logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

13 Pages<1234>»
Kremlin Cup 2010_16-24 october 2010
paul_pipkin
#222 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:27:25 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1871 time(s) in 1241 post(s)

From last week but I just found it. RIA Novosti:

Sharapova still 'queen' of tennis - Russia's head coach

Former World No. 1 Maria Sharapova of Russia will always be the "queen" of tennis whether she wins or not, the head coach of the Russian national tennis team said on Wednesday.

Earlier this week, Sharapova failed to reach the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York after she suffered a straight sets defeat against Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki 3-6, 4-6.

"Sharapova is the queen of tennis, whether she wins or loses. She is the queen in everything. Wozniacki of course has more stability, but Sharapova looked more interesting," Vladimir Kamelzon said.

He said that Sharapova, who holds three Grand Slam titles including the 2006 U.S. Open, will definitely win one more in her tennis career.

"Everyone must learn from Maria, particularly the class of game, which she demonstrates. She is a unique athlete, ready to repeat her success and win a Grand Slam title once again," Kamelzon said.

Sharapova, 23, became an overnight tennis sensation at the age of 17 when she won Wimbledon in 2004, and quickly showed her business acumen by signing lucrative contracts with the global brands Canon, Motorola, Tiffany, Land Rover, and Colgate-Palmolive.

Last month Forbes magazine named Sharapova the world's highest-paid female athlete.

MOSCOW, September 8 (RIA Novosti)

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20100908/160517236.html

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Dartagnan
#73 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:31:14 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)
[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

Former World No. 1 Maria Sharapova of Russia will always be the "queen" of tennis whether she wins or not, the head coach of the Russian national tennis team said on Wednesday.

Earlier this week, Sharapova failed to reach the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York after she suffered a straight sets defeat against Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki 3-6, 4-6.

"Sharapova is the queen of tennis, whether she wins or loses. She is the queen in everything. Wozniacki of course has more stability, but Sharapova looked more interesting," Vladimir Kamelzon said.

He said that Sharapova, who holds three Grand Slam titles including the 2006 U.S. Open, will definitely win one more in her tennis career.

"Everyone must learn from Maria, particularly the class of game, which she demonstrates. She is a unique athlete, ready to repeat her success and win a Grand Slam title once again," Kamelzon said.

Sharapova, 23, became an overnight tennis sensation at the age of 17 when she won Wimbledon in 2004, and quickly showed her business acumen by signing lucrative contracts with the global brands Canon, Motorola, Tiffany, Land Rover, and Colgate-Palmolive.

Last month Forbes magazine named Sharapova the world's highest-paid female athlete.

[/quote]

Thanks Paul for the news.

I am not worried about Maria Sharapova's tennis. She is young and if she continues to work, she will obtain good results. 

The Kremlin Cup is also a good experience for future tournaments.  Each tournemant is a new experience. Each tournament can help you to be stronger in other tournaments.

Discouragement is not for Russian people. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

giane
#112 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:29:56 AM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
[quote user="Dartagnan"][quote user="paul_pipkin"]

[/quote]

Thanks Paul for the news.

I am not worried about Maria Sharapova's tennis. She is young and if she continues to work, she will obtain good results. 

The Kremlin Cup is also a good experience for future tournaments.  Each tournemant is a new experience. Each tournament can help you to be stronger in other tournaments.

Discouragement is not for Russian people. 

[/quote]

i agree with you Dart.. and oh, that's a very good news Paul! thanks for that..

her determination and dedication to tennis are her investments to pursue and still be outstanding to future generations.. some says others seems to be so pathetic to watch for.. yeah, i agree.. unlike Masha, aside from her grunting that makes you up and cheered, her shots and turns are really a must-seen scenes.. especially her baseline shots..

[H] 

Liquid
#142 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 4:09:25 AM(UTC)
Liquid

Personally, I don't mind the grunting at all.

