logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
US OPEN
Philli
#25 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 4:34:36 PM(UTC)
Philli

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)

Thankyou for your civil explanation Paul. It's a pretty rare thing when others seem to inadvertantly detect a note of negativity in a message.

bla
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 4:40:15 PM(UTC)
bla

[quote user="Philli"]

Thankyou for your civil explanation Paul. It's a pretty rare thing when others seem to inadvertantly detect a note of negativity in a message.

[/quote] oohh back off b*tch
paul_pipkin
#17 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 5:17:33 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)
[quote user="Philli"]

Thankyou for your civil explanation Paul.  [/quote]

Well, if the "grownups" don't occasionally make a stab at civility...? [;)]

Look, I'm not saying the flawed perspective in the wake of the Williams sisters produced nothing. At the USO, you saw that Donald Young from Atlanta. Impressive. By and large, however, our young black players remain no less mediocre than our young white players. You see this over and over in the tournaments.

The problem in North American tennis isn't so much racist as it's classist. When tennis globalzied, the new powers handled things differently. For example, bla can probably tell us about those South American clubs where they play both tennis and soccer. In the States, OTOH, every school may have a tennis court but the sport continues to be strangled by the same insular country club paradigm that it always suffered, IMO.

But y'know, the race question started me thinking: there were a number of Africans wound up in Russia during the Soviet times. And actually a few more American expats than we ever admitted. (Gregory Hines's character in White Nights was not at all fanciful.) I wish that one of their black Russian daughters/granddaughters would excell at tennis--play Fed Cup and everything. That would be so cool. lol

[H] Paul

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
bla
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 6:07:51 PM(UTC)
bla

[quote user="paul_pipkin"][quote user="Philli"]

Thankyou for your civil explanation Paul.  [/quote]

Well, if the "grownups" don't occasionally make a stab at civility...? [;)]

Look, I'm not saying the flawed perspective in the wake of the Williams sisters produced nothing. At the USO, you saw that Donald Young from Atlanta. Impressive. By and large, however, our young black players remain no less mediocre than our young white players. You see this over and over in the tournaments.

The problem in North American tennis isn't so much racist as it's classist. When tennis globalzied, the new powers handled things differently. For example, bla can probably tell us about those South American clubs where they play both tennis and soccer. In the States, OTOH, every school may have a tennis court but the sport continues to be strangled by the same insular country club paradigm that it always suffered, IMO.

But y'know, the race question started me thinking: there were a number of Africans wound up in Russia during the Soviet times. And actually a few more American expats than we ever admitted. (Gregory Hines's character in White Nights was not at all fanciful.) I wish that one of their black Russian daughters/granddaughters would excell at tennis--play Fed Cup and everything. That would be so cool. lol

[H] Paul

[/quote] love how you always sign after writing lol..well here in south america(actually uruguay, don't know much of the countries), we play tennis in sport clubs (I suppose like in many other countries :P) but not in high schools, we don't have that priviledge..I would kill for that! lol
paul_pipkin
#18 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 8:41:26 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)

Heh-heh. Old habits.

Wish I could mail you a court to Uruguay from Texas. Yeah, most high schools here have them, but they are used less than they should be. Texas is mostly "Friday Night Lights" (American) football territory. (The barrio kids are maybe more into basketball.)

However, university area courts and public courts in university towns are heavily used, so some are learning to play on their own. We could benefit from something more like the sports clubs, though.

Paul

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17