logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

19 Pages<1234>»
RUSSIAN NEW TALENTS (FEMALE)
Dartagnan
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:37:51 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

A closer look to Sveta

Svetlana Kuznetsova, "Sveta" as we call her, arrived at the Sanchez-Casal Academy in Barcelona in 1999. She was about 14 years old. Her mother, Galina Tsareva, was an Olympic cycling champion and her father, Alexandr Kuznetsov, a cycling coach who was conducting preseason training in a city nearby, about 100 kilometers away.

But Svetlana wanted to take a different path: she wanted to become a tennis player.

The first time we met Sveta, our staff at the Sanchez-Casal Academy shared a common reaction: she was so shy she would not look at you, she had no confidence in herself, but every time she hit the ball the noise it made was scary. It was something we had not seen or heard before from a girl, maybe slightly similar to Andy Roddick. She reminded us a little bit of Arantxa (Sanchez Vicario) when was little — an incredible talent — but with strokes we had not seen from junior girls her age before.

We had a staff meeting and decided that we would help her. At that time we just started the Academy and didn’t have many players at Sveta's level.

She felt very relaxed because we decided at the very beginning to establish a very simple goal: to train Sveta to become the best player possible; an all-court player who didn't have to win from the first day. I think she appreciated and valued this approach because in Russia, Sveta was always under intense pressure. We believe our approach helped improve her confidence as Sveta saw she was winning matches because she was a better player, not because she was pressured to win.

Less than two years later, she was already the No. 1 junior in the world at the age of 16. We tried to convince the Spanish Tennis Federation to help her become a Spanish citizen, but they didn’t believe the potential that we saw in her. The Federation's president at that time said: "She’s a mediocre player who never will be in the top 20. We have people offering players like this to us every month."  Yet today, after Arantxa's retirement and Conchita (Martinez) in the final phase of her career, Spain is in deep trouble in its efforts to produce top female players.

At the age of 17, Sveta began traveling with Arantxa and her team of coaches from the Academy. That year she won her first professional event in singles and three doubles tournaments together with Arantxa. Playing and training with Arantxa taught Sveta discipline, strategy and how to be a true professional. Arantxa opened the first door for her and helped mentor her.  At that time, Arantxa was Martina Navratilova's partner. Martina was also training in our traveling group. Once Arantxa retired at the end of the year, Martina, who is smart and knows talent, talked Sveta into playing with her. In 2003 they won four titles and played the year-end WTA Tour Championships. Martina taught her how to play inside the court. She opened the second door for Sveta.

When two former No. 1 players — Arantxa and Martina — recorded some of their best recent doubles results playing with a rookie, it proved to many that Sveta had talent. Sveta's confirmation as a top singles player came the same year as she advanced to the Wimbledon quarterfinals and finished in the top 30. Stephan, her personal coach from the Academy, traveled with her for those two years, which were the most difficult ones. Giselle, the academy's physical coach did a great job improving her mobility, which was one of her weaknesses. Both coaches stayed with Martina when she decided to play with Lisa Raymond and go for the Olympics in 2004. Sveta was very disappointed and was ready to quit playing doubles.

All the coaching credit for those two years of Sveta's career should go to Stephan who worked with her through her maturation as a player and a woman.

"She can be lovely and great to work with as well as very difficult and not understandable," Stephan said of Sveta.

Angel Gimenez took over the coaching and with Sergio’s (Sergio Casal) help convinced her that she still had to improve two very important aspects of her game: her serve and her play inside the court. Angel and Sergio told Sveta if she didn't play doubles, it would be more difficult for her to fulfill her potential. After a long conversation, she understand our point and accepted.

Sveta started to play doubles with Elena Likhovtseva to prepare for the Olympics. Our goal for 2004 was to take more advantage of her serve in order to play more effectively inside the court. She wanted to qualify for the Olympics and the year-end WTA Tour Championships.

