logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages<12345>»
Upcoming Season - 2014
CROUCHING TIGER
#41 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 8:02:59 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 2864 time(s) in 1720 post(s)
http://www.ausopen.com/e...res/schedule/index.html

Masha plays at 07:00PM OZ-TIME (second match after Nadal)

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 1/13/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#42 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 11:19:31 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Social Shack makes Grand Slam debut...

The virtual and physical worlds are set to collide as Australian Open 2014 today launched the Social Shack, a first in Grand Slam history.

Located in Garden Square, the one-stop-shop for all things social has been designed to engage fans with the players and the event on a deeper level than ever before.

This social media mission control will feature live feeds from the tennis world’s most active social media users including Roger Federer, Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal, Maria Sharapova, Novak Djokovic and Victoria Azarenka, encouraging millions of followers on facebook, twitter and instagram to interact with their idols in real time at the Australian Open.

“We want to deepen fans’ connection with the Australian Open,” Manager of Digital and Publishing Kim Trengove said.

“Our social media coverage has always aimed to provide exclusive, relevant and fun content on a range of social platforms. The Australian Open community is vast and the Social Shack is a unique opportunity for fans to get involved in a global social conversation”.

Activities in the Social Shack during Australian Open include

· A virtual Tug of War between social media juggernauts, with fans tweeting support to get their favourite player over the line

· The Social Scoreboard will determine who rules on twitter, facebook, instagram, and which player will be crowned No.1 at tournament’s end

· World No.1 Rafael Nadal will judge the Kia Greatest Fan competition, with the winner taking home a new Kia Soul car. Fans onsite and worldwide will dress up in true Aussie Open style and upload video and photo evidence of their enthusiastic support for their favourite players to win

· Live Cheer will track player trends in twitter conversation match-by-match

Other features to entertain the socially inclined are

· 12-metre LED screen of @australianopen coverage

· Larger-than-lifesize 3D #AUSOPEN hashtag for novelty selfies and photo opportunities

· Multi-media studio for player visits and live tweet-ups

· Live Q&As with players and special guests

· A daily AO Radio social show between day and night sessions

The one million plus fans on the Australian Open facebook page and more than 350,000 twitter followers can expect a lively 24-hour coverage through the Social Shack, and access to exclusive behind scenes moments, score updates, fun stuff and short video highlights.

paul_pipkin on 1/13/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#43 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 11:25:10 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

http://youtu.be/wHP5NxPeiP4

AO Party...

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 1/13/2014(UTC), Alain44 on 1/13/2014(UTC), appaloosa on 1/15/2014(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#44 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 3:18:22 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1878 time(s) in 1248 post(s)
Geez... It ain't just Maria--tennis's ENTIRE "fash" orientation has gotten altogether overblown.
"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
2 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 1/14/2014(UTC), appaloosa on 1/14/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#45 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:57:31 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Sharapova Wins, First Round Ends...

Maria Sharapova turned a tough draw into an impressive victory at the Australian Open, beating Bethanie Mattek-Sands in a two-setter that looked headed for a third.

Sharapova had never lost in five previous meetings against Mattek-Sands and came out firing once again, storming out to a 63 31 lead. Mattek-Sands caught up to 3-all and then 4-all, but served a double fault to drop serve one last time, and the No.3-seeded Sharapova served out a 63 64 win.

When the draw was made, Sharapova definitely had the toughest draw of all the top players - Mattek-Sands had just beaten Agnieszka Radwanska last week. But with a positive ratio of winners to unforced errors, 29 to 28, and negative numbers from her opponent, 18 to 30, Sharapova got it done.

"I knew I had a tough opponent ahead of me," Sharapova said. "Looking at her results in the last couple of weeks and last year and the matches that I've played against her, I knew that it was going to be a tough match. No matter what, I wanted to get through it, and that's what it was about today."

Sharapova was playing her first Grand Slam match since losing in the second round of Wimbledon last June. For one of the all-time Grand Slam greats - she is one of just 10 women to hold the Career Grand Slam - it was a special moment walking back out onto Rod Laver Arena for that return.

