logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages<1234>»
tennis women actual ranking
paul_pipkin
#83 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 6:43:04 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)

Yes, it is true. [H]

April 8, 2009

Dinara Safina

Safina To Rise To No.1 on New Singles Rankings

ST. PETERSBURG, FL, USA - Dinara Safina will be the new No.1 when the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Rankings are released Monday, April 20, replacing Serena Williams, who will have held the spot for 11 straight weeks (72 total). She will be the second Russian to assume the top spot, after Maria Sharapova (who held it for 17 weeks). She is also part of the first ever brother-sister world No.1 pair, her brother Marat Safin having ranked No.1 on the ATP World Tour previously.

For more story, see:

http://www.sonyericssonw.../stories/?ContentID=3140

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Imnumber2
#33 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 7:25:49 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

As much as I like Safina, she does not deserve to be #1. The system is all F..up!

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
ved_mariafan
#166 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 8:59:54 PM(UTC)
ved_mariafan

hot f.uck!! she doesnt deserve that spot one bit, i actually think jankovic preferred it more last year than safina now!! i hate this! this ranking thing sux, what good has safina done after her aussie open final this year!!?? serena( i dont like her but) deserve that more than any1 rite now!! shїt!
mammcmillan
#47 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 9:05:02 PM(UTC)
mammcmillan

We all just neeed to hope that Maria will play in May she can beat all of thoughs women!!! 

paul_pipkin
#84 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:26:17 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Let's be fair. Dinara went on to say, "There's no question that while I am very proud of my results over the past year, I would have liked to reach this achievement in a different manner. I hope to prove to everyone over the coming months that I merit the honor of being world No.1."

She recognizes that she didn't win it--others lost it. Serena & Jelena slipped--simple as that. There's nothing wrong with the system. It's just math. Safina did not move up (in fact, she'll lose a few expiring points from the old Amelia Island and may not even play Charleston.)

But she knows that. If she works hard to prove she deserves it, she probably will. Personally, I don't see much magic in number one per se. Anywhere in the top eight or ten is the same elite as I see it. [H]

lucas92
#45 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:56:46 PM(UTC)
lucas92

Maria will be 53 I think.

But who cares, really.

paul_pipkin
#85 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 11:19:05 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="lucas92"]

Maria will be 53 I think.

But who cares, really.

[/quote]

Gotcha. Tati Golovin has been out so long she has almost no points left & is ranked 801. Yet she's still as wildly popular among her fans as ever. Masha doesn't need "fair weather friends". No one does.

midaso
#60 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2009 11:53:51 PM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)

Anyone follow the men's ranking points? Why is it that in men's tennis,the top 2 or 3 players can build up such an insurmountable lead that no one has any chance of catching of them up for months and months as opposed to women's tennis,where it changes a lot more often...

If you look at the #1s in the last year or so,none of them have played particularly great after gaining that #1 ranking...

paul_pipkin
#86 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:46:30 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Maybe 'cause it's no longer Justine across the net...? [;)]
loMASHAlo
#42 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 4:40:46 PM(UTC)
loMASHAlo

evrey month we have a new # 1 but now it's really worse, Safina dosen't deserve it.

Imnumber2
#34 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 6:26:19 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

it's absolutely crazy to see such a poor quality player taking #1 spot. It's like the system has no value any more. The tennis quality has gone down hill.

Kim, Justine and Maria should come back soon.

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
paul_pipkin
#87 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 8:48:02 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Here is how this works. (Translated from eurosport.ru:)

In one-and-a-half weeks (Williams) will be deprived of 860 points, which she earned (last year) for the victory at the Family Circle Cup in Chaleston (then still a Tier I category, and now the category of Premier), reports Gotennis.ru. Even if she repeats there last year's success, Williams will be able to protect only 470 points--in connection with the changes in the WTA Tour calendar the status of competition in Charleston was lowered.

In the case of success at Family Circle Cup-2009, Serena will have a maximum of 8742 points. Concerning Dinara Safina, in Charleston she has nothing to protect. At the moment, she has 8951 points. (Actually, I think she drops a few old Amelia Island points, but not enough to matter--or maybe those are discounted already.)

So, even though it's a Premier event, the point-value of Charleston is less than it was last year.

Philli
#141 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 3:18:40 AM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)

Strange how last year when Justine suddenly retired and Maria took over as number one...you all said she deserved it.  Did she hell. Two weeks later she lost it after that disgraceful performance at RG.  Boo hoo...remember.

I will tell you, here and now, Maria will quit long before she ever gets back in the Top Ten.... Mark my words.

Nella
#75 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 10:06:15 AM(UTC)

It's time for some tennis action !!  Enough shoots, doctor visits, practice !  Expect Maria to start playing tournaments again, otherwise .....????