The preseason was a very demanding training session. Sveta worked harder than ever before and her hard work paid off as the results came immediately. We believed Sveta was making major improvements. She was maturing, believing in herself and realizing it was all about her. She started to win regularly and improve her results. Her losses were usually to the higher-ranked players. In March, Sveta was ranked 20th when she handed top-ranked Justine Henin-Hardenne her first loss of the season, a 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 defeat at the $600,000 Qatar Total Open in Doha. The victory came nearly a week after Sveta beat Venus Williams.

"The other players started to respect her (then)," Angel said. "If she controls her power something big will happen."

At Roland Garros, Sveta had two match points against Anastasia Myskina, but could not close the match. Myskina went on to beat Dementieva to win Roland Garros and Sveta knew she had nearly beaten the champion. From the red clay, Sveta went to the grass courts and won in Eastbourne. At the Olympics she almost won a medal, losing to Mauresmo in a close match. 

The Myskina win in Paris, Maria Sharapova's win at Wimbledon and victories by Elena Dementieva, Vera Zvonareva, Nadia Petrova and Elena Bovina in others events served as incredible motivators for Sveta. Competitive images and hunger are the most successful motivators. Most importantly, Sveta believed in herself and knew it was time to show she could win. She found maturity and started to get results.

Sveta already registered the fastest women's serve at the U.S. Open ( 208km/h), struck the most aces (44) and had only lost one set to Davenport in the tournament before she beat Dementieva in the final. Based on the way she played throughout the tournament, our coaches believed she could take the title.

"Serving this way and with a bit of order in her game, she is much better than all other players," said Sergio Casal, who was coaching Sveta at the Open. "She can win this thing."

She did exactly that.

Sveta's parents, who come from an athletic background, deserve credit because they let every person at the Academy do their job and do the best for their daughter. Sveta was very mature in most cases, making big decisions that helped her career, which is not always common on the tour.

Sveta followed her success at the U.S. Open by winning her second consecutive tournament title in Bali and extending her winning streak to 11 matches in the process. She will go to Beijing next, where she will play doubles with Arantxa. She is also supposed to play in Stuttgart, Moscow,  the Zurich Masters and the Fed Cup finals. But this could change if she keeps playing so well and so much. It is tough for those players who advance so far in each event to maintain such a demanding schedule all year.

We believe Sveta's confidence improved substantially, but she still has to be more consistent in believing that she can be the best and must continue to keep working hard to reach that goal.

To relax and to find inspiration, she listens to music all the time. She is addicted to this mp3 player and has more that 2,000 songs on it. She is truly a music alcoholic.

"Sveta" is her nickname because Svetlana is to difficult to say in Spanish, and "Kuzne" is another nickname as well. Sveta is very easy going and has a good sense of humor. Sometimes, because of her shyness, people thinks she is arrogant. But she is not arrogant and people who think that usually don't know her very well.

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

paul_pipkin
#94 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2009 1:27:14 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1881 time(s) in 1250 post(s)

Good intel. [8-|] Thanx, Dartagnan.

Now, this boy Andrey Kuznetsov, who just made the Wimbledon Juniors final (will play Jordan Cox of USA) --is Andrey related to Svetlana?

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Dartagnan
#18 Posted : Sunday, July 05, 2009 2:38:27 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

Good intel. [8-|] Thanx, Dartagnan.

Now, this boy Andrey Kuznetsov, who just made the Wimbledon Juniors final (will play Jordan Cox of USA) --is Andrey related to Svetlana?

[/quote]

No he is not

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Dartagnan
#19 Posted : Sunday, July 05, 2009 2:46:03 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

WILLIAMS V "I'd rather definitely be number two and hold three grand slams in the past year than be number one and not have any. I don't know what to do to be number one. I don't even care anymore.

According to Safina your ranking represents your work during all the year but not only the result of few victories.

WILLIAMS VENUS"I think the girl, Dinara, who is number one, you can clearly see by her physique how hard she works. You can't get anywhere by not doing the best and not working your hardest.

"So I'm happy for her (but) I'm really excited that I won Wimbledon."

