logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages<1234>»
Western & Southern Open AUGUST 15 - 21, 2011 CINCINNATI OH
PodgeMcQ
#21 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:24:29 AM(UTC)
PodgeMcQ

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 136

Thanks: 87 times
Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 47 post(s)

Brebis;309873 wrote:


paul_pipkin;309870 wrote:


Sharapova, Blake, Isner Prep for W & S Open


 



Three-time Grand Slam champion and recent Wimbledon finalist Maria Sharapova, former No. 4 James Blake and two-time Tour titlist John Isner practiced on the nearly sold-out first day of Western & Southern Open action. As fans sought to catch qualifying play and join in on the Kid’s Day festivities, the WTA star took to the courts, while two of the top Americans exchanged rallies.

 

Sharapova, who advanced to the finals last year before losing to Kim Clijsters in three sets, is seeded fourth in the main draw. With a first-round bye, she’ll face the winner of Polona Hercog and a qualifier in the second round. Sharapova appears in the same section of the draw as French Open champion Na Li and 13-time Grand Slam winner Serena Williams.


 


Hi Paul,  any idea already when Maria will play ? Tuesday or Wednesday !?



 


Im hoping its tuesday  serena is scheduled to play tomorrow according to flashscore so I wonder if she will drop out...

paul_pipkin
#22 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:40:56 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,624

Thanks: 1699 times
Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

No clue as yet, but we should know something soon.


Masha on cover of Russian weekly "Sports Daily" № 30 (10 - 16 August)


The weekly "Sports day after day» № 30 (10 - 16 August).  Team old, but the changes before the end of Euro 2012 will not wait 


Maria Sharapova -- ВНОВЬ САМАЯ ВЫСОКООПЛАЧИВАЕМАЯ СПОРТСМЕНКА МИРА
NEWLY MOST HIGHLY-PAID SPORTSWOMAN OF THE WORLD 



"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
paul_pipkin
#23 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2011 9:57:30 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,624

Thanks: 1699 times
Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

Radwanska Withdrawal Shuffles Draw


No. 11 seed Agnieszka Radwanska has withdrawn from the 2011 Western & Southern Open with a right shoulder injury. 


The withdrawal of a seed prior to the release of the first order of play causes the seeds to be shifted. Here's what changes:


 

Jelena Jankovic remains No. 13 seed, but moves to Radwanska’s spot on line 25 and will play Iveta Benesova.

 

Yanina Wickmayer becomes seed No. 17, and moves from line 42 to Jankovic's spot on line 57 and will play qualifier Bojana Jovanovski IOW, amongst the Russian Quarter--why am I unsurprised? From now on, I'm giving Wicky AND Bojangles honorary status as "other Russians."

 

A qualifier or lucky loser was drawn and placed into the spot Wickmayer vacated on line 42. That position is now occupied by Jill Craybas, and she will face Svetlana Kuznetsova on Monday.

WEIRD: I guess Eurosport & TTC are so busy shoving the Israeli & the nutjob down our throats, they've begun broadcast with BOTH CHANNELS OBLIVIOUS to the Radwanska withdrawal! 

Two hours later--by end of Peer-Lisicki, Eurosport picks  up that the draw has changed. But TTC has mentioned nothing yet. No revised drawsheets are yet posted. Curiouser & curiouser...

13:30 EDT--still no revised drawsheets. Eurosport does acknowledge the news item: http://www.cincytennis.c...ithdrawal_shuffles_draw/ This is at least five hours after Agnie withdrew and from the wording, maybe far longer--like last night, even. TTC, who are not covering the revised Kuzi-Craybas match (playing now) say nothing. Some kinda woolly-woolly being pulled around this. 
"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
paul_pipkin
#24 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2011 1:21:28 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,624

Thanks: 1699 times
Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

paul_pipkin;309888 wrote:


Radwanska Withdrawal Shuffles Draw


No. 11 seed Agnieszka Radwanska has withdrawn from the 2011 Western & Southern Open with a right shoulder injury. 


The withdrawal of a seed prior to the release of the first order of play causes the seeds to be shifted. Here's what changes:


 

Jelena Jankovic remains No. 13 seed, but moves to Radwanska’s spot on line 25 and will play Iveta Benesova.

 

Yanina Wickmayer becomes seed No. 17, and moves from line 42 to Jankovic's spot on line 57 and will play qualifier Bojana Jovanovski IOW, amongst the Russian Quarter--why am I unsurprised? From now on, I'm giving Wicky AND Bojangles honorary status as "other Russians."

