logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

47 Pages<12345>»
DINARA SAFINA
midaso
#705 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 2:09:02 AM(UTC)
midaso

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)

I was disappointed she folded against Ivanovic in the final of the French last year - I thought it was a bit of an anticlimax after her great run...

She might be in with a good chance this year though...

paul_pipkin
#737 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 4:27:52 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)
Maybe so. But, now look... I don't see Dinara on the player list at Charleston.

http://www.familycirclec...cles/20090123164434.html

She only reached third round last year so, like the Amelia Island points, she doesn't drop a huge number. But I assumed she would play. [:^)]

Whoa, check it out! See bottom line--WTA says Safina will take number 1. They saying Serena won't play Charleston either? Stick out tongue (It was announced today that Azarenka has withdrawn with a shoulder inflammation.)

April 8, 2009

Klara Reigns in Spain, At Least For a Day

MARBELLA, Spain - Serena Williams' time as the queen of Spain, or at least the Andalucía Tennis Experience, came to an abrupt end in the first round on Wednesday, when the world No.1 fell to 95th-ranked Klara Zakopalova of the Czech Republic. The tournament's No.3 seed Kaia Kanepi was untroubled, though, pocketing the only other first round match still left to play after Tuesday.

Before today, Zakopalova's best win had been over a Monica Seles ranked No.7, way back in 2003. Since then there had been three more Top 20 wins, but no further victories over a Top 10 player. Making today's result even more surprising was the fact that before this week, the 27-year-old had won just two matches all season. Williams had also won both the pair's previous encounters in straight sets.

But the American came to southern Spain after a grueling week in Miami, which culminated in a tough finals loss to Victoria Azarenka. And, while she barely scrapes into the Top 100 at present, Zakopalova is not without claycourt chops. In 2006 she was ranked as high as No.27 and although her two Tour titles have come on grass (at s'Hertogenbosch in 2005) and hardcourts (at Portoroz later the same year), clay is her nominated favorite surface; her many solid results on red dirt include a runner-up finish to Flavia Pennetta at Viña del Mar last year.

In any case, on her way to winning 64 36 61, Zakopalova converted seven break points, while the reigning US Open and Australian Open champion won fewer than half her service points. Having opened up her section of the draw, Zakopalova now faces fellow-Czech Renata Voracova in the second round, while Williams will relinquish the No.1 ranking to Russia's Dinara Safina on April 20.

http://www.sonyericssonw.../stories/?ContentID=3139

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
paul_pipkin
#738 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 6:29:50 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Yes, it is true. [H]

April 8, 2009

Dinara Safina

Safina To Rise To No.1 on New Singles Rankings

ST. PETERSBURG, FL, USA - Dinara Safina will be the new No.1 when the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Rankings are released Monday, April 20, replacing Serena Williams, who will have held the spot for 11 straight weeks (72 total). She will be the second Russian to assume the top spot, after Maria Sharapova (who held it for 17 weeks). She is also part of the first ever brother-sister world No.1 pair, her brother Marat Safin having ranked No.1 on the ATP World Tour previously.

Safina will be the 19th No.1 ever, after Chris Evert, Evonne Goolagong, Martina Navratilova, Tracy Austin, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario, Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, Venus Williams, Serena Williams, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin, Amélie Mauresmo, Sharapova, Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic.

"It's a great honor to reach the No.1 ranking and it is a dream every girl who has ever wanted to play professional tennis shares," the 22-year-old said. "It is even extra special for me since my brother Marat was able to reach the No.1 ranking and I am happy to share this achievement with him. There's no question that while I am very proud of my results over the past year, I would have liked to reach this achievement in a different manner. I hope to prove to everyone over the coming months that I merit the honor of being world No.1."

"On the heels of her breakthrough 2008 season, it's great to see Dinara's hard work, determination and strong results will be rewarded with the No.1 ranking," said the Tour's Chairman & CEO, Larry Scott. "Reaching No.1 is an amazing accomplishment for Dinara and I am sure that we'll continue to witness many more great achievements by her."

