.

She made it in 1 hour 27 min 38 sec.

Russia’s Olga Kaniskina took gold and Spain’s Maria Jose Poves – bronze. 

Team Russia was also first in the overall medal count.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_13/74609371/

Dartagnan
#32 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 2:44:29 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russian rhythmic gymnasts lead at World Cup's 5th stage in France

May 13, 2012 13:56 Moscow Time

Russian rhythmic gymnasts lead at World Cup's 5th stage in France

Yevgeniya Kanayeva. Photo: RIA Novosti

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russian rhythmic gymnasts have taken all the medals in the all around for Rhythmic Gymnastics at the 5th stage of the World Cup in the French city of Corbeil-Essonnes.   

Yevgeniya Kanayeva won gold proving her status of one the world’s best rhythmic gymnasts.

Alexandra Merkulova and Daria Dmitriyeva won solver and bronze respectively.

TASS

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_13/74590972/

Dartagnan
#33 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 2:48:01 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia hauls gymnastics medals

May 13, 2012 19:35 Moscow Time

Russia hauls gymnastics medals

Viktoria Komova. Photo: RIA Novosti

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russia’s Viktoria Komova has won gold in the parallel bars competition at the European championships in gymnastics in Brussels.

The silver went to her compatriot Anastasiya Grishina.

Russian competitors also took two gold, one silver and two bronze medals in the junior division.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_13/74615767/

Dartagnan
#34 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:13:53 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russian athletes - winners of World Challenge

May 16, 2012 18:55 Moscow Time

Russian athletes - winners of World Challenge

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russian Anastasia Savchenko and Dmitry Tarabarin have taken gold at a stage of the IAAF World Challenge in Korea’s Daegu.

Savchenko was the best in pole vault while Tarabarin made it in the javelin.

Russia’s hammer thrower Tatyana Lysenko took silver.

The next stage is scheduled for May 20 in Brazil.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_16/74945550/

Dartagnan
#35 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2012 2:37:23 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia’s women’s volleyball team qualifies for London Olympics

May 25, 2012 22:08 Moscow Time

Russia’s women’s volleyball team qualifies for London Olympics

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russia’s women’s volleyball team has qualified for the 2012 London Olympic Games two matches ahead of the end of the qualifying tournament.

In Japan, the Russian team with five wins is the uncontested leader at the tournament, which is held in Japan where four teams will get the chances to play in London. The Russians are now qualified for the Olympics in London.

On Friday, the Russians won a 3-1 victory over Serbia and have 15 points. In the next matches they will play against the Japanese and Taiwanese.  

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_25/75996285/

Dartagnan
#36 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2012 10:28:36 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia Montpellier’s top medal winner

May 27, 2012 22:14 Moscow Time

Russia Montpellier’s top medal winner

Print
Email
Add to blog

With two gold, one silver and two bronze awards under its belt, Russia is the top medal winner of the European men’s championships in gymnastics, which have closed in Montpellier, France.

The UK came second. Greece and Romania shared the third and the fourth places.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_27/76162110/

Dartagnan
#37 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:19:40 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russian female weightlifter sets new world record

May 31, 2012 16:56 Moscow Time

Russian female weightlifter sets new world record

Photo: AFP

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russian weightlifter Svetlana Tsarukaeva has set a new snatch world record lifting 118 kg.

She beat her previous record of117 kg set at the 2011 World championship.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_05_31/76599832/

Dartagnan
#38 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2012 9:15:31 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

New Russian record in weightlifting

Jun 1, 2012 19:40 Moscow Time

New Russian record in weightlifting

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russia’s Nadezhda Evstyukhina has won the Champion of Russia title and set a new record. She lifted 294 kg in clean and jerk breaking her previous record of 164 kg.

The event was a qualifier for the London Summer Olympics.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_06_01/76740723/

Dartagnan
#39 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2012 9:17:05 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia wins rhythmic gymnastics group event

Jun 2, 2012 15:04 Moscow Time

Russia wins rhythmic gymnastics group event

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russia has won a rhythmic gymnastics group event at the European championships in Nizhny Novgorod, leaving behind Belarus and Italy.

The Russian team features the leaders, including the 2008 Beijing Olympics winner Yevgeniya Kanayeva.

In all, the competitions have attracted 500 gymnasts from 34 countries.

TASS, Vesti.ru

Alireza on 6/2/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#40 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2012 9:18:30 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia’s canoe team gets gold at Worlds

Jun 2, 2012 17:17 Moscow Time

Russia’s canoe team gets gold at Worlds

Photo: AFP

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russia’s female canoe team Natalya Lobova, Vera Sobetova, Anastasia Sergeeva and Yuliana Salakhova has taken gold at women’s K4 race at the Moscow World Cup stage.

Their canoe covered the distance in 1 min 50,6 sec outkayaking Germany.

Bronze went to other Russian kayakers.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_06_02/76819794/

Alireza on 6/2/2012(UTC)