logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

20 Pages«<1516171819>»
Games of the XXX Olympiad -- Team Russia
Valkyre
#321 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 2:40:25 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

robb;318232 wrote:

Alireza;318219 wrote:
Well done Maria!

We believe that you will win US Open!

Go Go Maria

Not if its windy. And not if she comes up against she-man. Fact is I thought the final was an utter humiliation Ok, she has pretty much done the same to azarenka and wozza, but I though maria would at least make a fight of it. At one point she-man had served more aces than maria had won POINTS! TIME FOR A RE-THINK ON HOW TO PLAY HER, BECAUSE SHE ISN'T GOING TO GO AWAY. Overall a good year, but maria has failed in 3 out of 4 big finals in the past 12 months. Her serve is a big problem when conditions are'nt JUST right for her, and her game still involves hitting the ball heder than the other player. Simply, that ain't gonna work against she-man or some of the others like azarenka who can blast it back too.......

To me it is not just a "good year"... seriously guys? All this succes is just a "good year?" No matter how hard I try I cannot find a better year than the one Maria is having right now for years... maybe it is her best year ever in fact...

She is the most consistent player on Tour atm and has appeared in 7?8? finals is it now? That is not considered just a "good year". It is something more. Olympics are not a defeat per se. No newspaper is going to write Maria lost.... Maria WON the silver medal in her first olympics appearance.... her FIRST I repeat.

And if she is going to do well in Rogers Cup then that will prove once again how much she has improved to endure so much tennis back to back. Maria is on a roll according to me. She can improve a lot ofcourse, but she has improved dramatically over the last few years.

Everybody talks about how disappointed they are about the final score , and I can understand that, but why nobody is saying the same about Roger Federer? Everybody had something to say about Maria, well I didnt see 17 Slam Champion do any better... he got completely destroyed as well...sometimes things just dont work out...no need to go jump out of some window in despair...

1 user thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
Aussie4 on 8/7/2012(UTC)
Aussie4
#322 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:13:21 AM(UTC)
Aussie4

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 31 post(s)

Valkyre;318250 wrote:

robb;318232 wrote:

Alireza;318219 wrote:
Well done Maria!

We believe that you will win US Open!

Go Go Maria

Not if its windy. And not if she comes up against she-man. Fact is I thought the final was an utter humiliation Ok, she has pretty much done the same to azarenka and wozza, but I though maria would at least make a fight of it. At one point she-man had served more aces than maria had won POINTS! TIME FOR A RE-THINK ON HOW TO PLAY HER, BECAUSE SHE ISN'T GOING TO GO AWAY. Overall a good year, but maria has failed in 3 out of 4 big finals in the past 12 months. Her serve is a big problem when conditions are'nt JUST right for her, and her game still involves hitting the ball heder than the other player. Simply, that ain't gonna work against she-man or some of the others like azarenka who can blast it back too.......

To me it is not just a "good year"... seriously guys? All this succes is just a "good year?" No matter how hard I try I cannot find a better year than the one Maria is having right now for years... maybe it is her best year ever in fact...

She is the most consistent player on Tour atm and has appeared in 7?8? finals is it now? That is not considered just a "good year". It is something more. Olympics are not a defeat per se. No newspaper is going to write Maria lost.... Maria WON the silver medal in her first olympics appearance.... her FIRST I repeat.

And if she is going to do well in Rogers Cup then that will prove once again how much she has improved to endure so much tennis back to back. Maria is on a roll according to me. She can improve a lot ofcourse, but she has improved dramatically over the last few years.

Everybody talks about how disappointed they are about the final score , and I can understand that, but why nobody is saying the same about Roger Federer? Everybody had something to say about Maria, well I didnt see 17 Slam Champion do any better... he got completely destroyed as well...sometimes things just dont work out...no need to go jump out of some window in despair...

This is definitely Maria's best year. I mean she has won 3 CLAY titles, and a silver medal, countless final appearences, and out of her 10/11??? tournaments, only 3 of them she hasn't made the final.

I mean if you aren't impressed by that, then seriously, lower your expectations. All i wanted this year was for her to win a few bigger tournaments and be more consistent. She has definitely done that AND THEN SOME.