Safina, a finalist at the Australian and French Opens in 2009, has constantly had to defend her status but she did herself no favours when she was walloped 6-1 6-0 in the Wimbledon semi-finals by Venus.

According to WTA records, the result was the most lopsided win over a current world number one at a grand slam event.

In his last address as WTA chief, Larry Scott defended the system.

"The ranking system is designed sort of around king or queen of the hill - who is the strongest, most consistent performer over the year," he said.

"While I know it does stir debate, the one place it doesn't stir a debate is in the locker room. The players believe in that ranking system."

paul_pipkin
#95 Posted : Sunday, July 05, 2009 3:57:14 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Dartagnan"]

WILLIAMS V "I'd rather definitely be number two and hold three grand slams in the past year than be number one and not have any. I don't know what to do to be number one. I don't even care anymore.

According to Safina your ranking represents your work during all the year but not only the result of few victories.

WILLIAMS VENUS"I think the girl, Dinara, who is number one, you can clearly see by her physique how hard she works. You can't get anywhere by not doing the best and not working your hardest.

Safina, a finalist at the Australian and French Opens in 2009, has constantly had to defend her status but she did herself no favours when she was walloped 6-1 6-0 in the Wimbledon semi-finals by Venus.

According to WTA records, the result was the most lopsided win over a current world number one at a grand slam event.

"The ranking system is designed sort of around king or queen of the hill - who is the strongest, most consistent performer over the year," he said.

"While I know it does stir debate, the one place it doesn't stir a debate is in the locker room. The players believe in that ranking system."

[/quote]

The ranking system is, quite simply, the best in professional sports. And yes, the players do support it. The bulk of the carping comes from specific parts of the commentariat who, frankly, seek undue influence over determining status within the game.

Congrats to Andrey Kuznetsov -- boys' Junior Champion of Wimbledon. [

Dartagnan
#20 Posted : Sunday, July 05, 2009 6:49:26 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

[quote user="paul_pipkin"][quote user="Dartagnan"]

[/quote]

The ranking system is, quite simply, the best in professional sports. And yes, the players do support it. The bulk of the carping comes from specific parts of the commentariat who, frankly, seek undue influence over determining status within the game.

Congrats to Andrey Kuznetsov -- boys' Junior Champion of Wimbledon. [

[/quote]

Do you know his ranking among juniors?

paul_pipkin
#96 Posted : Monday, July 06, 2009 12:08:43 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

You know, I'm not real familiar with Juniors rankings. This ITF article says "557", but their rankings page shows him at 35th as of June 29.

Andrey Kuznetsov became the first Russian to win the junior boys’ title at Wimbledon for more than 40 years on Sunday when he beat American Jordan Cox 46 62 62.

Cox, who had qualified for the event, took the first set thanks to one break but Kuznetsov roared back to win the title, sinking to his knees as Cox’s forehand drifted long.

“I still can't believe that I made it,” the 18-year-old said. “In the beginning I was very nervous because of the big crowd and this big stadium, so I was nervous.

"I couldn’t show my best in the beginning. I had one break point and didn't use it. But in the second set I relaxed a little and I began to play better, then just used my chances to win this match."

With a world ranking of 557 and a title already under his belt on the Futures circuit, two rungs below the main ATP Tour, Kuznetsov went into the match as the favourite.

However, Cox, who was bidding to be the first qualifier ever to win the title, had not read the script and matched Kuznetsov in the early stages.

The 17-year-old American saved a break point at 4-4 and then forced his first break point in the next game, before snatching his opportunity as Kuznetsov pushed a forehand long.

An upset looked a real possibility at that stage but having served beautifully throughout, Cox began to struggle to find his first serve.

Kuznetsov sensed his chance and after being denied a break at 2-2 when Cox got a lucky net cord, he broke to lead 3-2 and then again two games later before serving out for the set.

By now the Russian was rolling, with his backhand reminiscent of former Russian world No.1 Yevgeny Kafelnikov.

Cox tried to hang on at the start of the deciding set but Kuznetsov snatched the vital break in the fifth game. That appeared to break Cox’s spirit and two games later, he broke again before serving out for a deserved victory.

