logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

16 Pages<1234>»
Roland Garros
tgj92
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:46:13 AM(UTC)
tgj92

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

clyde_aya@yahoo.com;307654 wrote:

Sad to say that a lot of people on net are bashing about Maria's title in Rome. Funny thqat they are giving lots of reason regarding the win.

x. Sharapova got lucky in the quarterfinals, Azarenka retired at that match. It was supposed to be Azarenka's title.

x. Wozniacki was "not playing her best" during their semi final bout. No wonder Maria won it.

x. Stosur was sick during their final match. If she wasn't sick, it would be a different story.

Just really hate those "haters" thingy.

Anyway, can't wait for the draw to come out. The harder the draw, the better Sharapova play. :D

One word to describe what they're feeling.

FEAR

Imnumber2
#20 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:28:54 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

tgj92;307659 wrote:

Sad to say that a lot of people on net are bashing about Maria's title in Rome. Funny thqat they are giving lots of reason regarding the win.

x. Sharapova got lucky in the quarterfinals, Azarenka retired at that match. It was supposed to be Azarenka's title.

x. Wozniacki was "not playing her best" during their semi final bout. No wonder Maria won it.

x. Stosur was sick during their final match. If she wasn't sick, it would be a different story.

Anyway, can't wait for the draw to come out. The harder the draw, the better Sharapova play. :D

FEAR

very true!

FYI, Maria is already in Center Court RG practicing.

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
tgj92
#21 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:35:21 PM(UTC)
tgj92

Imnumber2;307666 wrote:

tgj92;307659 wrote:

FEAR

very true!

FYI, Maria is already in Center Court RG practicing.

Indeed, and sporting a mighty big bruise!

4 users thanked tgj92 for this useful post.
shyra asis on 5/19/2011(UTC), paul_pipkin on 5/19/2011(UTC), deadchip on 5/20/2011(UTC), Brebis on 5/21/2011(UTC)
Nazar
#26 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:31:59 AM(UTC)
Nazar

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)

^ Nice pics!!! Lovely smile on Maria s face!!!

"Optimists find good things"-Robert De Niro
shyra asis
#27 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:33:20 AM(UTC)
shyra asis

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Poll from tennis.com...people still can't shake off the Rome win, it even boosted their confidence to beleive in Maria...

“I think I learn a lot from losses and they make me a lot tougher,”-Maria Sharapova

paul_pipkin
#28 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:11:16 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1871 time(s) in 1241 post(s)

True. I'd mentioned on the "Talk Update" thread: "In the blogosphere, the official blogger of Roland Garros site, Drew Lilley, is a righteous dude. " Hey, tell me what I say: 

Sharapova develops feet of clay 

Monday, May 16, 2011

By Drew Lilley

While the men's tournament was the same old same old (though how we are all coming to enjoy these Nadal-Djokovic battles), the WTA half of the combined event certainly threw up surprises, not least in the shape of the victor. It is almost clichéd to quote Maria Sharapova's description of herself as a "cow on ice" when it comes to clay, but she put any past travails on red dirt behind her with an accomplished display, cruising through the tournament with barely a hiccup and demolishing clay-courter and last year's French Open finalist Sam Stosur in a straight-sets final.

Sharapova feasted on Stosur's kick serve which reared up at a perfect height for the 6'2" Siberian to swing through, and though her movement was still ponderous at times, she compensated for that much in the way that fellow Bollettieri Academy alumnus Andre Agassi did on clay - by hitting with power and precision.

There has never been a better time for the world no.8 to mount a serious challenge at the French, with Kim Clijsters struggling to recover from an ankle injury in time for Roland Garros, the absence of the Williams sisters and the disappearance of the other Russian clay-courters off the radar (Elena Dementieva having retired, Dinara Safina likely to follow her and 2009 winner Svetlana Kuznetsova unable to return to former glories). Sharapova has three majors to her name, and victory in Paris in June would complete her career Grand Slam.