 

A qualifier or lucky loser was drawn and placed into the spot Wickmayer vacated on line 42. That position is now occupied by Jill Craybas, and she will face Svetlana Kuznetsova on Monday.

WEIRD: I guess Eurosport & TTC are so busy shoving the Israeli & the nutjob down our throats, they've begun broadcast with BOTH CHANNELS OBLIVIOUS to the Radwanska withdrawal! 

Two hours later--by end of Peer-Lisicki, Eurosport picks  up that the draw has changed. But TTC has mentioned nothing yet. No revised drawsheets are yet posted. Curiouser & curiouser...

13:30 EDT--still no revised drawsheets. Eurosport does acknowledge the news item: http://www.cincytennis.c...ithdrawal_shuffles_draw/ This is at least five hours after Agnie withdrew and from the wording, maybe far longer--like last night, even. TTC, who are not covering the revised Kuzi-Craybas match (playing now) say nothing. Some kinda woolly-woolly being pulled around this. 


Y'know what they've done here? Here's one reason they didn't quickly release the revised draw, follow:


Young Petra Martic beat the Bruja of Barcelona (MJMS) in qualies--was NOT supposed to happen. So they've grabbed MJMS as a LL & set her against Makarova. PROBABLY THE SAME PLACE they would've put her if she'd gotten thru qualies, so as to have a go at Zvonareva in the next round. Petra Martic was then deployed against Vesnina in the same quarter.


However, Katya is up a set & a break over MJMS. LOL! Davaiii! Better to fall to the clean hands of a compatriot than to the Spaniard, hunh? ;)


That match, Kuzi v Craybas & other matches are now BEING PLAYED per the REVISED DRAW they WILL NOT RELEASE. At 14:30 EDT this is now an ISSUE


Now you must start to wonder: Will they "adjust" the draw AGAIN, based on who WINS the first day? Why not? The Yanks can do anything they please now & no one says a word. 


So why do we care? Well, you should note that Kuzi just won 63 64 against Craybas & will next play qualifier Cetkovska (none of this reflected in the draw posted at this hour) -- so Kuzi very likely faces Masha in round of 16. Does it not bother anyone this is all pursuant to a revised draw they won't post?


 


Five hours of play now without a legal drawsheet posted. 


Maria's first opponent appears to be qualifier Anastasia Rodionova, expat Russian of Oz.





"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Brebis
#25 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2011 3:26:52 PM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/18/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,011

Thanks: 260 times
Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)
Do we already know when Maria will play ?
paul_pipkin
#27 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2011 3:39:19 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,624

Thanks: 1699 times
Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

Brebis;309892 wrote:
Do we already know when Maria will play ?


It seems we do--oddly enough, since they can't get up the ACTUAL draw for TODAY!


Partial Tuesday Schedule Announced


A partial order of play for Center Court on Tuesday at the Western & Southern Open has been announced.



 

CENTER COURT – Day Session starts 11:00 am – Match times TBD

(5) Li Na (CHN) vs Lucie Safarova (CZE)

Serena Williams (USA) vs Lucie Hradecka (CZE)

 

CENTER COURT – Night Session starts 7:00 pm – Match times TBD

(4) Maria Sharapova (RUS) vs (Q) Anastasia Rodionova

(3) Roger Federer (SUI) vs Juan Martin del Potro (ARG)

 

All first round matches that have not been scheduled for Sunday or Monday will also be on Tuesday’s schedule.

 

The full schedule for Tuesday will be released later Monday evening.




"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
paul_pipkin
#28 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2011 4:01:24 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,624

Thanks: 1699 times
Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

paul_pipkin;309893 wrote:


Brebis;309892 wrote:
Do we already know when Maria will play ?


It seems we do--oddly enough, since they can't get up the ACTUAL draw for TODAY!


Partial Tuesday Schedule Announced


A partial order of play for Center Court on Tuesday at the Western & Southern Open has been announced.



 

CENTER COURT – Day Session starts 11:00 am – Match times TBD

(5) Li Na (CHN) vs Lucie Safarova (CZE)

Serena Williams (USA) vs Lucie Hradecka (CZE)

 

CENTER COURT – Night Session starts 7:00 pm – Match times TBD

(4) Maria Sharapova (RUS) vs (Q) Anastasia Rodionova

(3) Roger Federer (SUI) vs Juan Martin del Potro (ARG)

 

All first round matches that have not been scheduled for Sunday or Monday will also be on Tuesday’s schedule.