Philli
#239 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 10:31:29 AM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)

You're all not grasping the problem with Maria.  It's not that other players are better... they just play better tennis than her. 

Maria is too inconsistent in her game.  Sure, she has a great serve...when she doesn't slam it into the net or send it wide.   She has a good forehand, when it doesn't go long or over the tramlines. Her backhand isn't bad either except when she tries a cross while running to either corner of the baseline....then it usually goes wide. Her problem is that she hasn't cured any of the major faults which lead to Double Faults or Unforced Errors.

She loses more games than she wins by her own faults, and it's not that her game is all that bad....just inconsistent.  She lost 3 finals this year to players that she has, on occasions, beaten.  And her fitness isn't where it should be.  For someone who claims that she can only do 10 tournaments a year, you would think that she would be at the peek of fitness for each one, when other girls go from tournament to tournament with only a couple of days off.

She may still be the 'Queen' in the eyes of the Russians, but she lost her crown about 3 years ago.

paul_pipkin
#230 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:18:55 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Philli: Kamelzon said the same thing re "consistency". Suspect that in translation that's what was rendered as "stability". But he goes on to laud her "class of game". What is that? Elegant, highly-tuned play has fine tolerances. Such can, in fact, go more easily awry than more pedestrian, conservative play. It can even for Fed--as we saw a few days ago...

But, er... you were saying something about her "weaseling" onto the Fed Cup team? Per remarks like these from the head of Tarpischev's coaching staff, I don't think that's a problem... [;)]

[/quote]
Liquid
#143 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:28:58 AM(UTC)
Liquid

[quote user="Philli"]

You're all not grasping the problem with Maria.  It's not that other players are better... they just play better tennis than her. 

Maria is too inconsistent in her game.  Sure, she has a great serve...when she doesn't slam it into the net or send it wide.   She has a good forehand, when it doesn't go long or over the tramlines. Her backhand isn't bad either except when she tries a cross while running to either corner of the baseline....then it usually goes wide. Her problem is that she hasn't cured any of the major faults which lead to Double Faults or Unforced Errors.

She loses more games than she wins by her own faults, and it's not that her game is all that bad....just inconsistent.  She lost 3 finals this year to players that she has, on occasions, beaten.  And her fitness isn't where it should be.  For someone who claims that she can only do 10 tournaments a year, you would think that she would be at the peek of fitness for each one, when other girls go from tournament to tournament with only a couple of days off.

She may still be the 'Queen' in the eyes of the Russians, but she lost her crown about 3 years ago.

[/quote] I agree with a lot of what you say here, but not all of it.

The most frustrating thing is, is that Maria's DF issues looked to have dissapeared in Cincy, and even in her first three matches in the US Open, where her DF numbers was pretty good considering the wind issues. Her lowest DF count was against Groth where her back was 'up against the wall' for the first half of the match.

In her r4 macth, it came back like a nasty virus.

paul_pipkin
#223 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:37:53 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

If Maria plays Kremlin Cup, we must access Russian media to get the real story. I'll show you why: Masha played Fed Cup in Jan 2008 against Israel. BEFORE the behavior of Shahar Peer & her supporters turned so disgraceful that Western press opted to "erase the memory" of that entire Fed Cup tie, there were a raft of LIES published that caused some distress on this forum. Some were absurd, like Maria allegedly buying Israeli real estate, Peer claiming that Dementieva (who wasn't even there) had made scurrilous remarks about Maria & Team Russia... dreck like that.

One that was HEAVILY pumped & promoted by Associated Press & American media in particular alleged that Maria did not practice or train with the Russians. At http://blog.sport-expres...s/fedyakov/post65448376/ is a LONG series of PICTURES of Maria & Michael Joyce working with Vesnina, Tarpischev & members of his staff. As far as I know, over two years later, these images have never been posted or published in Western media!

Re all things Maria/Russia, go to Russian sources.

