logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
WTA YEC, Doha -- Oct 26-31
paul_pipkin
#1 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 10:35:28 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1878 time(s) in 1248 post(s)

Since nobody else has done this, I'm gonna start this thread and do it here--rather than in Other Tournaments like we might Linz or Osaka. Though Maria isn't there, YEC is IMPORTANT--as well as comprising the major players Masha must contend with in 2011.

As you may have heard: Sunday, October 10, 2010

My dearest fans
I have been training for many weeks to get back to playing tennis as quickly possible since my foot surgery in mid-July. Yesterday I learned that I had tried too hard, and did too much too soon. After practicing yesterday morning I felt discomfort in my foot and tests by my doctor revealed that I had unfortunately re-strained it, as a result of over training.

I am likely out for the year now. I was really looking forward to beginning my comeback in Linz, followed by the Year-end championships in Doha. I feel completely heartbroken, and devastated, but knowing I will never be given more than I can handle I plan on coming back stronger and better. However, in order not to make this worse, I have to chill on my physical workouts but I will immediately begin rehabbing as soon as I get the Doc's OK. Keep me in your prayers (I need them).

Thank you all for your support and love.

Xxx S(erena) http://www.serenawilliams.com/blog_message_detail.php?msg=184 

YEC suddenly becomes more meaningful to me. Yeah, I know what Serena can do and am grandly inifferent. [:|] I don't like her and don't care how she may stack up. As per me, the remaining field is a better tennis contest.

Eurosport
Tue 26 Oct 14:45 Round Robin Stage   British Eurosport (14:45-20:45)
Wed 27 Oct 14:45 Round Robin Stage  British Eurosport (14:45-20:45)
Thu 28 Oct 14:45 Round Robin Stage   British Eurosport (14:45-20:45)
Fri 29 Oct 14:45 Round Robin Stage      British Eurosport (14:45-20:45)
Sat 30 Oct 15:15 Semi Finals                 British Eurosport (15:15-19:15)
Sun 31 Oct 14:45 Final                         British Eurosport (14:45-17:00)

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Dartagnan
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:57:18 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)
[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

Since nobody else has done this, I'm gonna start this thread and do it here--rather than in Other Tournaments like we might Linz or Osaka. Though Maria isn't there, YEC is IMPORTANT--as well as comprising the major players Masha must contend with in 2011.

As you may have heard: Sunday, October 10, 2010

My dearest fans
I have been training for many weeks to get back to playing tennis as quickly possible since my foot surgery in mid-July. Yesterday I learned that I had tried too hard, and did too much too soon. After practicing yesterday morning I felt discomfort in my foot and tests by my doctor revealed that I had unfortunately re-strained it, as a result of over training.

I am likely out for the year now. I was really looking forward to beginning my comeback in Linz, followed by the Year-end championships in Doha. I feel completely heartbroken, and devastated, but knowing I will never be given more than I can handle I plan on coming back stronger and better. However, in order not to make this worse, I have to chill on my physical workouts but I will immediately begin rehabbing as soon as I get the Doc's OK. Keep me in your prayers (I need them).

Thank you all for your support and love.

Xxx S(erena) http://www.serenawilliams.com/blog_message_detail.php?msg=184 

YEC suddenly becomes more meaningful to me. Yeah, I know what Serena can do and am grandly inifferent. [:|] I don't like her and don't care how she may stack up. As per me, the remaining field is a better tennis contest.

Eurosport
Tue 26 Oct 14:45 Round Robin Stage   British Eurosport (14:45-20:45)
Wed 27 Oct 14:45 Round Robin Stage  British Eurosport (14:45-20:45)
Thu 28 Oct 14:45 Round Robin Stage   British Eurosport (14:45-20:45)
Fri 29 Oct 14:45 Round Robin Stage      British Eurosport (14:45-20:45)
Sat 30 Oct 15:15 Semi Finals                 British Eurosport (15:15-19:15)
Sun 31 Oct 14:45 Final                         British Eurosport (14:45-17:00)

[/quote]

Caroline and Vera will reach this tournament. Caroline is first and Vera third in the new WTA ranking.

