logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

18 Pages«<1213141516>»
WIMBLEDON 2011
paul_pipkin
#260 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:26:16 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,627

Thanks: 1699 times
Was thanked: 1876 time(s) in 1246 post(s)

robb;308712 wrote:


CROUCHING TIGER;308703 wrote:
I have a déjà-vu. See those quarters/semi's of RG back somewhere in my mind...remember

what we said then?..."ANYBODY CAN WIN THIS". Have that same feeling, but after all it's just a déjà-vu...


 


I have the same feeling too. Firstly, as impressive as Maria was in the last round, truth is she hasn't been tested yet (apart from, briefly, Robson in the second round!). Make no mistake Lisicki will have the Centre Court crowd behind her as the 'underdog'. The press have decided that she is this year's 'story' too. Lisicki has a big enough AND good enough game to beat Maria, who can't afford a multitude of unforced errors.


IN ADDITION, Azarenka looked awesome last night. And none of the girls left will be fazed by the fact it is Maria who is on the opposite side of the net.


I really really hope Maria can do it, but I have to say she is going to have to be at her very very best from now on......



I agree. Lemme be clear. ANY of the four "can" win this tournament--including Kvitova if she doesn't wander too much.


So why IS the press pumping up a serious headcase?  Media may have a hidden agenda.


Here is a "prediction": IF Sabine Lisicki manages to win Wimbledon, she will then crash & burn worse than Ana Ivanovic. Well, Yankee media, at least, might be good with that.


There are slight but definite indications that "early-onset" Williams demise hastens the schedule for blowing off women's tennis. I'd thought they would hold that campaign until London 2012 -- after which the American sports establishment mandates an attack on the Olympic Games overall, as they attempt to destroy Sochi & blackmail Rio.


But they might pull the plug on broadcast coverage of the women's game earlier. If so, mental breakdown of another reigning major champion could serve as a talking point to convince our sheep-like viewers the sport isn't worth watching.


Speculative, of course. A lot will depend on the USO--totally stitched up for a sisters win. If they can't pull it off there, watch out!

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
deadchip
#265 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:44:27 AM(UTC)
deadchip

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 259

Thanks: 94 times
Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I think Lisicki will fold under pressure against Maria and I do think she will be intimidated by having Masha across the net from her. I think that she can be fragile mentally. I think that Sabine was lucky that Marion ran out of gas in the 3rd set. Maria hasn't spent that much time on court here and should have lots left in the tank. Lisicki may also be "satisfied" with a semi appearance, though this actually may take some pressure off her. Still I think that on center court Wimbly, Maria takes it in 2 sets! 6-4, 6-2. Masha's level has been rising as the tournament goes on and she will be ready. Hopefully, Masha doesn't want this so much that she loses herself in that.
Come on Maria!!!! Just Do It!!!!
Masha is my #1!!
paul_pipkin
#266 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:02:50 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,627

Thanks: 1699 times
Was thanked: 1876 time(s) in 1246 post(s)

THURSDAY: Thursday (30 June) BST


13:00 Azarenka - Kvitova (Centre Court)  


14:30 Sharapova - Lisicki (Centre Court) 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Baris1989
#267 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:35:28 PM(UTC)
Baris1989

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/23/2011(UTC)
Posts: 39

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Don't know if its the same for you guys in the US or which ever part of the World you live in, but here in England they are still going on about the Williams and how wonderful they are  Also one of our presenters said to Davenport ''Surely when Sharapova saw the Williams sisters lose, as well as Wozniacki, she must have thought she can win this now''. Flippin cheek!!! Maria's beaten all of those 3 before but they conveniently forget that.


Anyhow, the next match is more important than that. Should be a good match.

paul_pipkin
#268 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:25:21 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,627

Thanks: 1699 times
Was thanked: 1876 time(s) in 1246 post(s)

Baris1989;308719 wrote:


Don't know if its the same for you guys in the US or which ever part of the World you live in, but here in England they are still going on about the Williams and how wonderful they are  Also one of our presenters said to Davenport ''Surely when Sharapova saw the Williams sisters lose, as well as Wozniacki, she must have thought she can win this now''. Flippin cheek!!! Maria's beaten all of those 3 before but they conveniently forget that.