Ignoring Serena, who shouldn't be playing on the women's circuit, regardless of what anyone says, Maria is the most consistent player of 2012. Definitely a feat for a tennis player who couldn't serve under 10 DF's per match a few years back

robb
#324 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:44:58 AM(UTC)
robb

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)

You can't 'ignore' she-man though, try as we might she is not going away. Her physical 'attributes', shall we say, add the power to the accuracy of her serve.
That said I will say that at the start of 2011 I would have prayed for maria to get to a GS final. It almost looked impossible. And yes of course progress has been made since then, both clay court seasons,the finals she has reached, the french title. Brilliant. I am just saying that in three of the BIG finals since then she has got to, she has been outplayed. And her serve hasn't helped, (despite it being more accurate in Paris). At the olympics it was obvs who was gonna win after the first 2 games. Her best year? Debatable. Didn't she win the end of tour final against serena in 2004 after her wimbledon win?
I hope she wins in NY, BUT THE'WINDY' CITY may not be to her liking now.

One other thing though. After azarenka won in Australia, a number of pundits said the future of women's tennis was kvitova and azarenka. Since then the last two majors have been won by maria and she-man, who contested the olympic final! These are the same two who contested the wimbledon final of 2004!! Just a thought.....

paul_pipkin
#326 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:38:37 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

OFF-TOPIC--Sorry, I can't resist.  My San Antonio kontraktnika Becky Hammon (#9), with Team Russia:

Russia held off Turkey 66-63 in a dramatic finish to seal a semi-final place as Birsel Vardarli came up short with a three-point attempt on the buzzer.

Russia defeat Turkey in the women's Basketball

Evgeniya Belyakova (#5, centre) of Russia celebrates with Becky Hammon (#9) and Natalia Vodopyanova (#6) after defeating Turkey in the women's Basketball quater-final on Day 11 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Basketball Arena.

The European champions, who have won bronze at the last two Olympic Games, had held a 12-point lead early in the second half but found themselves in a tense fourth-quarter battle after Turkey came back to tie it.

Becky Hammon made an excellent lay-up to break a 62-62 tie with 13 seconds left, and it then came down to free throws.

Will play France in the semis on Thurs.

ДАВАЙ Becky!!!  ДАВАЙ РОССИЯ!!!

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
paul_pipkin
#329 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 11:42:46 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

It is accomplished. Y'know what I mean?

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 8/9/2012(UTC)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan
#325 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:18:36 AM(UTC)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)

robb;318259 wrote:

You can't 'ignore' she-man though, try as we might she is not going away. Her physical 'attributes', shall we say, add the power to the accuracy of her serve.
That said I will say that at the start of 2011 I would have prayed for maria to get to a GS final. It almost looked impossible. And yes of course progress has been made since then, both clay court seasons,the finals she has reached, the french title. Brilliant. I am just saying that in three of the BIG finals since then she has got to, she has been outplayed. And her serve hasn't helped, (despite it being more accurate in Paris). At the olympics it was obvs who was gonna win after the first 2 games. Her best year? Debatable. Didn't she win the end of tour final against serena in 2004 after her wimbledon win?
I hope she wins in NY, BUT THE'WINDY' CITY may not be to her liking now.

One other thing though. After azarenka won in Australia, a number of pundits said the future of women's tennis was kvitova and azarenka. Since then the last two majors have been won by maria and she-man, who contested the olympic final! These are the same two who contested the wimbledon final of 2004!! Just a thought.....

I agree that it's been a disturbing trend for Maria in recent years that when she loses, she REALLY loses. When things start going awry against the top players, she tends to get steamrolled. Olympic Final and Aussie Final and she can only win 4 games total? That really shouldn't happen.  But there are too many examples of it not to be concerned.  Lisicki at Wimbledon. Radwanska in Miami.  Vika, again, in Indian Wells.  Kvitova in Wimby Final.  Li Na at the French.  Obviously, she's had some  great wins this year, beating Petra 3 times, finally beating Vika in Germany, and the comeback against Sabine in London.  Nobody expects Maria to win every match,  but, come on, a player of her caliber MUST show more fight and more effort to mix things up in matches like that Aussie Final, and, yes, even against Serena.  Her answer to adversity can't be to just hit the ball harder.

