logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

14 Pages«<910111213>»
US OPEN 2011 (29 August - 11 September)
Philli
#202 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 5:52:16 AM(UTC)
Philli

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Obviously, like a few others here, I've been watching a lot of Tennis these last few days. Something has occured to me and I was wondering if anybody has noticed it too. The Girls come out, set themselves up, play their matches, win or lose and the whole thing is a pleasent and relaxing experience to watch because we are not sitting out there in the hot sun and having to listen to the shitty pounding loud music they play during the breaks.

Now, with Maria, it's totally different. She comes out, makes sure everybody notices her outfit, cant stand still and doesn't listen to the Umpire during the coin toss and hurries off to the line with a halfstep and a shuffle to warm up. Now time is called and the game starts. Now what happens....from this moment on I am stressed, nervous, and worried and wondering where the first ball will go. will it be in, will it hit the net, will it go out. And its like this for the ENTIRE match. Everytime she has a ball in her hand you wonder what is going to happen next. If you are rooting for Maria to win, and you all are, it is a totally stressed 2 or more hours, watching her fight with her serve, her returns and an opponent that just wont lie down and die. And it sometimes seems like Maria is wondering what the hell to do next when nothing seems to work, and we all share her anxiety. Her matches are totally different to everybody elses on the tour. And it's not that they are good, it's that you never know from one moment to the next what is going to happen. The sad thing is....neither does she by the look of it.
1 user thanked Philli for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 9/4/2011(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#203 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 6:09:59 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2868 time(s) in 1722 post(s)
Yankeeslam Philli. Those ants need food and drinks to keep their overweight they have since their 12th year UP.
And that too loud music makes the party even more funny. Those girls in the arena are part of the scenery, not
that important.

OFF TOPIC do u still visit 1012? See no posts anymore...those were great chatdays, oh yeah. And that avatar...LOL

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
Philli
#204 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 6:52:09 AM(UTC)
Philli

Oh sure I do, but when a tournament is on I use the Shoutbox or here to pass comments. No doubt during the next few weeks I'll be back regularly on 101.2. You like my avator ey? Hehehe

paul_pipkin
#205 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 9:20:45 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1878 time(s) in 1248 post(s)

Hi, y'all.  Sure you understand I'm waking up some hours after you.

1) Re yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/1012_decibels/ Same here--just a matter of time & attention. Will get back to it after USO. Speaking of which:

2) Will pose a question to the "parrot" over there: Why the bunch active on tennisforum "SS Dementieva" do nothing to keep the home site afloat?  

Philli: Your question raises two levels:

1) The by-the-numbers ambiance is simply testimony to the degree USO 2011 was stitched up from the very beginning. Players know that, whether or not they can say/imply anything. (Dolonts grabbed her chance at a live mike to spill the beans about State screwing her visa around & Vika had a few choice remarks to the umpire during her Dulko match--but those were mostly invectives. lol) By & large, all they can do is walk thru the program, except the Russians have certain specific agendas to defend. (Vera, Kiri/Nadia

2) It appears that, underneath, you are an actual Masha fan after all. One could react with the same anxiety to many players there  IF one were focused on them. (Safarova comes to mind.) The fashion agenda goes without saying and that isn't exclusive to Maria either. My gawd, Adidas has mobilized an army, not so much to compete with Nike as LaCoste!

You just notice all this more when it's the Queen. lol

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
CROUCHING TIGER
#206 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 11:18:07 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Gotcha(both of u). Well, Philli is a bit like me i guess, that love/hate relation. When Masha plays at her best

with those killermentality/eyes and rather die than quit Philli is close to an "orgasm"...hahaha

Valkyre
#207 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2011 5:35:24 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

Maria's Interview in round 3 of the USO 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvbm5Ef4rUs

Maria get some rest, and then hit the court, there is no need to dwell on these matters anymore, but to look ahead. The year is good, in fact its great. If we have a similar improvement in the next year then you are going to be in top form. Work on the UEs for a start. The rest will follow. Best of luck from me.

Philli
#209 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2011 9:19:12 AM(UTC)
Philli

Yes, things can only get better in Japan compared to last year..... She got knocked out in the First round by Date-Krumm in 2010.
robb
#208 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2011 11:54:48 AM(UTC)
robb

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Valkyre Go to Quoted Post

Maria's Interview in round 3 of the USO 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvbm5Ef4rUs

Maria get some rest, and then hit the court, there is no need to dwell on these matters anymore, but to look ahead. The year is good, in fact its great. If we have a similar improvement in the next year then you are going to be in top form. Work on the UEs for a start. The rest will follow. Best of luck from me.

No doubt that this last year has been up and down, though overall some progress has been made results-wise. From the dark days of last winter , to the hope of Spring and Roland Garros and Rome etc, to the awful dissapointment of the Wimbledon final, through an autumn of lost impetus (apart from Cincinatti, thank goodness). The US Open could have been an opportunity had she been in better form. Sadly, from round 1 it was apparent that this was Maria closer to last winter's form than the Spring.

