logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages«<56789>»
Laura Robson!! :)
tgj92
#205 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 9:46:49 AM(UTC)
tgj92

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

Robson beaten on Wimbledon debut.

By Chris Bevan

BBC Sport at Wimbledon

Laura Robson
Robson paid the price for making too many errors against Hantuchova

British teenager Laura Robson could
not mark her senior Wimbledon debut with a win, losing to Daniela
Hantuchova despite making a stunning start.

Robson, 15, the 2008 girls' champion, hit some huge serves to power to the first set against the world number 32.

But errors began to creep into her game and two double faults handed the former world number five the second set.

Hantuchova, ranked 456 places above Robson, used all her experience in the decider to seal a 3-6 6-4 6-2 victory.

Cruelly
for Robson, it was another double-fault that proved her downfall on
match-point - and by then they had become a regular feature of her
game.

It had always appeared her serve would play a decisive
role against Hantuchova, but in the early stages it looked more likely
to be a positive one.

Playing in the first match on the new
Number Two Court, Robson made a statement of intent with her first
delivery - a booming ace - and it was her power and accuracy on serve
that provided her with the platform to take the first set.

The world number 488 is also capable of producing some thumping
groundstrokes too and initially her shots were too hot for Hantuchova,
a quarter-finalist here in 2002, to handle.

Robson raced into a
3-0 lead and, even after her Slovakian opponent clawed her way back to
3-2, she continued to attack, breaking again thanks to a big forehand
winner and keeping her cool to serve out for the set.

Things
seemed to be going according to plan for the British number 14 when she
broke to lead 3-2 in the second set, with her aggressive approach
keeping Hantuchova on the back foot.

But by now the value of
Robson's big serve was being undermined by its unreliability and
Hantuchova broke back immediately, before being gifted the second set
by two successive double faults by Robson at 4-5.

For the first
time, Robson appeared short of confidence at the start of the decider,
while Hantuchova seemed to have finally settled.

The 26-year
old was virtually unchallenged on her own serve and continued to pile
the pressure on Robson, who was looking shaky.

More double
faults put Hantuchova in control at 5-2 and, despite the best efforts
of a vociferous home crowd, there was no way back for Robson.

Hantuchova will play either 16th seed Jie Zheng or unseeded German Kristina Barrois in the second round.

mashadabest
#79 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 8:16:15 AM(UTC)
mashadabest

Gosh, well I didn't get tickets for court 2 so I didn't get to watch the match unfortunately. [:(]  But anyway she really is a little fighter!!! [Y]  I never thought she would win so I am not shocked that she lost, I am shocked that she won a set...against Hantuchova!!!  That really is some achievement, she should feel so proud of herself, the best I was hoping for was 1 set and she did it!!!  So proud of her, hopefully her ranking will move up soon and she will get a better draw next year. [:)]

Oh and I did see Laura at Wimbly but I didn't get her autograph. [:'(]

Robson & Stoop go out of doubles

By Ian Westbrook
BBC Sport at Wimbledon

Laura Robson and Georgie Stoop
Robson and Stoop were involved in a marathon first-round match

Laura Robson and Georgie Stoop bowed out in the second round of the women's doubles to experienced duo Svetlana Kuznetsova and Amelie Mauresmo.

The 16th seeds took the first set on their third set point in front of a packed Court 12 but the British pair hit back in the second set.

They broke Kuznetsova in the second game and opened up a 3-0 lead before being pegged back to 3-3.

Robson was broken twice as the Britons fell to a 6-3 6-4 defeat in 65 minutes.

The pair beat fellow Britons Jade Curtis and Anna Smith 6-4 3-6 13-11 in the first round on Wednesday after a final set which lasted 106 minutes.

Robson, 15, is defending champion in the girls' singles competition, which starts next week.

