logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
US OPEN
YANI- TENIS PLAYER
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2007 3:16:12 PM(UTC)
YANI- TENIS PLAYER

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Let's talk about US OPEN
paul_pipkin
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2007 4:01:49 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1868 time(s) in 1238 post(s)

Okay, Yani. What do you have in mind? My peeve at the USO was the disrespect the commentators directed at the entire lower half of the draw, calling it "lightweight" after Masha was out.

Well, there were the strongest Russian players--the ones who'd just won at Stowe--plus Sveta, a former USO champion. [:P] By the quarters there were still Shahar Peer, always a dangerous contender, and Szavay who had already begun to distinguish herself during clay season. If they thought she was a surprise, it just confirms my conviction  that these alleged pundits don't even  follow the game as much as we do online.

The openly expressed attitude that there was nothing worth watching beyond Justine playing a Williams was an insult to at least half the field. Fans need to take issue with this attitude that only the very top players matter, IMO.

Paul

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
beni
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2007 5:43:40 PM(UTC)
beni

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You can't teach old dogs new tricks!!!
midaso
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2007 11:54:14 PM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)
[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

Okay, Yani. What do you have in mind? My peeve at the USO was the disrespect the commentators directed at the entire lower half of the draw, calling it "lightweight" after Masha was out.

Well, there were the strongest Russian players--the ones who'd just won at Stowe--plus Sveta, a former USO champion. [:P] By the quarters there were still Shahar Peer, always a dangerous contender, and Szavay who had already begun to distinguish herself during clay season. If they thought she was a surprise, it just confirms my conviction  that these alleged pundits don't even  follow the game as much as we do online.

The openly expressed attitude that there was nothing worth watching beyond Justine playing a Williams was an insult to at least half the field. Fans need to take issue with this attitude that only the very top players matter, IMO.

Paul

[/quote]

Well the commentators were right - that bottom half was sh*t and not worth watching...

paul_pipkin
#13 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2007 11:42:18 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="midaso"]

Well the commentators were right - that bottom half was sh*t and not worth watching...

[/quote]

I already pretty much figured where your head is at, midaso. Still, thanks for clarifying that your bone isn't just with Masha. You are not some disappointed "fan". You just stated here what you think of all the Russians and a number of others. Young Szavay isn't worth watching? Please. [|-)]

midaso
#11 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2007 11:47:21 PM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)
YAWN
Philli
#19 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 4:15:37 AM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)

The US Open was a disgrace to tennis. It was manipulated by Sponsors and the Organizers to give Maria an easy run to, at least, the semis, during which time Nike, Canon, and all the other major sponsors could push their Mariaized products at the public.

Next year, with her being way down the rankings, we can expect to see a more balanced fair draw that will make her have to work harder to get through. 

I think the sponsors will think twice about making any big effort in 2008. Right now she is about as marketable as a green golf ball.

Unless, of course, they will fix it so there are only 4 or 5 qualifiers to beat...all ranked below 50. Then she might have a chance.

beni
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 5:00:34 AM(UTC)
beni

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
here we go again with your stupid conspiracy theories. You're as sensible as a square golf ball.
Philli
#20 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 7:58:57 AM(UTC)
Philli

Since she pulled in the Land Rover shoot on the day before she played Radwanska, it just goes to show how irresponsible she is and how much she over estimated her chances of winning.

Can you just imagine the call she got from Nike after her match with Radwanska? It went like this: 

What the F...k where you doing out there today? Did you leave your brain in bed this morning, you dumb bimbo?

We invested millions in this campaign and the organizers even fixed the draw for you. Cant you do anything right?

Have you any idea how much you cost us and all the other sponsors who devoted time to getting you to the finals?

We dont pay you millions to get your ass kicked by an unknown. Now get your sh.it together or you can kiss your career goodbye. We took down Anna, we can take down you as well. 

I know what marketing people are like...a product is only good if it dances to their tune.

Philli
#21 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 8:27:15 AM(UTC)
Philli

And if you dont believe that she is now the property of her sponsors... consider this.

