logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

40 Pages123>»
ROLAND GARROS - Les Internationaux de France 2010 Official thread
le maitre couturier
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:12:45 AM(UTC)
le maitre couturier

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

ROLAND GARROS 2010

Les Internationaux de France

The Legend. The first ‘Open’ tournament between the Slam ones. The tournament which changed the World of Tennis becomin’ the first one with clay courts. The one & only. The most physically tiring with its match of over three hours – like the one between Fabrice Santoro & Arnaud Clement (05-25-2004) lasted 6h34’ - . The deeds of Borg, Nadal & many others. The miracle of Michael Chang in 1989. The curse of McEnroe, Sampras, Becker & Edberg (& till now Sharapova’s one too). The consecration of Roger Federer as Greatest Player of all time.

Les Internationaux de Paris since 1891. Le Stade du Roland Garros. Built at the Port d’Auteuil in 1928. After 82 years of pieces of Tennis History, something is gonna change.

The President of the French Tennis Federation, Gilbert Ysern, is thinkin’ of a new place to play the tournament. Structural causes: if we consider the actual stadium compared with the one of the other three Slam tournaments, we can find many structural lacks. New solutions to these troubles will be supplied next year in February during a special conference of the Tennis Federation. In the actual project a new structure will be built in the banlieue, the Paris’ suburbs. Ysern said actually there’re four possible places to move: Versailles, Marne-La-Vallee, Evry & Gonesse.

A solution which wasn’t considered by the authorities at the beginning but which is now become nearly a necessity.

Surely – if that becomes a reality – it would be a great sorrow for the French Tennis, but not only for the French one, I suppose. Too many remembrances.

The actual structure

le maitre couturier
#376 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:16:22 AM(UTC)
le maitre couturier

ROLAND GARROS 2010

The Legend. The first ‘Open’ tournament between the Slam ones. The tournament which changed the World of Tennis becomin’ the first one with clay courts. The one & only. The most physically tiring with its match of over three hours – like the one between Fabrice Santoro & Arnaud Clement (05-25-2004) lasted 6h34’ - . The deeds of Borg, Nadal & many others. The miracle of Michael Chang in 1989. The curse of McEnroe, Sampras, Becker & Edberg (& till now Sharapova’s one too). The consecration of Roger Federer as Greatest Player of all time.

Les Internationaux de Paris since 1891. Le Stade du Roland Garros. Built at the Port d’Auteuil in 1928. After 82 years of pieces of Tennis History, something is gonna change.

The President of the French Tennis Federation, Gilbert Ysern, is thinkin’ of a new place to play the tournament. Structural causes: if we consider the actual stadium compared with the one of the other three Slam tournaments, we can find many structural lacks. New solutions to these troubles will be supplied next year in February during a special conference of the Tennis Federation. In the actual project a new structure will be built in the banlieue, the Paris’ suburbs. Ysern said actually there’re four possible places to move: Versailles, Marne-La-Vallee, Evry & Gonesse.

A solution which wasn’t considered by the authorities at the beginning but which is now become nearly a necessity.

Surely – if that becomes a reality – it would be a great sorrow for the French Tennis, but not only for the French one, I suppose. Too many remembrances.

Hamoudi
#305 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:18:37 AM(UTC)
Hamoudi

Oh, dear God!! is "somewhere" time zone is 2 months ahead from earth ? 
paul_pipkin
#465 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:05:17 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)
Yeah, but there is a lotta talk on the venue issue & the "dressmaker" is concerned. I agree, a permanent venue change begs disaster. In theory, you could perhaps relocate AO or USO, but you can no more "move" Roland Garros than you could Wimbledon. I dunno what they're thinking over there. The appropriate course would be to temporarily relocate all or part of the French Open for a year or two while upgrading or rebuilding existing infrastructure. 
"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
le maitre couturier
#377 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:13:34 AM(UTC)
le maitre couturier

Of course, where I live the times zone is too ahead than the rest of the earth: exactly three months ahead, so I already know the name of the winner of the RG 2010 but I won't tell you who's 'cause it must be a surprise eh eh [:P] However, till yesterday I didn't have the idea to open a thread about the RG so early, but while I was surfing on the net in the morning lookin' for the last results from Miami I saw an article which said that the French Open could move away & I was shocked by that news: you see, moving the Roland Garros, c'est impensable. So I decided to open this thread immediately. By the way, I'm sure to rebuild the structure is necessary in order to avoid every kind of troubles & I agree with paul pipkin: the best solution would be to relocate temporarily the venue; to change it permantly it's absolutely wrong, the Stade du Roland Garros is a great piece of Tennis history & you can't think to change its historical venue, it's like tryin' to destroy the Estadio de Maracana for football or the Croke Park for rugby !!!  

giane
#284 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:21:56 PM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
i was waiting for this event! it would be very interesting! cant wait to see maria have this title.. hope she'll be fine before this gs..
shrapi
#603 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2010 1:32:03 AM(UTC)
shrapi

I was never delighted with this tournament.

And I'm not wondering that Maria couldn't win it.

The tournament is not well placed in the diary because it' s almost rainy and

those rain delays are awfully.

( we had those delays at Roland Garros as long as I remember ).