Aldo Liguori, Sony Ericsson Corporate VP and Head of Global Communications & PR, said: "We congratulate Dinara on soon becoming the new Sony Ericsson WTA Tour No.1 and look forward to following and celebrating her future successes."

Safina has won four Tour titles over the last 12 months: the Qatar Telecom German Open in Berlin (last May), the East West Bank Classic in Los Angeles and the Rogers Cup in Montréal (last summer) and the Toray Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo (last fall). She has also finished runner-up five times, twice on the Grand Slam stage: Roland Garros last year (falling to Ana Ivanovic in the final) and the Australian Open this year (falling to Serena Williams). Last year she also became the first player ever to beat three different reigning world No.1s in the same season (Henin, Sharapova, Jankovic). The Russian's ranking vaulted from No.17 to No.2 last year, bringing her the Tour's Most Improved Player Award for 2008.

Click here to look at this week's rankings; click here for a chart detailing how many weeks each world No.1 has been on top.

src="http://web0.1a-7239.antagus.de/WTA/VOD_NEW/flash/player_embed_2.swf?movie=rtmp://flv.world.mii-streaming.net/ucom/flash/21102008_Stuttgart_SafinaQA.flv&screenshot=http://web0.1a-7239.antagus.de/WTA/VOD_NEW/screenshots_big/2_Safina.jpg&autoplay=false&videourl=529"
wmode="" quality="high" menu="false"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="undefined"
height="undefined">

http://www.sonyericssonw.../stories/?ContentID=3140

dinara :D
#53 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:20:40 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)

oh! thanks for the wonderful information! she's the second russian tennis player to be number one (after maria sharapova)! it was really great! yes, she will not be playing for fed cup i think. she said in one of her interviews that she needs to rest and prepare for the clay season. her schedule is in her website www.dsafina.com

it was an advance birthday present to her.

Be the best and God bless Dina!

#187 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:25:33 PM(UTC)

by the way, i would like to congratulate also maria sharapova, though it's late, for being the world's no.1 in 17 weeks. she's really a legend!

CONGRATS AGAIN TO DINARA SAFINA!

BE THE BEST AND GOD BLESS!

#188 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:30:39 PM(UTC)

me too, midasco! she must get tired during the tournament because it wasn't easy beating up players like masha, you know. but above all that, she's remarkable when she beat top rank players.

i believe she has great chances this time.

BE THE BEST AND GOD BLESS DINA!

paul_pipkin
#739 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:43:52 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="dinara :D"]

oh! thanks for the wonderful information! she's the second russian tennis player to be number one (after maria sharapova)! it was really great! yes, she will not be playing for fed cup i think. she said in one of her interviews that she needs to rest and prepare for the clay season. her schedule is in her website www.dsafina.com

it was an advance birthday present to her.

Be the best and God bless Dina!

[/quote]

Yeah, let's put Dinara's schedule here:

Date

Event

Surface

2009-04-27

Porsche Tennis Grand Prix

Stuttgart

Red Clay/Indoors

2009-05-04

Internazionali BNL d'Italia

Rome

Red Clay/Outdoors

2009-05-11

Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open

Madrid

Red Clay/Outdoors

2009-05-25

Roland Garros

Paris

Red Clay/Outdoors

2009-06-15

Ordina Open

's-Hertogenbosch

Grass/Outdoors

Fed Cup captain Shamil Tarpischev has several times recognized his girls' WTA obligations and their situations in the competition for rankings. Recently, in a Novosti interview that's not easy to translate, he said that the top girls themselves have pretty much decided which ties each of them will play.