Anyhow, the next match is more important than that. Should be a good match.



They're running a little behind the curve. The mouthpieces here wound down the sisters schtick about 24 hours before. Now they're using the vacant air time to ridicule Masha & Vika's noise. But then, I see British writers dissing East European girls generically, so I suppose that's pretty much the same thing as it's styled in Amerikaans...


It would seem the heat arrived providentially to help oust Serena, then moved on... 


Thursday:


"A similar day with sunshine and showers. Most showers will come along during the afternoon, but they should be generally light and well-scattered. Maximum temperature 21 deg C (70 deg F)." 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Brebis
#269 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:29:44 PM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/18/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,011

Thanks: 260 times
Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)

4 hard hitters in the semi - final , Maria is the slowest of them all.I'll hope for a Sharapova -Kvitova final. Maria needs to be at her very best, as Lisicki has NOTHING to lose. All press in the Netherlands write as if Maria has already won Wimbledon. That is very tricky, the pressure on her will be tremendous. This can be the week she is waiting and working for for so long. I believe she can take the title now. Expecting she feels better then in Paris. I'll hope we all have a great few days coming up. Sleep well Maria and all the best tomorrow. Let's hope she is not as nervous as I am already by now.

deadchip
#270 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:04:30 AM(UTC)
deadchip

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 259

Thanks: 94 times
Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
+1 on getting nervous already!!!
Masha is my #1!!
MLover
#271 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:13:59 AM(UTC)
Rank: Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 15

At the moment I think my nerves are shot!
Maria vs. Lisicki hmmm, could be a hard one or a very simple one.
Kvitova plays left handed and I do believe that many right handed players having problems with that.
Azarenka yelling to loud héhé...
Hope MaSha will play final and go for a the win, she deserves it!

Greets.




CROUCHING TIGER
#261 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:04:10 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 6,239

Thanks: 1951 times
Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)

paul_pipkin;308713 wrote:


robb;308712 wrote:


CROUCHING TIGER;308703 wrote:
I have a déjà-vu. See those quarters/semi's of RG back somewhere in my mind...remember

what we said then?..."ANYBODY CAN WIN THIS". Have that same feeling, but after all it's just a déjà-vu...


 


I have the same feeling too. Firstly, as impressive as Maria was in the last round, truth is she hasn't been tested yet (apart from, briefly, Robson in the second round!). Make no mistake Lisicki will have the Centre Court crowd behind her as the 'underdog'. The press have decided that she is this year's 'story' too. Lisicki has a big enough AND good enough game to beat Maria, who can't afford a multitude of unforced errors.


IN ADDITION, Azarenka looked awesome last night. And none of the girls left will be fazed by the fact it is Maria who is on the opposite side of the net.


I really really hope Maria can do it, but I have to say she is going to have to be at her very very best from now on......



I agree. Lemme be clear. ANY of the four "can" win this tournament--including Kvitova if she doesn't wander too much.


So why IS the press pumping up a serious headcase?  Media may have a hidden agenda.


Here is a "prediction": IF Sabine Lisicki manages to win Wimbledon, she will then crash & burn worse than Ana Ivanovic. Well, Yankee media, at least, might be good with that.


There are slight but definite indications that "early-onset" Williams demise hastens the schedule for blowing off women's tennis. I'd thought they would hold that campaign until London 2012 -- after which the American sports establishment mandates an attack on the Olympic Games overall, as they attempt to destroy Sochi & blackmail Rio.


But they might pull the plug on broadcast coverage of the women's game earlier. If so, mental breakdown of another reigning major champion could serve as a talking point to convince our sheep-like viewers the sport isn't worth watching.


Speculative, of course. A lot will depend on the USO--totally stitched up for a sisters win. If they can't pull it off there, watch out!


I agree on the above,Paul, so very clear now they "hide in plain sight". 'bout the USO, don't forget PRINCES FIONA


will also be a major player in "the game"



WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
sunstreet
#272 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:31:47 AM(UTC)
sunstreet

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 148

Thanks: 15 times
Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 20 post(s)

It´s just great to see Maria back amongst "the fab four" again, especially at Wimbledon, so much history and every day is tennis history in the making. Well done Maria, i allways knew you would do it, and now here you are.


