logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

14 Pages«<678910>»
Vera Zvonareva
CROUCHING TIGER
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 8:17:02 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 2870 time(s) in 1723 post(s)
My money on Vera!! She's playin' better and more consistent the last tournaments. Go girl[U]

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
Dartagnan
#64 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 8:51:17 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

[quote user="CROUCHING TIGER"]My money on Vera!! She's playin' better and more consistent the last tournaments. Go girl[U]
[/quote]

Vera destroyed Na Li at this tournament. She reached the final; I think this time she has a great chance to have this title.

GO VERA!!!!

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Dartagnan
#65 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 9:37:42 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

[quote user="Dartagnan"]

[quote user="CROUCHING TIGER"]My money on Vera!! She's playin' better and more consistent the last tournaments. Go girl[U]
[/quote]

Vera destroyed Na Li at this tournament. She reached the final; I think this time she has a great chance to have this title.

GO VERA!!!!

[/quote]

Vera Zvonareva. Photo: RIA Novosti

Russia's Vera Zvonareva has advanced to the final round of a WTA tennis tournament now underway in Beijing.

In the first semi-final match on Saturday Zvonareva made easy work of the home favorite Li Na, 6-3, 6-3.

Zvonareva's
opponent in the finals will be 
Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki.

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

nazarik
#109 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 5:27:45 PM(UTC)
nazarik

Good luck in the final,Vera!!! Vperyod,k pobede!!!
giane
#95 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 9:27:02 PM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
[quote user="Dartagnan"]

[/quote]

GO VERA!!!!

[/quote]

yeah.. right pipz.. she's doing great in this tourney! glad to have her in the finals.. oslo! go Vera! Davai! :D

giane
#96 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 4:31:59 AM(UTC)
giane

Press Conferences Collection

Dartagnan
#66 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:38:44 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

[quote user="giane"]

[/quote]

Beautifull pictures. Thanks Giane.

giane
#97 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 8:46:48 PM(UTC)
giane

[quote user="Dartagnan"][quote user="giane"]

[/quote]

Beautifull pictures. Thanks Giane.

[/quote]

y,welcome Dart! looking forward for her winning pics! [;)]

shrapi
#158 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 1:52:21 AM(UTC)
shrapi

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good luck Vera for the final.

Hope You can win.

giane
#98 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 9:50:41 PM(UTC)
giane

from her official fb account:

Vera Zvonareva
Lost
a tough match to Caroline in the final tonight. She played well and
congratulations to her. Flying back to Moscow tomorrow and going to
take a few days to rest before getting ready for the Kremlin Cup.
Thanks to all the fans in Beijing for the support this week! See you
all next year.

paul_pipkin
#143 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 10:03:23 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1881 time(s) in 1250 post(s)
[quote user="giane"]

Vera Zvonareva Lost a tough match to Caroline in the final tonight. She played well and congratulations to her. Flying back to Moscow tomorrow and going to take a few days to rest before getting ready for the Kremlin Cup. Thanks to all the fans in Beijing for the support this week! See you all next year.

[/quote]

So she's definitely gonna play KC AND YEC. Okay. Gotta assume she knows what she needs. Thanx for the post.

Davaiii, Verochka!!! [H]

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Dartagnan
#67 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:47:05 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

[quote user="paul_pipkin"][quote user="giane"]

Vera Zvonareva Lost a tough match to Caroline in the final tonight. She played well and congratulations to her. Flying back to Moscow tomorrow and going to take a few days to rest before getting ready for the Kremlin Cup. Thanks to all the fans in Beijing for the support this week! See you all next year.

[/quote]

So she's definitely gonna play KC AND YEC. Okay. Gotta assume she knows what she needs. Thanx for the post.

Davaiii, Verochka!!! [H]

[/quote]

I think she still has a band aid on her left leg.

Vera has a chance to win the KC. She played very good tennis the last months.  

paul_pipkin
#144 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 1:54:14 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Zvonareva Ascends To No.2 -- WTA Craps Pants

October 25, 2010

Vera Zvonareva has become the fifth Russian to crack the Top 2, ascending from No.3 to No.2 after last year's WTA Championships points fell off.