These girls played their best tennis. 

Elena will also join them. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

paul_pipkin
#31 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:33:04 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

As of this morning, WTA & USTA organs still refuse to fact the fact of the probable Williams flake-out. Mary Jo Fernandez is just breathing a sigh of relief that her Fed Cup contract was renewed before having to deliver. And the WTA pimps are actually sh!tting their britches at the thought of depending on Caroline to maintain comforting Christmas-season illusions of Western Hegemony. lol!

Fact is, they apparently don't trust Princess, the Jersey Girl, and Stosur all rolled together. There's a 25% chance they might face the nightmare of a Russian year-end champion or, hey, Schiavone? LMAO! They don't feel a hell of a lot better about THAT! Them damned Italians keep on playing Moscow when we've told 'em & told 'em... y'know? And now they're likely to take that Fed Cup we're ENTITLED to, right on our own ground! [:P]

PS:

NOW--Check THIS out: At this moment, Li Na has FIVE more YEC RACE POINTS than Vika.

9  Li Na                      3540 Points 
10 Victoria Azarenka 3535 Points

THUS, Who would/will move up if/when Serena officially drops Doha depends on their performance at Kremlin Cup! Geeked

paul_pipkin
#32 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 5:32:05 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

And deafening silence goes on and on... Obviously, WTA has asked Serena to NOT remove her name from contention. Why?

Well, first they would have to then recognize Kremlin Cup as the arena where Vika & Li Na contend to move into the elite eight. Is there a darker scheme in mind? Say, if it were Vika who joins the TWO Russians they didn't want at Doha to begin with, they might have Serena show up to hit a couple of balls & retire--guaranteeing that the Belarusian alternate could not win?

At this point, were either sister to suddenly appear around Fed Cup OR YEC, I will hardly be the only voice to call it for the bullsh!t it would be. So I don't greatly expect that. But there is obviously some sort of wooly-wooly going down.

[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

As of this morning, WTA & USTA organs still refuse to fact the fact of the probable Williams flake-out. Mary Jo Fernandez is just breathing a sigh of relief that her Fed Cup contract was renewed before having to deliver. And the WTA pimps are actually sh!tting their britches at the thought of depending on Caroline to maintain comforting Christmas-season illusions of Western Hegemony. lol!

Fact is, they apparently don't trust Princess, the Jersey Girl, and Stosur all rolled together. There's a 25% chance they might face the nightmare of a Russian year-end champion or, hey, Schiavone? LMAO! They don't feel a hell of a lot better about THAT! Them damned Italians keep on playing Moscow when we've told 'em & told 'em... y'know? And now they're likely to take that Fed Cup we're ENTITLED to, right on our own ground! [:P]

PS:

NOW--Check THIS out: At this moment, Li Na has FIVE more YEC RACE POINTS than Vika.

9  Li Na                      3540 Points 
10 Victoria Azarenka 3535 Points

THUS, Who would/will move up if/when Serena officially drops Doha depends on their performance at Kremlin Cup! Geeked

[/quote]
dinara :D
#14 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 10:03:30 PM(UTC)
dinara :D

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Nice caricature of Vika! [:)]
CROUCHING TIGER
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:39:24 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2866 time(s) in 1722 post(s)

Kim can prepare for Masters

Kim has secured her ticket for the Masters, the unofficial World
Championship Tennis. The WTA announced her participation and that of
Serena Williams on Saturday. (official KC-site)

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
CROUCHING TIGER
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:54:23 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

MORE AT THE DOOR[8-|]

Kim has secured her ticket for the
Masters, the unofficial World Championship Tennis. The WTA announced her
participation and that of Serena Williams on Saturday.