So what are we to make of it all? Some progress, but still the concern is too many errors, too many players who seem to have a smarter game, and the unreliable serve ( due in part to that shoulder). Sure she is back in the top ten, and I would have settled for that at the end of 2010! But is she good enough to win another Grand Slam? Doubtful. Will she get back to number 1? Even more doubtful. I WANT her to, I really do. But I just can't see it.

As for when I started to support her......Wimbledon 2004....round by round....the comeback against Davenport, and the way she swept past Serena in the final. A STAR IS BORN, the press did say. Well, they got that right, at least......

Imnumber2
#210 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2011 12:49:28 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

She needs no rest. She didn't do much and lost in the first week so I hope she is not resting . Again It was another huge disappointing result here in USO!!

She needs to work on strengthing her body and on her serve PRONTO!!

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
Freedom23
#211 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2011 2:07:41 PM(UTC)
Freedom23

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)

I don't think I have ever read a forum with this many dramatic, whiny, self-righteous posts in my whole life. I just have to laugh at this. Maria played sloppy and lost. OK? She's been solid for most of the year and one ugly loss at a Grand Slam does not destin her to fail with everything from now on. It is quite obvious there are some of you who have been waiting for Maria to lose just so you can feel all high and mighty about your predictions and senselessly bash her. Pathetic. Maria played and lost just like this in 2007. She was younger back then, but I didn't really notice a difference between the two matches (2007 and 2011). The only person who can change Maria's serve is Maria. If she decides to serve like this until she retires, then fine. Maria is going to have chances in Grand Slams, whether they be big small or big, until she retires. Nobody knows how she will play next year, or the next tournament. This isn't the end of her, and I wish her "true fans" would actually realize that instead of feeding the haters what they want to hear from Maria's fans. God bless Maria. I expect her to get over this loss and come back next year acting as if she had won all the Grand Slams from this year. She isn't slitting her wrists over this loss, so why should any of us be?

And please people, do not respond with "I am not being dramatic, I am just speaking the truth". You know who you are.

Peace and love.

Integrity is the best policy.

1 user thanked Freedom23 for this useful post.
Brebis on 9/5/2011(UTC)
ShelbyK
#212 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2011 2:11:04 PM(UTC)
ShelbyK

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Freedom23 Go to Quoted Post

I don't think I have ever read a forum with this many dramatic, whiny, self-righteous posts in my whole life. I just have to laugh at this. Maria played sloppy and lost. OK? She's been solid for most of the year and one ugly loss at a Grand Slam does not destin her to fail with everything from now on. It is quite obvious there are some of you who have been waiting for Maria to lose just so you can feel all high and mighty about your predictions and senselessly bash her. Pathetic. Maria played and lost just like this in 2007. She was younger back then, but I didn't really notice a difference between the two matches (2007 and 2011). The only person who can change Maria's serve is Maria. If she decides to serve like this until she retires, then fine. Maria is going to have chances in Grand Slams, whether they be big small or big, until she retires. Nobody knows how she will play next year, or the next tournament. This isn't the end of her, and I wish her "true fans" would actually realize that instead of feeding the haters what they want to hear from Maria's fans. God bless Maria. I expect her to get over this loss and come back next year acting as if she had won all the Grand Slams from this year. She isn't slitting her wrists over this loss, so why should any of us be?

And please people, do not respond with "I am not being dramatic, I am just speaking the truth". You know who you are.

Peace and love.

Greatest post i have ever read! Agree completely.

Imnumber2
#213 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2011 3:00:14 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Originally Posted by: ShelbyK Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Freedom23 Go to Quoted Post

Peace and love.

Greatest post i have ever read! Agree completely.

I'm not gonna defense for anybody but me, and I don't see any great post about that. Do you just expect people to shut and say nothing and applaud either result?

Loosing today's battle is a chance to built tomorrow's strength, but if you don't grasp this opportunity then it's simple a waste of time and that goes for anything in Life!

Yes, she might have won Rome and Cincy but you simple can't say it's a comfort win. You cannot simply build game plan based on many UEs and DFs and THAT HAVE BEEN steady for quite some time.

BUt if most of us are ok about that, I respect you all and have nothing to say about that, after all we are in a freedom of speech moment but I will continue to raise my concern because I'm one of Maria's fan and want her to improve. Maria is one of the best player out there and WTA needs her, she might have a style and technics that some of the tennis players don't like but hey we are all unique.

ShelbyK
#214 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2011 3:04:47 PM(UTC)
ShelbyK

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)

I agree with that as well. I just feel like some peoples negativity doesn't help anything.

P.S. "Greatest post i've ever read" may have been a bit much from me. But i liked it.