Kuznetsov is the first Russian to win the title since Vladimir Korotkov in 1966, and follows in the footsteps of the likes of Pat Cash and Stefan Edberg, both of whom went on to win the senior event.

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/

Dartagnan
#21 Posted : Monday, July 06, 2009 6:49:43 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Kuznetsov is an excellent player. He is the one who is going to replace the old generation of tennis players in Russia.

I am happy to know that we have plenty of talented young people in Russia who are ready to show their talent in famous tournaments.

Putin & Medvedev are working hard to give a chance to our young people to have a good education in sport.

Sport is a solution for the young people to be in good health, to have a good career and to become famous in the world.

Thanks for the info about Kuznetsov, paul_pipkin

Dartagnan
#22 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2009 7:38:00 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Dinara Safina remains on top of the women’s tennis rankings, despite her main rival Serena Williams recently claiming another major title at Wimbledon.

Even with three of the last four Grand Slam titles in her possession, Serena Williams is just second in Monday's WTA rankings, while Safina, who was runner-up at this year’s Australian and French Opens, and made it to the last four at Wimbledon, is still sitting on top.

Elsewhere, Serena’s elder sister Venus is third, with Russian’s Elena Dementieva and Svetlana Kuznetsova in 4th and 5th spots respectfully.

In the men’s rankings, 15-time Grand Slam champ Roger Federer has reclaimed the first slot, as his main rival Rafael Nadal is still suffering from a knee injury.

Meanwhile, it’s been a disappointment for Russia’s two former best players – Marat Safin and Mikhail Yuzhny. They dropped to 60th and 69th respectfully, after their unconvincing performances in London.

Dartagnan
#23 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 1:56:46 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Dinara Safina of Russia celebrates after defeating Sara Errani ...

Dinara Safina of Russia celebrates after defeating Sara Errani of Italy during their final match at the Slovenia Open tennis tournament in Portoroz July 26, 2009.

Dartagnan
#24 Posted : Monday, August 03, 2009 11:57:45 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Vera Dushevina of Russia holds her trophy after winning the final of the Istanbul WTA tournament against Czech Lucie Hradecka on August 2, 2009, in Istanbul.

Dartagnan
#25 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2009 10:32:53 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Safina just answered questions pleasantly.

“If she (Williams) has some questions she can give those questions to the WTA, who is doing the ranking system,” Safina said. “It’s just the result of how you play the whole year,not just the four Grand Slams. I’ve been playing the whole year and I’ve been having great results all through the Grand Slams. If she has some questions she can go to the WTA.”

Safina, 21, was No. 9 in the rankings when she won this event a year ago. She won two more tournaments, was the silver medalist in the Olympics and a semifinalist at the U.S. Open (where she lost to Williams) and compiled a 22-7 record that included losses to Venus and Serena Williams and Elena Dementieva in the Tour Championships.

She started this year No. 3, ascended to No. 1 on April 20 and has a 47-9 record that includes three titles, four finals and two semifinals. But she lost to Serena, 6-0, 6-3, in the Australian Open final and to Venus, 6-0, 6-1, in the Wimbledon semifinals.

Serena had said before Wimbledon that everyone knew who the real No. 1 was. After winning her third Grand Slam in the past year she wondered aloud how she could not be No. 1 on the WTA computer and said, sarcastically, that “Dinara did a great job to get to No. 1, she won Rome and Madrid.”

Safina said she doesn’t feel any urgency to win a Grand Slam, that “it’s just a matter of time and one day it will happen.”