Kim has won the Masters twice already. (picture Belga)"I congratulate both Serena and Kim
for qualifying for the WTA Championships and am glad that fans all over
the world will have the opportunity to watch these two incredible
players compete for the coveted title in Doha," said Stacey Allaster,
Chairman and CEO of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, on the WTA website.

For Kim (WTA 5), winner of this year's US Open and the tournaments of Brisbane, Miami and Cincinnati,
this is the seventh time she plays the Masters, the first time since
2006. The Belgian has won the Masters twice, in 2002 and 2003.
"This
means a lot to me. This in itself is a goal for me, and a highlight,"
Kim said. She is currently recovering from a foot injury.
Previously the Danish Caroline Wozniacki (WTA 2) and the Russian Vera Zvonareva
(WTA 4) assured their tickets to the Masters. The four remaining places
have yet to be allocated. This year the Masters will be played from 26
to 31 October in Doha, Qatar.

Justine & Kim are the best of friends now...i just love it...[U]

paul_pipkin
#33 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 11:09:04 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="CROUCHING TIGER"]

MORE AT THE DOOR[8-|]

Kim has secured her ticket for the Masters, the unofficial World Championship Tennis. The WTA announced her participation and that of Serena Williams on Saturday.

Kim has won the Masters twice already. (picture Belga)"I congratulate both Serena and Kim for qualifying for the WTA Championships and am glad that fans all over the world will have the opportunity to watch these two incredible players compete for the coveted title in Doha," said Stacey Allaster, Chairman and CEO of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, on the WTA website.

For Kim (WTA 5), winner of this year's US Open and the tournaments of Brisbane, Miami and Cincinnati, this is the seventh time she plays the Masters, the first time since 2006. The Belgian has won the Masters twice, in 2002 and 2003.
"This means a lot to me. This in itself is a goal for me, and a highlight," Kim said. She is currently recovering from a foot injury.
Previously the Danish Caroline Wozniacki (WTA 2) and the Russian Vera Zvonareva (WTA 4) assured their tickets to the Masters. The four remaining places have yet to be allocated. This year the Masters will be played from 26 to 31 October in Doha, Qatar.

On 9 December Kim plays Justine Henin at the Diamond Games in the Antwerp Sportpaleis - Buy your tickets here

Justine & Kim are the best of friends now...i just love it...[U]

[/quote]

Yeah, that about sums it up, doesn't it? [:P]

But, looky here: "The four remaining places have yet to be allocated." The text is dated--that was written before the "out for the season" stuff.

fking_crazy
#15 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 3:48:46 AM(UTC)
fking_crazy

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Serena and Venus being absent in Doha (that's what I heard) for a mysterious reason (injury, fatigue, fed up with tennis, love sick???...), Kim is the most qualified and deserving to win the YEC.

If Miss Yellow Pant wins, I'll stop watching tennis [|-)]

shrapi
#55 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 5:16:50 AM(UTC)
shrapi

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Second that:

If Miss Yellow Pant wins, I'll stop watching tennis

CROUCHING TIGER
#9 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 12:24:03 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

LOL...easy to say, but u just can't do it; both of u. It's a showcase; half are tired with their tongue in the sand and just happy to be there. Clijsters made it one of her prime targets and WOZ is obliged to show off with her rank. A surprise is always possible but my money on one of those two.

katmilr
#17 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 5:49:25 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 64 post(s)
not sure who to root for. [:S]
paul_pipkin
#34 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 6:39:53 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="katmilr"]not sure who to root for. [:S]
[/quote]

We won't know who will be the one to move up after Serena drops until Li Na and/or Azarenka are outta the KC. No one will even talk about that except the Israeli press (since Peer stands to become second alternate & go party in Doha and they'll make a big deal of that. [;)])

But it's clear to me who my girls are. Of course, in this era of blatantly bogus "draws", I wouldn't be surprised to see Elena, Vera & Vika if she's in it all on the same side of the Round Robin.