Guess who will be in Rome in May ??!!

mashadabest
#58 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 10:10:56 AM(UTC)
mashadabest

[quote user="ved_mariafan"]hot f.uck!! she doesnt deserve that spot one bit, i actually think jankovic preferred it more last year than safina now!! i hate this! this ranking thing sux, what good has safina done after her aussie open final this year!!?? serena( i dont like her but) deserve that more than any1 rite now!! shїt![/quote]

Pretty much what I was gonna say.  Now as a Jelena Jankovic fan, I can't say that Safina doesn't deserve the number 1 spot cos she hasn't won a slam yet, cos that was the same with JJ.  However, even though Safina did play really well last year and she did get to the final of the Aussie Open, since then I don't think she's played that well, and I don't think she deserves it at all.  Hopefully Serena can take the number 1 spot back (even though I hate her), or even better JJ.

lucas92
#46 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 3:35:40 PM(UTC)
lucas92

[quote user="Philli"]

Strange how last year when Justine suddenly retired and Maria took over as number one...you all said she deserved it.  Did she hell. Two weeks later she lost it after that disgraceful performance at RG.  Boo hoo...remember.

I will tell you, here and now, Maria will quit long before she ever gets back in the Top Ten.... Mark my words.

[/quote]

Hilarious as always.
ved_mariafan
#167 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 3:52:23 PM(UTC)
ved_mariafan

[quote user="lucas92"][quote user="Philli"]

[/quote] Hilarious as always.[/quote]

philli smart-ass dont you remember that maria won the aussie open last year and was on a 25-2 run when she got that no.1 ranking last year and she's a multi grandslam champ!!?? and safina; no grandslams and she has not played good at all this year, i hav no idea how she got to the final in australia bcuz she was playing crap all the tourney!!

so maria deserved that ranking..............biŧch

paul_pipkin
#88 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 9:32:24 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Translated from sportbox.ru:

Now Safina must begin to play more confidently, says Tarpischev

The President of the Russian tennis federation, Shamil Tarpishchev, considers that Dinara Safina, now first racket, must feel more at ease and begin to play more confidently.

"After last year's Fed Cup tie in Israel, where Dinara played not very successfully, the change of coach and her entire team affected results on the positive side. Well, of course, one cannot fail to say good words regarding her mom Rauza Islanova. Specifically, because of her sufficiently rigid training, Dinara has--in a good sense of the word--an obstinate nature, which makes it possible for her to remain fanatically devoted to tennis and to work disregarding whatever--sometimes even more than is necessary. Diligence, as the saying goes, 'higher than roof'. Safina's success is deserved. I hope it will not be limited to several weeks, and hope at year's end, our tennis players will occupy all three top places in the ratings."

How soon on court will return that victorious Safina we saw in the past year?

"Responsibility now lies heavy on her, but she must be at ease to act according to her own thinking. She's already become the first, and now it is necessary simply to demonstrate her game. Moreover, I will emphasize: Dinara still has work to do, since now she doesn't use the entire tennis arsenal."

Let us recall that Safina will officially head the WTA ratings on April 20.

On April 10, 2009, 11:33

Philli
#142 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:18:56 AM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)

ved_mariafan  look at the facts.. Maria said herself that she had been in pain with her shoulder DAY and NIGHT for almost a year with her shoulder and was taking great doses of cortisone to kill the pain.  I am telling you, that not only was she pumped up with cortisone but other pain killing drugs as well...AND THAT is why she performed...like she'd NEVER EVER performed before at the AO, and Doha.  After that, she was burned out and missed The SE champs and needed time to recover.

She knew how bad she was injured but she had a duty to her sponsors to perform.  Do you think she would have got the Tiffany contract if she had pulled out of Tennis before the French Open?  Sponsors dont buy into lame ducks.

Her pathetic performances, ducking out of Rome before the Semis, crashing at RG and bombing at Wimbledon were signs to all of us...and her, that the end was in sight and she couldn't hide the truth any longer. 

I have no sympathy for her whatsoever...She brought this on herself by her own lust for money and sponsorship exposure.  All that crap about saying she had no idea how badly she was injured is pure bullshit.  She knew alright.  By saying she was in pain day and night all the time was an admission that she had been lying to everybody for so long.

Just wait, her comeback to her comeback will be just as big a flop as her doubles shambles.

Nella
#65 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:42:11 AM(UTC)

[quote user="Philli"]

ved_mariafan  look at the facts.. Maria said herself that she had been in pain with her shoulder DAY and NIGHT for almost a year with her shoulder and was taking great doses of cortisone to kill the pain.  I am telling you, that not only was she pumped up with cortisone but other pain killing drugs as well...AND THAT is why she performed...like she'd NEVER EVER performed before at the AO, and Doha.  After that, she was burned out and missed The SE champs and needed time to recover.

She knew how bad she was injured but she had a duty to her sponsors to perform.  Do you think she would have got the Tiffany contract if she had pulled out of Tennis before the French Open?  Sponsors dont buy into lame ducks.

Her pathetic performances, ducking out of Rome before the Semis, crashing at RG and bombing at Wimbledon were signs to all of us...and her, that the end was in sight and she couldn't hide the truth any longer. 

I have no sympathy for her whatsoever...She brought this on herself by her own lust for money and sponsorship exposure.  All that crap about saying she had no idea how badly she was injured is pure bullshit.  She knew alright.  By saying she was in pain day and night all the time was an admission that she had been lying to everybody for so long.

Just wait, her comeback to her comeback will be just as big a flop as her doubles shambles.

[/quote] Just no interest anymore in replying to Philli's mails,  as it is always crap !!  Mark my words, Philli will be humiliated soon.