logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

73 Pages<12345>»
USOpen 2010
dorhut
#216 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:08:57 AM(UTC)

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Serena will not be playing but we have another Williams playing. Don't rule her out[:)] Maria has to give 120% to win the USO. I've been following her matches since her comeback from injury. She hasn't got what it takes to win a GS. Not yet, anyway. I just love watching her play. She's very tenacious and she has style. Not too keen on the grunting though.
paul_pipkin
#787 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:38:32 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1876 time(s) in 1246 post(s)

Indeed, the going has gotten strange--so the strange get stranger. [;)]

1) Serena passing on USO -- injury or not -- is remarkable. That begs closer scrutiny, insofar as you can get any real info.

2) No need for Masha to fake the little heel niggle. The lengthy rain delay was already sufficient to throw any loss into question.

3) We're not dealing with the old Clijsters. This is an unfamiliar, kinda flaky Kim. She repeated the same weird "last minute comeback" exercise with Bethanie, then failed to get it rolling in the third set against Zv. I dunno if she's injured or not, but that's not the main thing.

4) Freaks ESPN2 enough to dump pinning hope on the Belgian & declare Princess the USO favorite. LOL! We'll see how that works out for them. That kinda crap is all corporate-political, anyway.

5) I am not EVEN believing Justine. That's gotta be business. Maybe the function of her return proved too obvious, whatever--for some reason, the gimme wasn't good enough to hold her attention.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
mashadabest
#649 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:56:53 PM(UTC)
mashadabest

I can't believe that Serena pulled out!!! [:O] I truly thought she was faking that injury, and turns out she actually is injured gosh!  Anyways now with Serena out, as happy as I am about it, I really hope it's not gonna be like the French Open, with some random player winning the title.  I really hope Maria can play her best tennis and smash everyone off the court and grab the title! [H] Also I think it's time for JJ to step up and be a real contender, this is the perfect opportunity what with Serena pulling out and Henin not being there.  As for Kim, I am not getting a good feeling about her chances, she's not playing well right now, and now she's got an injury (which I am sure she is NOT faking!!!) Anyway I hope for a Maria/JJ or Maria/Kim final. [:)]

Ved - Love the picture of Eminem and Rihanna in your signature, their song is frickin' AWESOME! The video is cool too, and loving Rihanna's red hair! [U]

paul_pipkin
#788 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:21:18 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Philli"]

She will be seeded somwhere in midfield, so dont expect any preferential treatment.  She'll have to take her chances like the rest of other Russians.

[/quote]

I'm sure she's good with that. Masha knew what she was doing--any preferential treatment she may have ever received from Yanks ended for sure when she stepped off that plane onto the soil of Belarus.

Philli
#943 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:35:38 PM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)

Mashadabest, know what I find strange about the 'Serena thing'?  If she really did get a piece of glass in her foot, did it go through the sole of her shoe...or was she barefoot.  If she was wearing shoes it must have been a pretty big piece and she must have really stamped on it.  Also, I'm amazed that she is not suing the restaurant for at least 2 million dollars for potential loss of income due to injury.

This case stinks to high heaven.  Bet she wont play any tournaments until the YEC now, and she'll still have enough points left at the end of the year to still be number 1. 

Maybe the old lady is beginning to fear the competition at her age.  Kim already beat her in the exhibition match after Wimbledon, and there is a whole lot of strong talent out there now. We all know that Serena is a slow starter in a GS.  She cant afford to take the risk of getting knocked out in the early rounds.. Her Ego is bigger than Maria's.

paul_pipkin
#789 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:41:21 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Philli"]

Mashadabest, know what I find strange about the 'Serena thing'?  If she really did get a piece of glass in her foot, did it go through the sole of her shoe...or was she barefoot.  If she was wearing shoes it must have been a pretty big piece and she must have really stamped on it.  Also, I'm amazed that she is not suing the restaurant for at least 2 million dollars for potential loss of income due to injury.

This case stinks to high heaven.  Bet she wont play any tournaments until the YEC now, and she'll still have enough points left at the end of the year to still be number 1. 