"I was happy just to play out there today, despite the heat or anything," the World No.3 commented. "I've been out of the game for a while, so I was just happy to be back in that Grand Slam atmosphere."

Speaking of Radwanska, the No.5-seeded Pole won her opener as well, though it was even more complicated - she was pushed to a third set before finally overcoming Yulia Putintseva, 60 57 62.

Other notable winners were No.2 seed Victoria Azarenka, who made it past Johanna Larsson, 76(2) 62; No.8 seed Jelena Jankovic, who beat Misaki Doi, 61 62; No.10 seed Caroline Wozniacki, who beat Lourdes Domínguez Lino, 60 62; No.11 seed Simona Halep, who routed Polish qualifier Katarzyna Piter, 60 61; and No.13 seed Sloane Stephens, who beat Yaroslava Shvedova, 76(1) 63.

Read more about Azarenka and Wozniacki's wins here, and more about Stephens' win here.

A few lower seeds were picked off on Day 2 as well, with Elina Svitolina beating No.19 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova, 63 63; Marina Erakovic upsetting No.21 seed Sorana Cirstea, 64 76(6); and Garbiñe Muguruza, who just won her first WTA title in Hobart, beating No.24 seed Kaia Kanepi, 62 26 62.

Kuznetsova, a quarterfinalist here last year, was going for the 500th match win of her career.

(toughest draw...seriously???)

CROUCHING TIGER
#46 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 12:00:52 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Interview
Maria Sharapova 14-01-14...

Q. Not a bad first start. What was it like playing in that sort of heat in the middle of the night?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I knew I had a tough opponent ahead of me. You know, the conditions were tough for everyone. I think we got the least today, considering how late we played. But it was still pretty warm out there. Warm enough to have to use some ice vests.

But, you know, looking at her results in the last, you know, couple of weeks and last year and the matches that I've played against her, I knew that it was going to be a tough match.

No matter what I had to do, I wanted to get through it, and I think that's what it was about today.

Q. How did you like the vest?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's cool. Feels good. Makes you a little wet, but that's okay.

Q. I think you were up 4 Love and you had a couple of ball toss issues. Was it the sea gulls above? Were you worrying what they were going to drop?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: If I could use that as an excuse, then sure, go for it.

Q. Were you happy to have the late match today?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I was happy just to play, despite the heat or anything. I've been out of the game for a while, so I was happy to be back in a Grand Slam atmosphere.

Q. Were you watching the matches during the day on TV?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah.

Q. Did you feel sorry in any way for some of the players in the heat?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I noticed their facial expressions. I'm sure it was very difficult for everyone. I think everyone, except the meteorologists and the doctors, seemed to have the same opinion about the weather, so...

frida on 1/15/2014(UTC)
gexton71
#47 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:09:51 AM(UTC)

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website,
1 user thanked gexton71 for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 1/15/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#48 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:43:11 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

http://youtu.be/3So5wpDvboM

O CANADA FANS for GENIE:)

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 1/15/2014(UTC), appaloosa on 1/15/2014(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#49 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:15:28 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1878 time(s) in 1248 post(s)
Sure, gexon71. Anything that made it here is free to copy. If a piece has a link attached, please take that along with the text.
"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
CROUCHING TIGER
#50 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:25:51 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Sharapova Survives Heat & Knapp...