1 Wozniacki, Caroline DEN 7270 21
2 Zvonareva, Vera RUS 6096 18
3 Williams, Serena USA 5355 12
4 Clijsters, Kim BEL 5295 13  Actually # (3)
5 Williams, Venus USA 4985 14
6 Schiavone, Francesca ITA 4595 21       (4)
7 Stosur, Samantha AUS 4572 18           (5)
8 Jankovic, Jelena SRB 4236 19              (6)
9 Dementieva, Elena RUS 4085 19        (7)
10 Li, Na CHN 3540 19                            (8 or 9)
11 Azarenka, Victoria BLR 3535 19        (8 or 9)
12 Henin, Justine BEL 3415 11
13 Peer, Shahar ISR 3365 21                    (10)

Doubles is a no-brainer. For the Glorious Nation! [Y] For the kontraktniki!

1 Dulko, Gisela ARG Pennetta, Flavia ITA 8111 15
2 Peschke, Kveta CZE Srebotnik, Katarina SLO 6596 17
3 Williams, Venus USA Williams, Serena USA 5500 4
4 Raymond, Lisa USA Stubbs, Rennae AUS 5104 18
5 Shvedova, Yaroslava KAZ King, Vania USA 4978 10

shrapi
#56 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:08:01 AM(UTC)
shrapi

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

"I wouldn't be surprised to see Elena, Vera & Vika if she's in it all on the same side of the Round Robin."

I feel the same.

Nella
#29 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:55:57 PM(UTC)

This is going to be a very boring tournament !!  No William sisters, no Kim , Justine, Maria !!  No, I will not watch this event. I can remember form last year it was a tournament only watched by men. Very dull, no atmosphere . It is a pity the event is organised there as Doha has no tennis event tradition ! Take an example to London WTA !  You can learn from them.
paul_pipkin
#50 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:57:39 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="shrapi"]

"I wouldn't be surprised to see Elena, Vera & Vika if she's in it all on the same side of the Round Robin."

I feel the same.

[/quote]

We will see. If Vika beats Petkovic in Moscow on Wednesday, the 8th place is effectively hers. Apparently Li Na was insufficiently motivated to secure Doha. Even if Vika flops & Li Na gets to go, she's not looking impressive. Yeah, WTA's "fixers" are gnashing their teeth. But, hey, they didn't pony up with enough boodle or something. [:P]

COUNT_ZERO
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:03:45 PM(UTC)
COUNT_ZERO

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
US Open Tennis Championships (Official) Serena Williams has announced she is finished for the rest of the 2010 season after re-tearing a tendon in her right foot that she originally injured in July. Amongst other tournaments, she will miss the Fed Cup Final against Italy.
COUNT_ZERO
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:07:57 PM(UTC)
COUNT_ZERO

[quote user="COUNT_ZERO"]US Open Tennis Championships (Official) Serena Williams has announced she is finished for the rest of the 2010 season after re-tearing a tendon in her right foot that she originally injured in July. Amongst other tournaments, she will miss the Fed Cup Final against Italy.[/quote]

so it seems Yellow pants will win YEC as well  and will end as # 1  in 2010. Sad day for womens tennis!!!!

COUNT_ZERO
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:10:34 PM(UTC)
COUNT_ZERO

read this one guys 

Patrick Mouratoglou

Mixed feelings about ranking system

It happened on October 7th 2010. Caroline Wozniacki became the new world number one, passing Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Kim Clijsters, Vera Zvonareva and Justine Henin.

Without a doubt, this is a water cooler story since the Danish player is yet to win a major. Even more stunning is the fact that she has managed to get to the top without having played in a Grand Slam final in 2010.

Wozniacki is ahead of Serena despite the American having won the Australian Open and Wimbledon. She is also ahead of Vera Zvonareva, who reached the Wimbledon and US Open finals, and Kim Clijsters, who has just won the US Open.

How in the world the 20-year-old from Denmark managed to become world number one despite all these facts I simply do not know.