Zvonareva, who had set new career-highs of No.4 and No.3 over the last few months, joins Anastasia Myskina, Maria Sharapova, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Dinara Safina amongst the Russians to break the world's Top 2.

Zvonareva maintains her focus on tennis: "I don't really think about statistics. If I do my best on the court all the time and I'm able to prepare myself to go out there and perform my best, the results and all the rankings will come. I'm just trying to concentrate on my game, trying to improve all the time. Every time I'm out there I'm challenging myself. That's the most important thing for me."

I posted this on the ratings thread but figured it belonged here as well. I REALLY do NOT think they anticipated the rise of Vera. They figured to target Dementieva & get all Russians outta the top ten. Instead, they got THIS! LOL!

Vera plays first Tuesday at Doha against JJ. See Live Streams, YEC threads.

dinara :D
#79 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 11:20:58 PM(UTC)
dinara :D

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
shrapi
#159 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:38:19 AM(UTC)
shrapi

Zvonareva could overtake Wozniacki for No. 1 in Doha

AP - Monday, October 25, 2010

DOHA, Qatar (AP)—Just weeks after becoming the top-ranked women’s tennis player Caroline Wozniacki will have to fight to keep that title at the WTA Championships in Doha.

The 20-year-old Dane won’t face a challenge from injured Serena Williams, who she replaced as No. 1, or Williams’ sister Venus, who is also hurt. But she will have to fend off Vera Zvonareva of Russia, the world’s second-ranked player, who she beat in a tough three-set match earlier this month at the China Open.

The eight-player tournament starts Tuesday with a round-robin group stage, with the top two players from each group advancing to the semifinals.

Wozniacki and Zvonareva are in different groups but could potentially face each other in the knockout rounds.

Wimbledon and U.S. Open runner-up Zvonareva faces an uphill battle to wrestle the top spot from Wozniacki, however. She must win all three matches in the group stage and then make it to the final, while all Wozniacki has to do is win two of her round robin matches to retain her ranking.

If Zvonareva loses a match in the round robin, Wozniacki would then only need to win one of hers.

Wozniacki said she wasn’t phased by the prospect of losing her No. 1 ranking so quickly, insisting she is approaching this tournament like any other this year. It is easy to see why. She has won more titles—six—and more matches— 59—than any player in 2010.

“To be honest, for me it’s the same. I go into a tournament and I always want to win it,” Wozniacki said. “Of course, now I’m the player to beat. You know, it’s just a nice feeling. It’s nice to know that I’ve done so good that I’m the No. 1 player in the world. That’s a fantastic feeling.”

It was at this tournament last year that then-No. 1 Dinara Safina was overtaken by Serena Williams after she tearfully withdrew because of a serious back injury. Safina’s short-lived tenure at the top was marked by controversy over the fact that she hadn’t won a major—a similar dilemma facing Wozniacki.

But on Monday, all the players asked at the WTA Championship said Wozniacki was a deserving choice for No. 1 because she has performed the best this year.

“I think what Caroline has done is a great achievement. I think for every player who becomes No. 1 in the world it’s a dream come true,” said Jelena Jankovic, who also is in the tournament. “She really played, you know, well. She played very consistently throughout the year. I think in this moment she deserves to be No. 1, and the ranking shows.”

Wozniacki insisted her lack of Grand Slams—something she believes will come in time—shouldn’t deny her the right at the top spot.

“I think I deserve it,” she said. “I think I’ve had a fantastic season. I’ve won the most matches this year, the most tournaments … I believe I belong at the top of the women’s game and I’m a good player.”

Zvonareva said she has dreamed since childhood of one day becoming No. 1, but also insisted she wasn’t a player who spends a lot of time worrying about statistics and rankings.

“I’m just trying my best. I know that tennis is a tough game, but I’m enjoying it,” she said. “I know if I do my best on the court all the time and I’m able to prepare myself … to go out there and perform my best, the results and the rankings will come.”

While much of the attention will be on the top two players, several others at the tournament could play a role in deciding who finishes it as No. 1.