Maria Sharapova edged Karin Knapp in an absolute scorcher at the Australian Open, battling almost three and a half hours in a second round thriller on Rod Laver Arena. With the temperatures reaching 41 Celsius, or 107 Fahrenheit, Sharapova and Knapp slugged it out on center court, Knapp's deep, heavy groundstrokes matching up nicely against Sharapova's flat, penetrating ground game - and after an hour and a half, the two players were locked at a set apiece. Sharapova drew first blood in the third set, building a 3-1 lead, but Knapp caught up to 3-all. Sharapova went up again, 5-3, but Knapp caught up again to 5-all, even saving three match points in the 5-4 game - one with a backhand winner, another with a huge crosscourt forehand that drew an error, and the third from a Sharapova backhand into the net. Game by game, the two kept pressing forward until 8-all. That's when Sharapova pounced one last time, getting the last break of the match and, after fighting off one last break point, closing it on her serve, 63 46 108. It lasted three hours and 28 minutes, the longest match of the tournament so far, beating Daniela Hantuchova's effort from the day before. "There's no way of getting around the fact that the conditions were extremely difficult, and have been like that the last few days," Sharapova said. "But you're really just trying to get through the match in the best possible way. No matter how you're playing, you're trying to make it as safe as possible. "I'm really happy to get through today. I really am. I worked really hard in the last few months and I wanted this match. I didn't play my best tennis; I didn't do many things well. But I got through it." How will she get fresh again for her next round? "Just recovery," she said. "Make sure the body will be ready. Take it easy tomorrow. That's the beauty of a Grand Slam - you have that day in between." And how did she feel about Knapp? "I thought she played really great tennis as the match went on. I've seen some of her matches in the past, but I thought she played really great and played very free with nothing to lose. And she played a lot tougher than maybe other matches that I have seen her play." Despite barely missing out on her first Top 10 win, Knapp was extremely gracious in defeat. "I'm feeling good," the Italian said. "I played a great match. It's normal you want to win at the end because it's so close, but I played a great match and I look forward to doing many matches like this. "It gives me confidence because Maria is in the three best players in the world. I'll try to find this feeling as much as possible and play games like this all the time. It really gives me confidence."

(still have my doubts about the health i these extreme conditions)

appaloosa on 1/16/2014(UTC)
appaloosa
#51 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:07:36 AM(UTC)
appaloosa

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 108 post(s)

..I thought each player was very respectful of the other, having lasted, with great heart through this

marathon together. It is the warriior in Maria that I love most about her. And it led her through to

victory, yet again.

..I'm all for battling the elements in sports. That said, the courts in tennis are closed when it rains

so as nobody slips and breaks an ankle. Consider this: Heat EXPOSURE can be physically damaging. Heat STROKE

not only hurts the body, but can damage the brain. These players are certainly susceptible to that happening.

It's hard to set rules, what with humidity and indirect exposure playing a part. But officials need to look

at this with a much more critical eye and err on the side of caution. I'm reminded of the damage concussions

have done in the absence of knowledge and enough care.

3 users thanked appaloosa for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 1/16/2014(UTC), Alain44 on 1/17/2014(UTC), Alireza on 1/19/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#52 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:38:04 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

{HD} Maria Sharapova vs Karin Knapp Full Highlights Australian Open

http://youtu.be/tJ11OFnpa8c

Congratz to both...

4 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 1/16/2014(UTC), Alireza on 1/16/2014(UTC), appaloosa on 1/16/2014(UTC), Alain44 on 1/17/2014(UTC)
Alain44
#53 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 11:58:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 76 post(s)

The second round was tough, with an unbearable heat, but it’s the result which is important for Maria… The latter has tweeted this quotation :

Ausopen Dr Tim Wood « We evolved on the high plains of Africa chasing antelope for eight hours under these conditions »@AustralianOpen

After this quotation we find in particular this comment :

Novak Djokovic Fans : « He is a fucking idiot. Maybe he should try and play high intensity tennis for 3 and a half hours… » shame

For me, to chase antelope = to hunt. So I agree : this Dr Tim Wood is a « fucking idiot ». What’s important is to preserve the animal life. There are too horrors against animal kingdom : hunting (tigers, lions…), abattoirs, bullfighting… There are, on this planet, too murders with complete impunity.
3 users thanked Alain44 for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 1/17/2014(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 1/18/2014(UTC), Alireza on 1/19/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#54 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:36:36 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Recovered Sharapova Outdoes Cornet...

(PS...i wonder if Sochi(rehearsals or other stuff)could make Masha stop?)