The Dane has played by far the most tennis among the top 15 players. She has played 24 tournaments so far in 2010, while Venus has played 15, Serena 14, Clijsters 13, and Henin 10.

It is obvious that the WTA ranking system favours quantity instead of quality. It highlights those who play the most instead of those who focus primarily on majors.

We've already had Jelena Jankovic and Dinara Safina managing to reach the top without winning a Grand Slam. And now it's the turn of Wozniacki.

We have to take into account the fact that Caroline was unable to play her best in tournaments where the best players have entered. She is yet to prove she deserves this ranking.

Is this a big deal? I believe so.

It is not he first time we have had issues over the ranking account system. The same story happened with Jankovic and Safina, while Serena was still dominating women's tennis.

What is the fairest system? To become world number one by accumulating points over the whole season, or by playing the tournaments that everyone wants to win?

The 20-year-old Dane has taken advantage of players who restricted the number of tournaments they played over the course of the year. The ranking system would be different if Serena, Kim and Justine played more tournaments.

But their decision to limit the number or tournaments played is welcome news for decent payers such as Wozniacki, Elena Dementieva, or Zvonareva.

The first is the new world number one, while the second two will be doing battle to finish the season as the world number three.

However, I have to give Caroline credit for taking her chances. The ones Jankovic, Dementieva, and Victoria Azarenka have failed to take.

I like the fact that hard work and consistency are being rewarded and the Wozniacki family have been working on it for 15 years.

Piotr Wozniacki has managed to reach his goal. He began to train his daughter at a very young age with conviction, work ethic, structural methods, and intelligence.

Caroline demonstrates great values for sport, just like Rafael Nadal does on the men's side. Both are not only the symbol for natural talent, but instead their courage and personal involvement are the biggest assets we could expect from world number ones.

They are great ambassadors showing the real values of the sport.

It remains to be seen whether Wozniacki can remain at the top for a long time, or whether she will collapse the way Safina or Jankovic did.

But Caroline can only get better. She doesn't have a complete game, which is one of the reasons why she has never won a major.

The Dane's serve has improved, however her forehand is still weak. Therefore she doesn't have firepower when hitting her forehand and cannot mix up her shots too much. She has a great defence, can counter-punch very effectively but still gets in trouble when she needs to control the points. This is a positive sign if you consider she has become the world number one with many areas left to improve.

It will be interesting to see how fast she can improve since she knows how to work hard.

Caroline's main rivals for the top spot won't change their schedule. I can't see Serena or Kim playing for a full year anymore. The same goes for Venus and Justine. The American is suffering with her knees, while the Belgian is not consistent. I can only see Zvonareva being able to take her seat over the next two years.

And the other young players take more time than expected to bloom.

Azarenka's results have been disappointing; she is struggling with consistency. Agnieszka Radwanska doesn't possess too many assets, while Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Yanina Wickmayer, Dominika Cibulkova, Sorana Cirstea, and Petra Kvitova cannot consistently challenge Caroline.

They will need more time in order to be able to threaten the Dane. When they are ready, Wozniacki will have improved even more and will therefore be much tougher to beat. 

paul_pipkin
#35 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:11:23 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Nella"]This is going to be a very boring tournament !!  No William sisters, no Kim , Justine, Maria !!  No, I will not watch this event. I can remember form last year it was a tournament only watched by men. Very dull, no atmosphere . It is a pity the event is organised there as Doha has no tennis event tradition ! Take an example to London WTA !  You can learn from them.[/quote]

Not only by men. The royals are there and, because their tribune is technically "inside" the household, they can doff the hijab. The al-Thani women are among the most beautiful on earth. [H]

In one way, lowered profile is good--no incentive for the money boys to try to abrogate the scheduled transition. Next year the YEC goes to Istanbul for three years, which I think will be VERY interesting--playing in a NEW tennis nation. Their players haven't broken out yet but the sport IS there and growing.