No surprises here!  But I did watch some of their first round match OMG that third set wow!!  13-11!!!  And I frickin' missed the end cos a friend called me. [:'(]  But I was so happy that they won that marathon third set!!  Shame they are out now. [:(]

Good Luck Robby in the Juniors!!!!

Teerin
#182 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 10:17:53 AM(UTC)
Teerin

[quote user="mashadabest"]

Gosh, well I didn't get tickets for court 2 so I didn't get to watch the match unfortunately. [:(]  But anyway she really is a little fighter!!! [Y]  I never thought she would win so I am not shocked that she lost, I am shocked that she won a set...against Hantuchova!!!  That really is some achievement, she should feel so proud of herself, the best I was hoping for was 1 set and she did it!!!  So proud of her, hopefully her ranking will move up soon and she will get a better draw next year. [:)]

Oh and I did see Laura at Wimbly but I didn't get her autograph. [:'(]

Robson & Stoop go out of doubles

By Ian Westbrook
BBC Sport at Wimbledon

Laura Robson and Georgie Stoop
Robson and Stoop were involved in a marathon first-round match

Laura Robson and Georgie Stoop bowed out in the second round of the women's doubles to experienced duo Svetlana Kuznetsova and Amelie Mauresmo.

The 16th seeds took the first set on their third set point in front of a packed Court 12 but the British pair hit back in the second set.

They broke Kuznetsova in the second game and opened up a 3-0 lead before being pegged back to 3-3.

Robson was broken twice as the Britons fell to a 6-3 6-4 defeat in 65 minutes.

The pair beat fellow Britons Jade Curtis and Anna Smith 6-4 3-6 13-11 in the first round on Wednesday after a final set which lasted 106 minutes.

Robson, 15, is defending champion in the girls' singles competition, which starts next week.

No surprises here!  But I did watch some of their first round match OMG that third set wow!!  13-11!!!  And I frickin' missed the end cos a friend called me. [:'(]  But I was so happy that they won that marathon third set!!  Shame they are out now. [:(]

Good Luck Robby in the Juniors!!!!

[/quote]

She can still play Juniors? I never knew that. So Juniors and the regular are separate tournaments? That's cool -- I guess I'll be seeing my fellow teenage countrywoman and last year's finalist playing still - despite losing in the qualifications of the maindraw.

tgj92
#206 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 10:20:35 AM(UTC)
tgj92

[quote user="paul_pipkin"]No, she can play both. Up to the age of, I think, 17 a boy or girl can play both at the same tournament. The theory is that most will go out of the main draw in the first or second round, so most often the Juniors haven't even started before they're at liberty. In the event that she did move farther in the main draw, she would probably drop from the Juniors.[/quote]

Here's what paul wrote about it a while back Teerin :) 

Teerin
#183 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 10:46:20 AM(UTC)
Teerin

[quote user="tgj92"]

[quote user="paul_pipkin"]No, she can play both. Up to the age of, I think, 17 a boy or girl can play both at the same tournament. The theory is that most will go out of the main draw in the first or second round, so most often the Juniors haven't even started before they're at liberty. In the event that she did move farther in the main draw, she would probably drop from the Juniors.[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah, thanks TGJ92. But Noppawan Lercheewakarn is already 17, don't know if she can still play. Also, why are we not seeing Maria's cousin Daria Sharapova playing junior Grand Slam? Is she not good enough or she's too young? I think she turned 14 already. She's pretty like Maria.

tgj92
#207 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 10:56:27 AM(UTC)
tgj92

[quote user="Teerin"][quote user="tgj92"]

[/quote]

Ah, thanks TGJ92. But Noppawan Lercheewakarn is already 17, don't know if she can still play. Also, why are we not seeing Maria's cousin Daria Sharapova playing junior Grand Slam? Is she not good enough or she's too young? I think she turned 14 already. She's pretty like Maria.