Two days after scrapping through a three-hour, 28-minute thriller in the second round, Maria Sharapova looked much sharper in the third round of the Australian Open, fighting off a set point in the second set and closing out talented Frenchwoman Alizé Cornet, 61 76(5).

Against Karin Knapp in the last round, Sharapova fought through all kinds of negative numbers - 34 winners, 67 unforced errors - in the longest match of the tournament. But with the No.25-seeded Cornet there was only drama at the end, as the No.3-seeded Russian missed a match point at 5-3 in the second set and had to fend off a set point down 6-5 in the tie-break - but she closed fast.

"Of course everyone that played a long match in those conditions is going to feel physically and emotionally tired, but you have to find a way to get through it," Sharapova said. "That's what I did.

"It was quite tough in the end today. She had a set point and a chance to level the match out. And I probably wouldn't want to go to a third set. So I was happy that I was able to finish it off in two."

Sharapova's numbers on the match were tidier this time, too - 35 winners, 35 unforced errors.

"I think I can take a few positives from this match. One being the fact that I was able to win it not playing my best tennis. There are definitely things I'm going to have to improve and do better moving forward, because it's only going to get tougher, but I'm happy I took my chances out there today."

It didn't take long for Sharapova to work on things - she hit the practice courts right after the match.

"I just didn't have a great rhythm. It's sometimes nice to come off the court and groove, just get a good hit on the ball. The conditions were a little bit tricky from one end, and the balls were flying a bit.

"I just wanted to get a good rhythm again."

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
Alain44 on 1/19/2014(UTC), Alireza on 1/19/2014(UTC)
Alain44
#55 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2014 1:59:31 AM(UTC)

Ana Ivanovic has defeated Serena Williams !!

But Maria will play against Cibulkova and this match will be a tough match. Maria won three matches against her and Cibulkova won two matches...
2 users thanked Alain44 for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 1/19/2014(UTC), Alireza on 1/19/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#56 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:11:10 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

BEAUTY (finally) KILLED THE BEAST !!!

Such was Serena Williams' dominance in 2013 that there was buzz in the tennis world about her potentially winning a calendar year Grand Slam in 2014 - but Ana Ivanovic put an abrupt end to that buzz, stunning the World No.1 in the fourth round of the Australian Open.

The No.1-seeded Williams didn't look her best - off the ground she had five winners to 25 unforced in the match - but Ivanovic was as sharp as ever, even after falling behind a set, and after Williams sent one last shot beyond the baseline the No.14-seeded Serb had the biggest win of her career, 46 63 63.

"I actually believed," Ivanovic said. "I had some confidence coming into today's match. I really did certain things extremely well, and I kept her under pressure throughout the whole match, I felt.

"I just think I stayed in the moment physically. I didn't think much about the occasion and who I was playing, because it can get overwhelming. I just stuck with my things and it really paid off."

Having never won a set against Williams, winning a whole match in one shot is a huge step forward.

"It's hard. I had to remind myself all the time to stay in the moment. Because there were moments where it could have gone either way. But I believed in my game and stepped up when I needed to.

"I had to break a fourth round spell - what better place to do it than here against such a champion?"

Ivanovic actually hasn't lost a match all year. She won her only lead-up event in Auckland a few weeks ago, and during that run she actually beat Venus Williams - that came into play against little sister.

"I kept thinking and going back to that match against Venus," Ivanovic said. "I felt in Auckland Venus was serving a lot faster than Serena today, and that definitely gave me confidence for today's win."

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
Alireza on 1/19/2014(UTC), paul_pipkin on 1/19/2014(UTC), Alain44 on 1/20/2014(UTC)
Alireza
#57 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2014 6:39:53 AM(UTC)
Alireza

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 965 time(s) in 508 post(s)
Wow, unbelievable!! Ana beat The Beast! Really happy, finally Serena loses in one tournament and gets out! Yeaah,
Congrats to Ana's fans! Ana did AWESOME :)) ;)
Persian Gulf FOREVER -Arabs can not change the history, they can't cheat-
4 users thanked Alireza for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 1/19/2014(UTC), appaloosa on 1/19/2014(UTC), paul_pipkin on 1/19/2014(UTC), Alain44 on 1/20/2014(UTC)
appaloosa
#58 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:55:29 AM(UTC)
appaloosa

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 108 post(s)

Yes, Alireza. Ana's win is a wonderful thing. But the williams sisters always have an excuse.