Maybe the old lady is beginning to fear the competition at her age.  Kim already beat her in the exhibition match after Wimbledon, and there is a whole lot of strong talent out there now. We all know that Serena is a slow starter in a GS.  She cant afford to take the risk of getting knocked out in the early rounds.. Her Ego is bigger than Maria's.

[/quote]

I've wondered from the get-go: a restaurant or bar with broken glass hazards sounds more like MY kinda place! [H] But not what you'd think the sisters would frequent--at least not at this point in their careers.

Nella
#742 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:31:31 PM(UTC)

[quote user="Nella"][quote user="shelbykay23"]Serena withdraws from the US open :)[/quote] That must have happened in your dreams !  [^o)][/quote] I was so wrong !! Really thought is was a joke !  Serena is out !  The best news of this week.
Liquid
#493 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:31:47 PM(UTC)
Liquid

[quote user="Kjetil"][quote user="Liquid"]

Hey guys, have been lurking in a few tennis forums and according to some, Maria has been training at the Bolletieri academy in preperation for the US Open.[/quote]

Great news. Where did you stumble upon it? 

[/quote] http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=417789&page=5

This is purely hersay though, but good to hear nonentheless

Liquid
#502 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:34:01 PM(UTC)
Liquid

[quote user="Philli"]

Hehehehe, if Maria is in training at Nick's Academy, there was nothing wrong with the heel in the first place..  I would have thought by now that you all would have been able to see through Maria's 'other' game.  As you all know, she hates to lose, but just losing is too ego damaging so there has to be another reason which caused her to lose.  In the case of Cincinnati it was a fake heel injury which, added to the fact that she was totally burned out before the end of the second set and could not close out the match when she had the chance...and she had a lot of them, it just added to the sympathy of her fans who said....aww never mind Maria, we know you deserved to win.

She deserved nothing.  she had her opportunities but didn't have the power to take them.   Tennis is not a charity.  Did you expect Kim to say, never mind Maria, I'll let you win anyway because you played so well in the first set?

And I will forecast now what will happen at the US Open.  I'd even put money on it.  At some time, 3rd or 4th round, when Maria is having a tough match and is one set down, she will take a medical time out in the third set and try to get her breath back and her head together. When she loses the match, she will blame it all on the injury that she claims to have got during the match...or even in the previous match.  In that way, you will all say...She could have won if it wasn't for the darn injury.  Mark my words.... It will happen.

She will be seeded somwhere in midfield, so dont expect any preferential treatment.  She'll have to take her chances like the rest of other Russians.

[/quote] All you guys are crazy lol:

In all probability, it is likely, that Serena wasn't faking, Kim wasn't faking and neither was Maria.

I really don't think tennis players are as machiavellian as some of you guys think they are.

Liquid
#499 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:37:28 PM(UTC)
Liquid

[quote user="dorhut"]Serena will not be playing but we have another Williams playing. Don't rule her out[:)] Maria has to give 120% to win the USO. I've been following her matches since her comeback from injury. She hasn't got what it takes to win a GS. Not yet, anyway. I just love watching her play. She's very tenacious and she has style. Not too keen on the grunting though.[/quote]

Venus hasn't won a slam other than Wimbledon for nine years; I think even Wozniacki has a better chance.[:P]

Nella
#764 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:38:38 PM(UTC)

[quote user="Philli"]

Hehehehe, if Maria is in training at Nick's Academy, there was nothing wrong with the heel in the first place..  I would have thought by now that you all would have been able to see through Maria's 'other' game.  As you all know, she hates to lose, but just losing is too ego damaging so there has to be another reason which caused her to lose.  In the case of Cincinnati it was a fake heel injury which, added to the fact that she was totally burned out before the end of the second set and could not close out the match when she had the chance...and she had a lot of them, it just added to the sympathy of her fans who said....aww never mind Maria, we know you deserved to win.

She deserved nothing.  she had her opportunities but didn't have the power to take them.   Tennis is not a charity.  Did you expect Kim to say, never mind Maria, I'll let you win anyway because you played so well in the first set?

And I will forecast now what will happen at the US Open.  I'd even put money on it.  At some time, 3rd or 4th round, when Maria is having a tough match and is one set down, she will take a medical time out in the third set and try to get her breath back and her head together. When she loses the match, she will blame it all on the injury that she claims to have got during the match...or even in the previous match.  In that way, you will all say...She could have won if it wasn't for the darn injury.  Mark my words.... It will happen.