Liquid
#144 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:05:20 AM(UTC)
Liquid

Thanks Paul, we can always rely on you to uncover their lies.

Hey, I was getting kinda bored so I decided to revise the Beijing Olympics 2008 results, and was reminded of the Russian 1,2,3. What a great achievement for the Russians. Such a shame that Maria couldn't compete.

paul_pipkin
#224 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:40:05 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Liquid"]

Thanks Paul, we can always rely on you to uncover their lies.

Hey, I was getting kinda bored so I decided to revise the Beijing Olympics 2008 results, and was reminded of the Russian 1,2,3. What a great achievement for the Russians. Such a shame that Maria couldn't compete.

[/quote]

At the time, I was bummed too. Only later did we realize the critical nature of her developing injuries that made the Olympiad impossible for her at that time. But Lenochka finally got her Gold and I had to be happy about that.

Things are what they are. Whether or not we believe they "happen for a reason", when we look back at them later, they can often look that way. Visualize Masha on the podium--particularly with the Gold. Pretty picture, but zoom out and up and review the world at that moment.

As the teams had marched into the Bird's Nest, the number one Russian fan, Prime Minister Putin, had to hurry away to Sochi--to deal with a war. I won't go on about the truth the world now knows--unlike that night--but consider the girls on the podium. No mouthpieces dared challenge Dementieva--and God knows they was no way they'd open the door for Safina or Foreign Ministry student Zvonareva to start talking about the unpleasantness in the Caucasus!

But what if Sharapova had been on the spot?

Zoom back in on the freshly minted WTA Beijing office, with a TTC camera crew at their disposal. Remember that it was August of 2008. Their politicos still hoped Clinton might be able to steal the Democrat Convention & be in a position to reignite the Cold War. They had already painted themselves into a corner by propagating the "American Maria" myth.

Let's just say it would have gotten real ugly. In hindsight, there are more than a few reasons the existing picture is best. [H]

paul_pipkin
#225 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:55:34 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Though awaiting final confirmation, the tournament site posted today:

16.09.2010                                                              participants of the Kremlin Cup 2010

65-page, beautifully illustrated 6Mb PDF with probably WAY more than you wanted to know about Kremlin Cup! http://images.kremlincup...17/0000022064/field8.pdf 

giane
#113 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:13:13 PM(UTC)
giane

16.09.2010                                                              participants of the Kremlin Cup 2010

65-page, beautifully illustrated 6Mb PDF with probably WAY more than you wanted to know about Kremlin Cup! http://images.kremlincup...17/0000022064/field8.pdf 

[/quote]

whoa!!! haha.. yey! [:D] this news captured my very big smile! hahaha.. it's a very very good news! hope it is already confirmed! [;)] Vera's now one of my favourites.. hope i Marikiri will be there too!  yeepee!

thanks man![:P]

paul_pipkin
#226 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:40:54 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="giane"][quote user="paul_pipkin"]

[/quote]

whoa!!! haha.. yey! [:D] this news captured my very big smile! hahaha.. it's a very very good news! hope it is already confirmed! [;)] Vera's now one of my favourites.. hope i Marikiri will be there too!  yeepee!

thanks man![:P]

[/quote]

Y'r welcome. [H] Yes, Kirilenko was already on the list:

Jankovic, Jelena Serbia 5
Schiavone, Francesca Italy 7
Zvonareva, Vera Russia 8
Radwanska, Agnieszka Poland 10
Azarenka, Victoria Belarus 11
Kuznetsova, Svetlana Russia 13
Petrova, Nadia Russia 16
Pennetta, Flavia Italy 21
Pavlyuchenkova, Anastasia Russia 22
Martinez Sanchez, Maria Jose Spain 24
Kirilenko, Maria Russia 25
Dulgheru, Alexandra Romania 27
Safarova, Lucie Czech Republic 28
Kvitova, Petra Czech Republic 29
Kleybanova, Alisa Russia 30
Kanepi, Kaia Estonia 32
Bondarenko, Alona Ukraine 33
Pironkova, Tsvetana Bulgaria 34
Zakopalova, Klara Czech Republic 35
Errani, Sara Italy 37
Petkovic, Andrea Germany 38
Safina, Dinara Russia 50

http://www.kremlincup.ru/db/news/1394 (for the ATP list as well.)