To date, her earnings, on court, this year are 1.38 million dollars.  Her earnings from her sponsors is 23 million dollars.

They pay for her lifestyle. Make no mistake about it.  They want results for their investment.

So, if you think her shoulder is the only problem....think again.

lovecorner
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 8:33:44 AM(UTC)
lovecorner

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
      well philli i have just about had enough from you . I just hope to know why do you hate her that much cuz she is much better than you are . Offcourse she is cuz Maria is the most greatest personalty i have ever seen with Nike or without ,with GrandSlammes or without with a high ranked or without with this much nombers of fans or without .We love her just because she is Maria Sharapova we don"t want more than this So for once more shut up your fucking mouth and stop all these shit.[:#] [:#] [:#]

Philli
#22 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 9:41:16 AM(UTC)
Philli

Yes, she has a lovely personality, she's as american as apple pie.
lovecorner
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 12:29:03 PM(UTC)
lovecorner

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

American, Russian, British,French,Arabian, Egyptian,.......,.......,.........etc.............    there is one Maria Sharapova and we adore this girl what ever her nationality is .

You are the apple of my eyes Maria  [U] [U] [U] 

bla
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 12:29:38 PM(UTC)
bla

[quote user="Philli"]Yes, she has a lovely personality, she's as american as apple pie.[/quote] why do you enter to this forum if you're not a maria fan you dirty phili sexy girl??? lol
paul_pipkin
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 2:06:22 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Aw, I'm sure the high rollers are capable of fixing our own Slam. But I'll garantee you that, if we rigged up the USO on behalf of anybody, her last name was Williams. lol Funny how that didn't work out...

[;)] Paul in Texas 

Philli
#23 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 2:40:26 PM(UTC)
Philli

Paul, the Williams aren't white, but the Media is.
paul_pipkin
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 3:02:14 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

That's not the way it works, Philli. In fact, color makes them somewhat immune to criticism--that's why you see Serena play the race card so often. Our sportsmeisters hoped that African-American athletic prowess could pull us out like in a half-dozen other sports where we dropped the ball. But that hasn't exactly gone down according to plan.

Philli
#24 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 3:29:41 PM(UTC)
Philli

Strange you should say that Paul. I've read on numerous sites where the Williams sisters are getting heavily criticized by the tennis media and commentators, whereas, various mouthpieces like McEnroe, Tracy Austin and all those other experts worship the ground Maria walks on as though she is truly one of thiers, and can do no wrong.  She is marketed as the perfect american white tennis player as though it doesn't matter that she has a Russian passport. 
bla
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 4:22:10 PM(UTC)
bla

[quote user="Philli"]Strange you should say that Paul. I've read on numerous sites where the Williams sisters are getting heavily criticized by the tennis media and commentators, whereas, various mouthpieces like McEnroe, Tracy Austin and all those other experts worship the ground Maria walks on as though she is truly one of thiers, and can do no wrong.  She is marketed as the perfect american white tennis player as though it doesn't matter that she has a Russian passport. [/quote] why do u keep repeating she is marketed as the perfect WHITE... u don't have to be american to be white u know?? I'm white and I'm southamerican..damn!
paul_pipkin
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 4:25:23 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

No. The poor little oppressed black multimillionaries gambit won't fly, Philli. For the last couple of years, the incessant Williams propaganda broke only at the US Open, when Serena expressed her grand contempt not only for Justine but the press as well. When SW was rude to them, even Sports Illustrated could no longer make excuses for her.

In the States, we mostly have to bear the inane drivel of the Three Witches of ESPN, Fernandez, Carillo and Schriver, who are Maria-haters to make you proud. [;)] Every now and then, the board room jerks their leash and they back down a bit, but always crank it up again.

We only hear from McEnroe and Austin when the broadcast networks cut in on a Slam. Tracy may talk like a pet rock, but she tries to be fair. Johnny Mac is, well... [*-)] Johnny Mac. [:P] But, they were both pretty mujch anti-Maria through 2004-2005--then Masha [A] more or less won them around.

[H] Paul