I think the semis today is quite open, four hard hitters and big servers. It could very easily come down to who has had this experience before, which player has the best consentration and is able to stay calm and focused, when it is asked for.


I´m really looking forward to this, for obvious reasons  because Maria is playing, and second of all for the love of the great game of tennis. Especially grass court tennis. It has all the ingredients to be quite a treat.


Hope Maria does well, and from the bottom of my heart i wish you all the best girl.


Just go for it.

shrapilova
#273 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:33:34 AM(UTC)
shrapilova

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 98

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
The german press is so full of praises about the new german
bum-bum-Bine, the new Stephie Graf that I got really sick of it.
I really hope from all my heart that Masha will beat her.
Good luck !!!
( will try again to run home from work to see the match )
paul_pipkin
#274 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:25:29 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,627

Thanks: 1699 times
Was thanked: 1876 time(s) in 1246 post(s)

shrapilova;308731 wrote:
The german press is so full of praises about the new german bum-bum-Bine, the new Stephie Graf that I got really sick of it. I really hope from all my heart that Masha will beat her. Good luck !!! ( will try again to run home from work to see the match )


LOL! I'm sure you tell it like it is, shrapi.  Gag-factor of Yankeeland proportion, hunh?


At noon BST, before the real matches:






 


Davenport / Hingis - Maleeva / Schett (No. 3 Court)




 I'm in the Shoutbox. 


Davai, Vika & Masha! 


 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
shyra asis
#275 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:40:09 AM(UTC)
shyra asis

Rank: Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 5/16/2011(UTC)
Posts: 24

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
if in other parts of the world the press is so anxious of the ladies semi-final match-up, here in the Philippines. The obsessed tennis fans are the only ones who's making a buzz among themselves.

maybe the British press will stop with the William sisters wimbly exit if someone(hopefully Maria) finally wins the title. I can't even imagine what they will write if Murray lost last night. But then again it's their job to annoy people.

no matter what happens ALL-IN for MARIA!!!! 100% DAVAI!
“I think I learn a lot from losses and they make me a lot tougher,”-Maria Sharapova

shrapilova
#276 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:17:32 AM(UTC)
shrapilova

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 98

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)


  • «Comeback Queen» Lisicki vor historischem Tag






  • «Comeback Queen» Lisicki vor historischem Tag


     


     


    Bild vergrößern

    London (dpa) - Die Tennis-Welt staunt über «Boom Boombine» - nun will Sabine Lisicki auch Maria Scharapowa schocken. Einen Tag vor dem größten Match ihrer Karriere präsentierte sich der neue «Centre-Court-Darling» («Daily Mirror») an der Church Road locker und gelöst.


    Immer wieder scherzte die 21-Jährige mit Doppelpartnerin Samantha Stosur - so als wäre die Vorbereitung auf ihr erstes Wimbledon-Halbfinale das Normalste der Welt. «Ich freue mich wahnsinnig darauf und will es da draußen einfach genießen», sagte Lisicki vor dem Showdown gegen die große Turnierfavoritin.


    Die Generalprobe verlief schon mal erfolgreich. Die blendend gelaunte Lisicki ist auch im Doppel auf Titel-Kurs und zog gemeinsam mit der Australierin Stosur souverän ins Viertelfinale ein.


    Der faszinierende Durchmarsch von «Doris Becker», wie Lisicki wegen ihres gewaltigen Aufschlags von den englischen Medien ehrfurchtsvoll genannt wird, erinnert frappierend an die märchenhafte Wimbledon-Geschichte von Goran Ivanisevic. Der Asse-König hatte sich vor zehn Jahren als Wild-Card-Inhaber zum Turniersieg geschmettert. Die ungesetzte Lisicki ist drauf und dran, es dem Kroaten gleichzutun. «Mal sehen, wo diese verrückte Geschichte noch endet», sagte Ivanisevic.


