logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Asian tournaments
CROUCHING TIGER
#64 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 12:37:40 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 2862 time(s) in 1718 post(s)
Wonder why that is, Hollandertje LOL

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
CROUCHING TIGER
#66 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 12:48:25 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Great start for lovely China girl:)

Having lost four of her six previous meetings against Daniela Hantuchova, including their last two meetings at Eastbourne in 2011 and the Olympics in 2012, the No.4-seeded Li came out looking fierce and focused, winning the first 10 games of the match to build a somewhat surprising 60 40 lead. It wasn't over - Hantuchova won four of the next five games to close that 4-0 second set deficit to 5-4 - but Li went up 40-0 in her last service game and eventually won it on her third match point, 60 64.

"I had a pretty good start of the match until 4-0 in the second set," Li said. "I saw it was 4-0 and I was like, 'Okay, maybe I should relax a little bit.' But at this level I cannot do this. You see the score in the second set. Relaxing a little bit just gives your opponent all the time they need, and a chance to get back into it. But I'm happy I could win in the end and at least pass through the first round."

It may have been a close encounter towards the end, but for most of the match Li looked spectacular - how did she lift her game so much against a player who has given her so much trouble in the past?

"She has very flat strokes, and yesterday when I was practicing, Carlos emphasized I have to lower my body a little bit," Li said. "That's probably why the strategy I had was in line with Daniela's style."

There's a different aura around Li this year in Beijing - she is already one of the qualifiers for the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships - Istanbul. Last year she qualified after reaching the semifinals.

"Last year, I knew I was qualified for the WTA Championships after the China Open, but this year I don't have too much pressure like I did last year," Li said. "And a lot has changed since last year too. A year has passed. And I know now that the last match I played will be very different to the next one. I've learned that there's really no comparison between two matches - every match is a new match."

Li's match against Hantuchova actually wasn't her first match of the tournament - she played against ATP World Tour World No.1 Novak Djokovic in an exhibition match on Saturday, and she won (although she was given a 30-0 lead in every game they played). She was asked about it on Sunday.

"Even before the exhibition match I didn't know how the match would be played," Li said. "It was a very good opportunity. Djokovic is very funny - he's always making jokes and doing funny performances. But everybody always enjoys those performances - everybody enjoys the very relaxed atmosphere."

Next for Li is either Sorana Cirstea or Bojana Jovanovski, who play their first round match on Monday.

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/30/2013(UTC), Alireza on 9/30/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#67 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 10:53:07 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

SURPRISE !!!

Andrea Petkovic turned back the clock and took out one of the top players in the world on Monday, ousting No.2 seed Victoria Azarenka in the first round of the China Open, 64 26 64.

Watch highlights, interviews and more video from Beijing right here on wtatennis.com!

The match had several momentum swings - first Petkovic went up a set and a break at 64 21, then Azarenka battled back to take the second set and go up 2-0 in the third, then the two found themselves locked at 4-all in the third. But one last push from Petkovic put her over the finish line, as she snuck out the last two games at love - a love break, then a love hold - to end it after two hours and 22 minutes.

"I'm very happy with my performance," Petkovic said. "I was happy with my movement and my serve for the most part, and I managed to get a lot of balls back very deep and very strong. Parts of the match were a really, really good level - some parts I lost a bit of energy, but overall I'm very happy."

Petkovic always seems to lift her game in Beijing - she reached the biggest final of her career, in fact the only Premier-level final of her career, right here in 2011 (falling to Agnieszka Radwanska).

"I always play really well here," Petkovic said. "I lost in the first round here last year but I was playing Jelena Jankovic, who was playing really well that day. I really like the courts - I really like the atmosphere and center court. I don't know, it's just a tournament that goes with my play somehow!"

Next up for Petkovic is another former China Open champion, in fact the only two-time champion in the tournament's 10-year history, Svetlana Kuznetsova. Kuznetsova beat Hsieh Su-Wei earlier on, 61 61.

"I've played her a lot of times, three or four times maybe, and I've had some bad losses but some wins also," Petkovic said. "I just have to focus on my performance and hopefully play another good match."

Kuznetsova and Petkovic are tied in their head-to-head series, 2-2.

Meanwhile, Azarenka wasn't happy with her performance at all - she talked about it in her presser.

"It was an awful match and a very bad performance from me, so there's not much to say about it," the World No.2 commented. "It happens once, twice a year to every player, and it happened to me today."

Azarenka also lost her first match at last week's Toray Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo, to Venus Williams.

"If I did it all again, I probably should have taken a longer break and prepared myself better. I don't feel like I was ready to play - to be 100%, the preparation wasn't enough, I cannot deny that. It's my mistake for not paying enough attention after the US Open how I managed my time and managed my health.

"But you cannot put yourself down too much. In the end the important thing is how you come out of it. I'm going to go back, reevaluate and practice more. I just needed more preparation, and that's what I'm going to get now before the last tournament. I'll just look at the positives. I have three weeks now."

Petkovic scored her second win over a Top 2 player (also No.1 Caroline Wozniacki at 2011 Miami).

4 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/30/2013(UTC), frida on 9/30/2013(UTC), Alireza on 9/30/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 9/30/2013(UTC)
Brebis
#65 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 2:13:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)

CROUCHING TIGER;327112 wrote:
Wonder why that is, Hollandertje LOL
  Hi Tiger, Alles goed ?  Ik ben op het moment tennis en Maria zat !! Ben bang dat haar drive om te spelen een beetje weg is en een schouderprobleem aandraagt om problemen met de coach en motivatieissues hiermee verbloemt.  Maar eens zien wat er de komende tijd gaat gebeuren. Het goede nieuws vandaag is dat Azarenka verloren heeft.

