logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Maybe time for America, Maria?
Dick in Vegas
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:04:32 PM(UTC)

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Reading about Maria's shunning at the Fed Cup by several fellow Russian players, I could not help but wonder if it is not time for Maria to consider a path toward becoming an American? Many such people sincerely love their countries of origin and always will, but nevertheless choose to become an American. Many of us cannot differentiate Maria from native Americans, such is her language skill and identification with our society, perhaps the ultimate melting pot of the world. Maria owns property here, live here much of the time, has spent more time in America than anywhere else, and probably pays considerable taxes here. She would be welcomed with open arms by most Americans and they would fully understand her love of and interest in her country of origin. Unless she pictures moving back to Russia, I would suggest she consider this course of action. Whatever she ultimately choses, we here will always admire her spirit, dedication and tenacity. She reminds us of our best.

andrewwatchingwta
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:16:15 PM(UTC)

I've never held a conversation with Maria Sharapova, but it is my educated guess that she doesn't care one bit if some 18 - 24 year old is jealous of her accomplishments and/or beauty.

Beyond that, it would be a shame to get run out of her home country, albeit altogether American.

Saint
#66 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:21:13 PM(UTC)
Saint

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

you as an American I guess, would you change your American status 2 a let's say, a France one... if you would have lived in France for more then 15 year or so?? would you?

You just stay whatever you are... unless your unhappy about it, but Maria is proud of being a Russian so why the hell should she become a American?!

Empathy
#23 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:08:23 PM(UTC)
Empathy

She should join the American Team, she is here enough anyway....she is practically american.
Meshmesh
#34 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:09:42 PM(UTC)

Masha should stay Russian. I'll not talk to her if she converts !
@Sweet Cleopatra@
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:19:35 PM(UTC)
@Sweet Cleopatra@

that'll NEVER happen , she's RUSSIAN from SIBERIA , she's so loyal to her country , I don't believe she'll do that , I may die if that happen .

stop this talking she's already with the Russian team and listed in it , she was cheering for Russia , with her Russian jacket ,

she'll play next year for Russia the fed cup and the Olympics

and don't make that kind of threads and posts please , you annoy me and make me very sad

and I send a pm for you read it

END

Dick in Vegas
#22 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:02:40 PM(UTC)

It was not my intention to make people angry. Millions of people in the last two centuries have migrated to America without incurring the wrath of their original countrymen.My cardiologist is a former Russian named Svetlana. Do her friends in Russia begrudge her for now being an American? I don't know, but I doubt it. Those of you who are so offended by the idea should answer me this. Maria is now worth millions. She can afford to live in any part of Russia she chooses, and participate in the WTA tour just as do her friends like Maria Kirilenko, for example. Why would she not choose to do so? Why maintain two residences in the USA, one in Florida and one on the West Coast? It is none of my business why she chooses to do it, but she does. Perhaps she could maintain a residence in Moscow and one in Siberia if she chose to. That she choses to live in America seems to me to be a fair basis for at least asking the question about her long range intention. I apologize to those who think these are improper questions. I think they are perfectly proper to ask. Only Maria could answer them definitively if she chose to. For the rest of us it is merely speculation.
andrewwatchingwta
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:18:11 AM(UTC)

I still don't think that a professional competitor is going to get run out of her home country by any other pro tennis player.

For that reason, and others, you may never see Sharapova as a US citizen.  If you want her to be American, and think she reads this, it would probably be best to talk about the ways America has helped her.  A more positive selling point.

midaso
#35 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:35:14 AM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)
[quote user="Saint"]

you as an American I guess, would you change your American status 2 a let's say, a France one... if you would have lived in France for more then 15 year or so?? would you?

You just stay whatever you are... unless your unhappy about it, but Maria is proud of being a Russian so why the hell should she become a American?!

[/quote]

Depends if you like your old country - Irene Van Dyk,a netball player,moved to NZ when she was like 28 - with 72 tests for South Africa. A year later,was playing for NZ...