 

The full schedule for Tuesday will be released later Monday evening.



Look, something is going on--but I'll admit I don't know what's up. "A-Rod" whacked Hercog 60 60. We all know Polona ain't that bad & Anastasia ain't that good, but it was in the dark so who knows what happened. Not the only off-the-wall result today.


More: conditions are heavy & humid, so you KNOW Serena's people are demanding that evening spot. Why don't they have it wrapped up? 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
paul_pipkin
#26 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:14:26 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,624

Thanks: 1699 times
Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

Brebis;309892 wrote:
Do we already know when Maria will play ?


 Western & Southern Open 2011 -- Cincinnati 


http://www.livescorehunt...ro/streams/1/lshwta.html  


http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-2/8/84/v-288568.html 


Marţi (16 August) EDT


11:00 Li - Safarova (Center) Eurosport

12:30 Jankovic - Benesova (Court 3) Eurosport

15:00 Hradecka - S. Williams (Center) Eurosport

NB 19:00 EDT Rodionova - Sharapova (Center) "World feed" stream

The Tennis Channel will continue Cincy coverage on Tuesday at 11:00-23:00 EDT. Encores will continue around the clock until it begins again Wednesday. ESPN2 will take back over 11:00 Thursday

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Valkyre
#29 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:12:12 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/22/2011(UTC)
Posts: 539

Thanks: 92 times
Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Hey folks fresh form the courts in Cincinati: Videos of Maria during practice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khV_l0pTeRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLs1yA1E6KA
1 user thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/16/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#30 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:25:08 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,624

Thanks: 1699 times
Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

Valkyre;309901 wrote:
Hey folks fresh form the courts in Cincinati: Videos of Maria during practice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khV_l0pTeRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLs1yA1E6KA


Thanx, Val 


Eurosport replaying Petko-Gajdo now. http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-2/8/84/v-288568.html 


Li Na v Safarova at the top of the hour. 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
paul_pipkin
#31 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:36:43 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,624

Thanks: 1699 times
Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

Tournament sponsor W&S financial group has brought a gang of Chinese tennis kids to Cincy for the week. To see Li Na roll over for Serena? Doesn't sound right. Maybe not. This is NOT a major, after all.


This is interesting. Tennis Channel did NOT expand on thr group's composition:


Western & Southern Financial Group Hosts
Tennis Students from China


First youth delegation from China to experience Western & Southern Open, Greater Cincinnati community


CINCINNATI — August 11, 2011 — Western & Southern Financial Group (Western & Southern) today announced it will host aspiring tennis students from the Mountain Flowers Foundation in China during the Western & Southern Open Aug. 13-21, 2011.


The Mountain Flowers Foundation is part of China’s National Sports Foundation and is dedicated to the development of Chinese ethnic minority girls through education and the sport of tennis. The Foundation is home to 12 Chinese girls between the ages of 8 and 13 from over four ethnic minority groups in China, including Moso, Naxi, Pumi, and Tibetan. This will be the first trip to the United States for students of the Mountain Flowers Foundation.


“We are delighted to host the Mountain Flowers Foundation,” said John F. Barrett, Western & Southern chairman, president and chief executive officer. “Throughout my visits to China, I have been able to learn more about this special foundation and their honorable cause. Having them visit our tournament, which is one of the premiere tennis events in the world, is a natural way to deepen our relationships in China while making a positive contribution to the citizens of China. I am looking forward to their visit and grateful to our associates and tournament partners who are helping to make this trip a reality.”


The visitors will attend the Western & Southern Open and participate in a number of cross-cultural activities, which may include the opportunity to watch several tennis matches, hit a few practice balls with tennis pros, meet China’s top-ranking tennis player and French Open champion Li Na, and visit Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center as well as some of Cincinnati’s entertainment attractions like the Cincinnati Zoo and Kings Island.


“We are honored and thankful for this kind gesture, and we are looking forward to meeting the Greater Cincinnati community,” said Yang Xi, Mountain Flowers Foundation co-founder and 1984 Olympic volleyball gold medalist. “Our mission is to leverage the game of tennis to help young ethnic minority girls in China complete primary and secondary school, and receive a university education. Cultural exchanges such as the Western & Southern Open and the events surrounding the tournament have the potential to leave a positive, long-term impact on our kids and open new opportunities for future collaboration with Western & Southern Financial Group.” 


http://www.westernsouthe...sts_Mountain_Flowers.asp



"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Brebis
#32 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:16:19 PM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/18/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,011

Thanks: 260 times
Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)
Did I miss out on something ?? Is Caroline dating golfer Mcilroy ?? Seams he is again at a tournament, watching her tennis matches ??
PodgeMcQ
#33 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:30:58 PM(UTC)
PodgeMcQ

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 136

Thanks: 87 times
Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 47 post(s)

Brebis;309905 wrote:
Did I miss out on something ?? Is Caroline dating golfer Mcilroy ?? Seams he is again at a tournament, watching her tennis matches ??