Top seed no.1 Caroline Wozniacki was taken apart by Sharapova in the semis, whose only struggles came against world no.4 Victoria Azarenka in a quarter-final tie that was truncated after the Belarusian hyper-extended her elbow after winning the first set. No.2 seed and defending French Open champion Francesca Schiavone meanwhile disappointed the Rome crowd, going down in straight sets to Stosur. A good showing at the Foro Italico, surrounded by home fans and the pressure that comes with increased expectations, would have gone a long way to dispelling the myth that the whirlwind from Milan is a one-Slam wonder. Instead, she is going to have to do it at Roland Garros… 

http://www.rolandgarros....1105161305554783794.html 

In Wednesday's "News From the French", Drew wrote:

Maria is here
Fresh from her success on the clay of Rome, Maria Sharapova is now in situ at Roland Garros and enjoyed a hit-out on centre court on Wednesday morning. The Russian, who was sporting a t-shirt that was brightly coloured to say the least, had a short but intensive session and looked in good physical shape, despite having to stretch out her right leg every so often.

http://www.rolandgarros....1105181305733543830.html 

And Russians Anastasia Pivovarova, Ekaterina Bychkova, Regina Kulikova & Vitalia Diatchenko have entered the final round of Roland Garros qualifying. :group: Olga Govortsova of Belarus will play Bulgar Kazakhstani Sesil Karatantcheva to qualify

ДАВАЙ all Russia-girlz!!! :bash:

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
deadchip on 5/20/2011(UTC)
tgj92
#29 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:18:43 PM(UTC)
tgj92

From Today 

2 users thanked tgj92 for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 5/19/2011(UTC), deadchip on 5/20/2011(UTC)
saggittarian
#30 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:23:49 PM(UTC)
saggittarian

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Thanks for the lovely pics, tgj. Is that bruise on her left knee a result of that dive against Wozi??

paul_pipkin
#31 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:30:43 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Not when she sprawled on the court. Woz or Stosur, don't remember which--bleeding at the time. Umpire told the physio to stand by but Masha didn't call for treatment?

tgj92
#32 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:31:07 PM(UTC)
tgj92

^^ No worries pal, and yeah it's from the fall v Princess

^ Yeah i remember the commentators making some predictable statement about her determination or focus or something after she opted against getting it dealt with during the match.

paul_pipkin
#33 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 5:20:08 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Or they could just say, Unlike some people, she doesn't bawl like a big old sissy whenever she scrapes her knee.lol 

Draw within the next few hours.  Drew Lilley blogs:

"As is traditional, it will be ladies first with the women's singles draw getting things under way. The non-seeded players will first be allocated their slots electronically, before Nadal draws out the 32 seeds to be added. The men's singles draw will then follow, using the same method, and you can keep abreast of all the action on the Roland Garros Twitter accounts."

Now one could read into that "random" -- but It's not. Neither does Drew claim that. 

http://twitter.com/#!/rolandgarros 

Though RG had the dubious distinction as the first major to engage in a Russian Quarter a few years ago, the French have not repeated that behavior so far. RG draw manipulation is typically confined to a little tilt favoring their own national players.  We shall see.

paul_pipkin
#34 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 6:20:49 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

paul_pipkin;307693 wrote:

Or they could just say, Unlike some people, she doesn't bawl like a big old sissy whenever she scrapes her knee.lol 

Draw within the next few hours.  Drew Lilley blogs:

"As is traditional, it will be ladies first with the women's singles draw getting things under way. The non-seeded players will first be allocated their slots electronically, before Nadal draws out the 32 seeds to be added. The men's singles draw will then follow, using the same method, and you can keep abreast of all the action on the Roland Garros Twitter accounts."

Now one could read into that "random" -- but It's not. Neither does Drew claim that. 

http://twitter.com/#!/rolandgarros 

Though RG had the dubious distinction as the first major to engage in a Russian Quarter a few years ago, the French have not repeated that behavior so far. RG draw manipulation is typically confined to a little tilt favoring their own national players.  We shall see.

DRAW IS UP! MASHA TO MEET KIM IN QUARTERFINAL! 

http://www.rolandgarros....cores/draws/ws/r1s4.html 

There IS something of a Russian Quarter,  though Maria is not in it.