And the other way, French Open and Wimbledon are timely too near placed.

le maitre couturier
#378 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2010 9:30:10 AM(UTC)
le maitre couturier

Yet I loved the RG & I've no doubt it is the most beautiful tournament of tennis in the world. With Wimbledon, of course; even if that's true they're so near in the time. Wimbledon is wonderful 'cause of the grass, which undoubtely beautiful to see & to play on, & sure cos of its history: it is the most ancient slam in the world !!! On the other hand, the Roland Garros, which has great history too, is absolutely an incredible place to play: I loved playing on the clay because the game is slower & you've more time to think about what to do & the place where to shot; you need a great resistence cos the matches are so long & the rebounds of the ball are often so strange, above all when it hurt the lines. Unfortunately I've never play on the grass (to be honest I've seen only two courts of real in all my life), but I think it would be great too; at my tennis school we always play on hard courts but I usually dilike them. I think clay is the best one. I also love when I have to clean it after a match.
mashadabest
#418 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2010 6:12:04 PM(UTC)
mashadabest

[quote user="shrapi"]

And the other way, French Open and Wimbledon are timely too near placed.

[/quote]

Totally agree!!!  There's a big gap between the Aussie Open and the French and also a fairly big gap between Wimbly and the US Open and they just squash the French and Wimbly together grrr.  Plus they should realise that the French Open clashes with my exams [:|] and that means I am gonna miss the whole effing slam [:'(].  Oh well it is my least favourite slam, clay is my least fave surface and most of my players get knocked out early anyway. [:|]  Still good luck to all my players this year, I won't be here cheering for them and I won't be watching them but after it's over I'll read all about it and what happened. [:S]

le maitre couturier
#408 Posted : Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:48:13 AM(UTC)
le maitre couturier

ROLAND GARROS 2010

Gilbert Ysern, director of the RG, explains the reasons of the hard decision.(BBC Sport) 

The French Open could be forced into a "heartbreaking" move away from Paris in the next few years due to problems with the infrastructure at Roland Garros.

Organisers have long considered ways of extending the current stadia but these have stalled because of opposition from the public and environmentalists.

And tournament director Gilbert Ysern explained: "We have two options, make it bigger or move out.

"It would be heartbreaking to leave Paris but we have to consider it."

A final decision on whether the tournament will remain in Paris is expected during a general assembly of the French Tennis Federation scheduled for next February.

But while the various extension plans have not been completely dismissed, organisers are now considering four possible new locations in the Paris suburbs, all over 15 kms away from the capital, including Versailles and Disneyland Paris.

"Over the last 10 years, the three other grand slam tournaments have progressed, notably in terms of infrastructure, but we haven't," Ysern added, referring to the Australian Open, Wimbledon and US Open.

"Roland Garros cannot stay the way it is."

The French Open attracts 450,000 spectators during the fortnight it takes place, but Ysern revealed that world number one Roger Federer had given him a "long list of complaints" about the Paris tournament.

This year's French Open runs from 24 May to 6 June.

Philli
#598 Posted : Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:52:54 AM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Maria win?????.  Anybody wanna takes bets that she doesn't make it through the first week...again?
Hamoudi
#326 Posted : Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:59:16 AM(UTC)
Hamoudi

[quote user="Philli"]Maria win?????.  Anybody wanna takes bets that she doesn't make it through the first week...again?[/quote]

I want to but you don’t keep your word...

TTIMJ
#712 Posted : Saturday, March 27, 2010 6:29:35 PM(UTC)
TTIMJ

Nadal will lose
le maitre couturier
#409 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:44:38 AM(UTC)
le maitre couturier

Obviously I hope Federer will win again, but, even if actually Nadal isn't so strong as two years ago (& probably he won't be again), we can't already say that Rafa won't be the winner cos we haven't already seen how he now play on a clay court, which is, as everybody knows, his favourite one. We have to wait April & tournaments like Montecarlo, Barcelona & the Internazionali di Roma to know that. Surely he won't do worse than last year

giane
#285 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 8:35:31 PM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)

I was never delighted with this tournament.

And I'm not wondering that Maria couldn't win it.

The tournament is not well placed in the diary because it' s almost
rainy and

those rain delays are awfully.

( we had those delays at Roland Garros as long as I remember ).

And the other way, French Open and Wimbledon are timely too near
placed.

''it is one of maria's weakness.. clay.. yet i wanna see her moving and wanna see how will she hit the title at the RG GS.. let her weakness be the stepping stone for improvement and another achievement.. 

angeliscool
#63 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:21:09 PM(UTC)
angeliscool

I am going to bet that she gets past the 3rd round. That is all I can guarantee.
azwan
#114 Posted : Friday, April 02, 2010 1:20:29 AM(UTC)

i'm not surprised if she makes it to the semis...based on last year's record, her best grandslam was the clay...so..i think she'll be fine..
laki696
#365 Posted : Friday, April 02, 2010 6:57:54 AM(UTC)

haha, that's prettyweird but truth,though..the surface she feels like a cow on ice at, is the surface that she had her best result,isn't that ironic.But that was probably like i said beacuse she wasn't tired, and she is ssmart she don't need matches to get better,she knows her plan and when she is physically good she wins...
CROUCHING TIGER
#141 Posted : Friday, April 02, 2010 7:16:19 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2862 time(s) in 1718 post(s)
"Americano-Sharapova"-lovers are quite some tribe. Run, Stanley, run...[+o(]

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
le maitre couturier
#379 Posted : Friday, April 02, 2010 11:16:21 AM(UTC)
le maitre couturier

We have to consider also that in the 2010 edition of the RG, Justine Henin will play again & we know how much she loves the clay surafeces: she has won the French Open four times in her career & three of them in three straight years (2005-2006-2007) &, besides, when she decided to retire she was still the champion of the tournament. During this season she has already lost a slam final in Australia against Serena & she has been eliminated from all the other three tournaments she played (the last one yesterday in the Miami semis by Kim, as you well know), but her play looks very good & I think she will be the one to beat at the Roland Garros.