I'm one of the people that do believe this is Maria's best year on tour in her career.  And I think she's done it through her power and will, not so much an improved game.  It's a testament to her enormous desire to win that she gets through serving problems and a one-dimensional style and still accomplish so much.  But can you really say Maria is a better player in 2012 than she was in 2004?  Maybe, but, man, she gave Serena all kinds of problems that year and in the 2005 Aussie semi.  Better than 2006 or 2008 Maria?  No way.  Her conditioning and return of serve are the only things I can think of that are superior today compared to the young Maria. 

And that's why Maria will continue to have embarrassing days like she had against Serena and Vika.  They aren't that much better than her, but her lack of variety will continue to cost her when plan A starts to fail.  I just really keep hoping Maria someday finally gets over her stubborness and addresses this issue before she gets too old.

Valkyre
#331 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:55:47 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

Μaria is having "embarrassing" days, while Serena and Vika do not?

Please explain then how Serena lost in the 1st round (FIRST ROUND) of French Open from a qualifier...
Also Please explain how Vika's defeats from Serena are not embarrassing? Oh because she got 3 games total while Maria got just one?

Please... "embarrassing" defeats are pat of the game. Everyone has them, even the best players in the world... Federer lost 2 straights sets from Murray in the final 6-1 6-2...  Or maybe Rafael Nadal the no2 in the world at the WB losing in the 2nd round from the no100?? should we go out and call all that "embarrassement"?

No... embarrassement is not losing 6-0 6-1. This is part of the game, it is within the game and everyone will encounter it at some point in time. Maria has NOTHING to be embaqrrassed of. If something is embarrassement, then that is when you threat umpires and you wave your racquet around like a weapon, or when you verbally abuse linesmen and you generally show NO respect for the sport and the rules and everyone around you both on and off the court like Serena does. That is exactly what EMBARRASSEMENT is.

Maria has reasons only to be proud of. If someone should be embarrassed then that is Serena Williams and her lack of respect for this game.

DAVAI MARIA!

3 users thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/9/2012(UTC), PodgeMcQ on 8/9/2012(UTC), alexandreka on 8/9/2012(UTC)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan
#332 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 12:16:56 PM(UTC)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)

Valkyre;318310 wrote:

Please explain then how Serena lost in the 1st round (FIRST ROUND) of French Open from a qualifier...
Also Please explain how Vika's defeats from Serena are not embarrassing? Oh because she got 3 games total while Maria got just one?

Please... "embarrassing" defeats are pat of the game. Everyone has them, even the best players in the world... Federer lost 2 straights sets from Murray in the final 6-1 6-2...  Or maybe Rafael Nadal the no2 in the world at the WB losing in the 2nd round from the no100?? should we go out and call all that "embarrassement"?

No... embarrassement is not losing 6-0 6-1. This is part of the game, it is within the game and everyone will encounter it at some point in time. Maria has NOTHING to be embaqrrassed of. If something is embarrassement, then that is when you threat umpires and you wave your racquet around like a weapon, or when you verbally abuse linesmen and you generally show NO respect for the sport and the rules and everyone around you both on and off the court like Serena does. That is exactly what EMBARRASSEMENT is.

Maria has reasons only to be proud of. If someone should be embarrassed then that is Serena Williams and her lack of respect for this game.

DAVAI MARIA!

We all know Serena has acted like a punk on and off the court her whole career. Whether it was those threatening antics on the court you mentioned or her complete disrespect for her opponents when she loses, giving them zero credit or her playing the victim card, with her boycott of Indian Wells, she's always been a diva and drama queen. A terrible representitive for the WTA. And Azarenka isn't any better with her all of her career mental breakdowns and match retirements, smashing raquets, and overall surly disposition.  Another very unlikable person.  Maria, on the other hand, is everything you'd want as the face of tennis.  Pure class on the court and off the court.  Always gives maximum effort, respects her opponents, an eloquent speaker, and does much to promote the game and help charities.