[/quote]

please, call me Tom [:)] 

Teerin
#184 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 10:58:38 AM(UTC)
Teerin

[quote user="tgj92"][quote user="Teerin"][quote user="tgj92"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'll remember that, Tom. Why didn't you register your name with Tom then? [:P]

tgj92
#208 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 11:03:21 AM(UTC)
tgj92

[quote user="Teerin"][quote user="tgj92"][quote user="Teerin"][quote user="tgj92"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'll remember that, Tom. Why didn't you register your name with Tom then? [:P]

[/quote]

i have absolutely no idea, tbh when i joined i didn't even know what a username was :\ you see i didn't really discover technology until late 2007 :p otherwise i woulda joined sooner :) 

paul_pipkin
#148 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:25:41 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1881 time(s) in 1250 post(s)
[quote user="Teerin"][quote user="tgj92"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Daria just turned 14 this month -- First name, Daria. Last name, Sharapova. Birth date, 06-16-1995. If she's ready, we might see her in Juniors at the USO. [H]

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Teerin
#185 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 1:49:48 AM(UTC)
Teerin

[quote user="paul_pipkin"][quote user="Teerin"][quote user="tgj92"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Daria just turned 14 this month -- First name, Daria. Last name, Sharapova. Birth date, 06-16-1995. If she's ready, we might see her in Juniors at the USO. [H]

[/quote]

1995, wow she's younger than I am. [:P]

I hope she can get to play Juniors at U.S. Open, really can't wait to see her. [:D]

Teerin
#186 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 3:05:53 AM(UTC)
Teerin

[quote user="Teerin"][quote user="paul_pipkin"][quote user="Teerin"][quote user="tgj92"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

1995, wow she's younger than I am. [:P]

I hope she can get to play Juniors at U.S. Open, really can't wait to see her. [:D]

[/quote]

One problem though. Most websites are saying "Daria Sharapova of Belarus", why is that? [:S]

beni
#4 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 5:10:37 AM(UTC)
beni

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well, I think Maria's Parents (maybe just Yuri, or it might be her grandparents) is originally from Belarus.
tgj92
#209 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 5:20:23 AM(UTC)
tgj92

Okay, so Laura starts the defence of her Wimbledon junior title today against the unseeded Canadian Katarena Paliivets...
She is 4th on court 14 and she's seeded second behind Kristina Mladenovic of Francias. Vamosss Laura :)
mashadabest
#80 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 3:24:04 PM(UTC)
mashadabest

OMG seeded second WTF?  Has she dropped in the rankings? [:(]

Anyways I watched some of the match!!  Laura won!!! [

mashadabest
#81 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 3:25:09 PM(UTC)
mashadabest

OMG seeded second WTF?  Has she dropped in the rankings? [:(]

Anyways I watched some of the match!!  Laura won!!! [

paul_pipkin
#149 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 4:15:46 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1881 time(s) in 1250 post(s)

[quote user="beni"]Well, I think Maria's Parents (maybe just Yuri, or it might be her grandparents) is originally from Belarus.
[/quote]

Yuri is Belarusian by birth (though a citizen of the Federation). Maria's mom is Great Russian by birth but they were living in Belarus. In fact, Masha was conceived in Belarus--they only moved to the Urals when her mom was several months along. [H]

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
tgj92
#210 Posted : Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:49:22 AM(UTC)
tgj92

Laura's struggled today with back pain and she's just had to save 3 match points but she's leading 6-5 in the 3rd.
C'mon Lauraaa!!!!
mashadabest
#82 Posted : Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:52:26 AM(UTC)
mashadabest

Yep been watching live scores, heard something about a back problem, she's about to get knocked out.  So sad, such a bad day today.
Teerin
#187 Posted : Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:58:50 AM(UTC)
Teerin

That's cool. Hope no one can stop Noppawan Lercheewakarn now. [:P] There are 5 young Thai girls in the draw and only 1 made it so far.

tgj92
#211 Posted : Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:59:21 AM(UTC)
tgj92

Laura's out, seems she was really struggling.