logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

SANIA MIRZA
sidlovessania
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 6:47:46 AM(UTC)

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

What about comparing SANIA MIRZA AND MARIA ?
Corinne1991
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 7:52:12 AM(UTC)

Why there is two Sania Mirza in the pool ?
zirosky
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 9:14:45 AM(UTC)
zirosky

MARIA KIRILENKO!
Omar
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 10:46:54 AM(UTC)

well i think that sania mirza is more talented than kirilenko cuz the power she can generate is just wow! but if ur talkin abt beauty than kirilenko all the way!
Corinne1991
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2006 10:49:11 AM(UTC)

Maria Kirilenko, because she is my second favorite player & I think Mirza is irregular... :roll:
Just_tennis_girl
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 24, 2006 3:39:35 PM(UTC)

[color=cyan:39596bc101]
i am a girl..but yes..i agree with all of the voters.
kirilenko is a nice girl...
[/color:39596bc101]
Omar
#6 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2006 2:38:40 AM(UTC)

SEOUL, Korea - In Dubai, Martina Hingis was just too good on clutch points, holding off a series of late match surges from Sania Mirza to win in straight sets. And five days ago in a much-hyped Kolkata semifinal she was even more dominant, losing just one game en route to a runaway victory. But on Thursday in Seoul, with the experience of playing one of the all-time greats on those two occasions and without the pressure of playing in front of her country, Mirza delivered, stunning the top-seeded Swiss at the Hansol Korea Open Tennis Championships, 46 60 64.

In addition to her 0-2 record against Hingis, Mirza's chances at victory were doubtful give that in the opening round she was taken to three sets by 378th-ranked Korean wild card Lee Ye-Ra. But that didn't seem to matter Thursday; the Indian teen cleaned up her game and dictated throughout, dropping the first set but roaring back to win in three, an idential pattern to her win over Lee. She was particularly solid on her forehand, which has often gone hot and cold in recent months.

\"My forehand is my favorite shot; I love hitting it,\" Mirza said after the match. \"Since I was a little kid it has always been my best shot. My timing is better on my forehand than my backhand. Last week was last week's match and this week is this week's. I believe every match is different. One match you can be very good and the next, not so good.

\"We've played two other times – third time lucky.\"

\"Her forehand is really amazing,\" said Hingis, clearly impressed by Mirza's play. \"Today's match was pretty difficult. She played very well today, much better than last week. I think I gave her too many chances but that's professional tennis. She was too good this week. She played too well.\"

Mirza's win not only sends her into the quarterfinals of the Tier IV event, it also serves as her third career Top 10 victory, having defeated Svetlana Kuznetsova and Nadia Petrova last year. The Indian up-and-comer has had somewhat of a sophomore slump after her breakout 2005 season, but now, after her first semifinal of the year in Kolkata and the win over Hingis, resets her targets.

\"I believe in short-term goals,\" Mirza commented. \"My ranking slipped, so my goal was to get back in the Top 50 before the end of the year. Hopefully, a year from now I'll be in the Top 20 or Top 10, or maybe even two years from now.\"

Hingis, on the other hand, has enjoyed a stellar 2005 season. She is one of only 14 players this year to have won multiple Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles titles, and her first round win against Dutch phenom Caroline Wozniacki made her just the third player this year to pass 50 singles wins. But she was unable to live up to her top billing here, and was apologetic to the fans afterwards.

\"I had too strong of an opponent today. Hopefully I'll come back next year and do better. I have good memories of playing in Asia. I made the finals in Tokyo seven times. But it was a long trip from India. I had lack of energy because of the travel. I'll wait for her to come somewhere else.\"

In addition to Mirza, four other players booked quarterfinal spots on Thursday, including seeded players Marion Bartoli (No.3) and Ai Sugiyama (No.4). Although their doubles quarterfinal match was postponed to Friday's schedule because of rain, Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suárez were still able to notch wins individually to reach the last eight.

The first three quarterfinalists, No.5 seed Vera Zvonareva, Akiko Morigami and Eleni Daniilidou, all won their second round matches on Wednesday.

All four quarterfinals take Centre Court Friday, beginning with Zvonareva against Daniilidou, then Mirza and Ruano Pascual, Sugiyama and Suárez and Morigami and Bartoli. The lengthiest head-to-head comes between Sugiyama and Suárez, who are tied, 2-2. Zvonareva and Daniilidou are 1-1, Bartoli is 1-0 against Morigami and Ruano Pascual will be facing the young Mirza for the first time.

Mirza is the only player left that can continue the teen-aged domination of the Hansol Korea Open Tennis Championships. A 17-year-old Maria Sharapova won the event in its inaugural year in 2004, while Nicole Vaidisova won it last year at the age of 16. Mirza is 19, turning 20 this November.