And that's why it's been so aggravating seeing Maria struggle against my two most hated players.  And not just lose, but consistently get blown out.  Stuttgart was a huge relief, but she needs to able to beat them both more regularly to build rivalries.  Yes, Federer did get crushed by Murray, but it was only a few weeks earlier that he thoroughly defeated Murray for the Wimbledon title.  That's the thing about the men's Big Four rivalries.  They're all competitive with each other, no one dominating the other for long.  Even after losing to Djokovic 7 times in a row last year, Nadal finally made some adjustments, improved his game, and turned the tables beating Novak 3 times this year.  That's what we haven't seen from Maria.  8 years and counting against Serena.  And until Stuttgart, Vika had been dominating Maria.  I'd really like to see Maria build on that and beat Vika on a hard court.  Then you could say that matchup is turning around in her favor.  It's all about those 2 players.  They are the ones that will keep Maria from winning more slams and being number one.  And she needs to realize that her game needs to go to a new level to compete with and defeat those two more often when it counts.

1 user thanked Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan for this useful post.
alexandreka on 8/9/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#327 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 4:44:57 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

paul_pipkin;318273 wrote:

OFF-TOPIC--Sorry, I can't resist.  My San Antonio kontraktnika Becky Hammon (#9), with Team Russia:

Russia held off Turkey 66-63 in a dramatic finish to seal a semi-final place as Birsel Vardarli came up short with a three-point attempt on the buzzer.

Evgeniya Belyakova (#5, centre) of Russia celebrates with Becky Hammon (#9) and Natalia Vodopyanova (#6) after defeating Turkey in the women's Basketball quater-final on Day 11 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Basketball Arena.

The European champions, who have won bronze at the last two Olympic Games, had held a 12-point lead early in the second half but found themselves in a tense fourth-quarter battle after Turkey came back to tie it.

Becky Hammon made an excellent lay-up to break a 62-62 tie with 13 seconds left, and it then came down to free throws.

The Russian girls lost their match against the French girls at the demi final so the Russian girls are going to fight for a Bronze medal against Australia. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Dartagnan
#334 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 4:59:01 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan;318317 wrote:

Valkyre;318310 wrote:

DAVAI MARIA!

We all know Serena has acted like a punk on and off the court her whole career. 

A person who has a lack of respect for tennis can be doped during a tennis match. Some "persons" (authorities) protect her because she represents the tennis of the usa and this tennis should be a model for others.  

Just imagine tennis without the Williams' sisters. Who will lead in tennis? 

Azarenka from Belarusia and Sharapova from Russia. 

But André Agassi told us the truth about the usa tennis. You can be a champion and used forbidden medecines during a tournament. Some "persons" (authorities) protect you because popular Sport became also a political instrument. 

We have another example it is what Lance Armstrong did - Blood doping drug EPO have taken things to a new level in recent years! Plus Serena is using some kind of drug enhancing her alertness,a high tech crack? 

Lance Armstrong the Super Hero of Tour the France has a lot of trouble today with his performance. 

The time will tell you the truth. Don't worry. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

alexandreka
#328 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 5:10:35 PM(UTC)
alexandreka

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Dartagnan;318321 wrote:

paul_pipkin;318273 wrote:

The Russian girls lost their match against the French girls at the demi final so the Russian girls are going to fight for a Bronze medal against Australia. 

I'm sorry but ALLEZ LA FRAAAANCE !!!!!!!!! :D
1 user thanked alexandreka for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 8/9/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#335 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 5:24:41 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Dartagnan;318322 wrote:

Valkyre;318310 wrote:

DAVAI MARIA!

We all know Serena has acted like a punk on and off the court her whole career. 

A person who has a lack of respect for tennis can be doped during a tennis match. Some "persons" (authorities) protect her because she represents the tennis of the usa and this tennis should be a model for others.  

Just imagine tennis without the Williams' sisters. Who will lead in tennis? 

Azarenka from Belarusia and Sharapova from Russia. 

But André Agassi told us the truth about the usa tennis. You can be a champion and used forbidden medecines during a tournament. Some "persons" (authorities) protect you because popular Sport became also a political instrument. 

We have another example it is what Lance Armstrong did - Blood doping drug EPO have taken things to a new level in recent years! Plus Serena is using some kind of drug enhancing her alertness,a high tech crack? 

Lance Armstrong the Super Hero of Tour the France has a lot of trouble today with his performance. 

The time will tell you the truth about Serena's performances. Don't worry. 

Cycling body urged to back Armstrong case

Cycling s governing body has been urged to support the US anti-doping case against Lance Armstrong.