 


yup the irish guy said he was going to cincinati after the majors last week because 'he heard it was nice down there'. pfff give us a break we all no your riding the princess lol

Brebis
#34 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:40:48 PM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/18/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,011

Thanks: 260 times
Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)

PodgeMcQ;309906 wrote:


Brebis;309905 wrote:
Did I miss out on something ?? Is Caroline dating golfer Mcilroy ?? Seams he is again at a tournament, watching her tennis matches ??


 


yup the irish guy said he was going to cincinati after the majors last week because 'he heard it was nice down there'. pfff give us a break we all no your riding the princess lol


Ok, that's clear !!  No wonder she is losing so often lately !  Again no tournament win this week !

PodgeMcQ
#35 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:13:33 PM(UTC)
PodgeMcQ

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 136

Thanks: 87 times
Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 47 post(s)

Brebis;309908 wrote:


PodgeMcQ;309906 wrote:


Brebis;309905 wrote:
Did I miss out on something ?? Is Caroline dating golfer Mcilroy ?? Seams he is again at a tournament, watching her tennis matches ??


 


yup the irish guy said he was going to cincinati after the majors last week because 'he heard it was nice down there'. pfff give us a break we all no your riding the princess lol


Ok, that's clear !!  No wonder she is losing so often lately !  Again no tournament win this week !



 


If she plays like she did last week definitely 

clyde_aya@yahoo.com
#36 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:03:34 PM(UTC)
clyde_aya@yahoo.com

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 335

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)

Can't close it out because of double faults. 

clyde_aya@yahoo.com
#37 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:21:46 PM(UTC)
clyde_aya@yahoo.com

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 335

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)

Just noticed, Maria went down 2 places from the ranking. From #5 to #7. Was it due to the points she lost last week? 


So that means she'll earn points this week?

Ruyman_Mashalover
#38 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:28:54 PM(UTC)
Ruyman_Mashalover

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 266

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)

clyde_aya@yahoo.com;309911 wrote:


Just noticed, Maria went down 2 places from the ranking. From #5 to #7. Was it due to the points she lost last week? 


So that means she'll earn points this week?



 


Yes, she can only gain points this week. She went down two places because they removed the points she gained last year at Cincinnati where she reached the finals (it took place earlier than this year).


 


So Maria won easily but it was a poor second set in my opinion. Still quite a few doubles and she let Rodionova break her twice in the second set. She needs to step it up quickly.

Valkyre
#41 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:31:06 PM(UTC)
Valkyre

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/22/2011(UTC)
Posts: 539

Thanks: 92 times
Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Yeah she will earn points thise week if all goes well. And lets hope they do.

So far Maria's first game against Rodionova looked good. Sure the opposition is not even close to Maria's caliber, but Masha needs these types of games to build her confidence and try out her shots. She had very few games this USO series and everything is good for her now.

Some amazing returns and winners.

And we had a ton of fun in the shoutbox while watching the game! :D
Needless to say Maria has a fan with special powers, a "Precog" if you like! haha Needless to say we lolled hard!

Go Maria you keep going like that girl! :)
clyde_aya@yahoo.com
#39 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:35:08 PM(UTC)
clyde_aya@yahoo.com

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 335

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)

Ruyman_Mashalover;309912 wrote:


clyde_aya@yahoo.com;309911 wrote:


Just noticed, Maria went down 2 places from the ranking. From #5 to #7. Was it due to the points she lost last week? 


So that means she'll earn points this week?



 


Yes, she can only gain points this week. She went down two places because they removed the points she gained last year at Cincinnati where she reached the finals (it took place earlier than this year).


 


So Maria won easily but it was a poor match in my opinion. Still quite a few doubles and she let Rodionova break her twice in the second set. She needs to step it up quickly.



Agree. Everything was going well, until double faults started clinging in that one service game of Maria. All doubles in the second set came from that game I think...


 


She's playing good somehow, although she's missing some combination shots. Tough match ahead I should say, tricky Kuznetsova. 

Users browsing this topic
Guest
8 Pages<1234>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.