Whereas the are only a couple of Russians in the other quarters, the second quarter is a Slavic ghetto:

Vera Zvonareva

Nadia Petrova

Alisa Kleybanova

Nastia Pavlyuchenkova

Vera Dushevina

Vesna (Manasieva) Dolonts

plus

Yaroslava Shvedova

Alona Bondarenko

Varvara Lepchenko

Roland Garros Draw

Posted on May 20, 2011

The draw for the second Grand Slam of the year at Roland Garros has been released and Maria is seeded No.7 and will play Mirjana Lucic of Croatia in the first round.  Maria has never played Lucic before.

The first seed Maria can meet is No.31 seed Klara Zakopalova of the Czech Republic in the third round.  No.2 seed Kim Clijsters of Belgium is the seeded player Maria can meet in the quarters.

Click here for the full draw.

Roland Garros is the only Grand Slam played on clay and Maria's best result was reaching the semis in 2007.  Last year Maria lost in the 3rd round to 4-time champion Justine Henin and has 160 points to defend.

saggittarian
#35 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 11:50:56 AM(UTC)
saggittarian

Thanks, Paul. If Maria continues to play like she did in Rome she can take on Kim. No fear.

paul_pipkin
#36 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 2:04:15 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

saggittarian;307712 wrote:

Thanks, Paul. If Maria continues to play like she did in Rome she can take on Kim. No fear.

Oh, I've no problems where Masha is concerned. Zakopalova in 3rd round, Wicky or Agnie in the 4th, Kim or Petko in the quarter--actually, I'd be more concerned if sister Kiri were to get though. (Know each other too well.) But Maria knows how to play all these women.  

ДАВАЙ Маша!!!  

My issue is the denial of a level playing field to other Russians. As we saw during the USO Series, that pattern of creeping corruption ultimately must impact on "our girl" in spite of her corporate juice.

At Stuttgart, we saw the corrupters apparently escalate from rigged draws & occasional malfeasance in the chair to racquet tampering. (When Eurosport was still trying to explain that away during Brussels today, you know I'm hardly the only one saying this.)  Players having to lug in ALL the equipment they'll use because they can't trust tournament staff is a sad commentary on the sport.

I'm quite concerned about Zvonareva. If IMG Corp cannot or will not provide the top Russian the same protection they give Maria, there is NO reason Vera should remain signed with them. 

Reading "between the lines", RG blogger Drew Lilley is sufficienty convinced Zvonareva (and all other Russians in the Rooskie Quarter) have been stitched right outta the picture:

"In the women's draw, no.1 seed Caroline Wozniacki will face 40-year-old Kimiko Date Krumm in her opener and is unlikely to face any real tests, other than an out-of form 2009 champion Svetlana Kuznetsova, before the 2010 finalists Sam Stosur in the quarters then Francesca Schiavone in the semis. Kim Clijsters, the no.2 seed who is slowly recovering from an ankle injury which has kept her off clay this year, should not be pushed too hard until a possible Round of 16 tie with Andrea Petkovic followed by a meeting with Rome winner Maria Sharapova (who also has a comfortable bracket) in the quarters.

"Stosur has perhaps the toughest draw of the women, the Australian no. 8 seed pitted against Czech lefty Iveta Benesova in the opener followed by either junior Roland Garros winner Simona Halep or Alla Kudryavtseva, then Wimbledon semi-finalist Tsvetana Pironkova before Julia Goerges or Marion Bartoli in the Round of 16."

Imnumber2
#37 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 5:33:54 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

As far as I'm concern, a last week win s all she needs to boost her confident in a very high gear. She is a type of player that has no FEAR!! and that's what make her special.

She seems to be in a real TOP SHAPE. I have not seen her moving this well since the AO 08.

However, Wicky and Kim are the one to watch.

Best of luck Maria!

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
tgj92
#38 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 5:35:13 PM(UTC)
tgj92

So i was chatting with Nicole (nicoletto) earlier and we were thinking... How many times are the Eurosport commentary 'team' gonna say the following sentences during Maria's French Open campaign: 

Feel free to add any other gems to the list :P

"Thomas Hogstedt there, Maria's coach, has worked with the likes of Li Na and Tommy Haas in the past"

"That's Sasha Vujacic, Maria's fiancee, he's currently playing for the New Jersey Nets."

"Maria has won over 14 million dollars in prize money but that's only a drop in the ocean when compared it to her sponsorship deals *laughs*"

"At 6'2, 188cm, she's one of the tallest "

"She's never lost that determination and desire, even after the injury. Always wants to be the best and go out and win every match"

"She's been changing it constantly since the injury but i think this latest motion is more fluid and natural. That's been one of Hogstedt's major goals since he started working with her because the serve is the basis of her game and when its firing it gives her confidence, he's just tried to regain that rhythm. I think he's found a good formula.

"Now i've noticed this about her on clay this year, watch the 2nd serve, almost always goes for the big one down the T in the Deuce Court "

"They're both extremely loud but i think Vika just edges it for me, hers seems to go on longer"

1 user thanked tgj92 for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 5/21/2011(UTC)
Brebis
#40 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:38:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)

Looking at the draw, I have my fears !! Kim and Victoria are both in Maria half of the draw and to me the most dangerous players on clay. Maria needs to be in "Italian" shape, otherwise I fear for great results.

saggittarian
#41 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:39:41 AM(UTC)
saggittarian

Kim might not be a problem. Vika yes. 3 setter most definitely.

paul_pipkin
#39 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:53:40 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

tgj92;307719 wrote:

So i was chatting with Nicole (nicoletto) earlier and we were thinking... How many times are the Eurosport commentary 'team' gonna say the following sentences during Maria's French Open campaign: 

Feel free to add any other gems to the list :P

"Thomas Hogstedt there, Maria's coach, has worked with the likes of Li Na and Tommy Haas in the past"

"That's Sasha Vujacic, Maria's fiancee, he's currently playing for the New Jersey Nets."

"Maria has won over 14 million dollars in prize money but that's only a drop in the ocean when compared it to her sponsorship deals *laughs*"

"At 6'2, 188cm, she's one of the tallest "

"She's never lost that determination and desire, even after the injury. Always wants to be the best and go out and win every match"

"She's been changing it constantly since the injury but i think this latest motion is more fluid and natural. That's been one of Hogstedt's major goals since he started working with her because the serve is the basis of her game and when its firing it gives her confidence, he's just tried to regain that rhythm. I think he's found a good formula.

"Now i've noticed this about her on clay this year, watch the 2nd serve, almost always goes for the big one down the T in the Deuce Court "

"They're both extremely loud but i think Vika just edges it for me, hers seems to go on longer"

ESPN2 will chime in with "Maria's story has been told & retold..." and then tell it again -- in keeping with the network policy of addressing a core audience that LIVES UNDER A ROCK. lol!

Sunday OOP is up:  

http://www.rolandgarros....ores/schedule/index.html 

http://www.rolandgarros....schedule/p_schedule6.pdf 

clyde_aya@yahoo.com
#42 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2011 7:18:38 AM(UTC)
clyde_aya@yahoo.com

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)

Actually I thought the draw is really a "tough" one.

1st round: Mirjana Lucic

She is "pretty" dangerous player. She stretched Jelena Jankovic in 3 sets at the US OPEN 2010. You can never underestimate lower ranked players. They can always stage an upset.

Her possible  4rth round opponent could either be Radwanska or Petkovic. I really don't see Petkovic going that far. In my opinion, clay doesn't really fit her game at all. Radwanska could be the more possible opponent for Maria. Very tricky player. Kirilenko could also stage an upset here. She faded a bit during the clay court season, but Kirilenko is a "unpredictable" player, she can always be dangerous.

And now here's my favorite part. Quarterfinals against Kim Clijster. Many predicted that Kim CLijster will go far in the draw. Some even predicted her to be the CHAMPION, which I find "quite" impossible. She hasn't played the whole clay court season, but then she's playing. Yes, she is always dangerous and probably "the best player" of the season so far, but still her injured ankle will affect her game TREMENDOUSLY. MOVEMENT is always a must when playing on clay. Without movement, you'll surely be having a hard time playing. Clijster injured her ankle and that surely will affect her movement, the surface could even worsen the injury. With Clijster's hampered movement, I'm pretty sure she'll be having a hard time playing. Her movement is one of the components that gave Clijster a successful career. But without it, I don't think those "predictions" will happen. Not mentioning she'll be playing the "FIRST-STRIKE-ARTIST" Sharapova who love to move her opponent around!

Well, this is just my overview.