We'll follow the Castellaneta semifinal on the Fed Cup thread in "Other Tournaments". [H]

#54 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 8:00:07 PM(UTC)

ah okay! thanks so much for the information! by the way, in an interview, Safina said she wants to prove to everyone that she deserves being world's no.1

i think she's now developing her hungriness in tennis once more.

shrapova_nole
#890 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 8:07:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Congrats for the new no1!!!! :))))
paul_pipkin
#740 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 9:33:49 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Translated from sportbox.ru:

Now Safina must begin to play more confidently, says Tarpischev

The President of the Russian tennis federation, Shamil Tarpishchev, considers that Dinara Safina, now first racket, must feel more at ease and begin to play more confidently.

"After last year's Fed Cup tie in Israel, where Dinara played not very successfully, the change of coach and her entire team affected results on the positive side. Well, of course, one cannot fail to say good words regarding her mom Rauza Islanova. Specifically, because of her sufficiently rigid training, Dinara has--in a good sense of the word--an obstinate nature, which makes it possible for her to remain fanatically devoted to tennis and to work disregarding whatever--sometimes even more than is necessary. Diligence, as the saying goes, 'higher than roof'. Safina's success is deserved. I hope it will not be limited to several weeks, and hope at year's end, our tennis players will occupy all three top places in the ratings."

How soon on court will return that victorious Safina we saw in the past year?

"Responsibility now lies heavy on her, but she must be at ease to act according to her own thinking. She's already become the first, and now it is necessary simply to demonstrate her game. Moreover, I will emphasize: Dinara still has work to do, since now she doesn't use the entire tennis arsenal."

Let us recall that Safina will officially head the WTA ratings on April 20.

On April 10, 2009, 11:33

#186 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 9:34:28 PM(UTC)

yeah. Congrats to Dinara Safina! I know that she'll be back to prove everyone she deserves it! What do you think?

Who do you think have advantage in Clay Season?

#55 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 9:42:04 PM(UTC)

again, Paul, thanks so much for the information! still, a lot of pressures around Safina these days! I know Safina will prove it to everyone that she deserves it. For me, being no.1 is not about winning slams. It is about hard works, determination, having faith and perseverance!

That make a player/person no.1! right?

paul_pipkin
#741 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 10:42:46 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Right. [H]

Clay: Last year somebody posted a ranking of WTA players based on their clay court record. I don't remember where that was from.

There is no question Spaniards & Italians rank higher in clay than overall. French less so, though Mauresmo & young Cornet are certainly competent. (Not as much clay-court action in France as people imagine looking at Roland Garros.) And a few Latin Americans, of course. I imagine Portugal's Larcher de Brito can give a good account on clay.

Russians excell on slow courts generally, including the clay. Masha is probably the least clay-savvy of the top Russian players. Kuznetsova may have all kinds of problems but she's still an excellent clay court player. Though not so much as Kuzi, Dinara has put in a lotta time training in Spain and the intense clay schedule she's laid out says she's making a hard drive for Roland Garros.

The Serbs are strong on clay. Problems Ivanovic & Jankovic have lately aren't related to clay but may affect their performance there as well.

Some of the East European youngsters who have hit the scene over the last several months may have clay expertise we don't know about yet.

#56 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 12:27:03 AM(UTC)

oh i see! thanks again for the information! seems like you are really interested in tennis. you know a lot of details. you have a lot of sources that you came up with lots of research. oh well, thanks again!

who among the WTA players is good on clay? they said that rallies are long in clay. it seems tiring playing in clay. 

#57 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:01:39 AM(UTC)

which is more exciting and interesting to watch? clay season or hard court season?
shrapova_nole
#891 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:05:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

well...in my opinion the hard one :D

You know hard surface is more faster than clay surface so is more action on hard I think. :))))))

#58 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2009 11:25:31 PM(UTC)

ah okay. they said that rallies are long in clay. but i seems to get bored in hard courts. because it's the longest season than clay and grass. oh well, you are right though. more action on the hard one.

what's your most favorite grand slam?

butterflywings
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:08:26 AM(UTC)
butterflywings

I have to say I like clay and the clay season better. Maybe because I play on clay as well. But I have always liked to follow as much as possible of the clay season, in my opinion clay offers a lot more interesting matches than hard court does. Also clay is a surface where a complete player can succeed because unlike the hard courts where all you need to know is serve aces, hit hard and score winners, clay demands from the player a lot more qualities. Players have to show their defensive skills, a good physical endurance, patience, ability to slide and think smart when constructing a rally.