giane
#114 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 2:04:57 AM(UTC)
giane

vaya! and Dianara too! wow.. just hope they will not be at early round.. i mean them all..

hmmm. i am afraid, your Lenochka is not on the list??[:^)]

i gotta check her sched btw.. :D

paul_pipkin
#227 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 8:16:08 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="giane"]

vaya! and Dianara too! wow.. just hope they will not be at early round.. i mean them all..

[/quote]

Elena is a KC Champion (2007--first time she beat Serena.) So she has a wildcard whenever she wants it. She's scheduled to play both Tokyo & Beijing, so perhaps waiting to see how things go at Tokyo before opting for three events back-to-back. See, there's a CHANCE she might become eligible for YEC--and WTA has seen to it that KC & YEC effectively conflict.

Philli
#240 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 9:01:24 AM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)

This is the current listing of the top 8 who have qualified for the YEC as of 13 Sept.  You will note that Vera, JJ, and Francesca are among them....Soooo... it's quite possible that they may not play the Kremlin Cup to reserve strength, since, at least Vera didn't really expect to do so well at US Open, and probably neither did Francesca.

Caroline Wozniacki

Serena Williams

Kim Clijsters

Vera Zvonareva

Venus Williams

Samantha Stosur

Jelena Jankovic

Francesca Schiavone

paul_pipkin
#228 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 9:36:25 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Philli"]

This is the current listing of the top 8 who have qualified for the YEC as of 13 Sept.  You will note that Vera, JJ, and Francesca are among them....Soooo... it's quite possible that they may not play the Kremlin Cup to reserve strength, since, at least Vera didn't really expect to do so well at US Open, and probably neither did Francesca.

Caroline Wozniacki

Serena Williams

Kim Clijsters

Vera Zvonareva

Venus Williams

Samantha Stosur

Jelena Jankovic

Francesca Schiavone

[/quote]

Unlike last year, they've haven't actually designated any as qualified yet because they've got too many questionables--like Serena. [:P] (I'm with you on that--the "foot" stinks.) So you also have to look at 9, 10 & 11 in race points:

9 Henin, Justine BEL 3415
10 Dementieva, Elena RUS 3327
11 Azarenka, Victoria BLR 3196

Unless Justine comes just to keep out Elena--which so far looks like the only reason the Tour "hired her back"--Henin is a non-starter. Thus Elena is effectively number 9 & the first alternate already. (She and Vika would get something between $15K to $30K just to be present in Doha if needed. If another drops, she plays, even as points stand now.

Dartagnan
#74 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 4:56:59 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

[/quote]

It is a wonderfull news!!!!!!

We really missed Maria at the Kremlin Cup and in Moscow of course.

Welcome Maria. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Dartagnan
#75 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 5:07:33 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

giane
#115 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 9:25:48 PM(UTC)
giane

[quote user="paul_pipkin"][quote user="giane"]

[/quote]

Elena is a KC Champion (2007--first time she beat Serena.) . She's scheduled to play both Tokyo & Beijing, so perhaps waiting to see how things go at Tokyo before opting for three events back-to-back. See, there's a CHANCE she might become eligible for YEC--and WTA has seen to it that KC & YEC effectively conflict.

[/quote]

So she has a wildcard whenever she wants it    (THIS IS AWESOME! WOW.. GOOD FOR HER!)

SO TOKYO WILL BE HER WARM UP FOR THE 3 EVENTS BACK TO BACK.. [Y] i am not that worried with the busy sched since, she had been through with the same stuffs previously.. i mean, in terms of back to back events..