I think tennis players like Ivan Lendl and Martina Navratilova - they changed to USA even though they clearly aren't from there...I don't think they got much stick for it...

merylstr@otenet.gr
#32 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 4:26:25 AM(UTC)
merylstr@otenet.gr

hey there. ia am not at all bothered by this subject. i think it is very interesting. many people are wondering about this. Though i don't know what's in her mind, i'll let you know how i am feeling about this. You see, she left her country so that she was given a better chance to succed in what she wanted to do with her life. And now, yes she chose to live there and yes she speaks english quite the american way, and yes her whole life(friends, school and all) is there. So i don't think she will relocate from yhe States to Ryssia or anywhere else. However that does not mean she will become an american citizen.If she wanted to,  she would have done it already...There should be a reason better that the Fed Cup for her to do that. For example when Navratilova had to in order to live her life the way she wanted to but couldn't back then (her being gay and all),,I mean if you have no problem with where you come from, a big problem, why would you change your citizenship?? There iis always a special bond that connects you with your country no matter where you leave. Personally i believe that bond is even stronger when you are far away..Any way, bottom line is i believe that she shouldn't and from a couple of her saying, i Strongly believe that she won't, not for the Fed Cup, Not for anything...

CROUCHING TIGER
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:21:57 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2866 time(s) in 1722 post(s)
Let's keep Dick's pecker in Vegas and Masha's beauty in Russia...no problemo!!!

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
Saint
#67 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:18:20 AM(UTC)
Saint

disgusting thought, becoming a American...
masha4ever
#30 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:39:04 AM(UTC)
masha4ever

this disscusion has no sense...masha said it before: she is an russian ,she feels good with herself,she doesn`t want to join america...she have done it till now if she have desire it
cutetennisgurl
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:52:43 AM(UTC)
cutetennisgurl

they asked her that question before and she said she's Russian and will not change her citizenship , and I'm happy she has strong connection to her country .
Empathy
#24 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:41:10 AM(UTC)
Empathy

[quote user="cutetennisgurl"]they asked her that question before and she said she's Russian and will not change her citizenship , and I'm happy she has strong connection to her country .[/quote]

Well, for one thing she would not announce it to the world via-reporter.   I'm not saying she would ever become an american, Yuri would probably not allow it.. and since he seems to have overwhelming control over her.. it probably won't happen.   But to me... in my mind.. she's an american girl in russia 

Nella
#59 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:52:33 PM(UTC)

Hi,

Out of the 20 years of her life , Maria has spend 13 years in USA !! Looking at her appierance I see

Maria as an American girl. Language, fashion, look. To me she doesn't look Russian at all.

During her career,  I believe Maria will stay Russian. I also don't believe she will move back to Russia / Siberia

after her tennis carreer. The way of life , the weather , it is just better in the USA.

Therefore I expect that Maria will become American after tennis is history !!

m.kojzar
#28 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:24:56 PM(UTC)

[quote user="Saint"]disgusting thought, becoming a American...[/quote]

Um, what exactly is so "disgusting" about being/becoming an American?

Saint
#68 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:18:03 PM(UTC)
Saint

Well that's more of a personal thought, Americans thinking they're the biggest (no in the other way) and best and all that stuff...
m.kojzar
#29 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:46:19 PM(UTC)

[quote user="Saint"]Well that's more of a personal thought, Americans thinking they're the biggest (no in the other way) and best and all that stuff...[/quote]

Way to stereotype and compartmentalize a whole nation of people. It must be nice living in a world like that. You know, most American's aren't like that - to an extent, yes, we believe that we're the best place to live in the world but that is called national pride and it's only to a certain extent. By no means is it a central belief in everyday life here and to think so is really very ignorant. 

Not to mention that believing that you're the biggest and the best etc. - which is why you say it would be disgusting to become an American - is what top athletes have to believe, so since Maria is a top athlete she would already consider herself "the biggest and the best and all that stuff..."

NoWonder
#62 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:00:34 PM(UTC)
NoWonder

[quote user="Saint"]disgusting thought, becoming a American...[/quote]

F uck   you!