Pick one, any one! venus' excuse for dropping out of the doubles (leg?) has now been determined to be bogus.

serena? bad back (or how about taped ankles). As one follows this sport, it becomes clear that

everyone is hurting to one degree or another.

Pam Shriver (past player, current questionable commentator)says everybody does that (lies). I say BULL.

I am very happy for Ana's win. But now she's up against Genie. Any conflict? Not me.
4 users thanked appaloosa for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 1/19/2014(UTC), Alireza on 1/19/2014(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 1/19/2014(UTC), Alain44 on 1/20/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#59 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 1:50:13 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Cibulkova Sends Sharapova Out...(not really a surprise...off to SOCHI:)

Australia - A day after Ana Ivanovic's shocker over Serena Williams, Dominika Cibulkova kept the upset bug spreading, outdoing Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open. There was foreshadowing - not only had Cibulkova beaten Sharapova at a Grand Slam before, but she also looked fantastic in the previous round, crushing No.16 seed Carla Suárez Navarro, 61 60. The No.3-seeded Sharapova looked sharp in the first set, keeping her numbers even - 11 winners, 11 unforced errors - but the match swung completely in the other direction from the start of the second set, as Cibulkova's level shot up and Sharapova's slipped down. The No.20-seeded Cibulkova stormed out to a 5-0 lead, eventually closed out the set, 6-4, and raced through the third set to seal it, 36 64 61. Sharapova's numbers in the last two sets combined weren't her best - 16 winners, 34 unforced. "I went on the court and was more than 100% sure I could really beat her," Cibulkova said. "I had beaten her at a Grand Slam before. I had done it before. She knows me and how I play, but I also knew that she knew it would be a tough match. I was prepared to give 100% on the court today." Cibulkova is now through to her first Australian Open quarterfinal, completing her set - she had already been to the quarterfinals or better at all the other majors. Her best result was the semifinals of the French Open in 2009 - she beat Sharapova in the quarterfinals before falling to Dinara Safina. "This is what I'm really, really happy for, you know, I finally, finally made it here," Cibulkova said. "I had a great pre-season in December and I'm very happy I could show it on the court. It feels amazing." Sharapova, who was treated for a hip strain between the second and third sets, talked about the loss in her post-match press conference - and she was very gracious when it came to crediting her opponent. "I have a bit of a strain in the hip area, the trainer told me, but those aches and pains are expected when you spend a long time on the court, and you just have to play through it," Sharapova said. "I haven't been playing the best tennis of this tournament, but I found ways to win the last two matches.

Alain44 on 1/20/2014(UTC)
Alain44
#60 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 1:55:01 AM(UTC)

Cibulkova won against Maria and I am very disappointed. It’s sad. In front page, we can read this :

« Maria's run at the Australian Open in Melbourne is over as she lost 6-3 4-6 1-6 in two hours and twelve minutes to no.20 seed Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia in the fourth round.

Maria raced into a 5-2 lead in the first set and was broken serving for the set but broke Cibulkova in the next game to take the first set 6-3 in 39 minutes.

In the second set, Cibulkova raced into a 5-0 lead. Maria took the next four games but it wasn't enough as Cibulkova won the next game to take the set 6-4 in 42 minutes. At the end of the second set, Maria took an injury time-out and when play resumed, Cibulkova built a 5-1 lead and took the final game and match after a long deuce game.

Maria's next tournament is the Open GDF Suez in Paris, France, which begins on 27th January. »

Still an injury ?

Next tournament in Paris. I don’t thought that it was before Sotchi. (I believed that it was in march.) By then I can’t to go to Paris. (I live near Spain, in the Atlantic Pyrenees.) What a pity !

1 user thanked Alain44 for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 1/20/2014(UTC)