The World Anti-Doping Agency has urged cycling's governing body to support United States anti-doping officials and provide documents to help their case against Lance Armstrong.

WADA says it wrote to International Cycling Union President Pat McQuaid on Tuesday, asking him to withdraw a request to take jurisdiction of the Armstrong case from the US Anti-Doping Agency.

WADA says it reminds the cycling body that the agency "which discovered the violation must have results management authority" in a case.

Armstrong could lose his seven Tour de France titles if he is found to have doped throughout his career, as USADA alleges.

WADA says there is "no provision" within its rules "that allows the UCI to interfere with the USADA case" or demand to see the American agency's evidence.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/14490981/cycling-body-urged-to-back-armstrong-case/latest/s&amp%3Bamp%3B/

paul_pipkin
#330 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 8:30:06 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

paul_pipkin;318307 wrote:

It is accomplished. Y'know what I mean?

"OLYMPIC HANGOVER"-- Besides the bad weather in Canada, you can see this afflicting Montréal, similar to 2008. Not so much exhaustion or travel stress. Rather, it is that the Olympiad results are CARVED IN STONE, if not for all time, at least for the next four years. So now, there is a degree of indifference.

Y'all can cling to the New York line that the bankster-driven "majors" are all that matter, if it makes you happy. But the FACT is that players & nations have been tested at the Pinnacle of Sport--and the results are "final". The Games allow for no excuses. You're an Olympic Medalist or you're not.

That lingers in the minds of all the top players. Ironically, for awhile it will be those who did not make the teams who are relatively unaffected. This is a time for upcomers to push hard.

robb
#333 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 11:47:12 AM(UTC)
robb

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Valkyre;318310 wrote:

DAVAI MARIA!

We all know Serena has acted like a punk on and off the court her whole career. Whether it was those threatening antics on the court you mentioned or her complete disrespect for her opponents when she loses, giving them zero credit or her playing the victim card, with her boycott of Indian Wells, she's always been a diva and drama queen. A terrible representitive for the WTA. And Azarenka isn't any better with her all of her career mental breakdowns and match retirements, smashing raquets, and overall surly disposition.  Another very unlikable person.  Maria, on the other hand, is everything you'd want as the face of tennis.  Pure class on the court and off the court.  Always gives maximum effort, respects her opponents, an eloquent speaker, and does much to promote the game and help charities.

And that's why it's been so aggravating seeing Maria struggle against my two most hated players.  And not just lose, but consistently get blown out.  Stuttgart was a huge relief, but she needs to able to beat them both more regularly to build rivalries.  Yes, Federer did get crushed by Murray, but it was only a few weeks earlier that he thoroughly defeated Murray for the Wimbledon title.  That's the thing about the men's Big Four rivalries.  They're all competitive with each other, no one dominating the other for long.  Even after losing to Djokovic 7 times in a row last year, Nadal finally made some adjustments, improved his game, and turned the tables beating Novak 3 times this year.  That's what we haven't seen from Maria.  8 years and counting against Serena.  And until Stuttgart, Vika had been dominating Maria.  I'd really like to see Maria build on that and beat Vika on a hard court.  Then you could say that matchup is turning around in her favor.  It's all about those 2 players.  They are the ones that will keep Maria from winning more slams and being number one.  And she needs to realize that her game needs to go to a new level to compete with and defeat those two more often when it counts.

I pretty much agree. I don't want to diss maria because believe me, I WANT HER TO BE THE BEST. And she is one of the best, her record says that. But her failing is her consistency, her serve being the prime example. She also needs to find a way to beat serena again, as in 2004. I  agree she is great for the sport, and valkyre is correct in that the other two have been 'embarassing' at times....lets hope she can find that 'new level'....

paul_pipkin
#336 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:14:02 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Russia remains in 3rd place by total medals, narrowing the gap in Gold.

Rank by Gold

Gold Silver  Bronze   Total

United States of America

42 29 29 100

People's Republic of China

38 26 21 85

Great Britain

28 15 18 61

Russian Federation

21 25 32 78

Dartagnan on 8/11/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#337 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:58:44 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

paul_pipkin;318384 wrote:

Russia remains in 3rd place by total medals, narrowing the gap in Gold.