When told that Jelena Jankovic said last week that to be No. 1 “you have to be beating the Williams sisters,” Safina smiled and shrugged and said, again, “the ranking system is not only if you beat Serena Williams and Venus Williams. It’s based on how you play the whole year, and what is their record.”

paul_pipkin
#97 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2009 12:42:10 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Absolutely. The Russians are the dominant force in the women's game because of their achievements but also because they work at it--all year round. They are not dilletante tennis players. [H]
Dartagnan
#26 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2009 3:56:59 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

[quote user="paul_pipkin"]Absolutely. The Russians are the dominant force in the women's game because of their achievements but also because they work at it--all year round. They are not dilletante tennis players. [H][/quote]

Of course you are right; they participate all year around in many tournaments. First, they work harder than the ones who participate only to interesting tournaments or keep their strength for interesting tournaments. Safina is younger than the williams’ sisters and she shows a great tennis all the year in many tournaments. She has power will. We respect her courage. She won many trophies this year. She is an example for other tennis players. Serena Williams who claims to be the best tennis player has been defeated by a tennis player of a lower rank at Stanfort. I think she is not the best and her sister Venus too. Young Bartoli defeated her at Stanfort.

Dartagnan
#27 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:25:02 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Irina Khromacheva was born on May, 12th 1995 in Russia’s capital the city of Moscow. Since the childhood she was very cheerfully busy child. Her parents tried to find whenever it was possible a time for various developing exercises, so she has learned to walk early enough. At the age of three years she was signed up for figure skating. But once in the winter she has unsuccessfully fallen on a skating rink and doctors ascertained a shin fracture. After that it was finished with figure skating though till now she’s skating with pleasure, but not quite often. In parallel with figure skating Irina attended an art school. She didn’t came in with the painting well enough but the clay modeling turned out mush better. Unfortunately the going in for tennis didn’t leave a much time to continue art education.

Once in the summer of 1999 Irina’s parents went to Sokolniki park to play tennis and have taken her with them. While taking a break for rest they gave a racquet to Irina, and it she surprisingly quickly begun to hit the ball. On the way back home, passing by the Shiryaevo Pole courts parents not shelving have decided to show their daughter to the tennis trainer. She appeared to be Elena Viktorovna Nikishchihina. Having tested the child, it has appointed the first training for next day. So the tennis life has begun.

After a year of employment Irina has passed in Marina Andreevna Maryenko's group who again recruited the kids after a birth of her son. Training process became much more intensive, while an abundance of courts allowed to spend a lot of time playing. Mrina Andreevna were assisted by her father Andrey Fedorovich who was engaged in children physical training. There was a great amount of work done, wich yielded a good results in the future. They trained the whole day by summer, and for two-three hours after school daily in the winter, with the exception of Sundays. After seven years of employment on Spartak, in the summer of 2006, Khromacheva Irina went over to training in DTSS "Belokamennaya" helmed V.N.Kamelzon where Natalia Rozhkova and Michael Fayngersh became her trainers. The further perfection of her skill passed on a courts of this school.

Her first official competitions Irina played in december of 2003 года - Locomotiv superiority. After training games in a group the competition wasn’t such a big deal. As a result was a first place, the first certificate of merit and the first cup. There was many victories after that, several times Irina won superiority of Moscow on her age. Many competitions were played on a higher age group, and is often successful. In 2005 Irina Khromacheva as a part of Russian national team lineup has left on her first international competitions - informal European superiority among girls 12 years and under. They took the first place. On the summer of 2006 in a Moscow picked team lineup she became a champion of Russia.

On the winter of 2007 Хромачева has begun to take participation in personal international tournaments for the age under 12 years. The first tournament took place in Denmark. The road has appeared to be not easy – difficult flight, a long waiting for a train on a penetrating wind of railway station. But despite all that Irina has gained 5 victories and became the winner of this tournament. From Denmark Khromachevs have moved to next tournament in Helsenborg (Sweden). Having passed the qualification, Irina successfully came up to a semi-final of these competitions where she has conceded in three sets to a future winner. After that there was a victories in Vilnius (3 category), in Umaga (2), Magalufa (3), Sergiev-Posad (2) following.

Another side of Khromacheva Irina’s talent opens in doubles competitions. The majority of doubles tournaments where she took part in has won: Superiority of Russia, the Cup of the Kremlin (1), Saint Genevieve (1), Tarb (1), Livorno (1) and many other.

