logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Wimbledon Experience
photo2541
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 10:57:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I understand this is a fan site and this comment will be deleted pretty quickly but if only the moderator (who I assume is a big fan) reads this then fine.

Personality-wise, from what I know of her, Maria Sharapova is a nice person. That she mostly lives, eats, breathes in the USA and is 99.9% American at this point and stills calls herslef a Russian is another matter; especially now that there are 80 players in the tournament with "ova" at the end of their names and only a handful of Americans.  But that's a minor point.  Overall I like her from what I know of her as a person.  

However, she ruined much of the woman's Wimbledon play and definitely the final for me.  I could not watch it.  I know a lot of players grunt and scream but Sharapova screams at the top of her lungs on just about every shot.  At the TOP OF HER LUNGS!  How this cannot be at least half the experience for someone watching one of her matches I have no idea how it is possible.

Ironically, most of the fan attention in this regard goes to Azarenka and she's way over the top too. But Azarenka isn't at half the volume of Sharapova.  No way!

It's many people love to watch her but consider this: the obnoxious grunters turn off a large part of the casual tennis audience and that is a lot of people!

Lots of players do it you say.  Again, nobody--and I mean NOBODY--is even close to the Sharapova volume.  It's selfish and indulgent and believe me she doesn't have to do it.  At the very least not to the level of almost complete distraction for a large number of spectators and viewers.

Again, thanks Maria for turning me away from tennis that I've been a fan of for more than 25 years!  I glad you lost!!!