Rank by Gold

Gold Silver  Bronze   Total

United States of America

42 29 29 100

38 26 21 85

Great Britain

28 15 18 61

Russian Federation

21 25 32 78

THANK YOU MASHA FOR YOUR SILVER MEDAL !!!!

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/w...S33u9J4&feature=plcp 

Dartagnan
#338 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2012 6:03:29 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia’s Olympic performance ‘by no means bad’ - NOC chief

Александр Жуков олимпиада 2012

Head of the National Olympic Committee Alexander Zhukov spoke about this in a video link from London on Saturday.

Team Russia has won medals across the spectrum of the Olympic disciplines, and its medal haul is approaching 70. Beijing brought it 72 medals. This means that London may bring even more. This is what Mr Zhukov had to say:

"It’s a Russian custom to start slowly and gain speed later. I do hope the competitions to be held on the two closing days of the London Olympics will see more Russian victories. We are fielding a number of promising athletes this weekend. I’m among the most ardent supporters of them."

Zhukov urged the Russian supporters to enjoy the competitions, rather than simply count medals.

He praised Russia’s female gymnasts, synchronized swimmers and, most of all, judo wrestlers, who have already won as many as three gold medals.

NOC President also regretted failures and shortfalls:

"The fencers, for instance, could have done much, much better, if their remarkable results in the inter-Olympic period are anything to go by. Ourweightlifters deserve the highest of praises, and their worse than expected performance in London is the result of bad luck. Some of them suffered injuries, while others failed to qualify for medals due to a negligible amount of extra bodyweight."

In the overall medal count, Russia is fourth after the hosting country. Zhukov said he believes Britain owes its third place to strong support from the terraces, which in some instances has even influenced refereeing – for example, in boxing matches. Unfortunately, Russian supporters in London were very few and far between. They had been probably scared off by high prices.

Mr Zhukov thanked the Russian media for their coverage of the Olympics. He also said the NOC would instruct Russian athletes on how to behave with the media.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_08_11/Russia-s-Olympic-performance-by-no-means-bad-NOC-chief/

Dartagnan
#339 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:52:11 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Davydova to carry Russian flag at Olympic closing ceremony

21.07.2009 плавание плавчиха Анастасия Давыдова

Anastasia Davydova. Photo: EPA

Anastasia Davydova, the only five-times Olympic champion in the history of synchronous swimming, will carry the Russian flag at the closing ceremony of the Olympics-2012, the Russian Olympic Committee’s press-service reports.

The closing ceremony of the XXX summer Olympic Games will start on Sunday at 9:00 p.m. local time (midnight in Moscow).

Davydova, who was twice Olympic champion both in 2004 and 2008, announced an end of her sport career after winning the gold medal at the Olympics-2012.

At the opening ceremony of the London Olympics, Maria Sharapova, who later reached the finals of the tennis competitions, carried the Russian flag.

RIA

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_08_12/Davydova-to-carry-Russian-flag-at-Olympic-closing-ceremony/

paul_pipkin
#340 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:36:38 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank by Gold (Gold, Siler, Bronze, TOTAL)

United States of America

45 29 29 103

38 27 22 87

Great Britain

29 16 19 64

Russian Federation

24 25 33 82

Russia now has a total of 82 Medals, behind China's 87. Neither at Beijing nor here has Russia ever expected a higher total, yet the day is not over & there may be more.

Russia has 24 Golds, behind the home country's 29.

There is actually NOTHING WRONG with this outcome. Any want to engage in silliness that Russia should equal the counts of the former USSR entire? No you don't,  because I'll add up the total for the Republics, broken down by color & show combined results likely overwhelming either US & China.

I prefer to give the independent credit all nations deserve. 

Dartagnan on 8/12/2012(UTC)
Philli Wan
#343 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 3:55:48 PM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 134 post(s)

I'm just watching the closing ceremony. I dont see who's carrying the Russian Flag, but I know who's NOT carrying it.  Also, in the procession of medal winners I see at least 4 people missing.  Strangely, they are all Tennis players.  Frankly I would have thought that since Maria and Vika aren't doing Cincy, they could have made the effort to be back with the Team for the closing ceremony.  I guess being a Team player has it's limits to some people.  I'm dissapointed about both of them, but somehow not surprised about Maria, she's never has been a Team player anyway...except when it suited her.