Since the second half of 2007 Khromacheva began to play tournaments of the maximum (1) category in the senior age group. The first tournament of this category was well-known Paribas in France, but it has appeared unsuccessful for Irina. In the first round she loose to much more skilled and 2 years older girl in three sets. But Kromacheva nevertheless has got own back on this tournament by reaching the final in the doubles. The next first category tournament was the Cup of the Kremlin which runs in Moscow. Here Irina has has reached semi-final in singles category and has won the doubles. Further followed the tournaments Saint Genevieve (France), Bolton (England) and Tarb (France) where Khromacheva has reached quarter-final, semi-final and quarter-fin and Tarb were in doubles so Irina have gained a reputation as one of the best doubles players.

Her first victory in first victory tournaments Khromacheva Irina was celebrating in Italian Livorno on March, 2008 where she became absolute champion, both in singles, and in doubles category. That victory has allowed her to rise to the second line of the European rating among girls 14 and under. Having left Livorno after a final, Irina played next day two games of tournament of 1-st category in Portugal. Despite weariness, she has got trough to a semifinal in these competitions where she loose in three to a future winner, showing sports character and will.

On the summer of 2007 in lineup of Russia national team she has won the first officiall European superiority among girls 12 and under. Acting as team’s first number, she has played with the strongest girls of her age and has not lost a single match. And already on the winter of 2008 Хромачева has won a European team superiority among girls 14 and under.

At the time Irina Khromacheva is training in Justine Henin Academy in Belgium, near to Brussels. Trainings passing under direction of a skilled Academy trainers with the participation of Carlos Rodriguez - the trainer for the ex-first world’s racquet.

http://www.eng.khromacheva.ru/news/

paul_pipkin
#98 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:40:31 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Dartagnan"]

Irina Khromacheva was born on May, 12th 1995 in Russia’s capital the city of Moscow. Since the childhood she was very cheerfully busy child. Her parents tried to find whenever it was possible a time for various developing exercises, so she has learned to walk early enough. At the age of three years she was signed up for figure skating. But once in the winter she has unsuccessfully fallen on a skating rink and doctors ascertained a shin fracture. After that it was finished with figure skating though till now she’s skating with pleasure, but not quite often. In parallel with figure skating Irina attended an art school. She didn’t came in with the painting well enough but the clay modeling turned out mush better. Unfortunately the going in for tennis didn’t leave a much time to continue art education.

Once in the summer of 1999 Irina’s parents went to Sokolniki park to play tennis and have taken her with them. While taking a break for rest they gave a racquet to Irina, and it she surprisingly quickly begun to hit the ball. On the way back home, passing by the Shiryaevo Pole courts parents not shelving have decided to show their daughter to the tennis trainer. She appeared to be Elena Viktorovna Nikishchihina. Having tested the child, it has appointed the first training for next day. So the tennis life has begun.

After a year of employment Irina has passed in Marina Andreevna Maryenko's group who again recruited the kids after a birth of her son. Training process became much more intensive, while an abundance of courts allowed to spend a lot of time playing. Mrina Andreevna were assisted by her father Andrey Fedorovich who was engaged in children physical training. There was a great amount of work done, wich yielded a good results in the future. They trained the whole day by summer, and for two-three hours after school daily in the winter, with the exception of Sundays. After seven years of employment on Spartak, in the summer of 2006, Khromacheva Irina went over to training in DTSS "Belokamennaya" helmed V.N.Kamelzon where Natalia Rozhkova and Michael Fayngersh became her trainers. The further perfection of her skill passed on a courts of this school.

Her first official competitions Irina played in december of 2003 года - Locomotiv superiority. After training games in a group the competition wasn’t such a big deal. As a result was a first place, the first certificate of merit and the first cup. There was many victories after that, several times Irina won superiority of Moscow on her age. Many competitions were played on a higher age group, and is often successful. In 2005 Irina Khromacheva as a part of Russian national team lineup has left on her first international competitions - informal European superiority among girls 12 years and under. They took the first place. On the summer of 2006 in a Moscow picked team lineup she became a champion of Russia.

On the winter of 2007 Хромачева has begun to take participation in personal international tournaments for the age under 12 years. The first tournament took place in Denmark. The road has appeared to be not easy – difficult flight, a long waiting for a train on a penetrating wind of railway station. But despite all that Irina has gained 5 victories and became the winner of this tournament. From Denmark Khromachevs have moved to next tournament in Helsenborg (Sweden). Having passed the qualification, Irina successfully came up to a semi-final of these competitions where she has conceded in three sets to a future winner. After that there was a victories in Vilnius (3 category), in Umaga (2), Magalufa (3), Sergiev-Posad (2) following.

Another side of Khromacheva Irina’s talent opens in doubles competitions. The majority of doubles tournaments where she took part in has won: Superiority of Russia, the Cup of the Kremlin (1), Saint Genevieve (1), Tarb (1), Livorno (1) and many other.

Since the second half of 2007 Khromacheva began to play tournaments of the maximum (1) category in the senior age group. The first tournament of this category was well-known Paribas in France, but it has appeared unsuccessful for Irina. In the first round she loose to much more skilled and 2 years older girl in three sets. But Kromacheva nevertheless has got own back on this tournament by reaching the final in the doubles. The next first category tournament was the Cup of the Kremlin which runs in Moscow. Here Irina has has reached semi-final in singles category and has won the doubles. Further followed the tournaments Saint Genevieve (France), Bolton (England) and Tarb (France) where Khromacheva has reached quarter-final, semi-final and quarter-fin and Tarb were in doubles so Irina have gained a reputation as one of the best doubles players.

Her first victory in first victory tournaments Khromacheva Irina was celebrating in Italian Livorno on March, 2008 where she became absolute champion, both in singles, and in doubles category. That victory has allowed her to rise to the second line of the European rating among girls 14 and under. Having left Livorno after a final, Irina played next day two games of tournament of 1-st category in Portugal. Despite weariness, she has got trough to a semifinal in these competitions where she loose in three to a future winner, showing sports character and will.

On the summer of 2007 in lineup of Russia national team she has won the first officiall European superiority among girls 12 and under. Acting as team’s first number, she has played with the strongest girls of her age and has not lost a single match. And already on the winter of 2008 Хромачева has won a European team superiority among girls 14 and under.

At the time Irina Khromacheva is training in Justine Henin Academy in Belgium, near to Brussels. Trainings passing under direction of a skilled Academy trainers with the participation of Carlos Rodriguez - the trainer for the ex-first world’s racquet.

http://www.eng.khromacheva.ru/news/

[/quote]

Great stuff, Dartagnan! [H] Insight into the development of a new Russian player is fascinating. I will save all this off--thank you so much for posting.

paul_pipkin
#99 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:41:47 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Another newer Russian has come through qualifying matches at the USO. She is Vesna Manasieva, 20 years old. Her first main draw  opponent will be the Swiss woman Timea Bacsinszky.

paul_pipkin
#100 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:08:06 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Russia also has two girls in the USO Juniors quarterfinals. Daria Gavrilova & Yana Buchina will play matches Friday on Court 10--well away from any danger of camera exposure. (The Yank sportsmeisters must have died during the two years it took them to cut us off from seeing Juniors play via Wimbledon Live...) The pix below are from the French Open as there are none on the USO site. The only picture of a Russian girl is Polina Leykina who American Sloane Stephens dismissed on the first day. Get the "picture"? [:P]

Later on Court 10 the doubles teams of Valeria Solovieva(RUS) / Maryna Zanevska(UKR) & Daria Gavrilova(RUS)[7] / Irina Khromacheva(RUS)[7] will play each other in doubles semifinals. No pix of the others, either.

Daria Gavrilova

Yana Buchina

Teerin
#202 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:55:30 PM(UTC)
Teerin

Is it just me or does Irina Khromacheva remind you of Maria Kirilenko?
shrapi
#201 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 1:56:02 AM(UTC)
shrapi

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

You are right Teerin.

The facial features are quite similar.

I tought it's Kiri as teenie.