M-Lover
#201 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2011 3:12:21 AM(UTC)
M-Lover

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Originally Posted by: CROUCHING TIGER Go to Quoted Post
Kiddin' or what? WOZ as a US-Champion? OTOH if this your idea of "black humor" it's great...LOL

Hey Tiger. Not exactly, buddy. But you're not completely wrong. Ya know what? Maria gone, there's no need to spend time crying and blahblahing and crying, right? She'll be back for sure at another event. Maybe she will win the YEC. The USOpen isn't over yet. Let's have some fun. There are a lot of amazing things, even the tennis level isn't that high right now. I found Wozie not that bad in this tournament. She's playing Wozniacki. If there's one GS she has to win, it must be this one. If she doesn't, she's done for good.

I found her extremely determined yesterday against Kuzie. She didn't change her play, always still defensive and still annoying. But I found a new brand Wozie. She made a lot of UEs. She knows she's vulnerable and she ended up finding the way to get back in the match. Is it enough to win the GS? I dont know until she meets Serena in the semi, if she passes Petkovic. BTW that's the first time I saw Wozie with a determined face. That changed the doll's always-smiling-face.

CROUCHING TIGER
#215 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2011 4:49:08 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Hi LOVER...u can have the "Princess of WOZ" if u want her that badly. This so-called "slam" looks more and

more like a circus. Don't say that 'cos Masha's out; like u say...others will come, but that "badblackass"

gets on my nerves by the day. Damn, man, why doesn't she play in "star & stripes"? Political set-up, fortold

victory, name it u got it. If it wasn't for VERA...the whole bunch can kiss my ass!!!

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/6/2011(UTC)
Valkyre
#218 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2011 7:43:49 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Too much drama is never a good thing. The same applies too everything as well, like hyping Maria like no tomorrow or applauding everything she does. Balance is the key.

We should not act as if Maria is doomed, but at the same time we shouldnt act as if nothing is happening. Maria is no4 in the world. It is not by chance. Maria also lost from some very weak opponents lately, which she shouldnt have too. She finished much stronger opponents easily and she struggled with others that clearly are not in the same league as her. Something must be done and Maria must work on that. And that will happen I am sure. Maria is no. 4 I repeat that.

Now some videos which may not be entirely pleasant, since its the highlights from US open round 3. Maria should watch the match again. She can learn a lot from it and work to improve!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gehj-pzlf28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI9MUGeVxI

PS: I will also update the thread

http://www.mariasharapov...innati-2011-updated.aspx

with all new videos! enjoy :)

2 users thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/6/2011(UTC), Brebis on 9/6/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#219 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2011 10:52:46 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1878 time(s) in 1248 post(s)

:pioggia: Remains of another tropical storm are pumping streams of light rain across NYC, delaying start of Day 9 play. This condition may presist all day with limited "windows of opportunity.

In fact, it might go on thru the second week, further confounding this misbegotten, messed-up exercise. In a perverse, schadenfreude sorta way, it's kinda interesting. 

Lezee what happens. The mouthpieces now have only one remaining agenda: Persuade you against all observable facts, in some existential religious sense, global tennis is "all about US". To this end they now trot out Juniors! After a decade of suppressing coverage, they intend to showcase selected bits of the Amerikaan-overstuffed junior draw to create the illusion of depth. lol

Can you dig it? It's all over. Venus is probably finished and, much as they try to stuff Serena & prop her up as an eternal icon, we're only waiting for her to pop her stuffing again--certainly in advance of London 2012. No way will Yankee & Yank-influenced media continue to try & balance this embarrassing charade.

Turn your eyes to the future--to where women's tennis is really happening. Beograd, Kazan, Baku, Tashkent--all the way to Beijing. 

:pioggia: UPDATE: Due to the weather forecast, the USTA has cancelled the Tuesday, September 6 Day Session, and the Tuesday, September 6 Night Session. Play will resume tomorrow, Wednesday, September 7 at 11 a.m. ET, weather permitting.

Wednesday schedule posted: http://www.usopen.org/en...chedule/p_schedule16.pdf 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Imnumber2
#216 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2011 6:54:48 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Originally Posted by: CROUCHING TIGER Go to Quoted Post
Hi LOVER...u can have the "Princess of WOZ" if u want her that badly. This so-called "slam" looks more and

more like a circus. Don't say that 'cos Masha's out; like u say...others will come, but that "badblackass"

gets on my nerves by the day. Damn, man, why doesn't she play in "star & stripes"? Political set-up, fortold

victory, name it u got it. If it wasn't for VERA...the whole bunch can kiss my ass!!!

Well said DUDE and I'm with you 100%!!!!

Valkyre
#220 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:32:17 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Rain seems to be expected for the rest of the week. Not the same intensity as yesterday, but I think we are going to have lots of delays due to sporadic showers.

Then there is the 9/11 which is also upon us, this USO is really weird isnt it? Very eventfull... first Irene, now this storm, then 9/11....wow!
CROUCHING TIGER
#226 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:03:23 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Doom is upon them and thunder will struck... (Apocalyps 666)

http://www.weather.com/w...+Corona+Park+NY+55018:20