And about my favourite Grand Slam, I have 2 of them: Wimbeldon and Roland Garros. The second one because it's played on clay [:P] (and Rafa wins it all the time) and the first one because it's everything so special and classic about it, it's just different than the other slams.

loMASHAlo
#668 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:17:39 AM(UTC)
loMASHAlo

[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

Right. [H]

Clay: Last year somebody posted a ranking of WTA players based on their clay court record. I don't remember where that was from.

[/quote]

here it is

WTA Tour - Claycourt Rankings: Maria moves

Eurosport - Tue, 15 Apr 09:20:00 2008

EXCLUSIVE! Maria Sharapova is moving on up into a virtual tie for third in our weekly claycourt world rankings after winning her first ever WTA clay crown.

The Australian Open champion dominated the opposition at last week's Amelia Island tournament to add a maiden claycourt trophy to her already illustrious career.

World number two Ana Ivanovic, meanwhile, drops to level with Sharapova and Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova on points for failing to defend her semi-final point at Amelia Island.

But the Serbian starlet retains the number three position in the ranking based on the tie-breaker of world ranking position.

Last year's Amelia Island winner Tatiana Golovin drops out of the top 15 for failing to defend her points, as does 2007 runner-up Nadia Petrova.

There could be some major movement in next week's rankings as number two Jelena Jankovic has a Tier I title to defend in Charleston, South Carolina and number six Flavia Pennetta is defending a minor crown in Estoril.

2008 Claycourt Rankings - WTA world ranking in brackets

1. [1] Justine Henin (BEL) 22 points - Even

2. [5] Jelena Jankovic (SRB) 16 - Even

3. [2] Ana Ivanovic (SRB) 11 - Even

4. [3] Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 11 - Even

5. [4] Maria Sharapova (RUS) 11 - Up two

6. [27] Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 7 - Down one

7. [16] Dinara Safina (RUS) 6 - Down one

8. [8] Elena Dementieva (RUS) 5 - Up one

9. [9] Serena Williams (USA) 5 - Down one

10. [33] Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) 5 - Up one

11. [7] Venus Williams (USA) 4 - Up one

12. [13] Ágnes Szávay (HUN) 4 - Up one

13. [15] Nicole Vaidisova (CZE) 4 - Up one

14. [73] Nuria Llagostera Vives (ESP) 4 - Up two

15. [11] Marion Bartoli (FRA) 3 - Up two

FORMULA:

10 winner; 6 runner-up; 4 semi-finalist; 2 quarter-finalist: 2007 French Open

5 winner; 3 runner-up; 2 semi-finalist; 1 quarter-finalist: Charleston, Berlin, Rome, 2006 French Open

3 winner; 2 runner-up; 1 semi-finalist: Vina del Mar, Bogota, Acapulco, Amelia Island, Estoril, Fes, Prague, Istanbul, Strasbourg, Bad Gastein, Barcelona, Budapest, Palermo, 2005 French Open

#59 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:00:11 PM(UTC)

i haven't watch any clay matches. hahaha. :D i always watch the hard court matches. but this time i will be able to watch clay matches. yeey! i can compare the two later this year. thanks for sharing your opinion butterflywings. so far, my favorite grand slam is the australian open. 

loMASHAlo, thanks for the information! i appreciate it!

by the way is Masha will be playing on stuttgart? just asking. thanks for the answers!
is Dina will be playing on Fed Cup?