logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Environmental issues
sunstreet
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:21:16 PM(UTC)
sunstreet

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 20 post(s)

Hi

i think it´s just great that Maria addresses this subject, not only because i´m a dane and we´re preparing for that environmental conference, but because it´s something i feel deeply about. I think the best thing about this subject are, you can do something to improve it just by yourself.

Alas i do know that it helps a lot when some politicians puts something down i writing, set some goals, that way you can hold them to it, and ask howcome nothing happened.

At the same time one can do so much by oneself. I thought about it on my way home from work this afternoon, i go by bus, so i can read, let my mind drift, look at the colours of the nature change into flaming orange and burning red. This is a beautifull time of year here in Scandinavia.

It got me thinking about all the things i can do to help let future generations share the same beautifull nature some decades down the line.

For instance, take the bike when i go to the grossery, it gives me the exercise, fresh air, and since i have to carry everything i buy back on my bike i won´t be tempted to buy all that extra stuff everyone buys, when they got the luxury of a car.

Change the lightballs from the good old ones i got now to more energy friendly ones. Shut off the electricity to my television, dvdrecorder and so on, instead of wasting co2 on stand by.

I could probably go on if had the time for it, and tried to put everybody to sleep, maybe it´s not much when one person do so, but imagine one million, that would make a difference, and it all begins whit one self.

Maria i really hope you succeed in reaching some people around the globe and thereby get them to do those small adjustments, which as i said, for one person is merely at change of habbitt, but if many persons do so it makes the difference.

For example don´t buy plastic bags at the grocery, bring your backpack and use that to carry food home, this way mother nature don´t have to use a lot of wasted energy digesting plastic bags.

Finally that´s enough of me for today, have to hit the books and some yoga before i go to sleep

take care everyone

Sunstreet.

[:D] 

GerardS
#17 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 2:46:40 AM(UTC)

What is displacing people is the unplanned intrusion of foreign business interests into their lives.  People are being pushed off their land - and ...  before you know it, you're living on the tundra!  

In the US the problems is coal ash and the disposal of liquid CO2 which both present a potential problem.  Natural gas is the way ahead - cleaner and there is lots of it.

Just think of all the energy wasted moving things around the entire globe!  People ought to think locally, and save energy.  Besides, consumption of locally produced commodities is more healthy, because you know what you are getting and people can be held responsible for bad products, which keeps things on the up and up.  Yeah.

mashadabest
#18 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 4:44:28 AM(UTC)
mashadabest

Yeah I agree, it's really good of Maria to get involved in stuff like this.  My mum is really into environmental issues and she does all that with the energy saving lightbulbs and buying organic food and not using as many plastic bags as she used to.  Also we recycle a lot! [H]  Anyways I am sure I will learn lots more about this subject when I start my "Environmental Economics" course next semester at uni - the lecturer said we are gonna learn how to save the polar bears lol.

Dartagnan
#2 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 6:57:12 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Maria Sharapova Seals the Deal

"Climate change impacts us all, everywhere. It is pushing millions of people around the world out of their homes because of droughts, floods, devastating natural disasters, losses in fertile lands and forests. But the poorest are most vulnerable and failure to act will deprive 2.6 billion people of hope and opportunity.

Let the Copenhagen Conference be the turning point to usher in a global green economy. Urge world leaders to seal the deal this December. You can make a difference. Get involved." Maria Sharapova.

http://www.sealthedeal2009.org/

Religious groups pledge to combat climate change

http://www.undp.org/sealthedeal/

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Dartagnan
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:20:02 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

MOBILTELECOMMUNICATIONS / Interview with the Radiologist Professor Dr. Eckel from the Bundesärztekammer (equivalent to the BMA in the UK)

http://next-up.org/pdf/P...HeyoEckelRadiologist.pdf

"The cell nucleus is mutating

Professor Dr. Heyo Eckel is a radiation expert. He is a radiologist, lecturer at Göttingen University, vice chairman of the Health and Environment Committee of the German Medical Association [Ausschusses Gesundheit und Umwelt der Bundesärztekammer], Chairman of the Niedersachsen province charity for "Chernobyl Children". And because he also still has family connections in

Hüttlingen, we spoke with him about electromagnetic radiation.

BY MARKUS LEHMANN HÜTTLINGEN/GÖTTINGEN

For Radiologists there are two areas: the scientific-formal-legal and the emotional.