    Zunächst einmal aber muss Lisicki in Boris Beckers einstigem Wohnzimmer die schwierigste Aufgabe meistern, die das Damenfeld zu bieten hat. Die Russin Scharapowa blieb bisher als Einzige ohne Satzverlust und geht mit dem beflügelnden Wissen in das Halbfinal-Duell, als 17-Jährige 2004 schon einmal in Wimbledon gewonnen zu haben. Trotzdem warnte die Favoritin: «Ich muss mit Vollgas spielen, um Sabine zu schlagen.» In Anspielung auf Scharapowas lautes Gequieke, mit dem die 24-Jährige die Bälle übers Netz jagt, titelte der «Daily Mirror»: «Sabine will Maria zum Schweigen bringen.»


    MLover
    #277 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:30:50 AM(UTC)
    Rank: Member

    Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
    Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
    Posts: 15

    It looks like It's gonna be the final of the underdogs...
    Azarenka didn't know how to play a left handed player finally she lost the game.
    At the moment MaSha not her best game (16:29')
    clyde_aya@yahoo.com
    #278 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:59:48 AM(UTC)
    clyde_aya@yahoo.com

    Rank: Advanced Member

    Groups: BasicUsers
    Joined: 3/9/2011(UTC)
    Posts: 335

    Thanks: 11 times
    Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)

    Well I got to be honest with what I'll say. Sharapova won the match, but she didn't played that well, or should I say SERVED that well. Things on that match is much easier when she served smartly.


    It's good to be aggressive with her second serve, but still, there is a tendency that it'll will break down during tough moments. But impressive groundstrokes today, she wore Lisicki down with her strokes. 


    She'll play Petra in the final, a BIG HITTING LEFTY. Sharapova should serve well in here, she'll have an easy time if she can do that. Notice how Lisicki's serve broke down with Maria's return game. 


    Anyway, I WAS REALLY HAPPY WITH THE WIN! BACK FOR HER SeCOND WIMBLEDON. Hope there won't be any nervy start in the Final! God Bless you Maria, make sure that you'll be healthy and fit for that Final! 

    clyde_aya@yahoo.com
    #279 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:01:39 AM(UTC)
    clyde_aya@yahoo.com

    Rank: Advanced Member

    Groups: BasicUsers
    Joined: 3/9/2011(UTC)
    Posts: 335

    Thanks: 11 times
    Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)

    SHE'll be as high as NUMBER 3 if she wins! Hope she wins this match!!!

    1 user thanked clyde_aya@yahoo.com for this useful post.
    Dartagnan on 6/30/2011(UTC)
    Dartagnan
    #280 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:07:10 AM(UTC)
    Dartagnan

    Rank: Advanced Member

    Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
    Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
    Posts: 4,879

    Thanks: 1382 times
    Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

    clyde_aya@yahoo.com;308739 wrote:


    SHE'll be as high as NUMBER 3 if she wins! Hope she wins this match!!!



    Number 3 then at the next tournament number 2 and finally number 1


    Little by little Masha is reaching the top of the WTA ranking but she is improving her tennis, it is more important than the ranking.  

    "I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.



    liliu_wrj@yahoo.com.br
    #281 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:10:47 AM(UTC)
    liliu_wrj@yahoo.com.br

    Rank: Advanced Member

    Groups: BasicUsers
    Joined: 3/8/2011(UTC)
    Posts: 170

    Thanks: 30 times
    Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 42 post(s)

    There are not enough words to describe how much I'm happy that Maria won today and reached the final. Today she didn't serve so well as she did against Cibulkova, with too many DFs, but her mental strength made a huge difference today and that's why she will play the final on Saturday agains Petra Kvitova. It will be tough because Petra Kvitova outplayed Victoria Azarenka today and can be very dangerous. Hope that Maria can serve better in the final and play again with this amazing mental strength. GO MARIA MY SUPPORT IS YOURS!!!!!

    ShelbyK
    #282 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:23:14 AM(UTC)
    ShelbyK

    Rank: Advanced Member

    Groups: BasicUsers
    Joined: 3/8/2011(UTC)
    Posts: 120

    Thanks: 10 times
    Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)

    If you would have told me Maria was going to be in the wimbledon final 1 or 2 years ago I would have jumped for joy! Way to go Maria!

    Users browsing this topic
    Guest
    18 Pages«<1213141516>»
    Forum Jump  
    You cannot post new topics in this forum.
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
    You cannot create polls in this forum.
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum.