logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Davis Cup
paul_pipkin
#1 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 10:05:35 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1881 time(s) in 1250 post(s)

Nadal's Texas debut to come in Davis Cup 

Austin's Erwin Center likely site for quarterfinal pitting Spain, U.S. 

By DALE ROBERTSON

Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle

March 9, 2011, 10:34PM

Roberto Candia AP

Andy Roddick agreed to rejoin the U.S. team this year and travel to Chile for a first-round match last weekend in return for assurances he could play near his home in the next round.

Imagine this scenario: Andy Roddick, thrice thwarted in Wimbledon finals over the past decade, makes another great run this summer and winds up facing defending champion Rafael Nadal for tennis' most prized title. Then, five days later, they square off in another best-of-five rematch in Austin at the Frank Erwin Center.

The first half of that script is going to be strictly up to the 28-year-old Roddick, who lost a memorable five-setter to Roger Federer in 2009 after also succumbing to Federer in 2004 and 2005 (plus the '03 semis). But the second part appears to be reality, which means, barring injury, the No. 1-ranked Nadal will finally make his Texas debut in the 2011 Davis Cup quarterfinals.

A formal announcement that the Cup will be held in Austin July 8-10 is expected in a week or so, at which point ticket information will be available. San Antonio is also pitching the Alamodome, but Roddick's residency on Lake Austin gives the capitol the inside track.

It's assumed that Roddick agreed to rejoin the U.S. team this year and travel to Chile for a first-round match last weekend in return for assurances he could play near his home in the next round if the Americans advanced. They defeated Chile 4-1, and Spain beat Belgium by the same score.

Rumors you may have heard that the matches would be played on grass are laughable. For starters, there's only one grass court in the Austin area, and it's hardly suitable for spectators. Further, Nadal, a two-time Wimbledon champion, isn't exactly helpless on the surface. Instead, the tie will be played on a fast carpet in air-conditioned comfort.

Rafa's meteoric rise to the top of the game began in the spring of 2005, well after Houston had hosted the 2002 U.S.-Spain quarterfinal on grass at Westside Tennis and Fitness. The 2003-04 Masters Cups at Westside also came too soon for him to make a qualifying run. Roddick, in turn, hasn't played a sanctioned match of any kind in Texas since losing to Tommy Haas in the 2006 Clay Courts quarterfinals.

The first Davis Cup tie played in Texas was at River Oaks in 1936, when the U.S. beat Mexico 5-0. Arthur Ashe led the U.S. to a 4-1 victory in his Cup debut at Dallas' Samuell-Grand Tennis Center in 1965, and the Americans won the 1992 final in Fort Worth with current Davis Cup captain Jim Courier on the team.

Date & venue confirmed, etc.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
CROUCHING TIGER
#2 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 1:03:35 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2870 time(s) in 1723 post(s)
Interesting Paul, thx. and not just for the tennis.... Alamodrome, Mexico, TEXAS...i see westernheroes in my head:)

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
katmilr
#3 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 8:39:14 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 64 post(s)
hey Paul! I live in Austin so I'm excited about this. Are you planning on going?
paul_pipkin
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:00:07 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Gotta think on it. I just now realized this was going down.

katmilr
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 1:59:57 PM(UTC)
katmilr

I think I will go. Hope the ticket prices aren't bad. I just want to see Roddick and Nadal square off honestly
paul_pipkin
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 05, 2011 2:33:14 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

That intrigues me, too. I wouldn't normally come up there for a men's event, but let please me know what learn on tickets.

katmilr
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:03:23 PM(UTC)
katmilr

hey Paul I bought my tickets friday it ended up being $100 for the whole weekend. Not bad.

ps. I think I read that it is sold out now

1 user thanked katmilr for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 4/12/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:16:45 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

katmilr;306918 wrote:

hey Paul I bought my tickets friday it ended up being $100 for the whole weekend. Not bad.

ps. I think I read that it is sold out now

Thanx. True, $100 is not bad & sold out would not surprise me. It occurred to me that might well be the case long before I could arrange logistics for a weekend stay. 

Oh well, do you tweet? (See my ps. on the MC thread.) There will certainly be stream. In fact, as it's local & male, there is some possibility that otherwise crappy Fox SportsNet might get on this one.  

paul_pipkin
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 8:50:54 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

So, katmilr: I assume you are up there in the Frank Erwin Center watching all this?

I got nothing against Mardy Fish or the Bryan brothers--and I'm not even thrilled at captain Jim Courier suffering a disaster early on his watch.

But I'm also fond of David Ferrer and I gotta get behind David showing up Roddick for the jackass he is--IN HIS OWN TOWN!!! :hahaha: 

Congrats also to Spanish captain Albert Costa--that first set tiebreak challenge may turn out pivotal to the entire tie. 8-)

Viva España!!!   

katmilr
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 11:01:14 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Yes I am there, Paul. What a disappointment the first day was! At least the Bryan Brothers won today! But it is going to be an uphill battle tomorrow. I'm really sad I paid to see this to be honest :( .
paul_pipkin
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:44:09 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

katmilr;308968 wrote:
Yes I am there, Paul. What a disappointment the first day was! At least the Bryan Brothers won today! But it is going to be an uphill battle tomorrow. I'm really sad I paid to see this to be honest :( .