His scientific conclusion: Electromagnetic, pulsed waves from transmitter masts and mobile phones affect and deform the cell nucleus. Comparable with those of X-rays. As long as the harmlessness of mobile telecommunications is in progress to be proved, everything must be done to protect the population against potential Health damage.

Are electromagnetic waves dangerous for humans?

These waves deform and damage the cell nucleus. That is proven and has resulted in experiments "in vitro" (in laboratory studies). The cell nucleus can also mutate as a result of natural occurrences. However, one has no control over that. But changes due to the influence from electromagnetic waves are definitely documented.

And this technology is deployed across the country?

According to the present state of scientific knowledge there is no alarming health risk. Out of the many thousands of reports, there are only 400 to 500, which comply with purely scientific protocol and thus must be taken seriously.

But one must consider: The mobile telecommunications technology is still relatively new, but yet it is now deployed across the whole country.

Consequential damage is hard to ascertain, not yet and maybe only after years. Like in bygone days with X-Ray radiation.

You are also involved in the Chernobyl problem.....

Yes. And the injuries that result from radioactive radiation are identical with the effects of electromagnetic radiation. The damages are so similar that they are hard to differentiate.

So you are saying, that there is a potential or suspected danger. What is your suggestion?

One must act politically. The politicians refer constantly to safe limits. There must be an agreement with the industry on a minimum distance from base stations, as in Switzerland,. Above all there must be further research on how these electromagnetic waves effect humans. This radiation does not taste, it does not smell. And one does not hear it. It is not discernable through our senses. And, that’s why people are afraid of it.

What do you advise citizens who have fears about a transmitter in their vicinity?

Legally, one cannot do much. One can advise, that people unite together. In order to exert pressure - moral - pressure on the local politicians, the provincial and federal government politicians. Because they have a duty of care to avert presumed or perceived damage to citizens.

April 28, 2009

Florida Governor Charlie Crist signed a proclamation declaring May 2009 as Electromagnetic Sensitivity (EMS) Awareness Month in Florida.

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Nella
#19 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:55:44 PM(UTC)

I think I need help !!  My brain just exploded !! [|-)]
Dartagnan
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:02:18 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

[quote user="Nella"]I think I need help !!  My brain just exploded !! [|-)][/quote]

Oh really. What happened? Why has your brain explosed?

Dartagnan
#15 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 1:15:34 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Medvedev to attend climate conference in Copenhagen

Dec 10, 2009 15:12 Moscow Time

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev is to attend the climate conference in Copenhagen on December 17 and 18, the Kremlin press service said on Thursday. "The president of the Russian Federation will participate in a meeting of heads of state and government within the framework of the UN Climate Change Conference," the Kremlin added.

The UN Climate Change Conference has been on in Copenhagen since December 7.  The delegation of 193 states are taking part in it including Russia.  Earlier presidential aide Arkady Dvorkovich said that Russia is ready to cut emissions of greenhouse gases by 25% to the level of 1990-s but only if a number of conditions is met. First of all G8 countries and BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India and China) should participate in the greenhouse gas emission agreement. Also production technologies, which enable the countries to cut hazardous emissions, should become more available, he said.

Dartagnan
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:35:59 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Japanese studying consequences of Hiroshima bombing

Feb 9, 2010 17:29 Moscow Time

A boy floats paper lanterns to comfort soul of victims of the 1945 world's first atomic bombing in Hiroshima, western Japan. Many victims were floating on rivers in Hiroshima after struggling against heat and pain.

The administration of Hiroshima has decided to carry out another investigation of the scale of the nuclear disaster, caused by the bomb dropped by the United States on August 6, 1945. Recent data show, that it could have inflicted twice as much damage as considered earlier, the local authorities said.

It is not surprising that Japan is back to this subject, since the Hiroshima and Nagasaki tragedy occurred no so long ago, as it may seem. Japan is a nation of long-livers, including those who witnessed the awful tragedy.

The atomic bomb, which exploded at the height of about 600 meters over the city's Chamber of Commerce and Industry, was delivered by a US B29 bomber. The temperature in the area then reached 3-4 thousand degrees, destroying 90 per cent of buildings within a radius of three kilometers. Soon after the explosion, the so-called "black rain" containing radioactive materials fell over Hiroshima. Director of the International Noosphere Institute Boris Rezhabek had this to say on the issue:

"The world has changed dramatically after the Hiroshima and Nagasaki disasters, which showed that the threats of the end of the world are real. The stand taken by the Japanese, particularly by the Nagasaki Mayor, who called for the eliminating of nuclear weapons, has found a response with the people".

Some experts believe that Hiroshima's decision to hold another investigation is not only humanitarian in character. For most Japanese people, 1945 is the year of a national tragedy and they therefore oppose the deployment of American military bases in the country. Several rounds of negotiations between the Japanese government and the US military commanders haven't yet determined the future status of these bases, which mars bilateral allied relations. The investigation is likely to help shed the light on this issue.

Dartagnan
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:33:28 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

14 year-old eco superhero coming to Russia?

Felix Finkbeiner, a 14-year-old German kid from a small town near Munich, is an environmental superstar who leads a global network of child activists whose aim is to mitigate climate change by reforesting the planet.

At the age of nine, Felix launched a campaign to plant 1 million trees in each country to fight climate change. 

His Plant for the Planet organization started as a school project and recently achieved its target of planting one million trees in Germany.

Now, Felix is spreading his message around the world. Plant for the Planet is running in 131 countries.

The next goal of the eco celebrity is Russia. Felix has recently spoken about his plans to come to Russia where, according to him, he’d like to meet and talk with environmental officials joined by Russian child activists, whom he claims to be plenty.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2...erhero-coming-to-Russia/

Originally Posted by: Dartagnan Go to Quoted Post

Maria Sharapova Seals the Deal

"Climate change impacts us all, everywhere. It is pushing millions of people around the world out of their homes because of droughts, floods, devastating natural disasters, losses in fertile lands and forests. But the poorest are most vulnerable and failure to act will deprive 2.6 billion people of hope and opportunity.

Let the Copenhagen Conference be the turning point to usher in a global green economy. Urge world leaders to seal the deal this December. You can make a difference. Get involved." Maria Sharapova.

http://www.sealthedeal2009.org/

Religious groups pledge to combat climate change

http://www.undp.org/sealthedeal/

Dartagnan
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:06:42 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Video message from Felix to Kairo 

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/w...index=2&feature=plcp 

CLEVER CHILDREN 

MORE INFORMATION: http://www.plant-for-the-planet.org/en 

Dartagnan
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2012 8:29:18 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Diesel fuel seeps into New Jersey bay

сша ураган сша Сэнди sandy сша стихия

Over a million liters of diesel fuel have spilled into the New Jersey bay from the facility of the refining company Motiva in an aftermath ofhurricane Sandy, CNN has cited Russell Tibbets of the coast guard Thursday.

Tibbets said the storm ruptured one of tanks. Part of the spilled diesel fuel leaked into the nearby Woodbridge bay. A cleanup operation is currently underway in the area, he said.

Some 100 workers and vacuum trucks have been dispatched to the site to assist in the effort.

The incident was reported by the Shell corp., which has a share in the Motiva company, although there was no information on the spill amount. Shell says at least two tanks were damaged by the hurricane.

The cleanup operation involves the placement of containment booms and clensing the water surface off the oil film.

51 people die in Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy that hit the USA has killed 51 people.

The US super-storm battered 17 states, causing a 20 billion dollar damage to the country.

The hardest hit were New York and the adjacent states.

More than 8.5 American and Canadian citizens were left without electricity as a result.

The works to restore power supply that are currently underway in the centre of New York will possibly continue till the end of next week.

More than 18,000 flights were cancelled on the East Coast of the USA.

Limited NYC subways to reopen Thursday

New York City's subway system will resume operating on a limited basis on Thursday, four days after shutting down ahead of the arrival of Sandy, the massive storm that brought unprecedented flooding to the world's financial capital, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said.

Limited service on suburban commuter rail lines serving Long Island to the east and Westchester County and Connecticut to the north will resume on Wednesday afternoon, Cuomo said at a press conference.

Sandy loses power, death toll keeps growing

Hurricane Sandy, which hit the US eastern coast and Canada, is losing force, but the death toll keeps growing. According to the latest reports, the hurricane has claimed some 50 lives. Over 8 million are suffering electricity outages.

The raging elements claimed more than 60 human lives in the Caribbean countries before making landfall over the US eastern coast and Canada on Monday night.

The overall damage cost is preliminarily estimated at 20 billion dollars, but Japanese economists feel the cost may well rise to 100 billion dollars and gravely affect US economic growth.

The US National Hurricane Centre believes that Sandy has become the biggest-scale tropical cyclone in the North-East Atlantic since tropical cyclones began to be recorded in 1851.

NY City takes measures against possible crime wave

Amid enormous efforts to get back to normal life, New York City authorities are taking measures against a crime wave that could spill over the city.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has promised “a very heavy police presence” in the blackout city areas.

According to reports from the crippled city, police vans and patrol cars with their roof lights on can be seen in the streets.

Though there has been little sign of a crime wave so far, police made multiple arrests in the city on Monday and Tuesday, officials said.

Charges included burglary, criminal mischief and trespassing.

Sandy hurricane spurs beefed up police patrols

New York has begun beefing up police patrols in the wake of Hurricane Sandy’s landfall, which triggered a rise of crime and violence in the city, media report.

Some hundred police troops have been deployed to Coney Island to protect the looted stores and banks, while residents of several blocks in Chelsea, Manhattan, hired private security forces.

New Yorkers fear the storm could lead to a spike in crime and sweeping outages, the media report says.

Russian air-carriers cancel flights to NY

Russian air-carriers Aeroflot and Transaero have cancelled their flights from Moscow to New York due this Wednesday, over hurricane Sandy. The US Delta Airlines has taken similar steps. The situation is extremely involved at JFK Airport in New York.

One runway is non-operational, since its navigation systems have drowned in floods.

Most of New York's alternate airports have been closed.

Sandy made landfall over the US eastern coast on Monday, killing more than 50 Americans to date. Some 8 million people are suffering from power outages.

The damage cost is estimated at 20 billion dollars.

The hurricane earlier hit some Caribbean countries, so the overall death toll makes up some 120.

The cyclone is currently moving towards Canada.

Life in NY gets back on track after Sandy’s impact

Life in New York is getting back on track after hurricane Sandy hit the US eastern coast on Monday night. The after-effects of the hurricane are unprecedented, the authorities say.

Water in the worst-hit lower Manhattan has receded, so the staff of housing and municipal services has got down to eliminating the consequences of the storm.

Groceries, cafes and restaurants have reopened in downtown New York, with the owners jacking prices up for top-selling goods.

According to the latest reports, some 50 people have died as a result of the hurricane.

The damage cost may reach 20 billion dollars, according to preliminary estimates.

50 people killed by Sandy

Officials say the death toll from Superstorm Sandy has reached 50.

More than 8 million are waiting for the power to return. There are widespread outages in lower Manhattan.

Utility officials say it could be days before power is restored and the subway system is running again.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said there was "no timeline" for when the subway would restart, but he hoped buses could begin running again on Wednesday.

All New York's major airports have been closed as their runways are flooded, but John F Kennedy airport and Newark in New Jersey are due to reopen at 11:00 GMT on Wednesday, with a reduced service.

It is likely to be two or three days before power is restored to most of the city, Bloomberg said.

The storm-caused deaths have been reported in Connecticut, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. A Toronto resident, a woman, has also fallen victim to the hurricane.

UN paralyzed by Sandy

The United Nations Headquarters in New York remains paralyzed for the third day, as does the city itself after being hit by hurricane Sandy last Tuesday night. According to the UN press service.

On October 31st all of the meetings of the UN were canceled and the UN’s website is also down.

According to the authorities hurricane "Sandy" killed at least 16 people in New York and over 600,000 households have been left without power.

The restoration of power and transport may take several days.

Obama pledges aid to Sandy victims

U.S. President Barack Obama has pledged to do everything possible to quickly deal with the effects of hurricane "Sandy."

He stated that the difficulties were felt by the entire country and said that assistance would be provided free of red tape and bureaucracy.

Obama also called on US citizens to be generous and start donating to the victims of the hurricane through the American Red Cross.

The US President noted the courage of rescuers and authorities in New York, the city that suffered the most severe consequences of the storm.

Obama cancels campaigning due to Sandy

On Wednesday U.S. President Barack Obama canceled all campaign events due to Hurricane "Sandy" making landfall on the East Coast.

The Democratic candidate was to hold a meeting with voters in Ohio, but decided to stay in Washington to coordinate the actions of the government forces in the aftermath of the disaster.

Obama said his priority now is the early transfer of resources to local authorities.

Meanwhile, rival Mitt Romney, said that his campaign will resume on Wednesday in Florida.

According to his press office the Republican is in Ohio, where he opened an endowment fund to victims of the hurricane.

Earlier, Romney said that he considers it necessary to cut funding for the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Storm-related death toll in northeast U.S. exceeds 30

Hurricane Sandy has killed more than 30 people in seven northeast U.S. states, the Fox News television reports. New York City was the worst hit with at least ten people reported dead, according to New York Mayor Michel Bloomberg.

The total storm-related death toll in the state of New York is 17. Three people were killed in Pennsylvania and three in New Jersey.

One of the reactors at the Salem 1 nuclear power plant in New Jersey was shut down because of the storm after four of its six coolant pumps stopped working.

Earlier, Sandy claimed more than 60 lives in the Caribbean.

At least 10 storm dead in New York

At least 10 people were killed when superstorm Sandy hit New York, city mayor Michael Bloomberg said Tuesday.

"Tragically we expect that number to go up," Bloomberg warned at a press conference. Authorities had previously said there was one fatality from the storm which hit Monday night.

More than 8.1 million homes and businesses were left without electric power across the eastern United States Tuesday with superstorm Sandy still moving across the region, the US government said.

The most extensive outages were reported in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania where millions were plunged in darkness by the storm, the US Department of Energy said.

Voice of Russia, Reuters, TASS, AP, BBC, Lenta.ru, RIA, Interfax, AFP

Dartagnan
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:31:32 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Effects of the global warming: Nothing happens by chance in the nature. We have to pay for the pollution, we created on the earth. 

Venice Goes Under Water (Italy)

VIDEO: http://en.rian.ru/video/20121113/177424835.html

Gawkers swamp storm-hit New York

After hurricane Sandy New York's storm-ravaged Staten Island has faced a new kind of disaster: tourists who travel all the way to New York to get a first-hand look at the remains of storm-damaged homes.

Driving cars through the borough or walking down the streets shooting photos, these people seem to be drawn to the scenes of tragedy as they try to glimpse what they have seen in news reports.Some New Yorkers find it quite annoying.

"Sometimes it's like we're at the zoo. So many people come and stop and stare at this place," a Staten Island resident, Mickey Merrell, says.About 73,000 utility customers in New York and New Jersey remained without power late Sunday, most of them on Long Island. The Long Island Power Authority has been harshly criticized for lagging behind others in restoring power and releasing too little information to consumers.

Sandy-pummeled NYC to receive Russian aid 

After delays caused by paperwork, two Russian flights will leave for New York on Tuesday carrying 27 tons of blankets and other household items to people who lost their homes to Hurricane Sandy.

Sandy is known to have claimed over 100 American lives, including more than 40 in the Big Apple. 

UN to learn lessons from poor preparations for hurricane Sandy 

The UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has said that the United Nations will learn lessons from what errors it made while preparing for hurricane Sandy, which paralyzed the operation of the international organization’s headquarters in New York.

According to him, the UN building basement was the worst damaged by floods, which caused the cooling system to develop malfunction, with the subsequent faulty operation of communications systems.

This proved of special concern to the delegations of the UN member-states, since many of these failed to get timely information about the operation of the UN headquarters.

According to Ban Ki-moon, this was due to the fact that the UN Secretariat had old and no longer valid email addresses of permanent missions.

The United Nations was nonoperational for six days due to the hurricane that hit New York last week. 

Voice of Russia, AP, Interfax, TASS 

Dartagnan
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:41:59 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

FEMA, Red Cross to distribute Russian aid to Sandy victims this weekend 

самолет мчс гуманитарная помощь

The American Red Cross has received Russia’s shipment of humanitarian aid for victims of Hurricane Sandy. Two Russian airplanes delivered 20,000 blankets early Wednesday morning to John F Kennedy International Airport in New York City, which were accepted by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

The blankets were then distributed to storage facilities maintained by the Red Cross, and will be handed out to Sandy victims this weekend in areas worst hit by the storm.

With tens of thousands of residents in the New York area still without heat or electricity the American Red Cross has been doing the best it could to keep victims of Hurricane Sandy warm. The mission may have gotten a little easier as Russia’s Emergency Situations Ministry lent a hand by delivering 20 thousand blankets in an effort to assist in keeping Sandy survivors warm here in the US. Melanie Pipkin – the command leader at the American Red Cross Headquarters in Washington DC told the Voice of Russia the aid has been received.

“The American Red Cross did receive the blanket shipment today. And there have been four of our trailers in the affected area.”

Prior to being delivered to Red Cross storage facilities the representatives from FEMA – the Federal Emergency Management Agency greeted the Russian cargo that flew into John F. Kennedy International Airport at about 1 o’clock Wednesday morning. Lynn Canton – the regional administrator for FEMA – signed off on the cargo personally. She shared her thought with the Voice of Russia regarding the shipment that came from the Russian Federation.

“Bringing the whole community, whether that’s the whole community locally or internationally, is a great joy to see people come together on behalf of their fellow citizens that are really suffering in times like these.”

As report surface of public transportation being restored and bridges and tunnels opening to traffic, there are plenty of areas in the New York region that have yet to recover. Areas such as Breezy Point, Rockaway Beach and Long Beach still don’t have power restored and many don’t have heat or clean running water. With temperature’s dropping as winter approaches Pipkin of the Red Cross says people affected by Hurricane Sandy are in dire need of supplies to stay warm.

“The people in the affected areas have been living in very tough conditions for an extended period of time. And they’ve had to deal with power outages and cold temperatures. So, we are distributing blankets as a way to keep warm, on top this working with our partners to distribute coats and other cold weather gear so that people are comfortable and are taken care of.”

Power in various areas in southern portions of Long Island, Quinn’s and Brooklyn may not be restored for weeks according to New York officials. And with that comes great concern – how soon will victims of Hurricane Sandy feel the warmth. Pipkin says the American Red Cross will distribute the blanket by the end of the week.

“We are planning to distribute the blankets likely this weekend. We are working with our partners, involve at partners. They help us distribute the blankets. Our partners include Catholic Charities and Salvation Army and some more groups that will help us to distribute the blankets in the affected areas.”

In the meantime Russia’s aid mission will depart John F. Kennedy Airport Wednesday night and return to Moscow with hopes that those struggling from Sandy may get a little relief. It also isn’t the first time that Russia has supplied humanitarian aid to the US. During a natural disaster back in 2005, during the Hurricane Katrina the Russian Government delivered more than 60 tons of humanitarian aid. As the saying goes – “from Russia with love”.

Dartagnan
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:48:00 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

BP will pay $4.5 bln over massive oil spill

миллион долларов купюры валюта наркобизнес

British oil company BP Plc pleaded guilty on Thursday to criminal charges relating to its 2010 oil spill and agreed to pay an extra $4.5 billion on top of the tens of billions it is already paying out.

BP said it would plead guilty to 11 felony counts of misconduct or neglect relating to the death of 11 workers, one misdemeanor count under the Clean Water Act, one misdemeanor count under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and one felony count of obstruction of Congress.

BP faces arrests over oil spill disaster

BP is to pay a fine of between $3 billion and $5 billion to settle criminal charges related to the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Some BP workers face manslaughter charges over the death of 11 people in the oil rig explosion, AP quotes an unnamed source.

The same source revealed that BP has already agreed to pay the penalty and details of the settlement are expected to be confirmed later by the US Department of Justice.

The Deepwater Horizon rig located 50 miles off the Louisiana coast sank after an explosion in April 2010. About 206 million gallons of crude oil spewed into the sea causing catastrophic environmental damage.

The oil spill almost killed BP’s reputation of an environmentally-friendly company and pulled its shares down.

BP to pay record criminal penalty in US spill settlement

BP will pay a record criminal penalty to resolve some of its liability for the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster in a deal to be announced by the U.S. Justice Department as soon as Thursday.

The source familiar with discussions did not disclose the actual amount of BP's payment but said it would be the largest criminal penalty in U.S. history.

That record is currently held by Pfizer Inc, which paid a $1.3 billion criminal fine in 2009 for marketing fraud connected to its Bextra pain medicine.

Voice of Russia, AP, Reuters, RT

Dartagnan
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:30:05 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

The sandy hurricane might have created a nuclear disaster in the USA. But this time we were lucky, Sandy was not strong enough to destroy the US nuclear plants. BUT the Global warming is going to create more water for the next time.