Reigning U.S. Open champion Kim Clijsters, who missed last month’s China Open with an infected foot, is back and said “physically I feel fine.”

The fourth-ranked Clijsters has a 6-2 record against Zvonareva, who she will face in the group stage, including a one-sided 6-2, 6-1 victory in this year’s U.S. Open final.

Samantha Stosur is also a threat, following her breakout year in which she became the first Australian woman to reach a Grand Slam final since 1980. Stosur lost the French Open final to Francesca Schiavone of Italy, who is also playing in Doha.

Jankovic of Serbia and Elena Dementieva of Russia are the two players coming into the tournament with doubts over their form.

The eighth-ranked Jankovic was beaten at this month’s Kremlin Cup by No. 248 Zarina Diyas and said she has struggled for much of the year with injuries— including ankle, back and, more recently, sinus problems.

“To be honest, I’m not really playing my best tennis,” Jankovic said. “I think anything can happen. I just want to try and fight hard. We’ll see how things go for me.”

Dementieva, who retired at this month’s Luxembourg Open, said she also has had ankle problems of late but added that with several days of rest and physiotherapy she was feeling better.

Victoria Azarenka of Belarus rounds out the eight-player field.

shrapi
#160 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:38:26 AM(UTC)
shrapi

Isn't it great news ?

Vera can be the number one !!!

( Please Vera, take it from Caroline )

Good luck !!!

shrapi
#161 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:40:26 AM(UTC)
shrapi

With this news I will enjoy the YEC !!!

fking_crazy
#80 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:24:51 AM(UTC)
fking_crazy

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Quote:
Wimbledon and U.S. Open runner-up Zvonareva faces an uphill battle to wrestle the top spot from Wozniacki, however. She must win all three matches in the group stage and then make it to the final, while all Wozniacki has to do is win two of her round robin matches to retain her ranking.
If Zvonareva loses a match in the round robin, Wozniacki would then only need to win one of hers.

It's sad but I wound't bet on Vera. Woz will stay number1 until at least the AO.

Quote:
“To be honest, for me it’s the same. I go into a tournament and I always want to win it,” Wozniacki said. “Of course, now I’m the player to beat. You know, it’s just a nice feeling. It’s nice to know that I’ve done so good that I’m the No. 1 player in the world. That’s a fantastic feeling.”

“I think I deserve it,” she said. “I think I’ve had a fantastic season. I’ve won the most matches this year, the most tournaments … I believe I belong at the top of the women’s game and I’m a good player.”

Is there no one to shut this arrogant chick up?

Quote:
“I think what Caroline has done is a great achievement. I think for every player who becomes No. 1 in the world it’s a dream come true,” said Jelena Jankovic, who also is in the tournament. “She really played, you know, well. She played very consistently throughout the year. I think in this moment she deserves to be No. 1, and the ranking shows.”

From Jankovic, it's quite normal. She still doesn't know how to overwhelm Woz's hard pushing. Anyway she couldn't say anything else since she was another slamless #1.

Quote:
Wozniacki insisted her lack of Grand Slams—something she believes will come in time—shouldn’t deny her the right at the top spot.

Dreaming is not prohibited.

paul_pipkin
#145 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:26:27 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Vera def JJ 63 60 in 1:20. [Y] Let herself get a little sloppy or it would have been less than an hour but, at the level she was facing today, ikt didn't matter.

I don't care about the #1 or even if she necessarily wins YEC--though I want her to continue to do well at Doha. At this moment, Vera has, quite rightfully, become the top Russian & deserves our full support.

My b!tch for the day: Western sh!t-talkers claming she "wants to work for UNESCO". No she doesn't. Vera is a member of a Foreign Ministry commisson that DEALS with UNESCO affairs. She WANTS to work in the Russian foreign service.

You see how the commentariat operates?

This is pure Vera. What is that silver pin on her pocket? Looks like a moose, lol.

shrapi
#162 Posted : Sunday, October 31, 2010 6:47:53 AM(UTC)
shrapi

Sorry for the loss against Woz.

Couldn't see it but the result looks strange

7:5

6:0