Once Rafa pulled out, I'd paid almost no attention. Who knew the Spaniards would come on so strong even without him?  But I do have TTC right now so I started watching a bit. Amused to flash on familiar faces now & then among the older generation in the crowd. So far no close friends or associates, but definitely faces I've run across in an earlier incarnation. lol

paul_pipkin
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:30:12 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

10 Jul 2011

By Sandy Harwitt

Photo: Paul ZimmerDavid Ferrer (ESP).

AUSTIN, TX, USA: David Ferrer did the deed well on Sunday, delivering Spain to the Davis Cup semifinal with a 75 76(3) 57 76 (5) win over Mardy Fish. Spain will play France with the home court advantage in September’s semifinals with defending champions Serbia hosting Argentina in the other semifinals.

Ferrer’s victory provided Spain with an insurmountable 3-1 lead over the United States.

On Friday, Feliciano Lopez beat Fish 64 36 63 67(2) 86, and Ferrer upended Andy Roddick 76(9) 75 63 in his hometown of Austin, Texas, to give Spain a 2-0 lead after the first day of action.

On Saturday, the top-ranked doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan kept the Americans alive with a 67(3) 64 64 64 win over Marcel Granollers and Fernando Verdasco.

But the reprieve for the United States was brief. Ferrer showed why he’s been a top 10 player for the past number of years as he out-muscled Fish.

The first set switched momentum until Ferrer, at 6-5, finally secured the set by breaking serve in the final game.

In the second set, Fish saved five set points on his serve in the 10th game to even the score to 5-all. In the tiebreak, they exchanged early minibreaks before Fish hit a forehand long to fall behind 2-4 and allow Ferrer to carry that minibreak to close out the second set.

Fish finally reeled in third set when Ferrer was serving at 5-6 in the set. The set went Fish’s way on the second set point when Ferrer netted a forehand.

In the fourth set, Ferrer served for the match at 5-4 after breaking Fish’s serve in the ninth game. But he never had a match point, double faulting at 15-40 to bring the score back even to 5-5.

In the tiebreak, Ferrer eventually took the match on his one match point. Fish was serving at 5-6 and hit a forehand crosscourt shot way out.

katmilr
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:44:14 PM(UTC)
katmilr

lol!!

Just got back. What a wretched showing by the US! Seriously. Okay the Bryan Bros were AWESOME. but other than that they sucked. I can't believe Fish and Roddick practically choked in their matches.

Day 1
Fish- gets a break in the 5th set and still loses
Roddick- Serves for the first set 40-0 and loses the first set
Gets a break in the 2nd set and then loses it

Day 3- Fish: Serves for the first set and then loses the match.

Geez. Seriously and what does Courier say about this? A terrible performance in Andy's HOMETOWN and Spain without NADAL. I mean Come on! But Well played to Spanish team. Ferrer and Verdasco were really nice to me when I went to Cincinnati Masters last year and gave me their autographs so I guess I am happy for them.

I already predict it will be Spain vs. Serbia in the final.
paul_pipkin
#14 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2011 8:25:31 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Yeah, Spain & Serbia both playing their semis at home. But I don't know which would host the final.

Russia Davis Cup versus Brazil will take place in Kazan

Davis Cup World Group play-off between Russia and Brazil will be held from September 16 to 18 in Kazan.

This was announced by the President of the Russian Tennis Federation, the men's team captain Shamil Tarpischev: "I am glad that it will be a home game, and more pleasant for me personally that it should be in Kazan. Away, we would have a chance is not enough, but here we can choose the surface.The main thing is to avoid injuries, which have recently pursued our team."

I should add that the last time the Russian team played Davis Cup other than in Moscow was in 1994. Then the quarterfinal match against Czech Republic was held in St. Petersburg and ended with the victory of Russian team 3-2.

paul_pipkin
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:11:18 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Draw for 2012 Davis Cup: World Group

BANGKOK, THAILAND: The Draw for the 2012 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group was made on Wednesday at the Four Seasons hotel in Bangkok. The first round ties will be played on 10-12 February.

This year's finalists Spain and Argentina, the top two seeds for 2012, received contrasting fortunes in the Draw, while the pick of the ties sees 32-time champions USA travel to Switzerland.

Spain, fresh from booking their place in the final with a 4-1 win over France at the weekend, will be at home against Kazakhstan in a first meeting between the two nations. The Kazakhs made their World Group debut in 2011 and went on to reach the quartefinals.

Argentina, who defeated defending champions Serbia 3-2 to reach the final, face a tricky away clash with Germany. The Argentines lead their series 5-2, although they were whitewashed 5-0 the last time the two nations met on German soil, in 1991.

Switzerland and USA will be doing battle for the fourth time when they go head-to-head, and home advantage has always proved pivotal with the Americans holding a 2-1 advantage. The Swiss only gained promotion to the World Group on Monday when they finally sealed a 3-2 victory over Australia after bad light stopped play on Sunday.

WORLD GROUP

- Spain (s)(c)(*) v Kazakhstan

Russia (s) v Austria (c) (Russian team travels to Austria)

- France (s) v Canada (c)(*)

- USA (s) v Switzerland (c)

- Italy v Czech Republic (s)(c)

- Sweden v Serbia (s)(c)

- Japan (c)(*) v Croatia (s)

- Germany (c) v Argentina (s)

KEY

- [s] Seed
- [c] Choice of Ground
-

• Decided by lot

http://www.daviscup.com/...vis-cup-world-group.aspx