Radioactive fish

япония рыба япония экспорт япония радиация япония рыболовство рыбоводство

The presence of radioactive elements in trout caught near Japans’ Fukushima-I NPP is 100 times above normal, the country’s environmental officials said on Saturday.

In June 30 percent of fish caught within 20 km of the damaged station revealed a higher than normal presence of radioactive cesium.

Fishing off the coast of Fukushima Prefecture is currently banned.

Voice of Russia, Vesti

Dartagnan
#20 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:02:47 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

FEMA unpacks Russian aid for NYC Sandy victims

FEMA organizes volunteers from Americorps and U.S. Customs to unload 20,000 donated blankets from Russia, in support of non-governmental agencies providing survivor assistance to those in the area impacted by Hurricane Sandy.

Dartagnan
#10 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 4:27:31 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

NYC Sandy victims start receiving Russian blankets

“Thank you, to the whole Russian Government, I mean that’s amazing. You are actually saving lives because I know some people that actually had a bronchitis and pneumonia because they weren’t staying warm. Believe it or not, you might think that – oh, we just donated blankets – but those blankets may actually save a lot of people’s lives.”

http://english.ruvr.ru/2...eiving-Russian-blankets/

Dartagnan
#11 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 5:39:04 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Originally Posted by: Dartagnan Go to Quoted Post

UN’s new climate change strategy

катар доха оон изменение климата Киотский протокол

November 26 saw the opening of the 2012 UN Climate Change Conference in the Qatari capital Doha. High on the agenda of the 10-day event will be an extension of the Kyoto Protocol and an agreement on allocating funds for the developing countries’ adaptation to climate change.

The conference comes just a month before the expiration of the first commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol that sets binding obligations on the industrialized countries to reduce their emissions of greenhouse gases (GNG). The Kyoto Protocol allows for several “flexible mechanisms”, such as emissions trading, to allow the developed countries to meet their GNG emission limitations by purchasing GHG emission reductions credits from the developing countries.

Under the Kyoto Protocol, signatories collectively agreed to reduce their GNG emissions by 5 percent for the period between 2008 and 2012, something that UN climate change experts say is already not enough. They predict that the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will increase by more than 10 percent in the next seven years. This means that hefty sums should be earmarked for the resolution of the problem that is unlikely to be solved by world economies in the immediate future. As for the Kyoto Protocol, it is yet to be signed by the United States, with Canada, Japan and Russia signaling their unwillingness to take part in the second commitment period of the Protocol. Kirill Lyats, chief executive of Russian company Metaprotses, points to the economic and environmental non-feasibility of the project.

"Many realistically minded experts have already questioned the greenhouse effect, and as far as America is concerned, it understandably signals its reluctance to partake in similar games," Lyats says.

Russia, for its part, could have capitalized on the Kyoto Protocol by selling unused GHG quotas to other countries, experts say, singling out Rosneft’s and Gazprom’s participation in the project. Other Russian companies refrained from partaking in the project, and it is still unclear whether Roisneft and Gazprom managed to benefit from the project, says Mikhail Yulkin of the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs.

"I’m not authorized to comment on the matter," Yulkin says, citing stock exchange prices on Single Social Payment that he explains helps better assess the situation.

Given that both the President and the Prime Minister of Russia have repeatedly referred to the economic non-feasibility of the Kyoto Protocol, Moscow is almost certain to rethink its stance on the topic during the Doha conference.

Ahead of the gathering, preliminary discussions on a new climate change strategy were held in all member countries of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. A last-ditch agreement is expected in Doha later this week.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2...climate-change-strategy/

Dartagnan
#12 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 5:50:42 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

UN’s new climate change strategy

FLOODS + NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS = END OF THE LIFE ON THE EARTH 

Floods cause Panamanian emergency

Floods cause Panamanian emergency

At least five people were killed and hundreds more were affected by flooding caused by heavy rains in Panama according to reports by local authorities.

Hundreds of homes have been destroyed as a result of the rising water levels.

Panamanian President Ricardo Martinelli on Monday introduced a state of emergency in the province of Colon which is on the Caribbean coast.

"It's worse than we thought" he stated on his "Twitter" page.

Voice of Russia, INTERFAX