Youzhny last won a title in January, 2012 in Zagreb. He is the first Russian since Yevgeny Kafelnikov in 1995 to take the honours at this alpine resort on clay at 800 metres.

Youzhny played a final against Roger Federer last month but finally came good for a trophy as he beat Haase in 65 minutes, never facing a break point and striking a modest four aces.

Youzhny, now stands 5-0 over his Dutch opponent who owns back-to-back titles on high-altitude alpine clay.

"This feels really great,""said Youzhny, 31, and ranked 33rd - now the 12th over-30 player to win a trophy this season on the ATP.

"Robin was a tough opponent but I was able to play me best tennis and beat him. It's been a super week for me. Even through I played a lot of my matches in the morning, the stands were relatively full even then."

"Everyone of my matches was a tough one," said the player who had to save three match points in his quarter-final win over Juan Monaco.

"It was a tough week but it ended very well."

Youzhny's victory was watched by his wife, son and coach of 20 years.

The final lineup was far from what organizers might have been hoping for when Roger Federer announced his availability and took a wild card into the field, playing for the first time since he won it nine years ago.

But top seed Federer and Swiss number two Stanislas Wawrinka both lost early due to back problems which could still keep them from the hardcourt Montreal Masters starting in eight days.

Despite the lack of the local heroes, the stands were full for the concluding weekend, with fans giving the finalists solid support.

Haase now moves onto Kitzbuehel to try and win his third consecutive title at the famed Austrian ski venue. He stands 2-1 in finals and loves to play at altitude.

"I had my biggest success in the mountains so far. It's not a coincidence since I also played well in Madrid. I'm really confident with both my serve and my return and that helps a lot," he said.

"It was a difficult match, said the 57th-ranked Haase. "Mikhail's game definitely doesn't suit me. He showed his best form and years of experience today.

"It's so tough to play him, I've never beaten him and that kind of hurts. But I hope to get another chance."

Haase credited his coach, with whom he began working in December.

"We changed a lot of things and often it was not easy. But the results are starting to come and I'm sure we will have more success."

Youzhny broke once per set, taking a 5-3 lead in the first and finishing it out a game later before breaking early in the second and never letting loose of his lead.

The Russian experienced a slight wobble as he served for victory, coming from 0-30 and then taking three match points to finally prevail with a forehand winner.

Youzhny won his ninth title from his 20th ATP final and claimed his first clay trophy since more than Munich three years ago.
Haase, 26, was the second Dutchman to reach the final after Tom Okker, a four-time finalist from 1968-71.