[/quote] How more negative can you be as a Sharapova fan !!  It's just pathetic.  [:'(]
katmilr
#450 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:47:15 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 64 post(s)

With S out the heavy faves are Maria, Kim, and Venus in that order.

I like Caro, but I agree seeing her seeded #1 is bizarre. She hasn't done anything notable since making it the finals last year.

This is a great chance for Maria to win in NYC and prove she is back.

paul_pipkin
#791 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:55:27 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Liquid"] All you guys are crazy lol:

In all probability, it is likely, that Serena wasn't faking, Kim wasn't faking and neither was Maria.

I really don't think tennis players are as machiavellian as some of you guys think they are.

[/quote]

Up to a point. When it becomes big enough business, then it turns Machiavellian. Masha's injury was quite real but, equally obvious, not terriby serious--had it been serious, she wouldn't have finished the match. Contrary spec is a media "non-news" device.

I'm not saying Kim didn't have a problem, but I question a pattern of curiosities in her recent play BEFORE the injury.

Serena: The sisters' personal circumstances & immediate condition have for years been guarded by American media AND government like a state secret. You can speculate anything because we KNOW nothing.

Justine is all business: Every decision is a business decision before a matter of sport.

Liquid
#503 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:05:11 PM(UTC)
Liquid

[quote user="paul_pipkin"][quote user="Liquid"] All you guys are crazy lol:

[/quote]

Up to a point. When it becomes big enough business, then it turns Machiavellian. Masha's injury was quite real but, equally obvious, not terriby serious--had it been serious, she wouldn't have finished the match. Contrary spec is a media "non-news" device.

I'm not saying Kim didn't have a problem, but I question a pattern of curiosities in her recent play BEFORE the injury.

Serena: The sisters' personal circumstances & immediate condition have for years been guarded by American media AND government like a state secret. You can speculate anything because we KNOW nothing.

Justine is all business: Every decision is a business decision before a matter of sport.

[/quote] I guess, but it is all just speculation and conjecture; none of us can be sure of anything.
dinara :D
#199 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:23:39 PM(UTC)
dinara :D

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)

I truly hope Maria will be ready to bring home the bacon this year at the US Open. And being a contender is a pressure so hopefully, the pressure will not get into her shoulders. So what else can I say, stay healthy, do your best and be the best. Davai! [:)]

And oh, I am not a fan but get well soon Serena! 

giane
#308 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:16:29 PM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
[quote user="fking_crazy"]

What if another underdog wins the US ala Schiavone?

[/quote]

oh no! please.. noooooooooooo man! [:S]

paul_pipkin
#897 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:25:16 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

I've noticed in Montréal press, Princess trying to distance herself from the media-generated "favorite" talk. [Y] This is good--apparently she and Piotr, maybe mostly him, understand that crap is a double-edged sword.
deadchip
#193 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:46:13 PM(UTC)
deadchip

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)

Yup that was the headline here on Friday I believe, though the actual comments are a bit more nebulous than the headline. I have to say that Caroline is playing the most consistent tennis of everyone I've watched this week, though I didn't see her Snyder match and that was closer than I'd expected!

I think Maria has a decent shot at this year's USO. She's made it to the finals in her 2 hardcourt tourneys and was only beaten by the best in the 2 grand slams. The day between matches will be a big help for her too.

Masha is my #1!!
yvonne08
#1328 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2010 1:17:33 AM(UTC)
yvonne08

[quote user="giane"][quote user="fking_crazy"]

What if another underdog wins the US ala Schiavone?

[/quote]

oh no! please.. noooooooooooo man! [:S]

[/quote]

Believe it or not, it's possible! :(( But I'm pretty sure Sharapova will wiped everything in her draw. :D

fking_crazy
#224 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:30:52 AM(UTC)
fking_crazy

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
[quote user="Philli"]

[/quote]

The old lady doesn't fear anyone nor any competition. The old lady thinks she's quite done with tennis, she's got enough $$$ now to risk her ass on a tennis court. She can stay away 6 months and still be #1.