1 user thanked Brebis for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 10/1/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#68 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:58:35 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

This time Sloane gets away with it, but Genie played already 3 matches in the quallies !!!

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
Alireza on 10/2/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#69 Posted : Wednesday, October 02, 2013 12:28:48 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA...

Li Na continued to shine in front of her home fans, storming past an in-form Bojana Jovanovski. Petra Kvitova and Angelique Kerber followed up their fantastic week in Tokyo with wins a Li Na continued to shine in front of her home fans at the China Open on Tuesday, storming past Bojana Jovanovski - who had won 15 of her last 16 matches - in just 53 minutes, 60 61.

Watch highlights, interviews and more video from Beijing right here on wtatennis.com!

The No.4-seeded Li came out of the blocks with eight games in a row, not losing more than two points in any of those games, and after Jovanovski held in the ninth game, the World No.5 ran away with it.

"To be honest, I'm very satisfied with my form so far, including mental and physical," Li said. "I'm very happy. This year I'm feeling very relaxed at this tournament, unlike last year, when I had to make the semifinals to qualify for the WTA finals. I told my coach this China Open is like a bonus for me.

"I'm just going to try to enjoy every match this year and we'll see what happens."

One of the questions that follows Li around the world is why China has had such big success in the women's game but not in the men's game yet - but little by little the Chinese men have been creeping up the ATP World Tour rankings too, and on Tuesday, Wu Di - who is friends with Li - nearly sprung a big upset, winning the first set on John Isner and leading 4-1 in the second set tie-break before falling.

"He told me if he wins his first round match he would treat me to dinner for one week; if he lost he would treat me for two days," Li said. "After he took the 4-1 lead I thought, 'Well, he's going to make it. Then I have free dinner for one week.' But when he lost the match I asked him, 'Did you lose because you were afraid to treat me to dinner?' Of course, it was just a joke. We were laughing about it.

"But I think he had a really good performance today. He's not as experienced as his opponent today, Isner. I'm sure that he will have a better performance in his next match in the Shanghai Masters."

Other top seeds winning were No.6 seed Caroline Wozniacki, who beat Monica Niculescu in straight sets for the fifth time in five career meetings, 63 61; No.7 seed Angelique Kerber, who beat Laura Robson, 61 62; No.9 seed Petra Kvitova, who rallied from a set and a break down to beat Varvara Lepchenko, 26 62 60; and No.10 seed Roberta Vinci, who beat China's Zhang Shuai, 36 63 61.

"She's ranked Top 12 and is a really experienced player," Zhang said of Vinci. "No matter whether it's singles or doubles, when I play against Vinci it's really tough because it's really difficult to find a good opportunity to win points. To be honest I'm pleased with my performance, because compared with how I've performed with her before, I was much better today. I just need to take my opportunities more.

"She has a good backhand slice. And she changes the rhythm well - in the second set she tried to be more aggressive, which made it even tougher. At the important moments, I couldn't keep up with her."

Other winners were No.11 seed Sloane Stephens, No.12 seed Carla Suárez Navarro and Maria Kirilenko. It was a revenge day for Stephens, who beat Canadian qualifier Eugenie Bouchard in a see-saw three-setter, 61 16 64 - Stephens had just lost to Bouchard in another three-setter in Tokyo.

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 10/2/2013(UTC), frida on 10/2/2013(UTC), Alireza on 10/2/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#70 Posted : Wednesday, October 02, 2013 11:02:28 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

LOVELY CHINAGIRL WILL CRUCH KVITOVA !!!

The No.9-seeded Kvitova was the first to move through, beating No.5-seeded Sara Errani in a two-hour, 27-minute grinder, 64 67(3) 63. Kvitova looked headed for a straight set win as she built an early 64 31 lead, with Errani battling back to take the second set in a tie-break - but Kvitova's big hitting was just too big in the end for the Italian, who fell behind 4-1 in the third and never really recovered.

"I felt like I played very well at the beginning of each set, but then there were some turning points and she would start playing better, and I would make some easy mistakes," Kvitova said. "It was really up and down today - a big fight - but I expected that. I just kept fighting and I'm happy to win today."

The match numbers defined a stark contrast in playing style - Kvitova had five times the winners (65 to 13) and just over three times the unforced errors (61 to 19). Luckily for the Czech those ratios fell on the right side, and she maintained her mastery over Errani, now 6-0 in their head-to-head series.

Just nine minutes after Kvitova won it was the No.4-seeded Li's turn to win, edging No.13-seeded Sabine Lisicki in a very tight two-setter, 75 64. Things looked dicey at the end as Lisicki fought off Li's first match point with a huge forehand winner and ended up holding two break points to even the match at 5-all in the second set - but Li stayed calm and managed to close the match out in that game.

"It's always tough to play against her - she has a huge, big serve, and also forehand," Li said. "She broke my rhythm a little bit today. I need three or four shots to get my rhythm, and sometimes she just comes and shoots the ball in one shot. So I was a little bit shocked, but I'm really happy to win.

"I don't think either of us played to the best of our ability, but we worked really hard on the court, and I'm very glad to see that no matter how close the score was, I stayed calm and controlled myself."

Li leads Kvitova in their head-to-head series, 3-2. The pair is tied 1-1 on hardcourts, though.

"I'm looking forward to it - I like Li Na, we are good friends," Kvitova said. "She's a great player, so I'm looking forward to a great match and a great fight, and I hope we can show our best tennis."

"I just finished today's match, so I'll just enjoy this victory and won't think too much about my next opponent," Li said. "I have a day off tomorrow and my coach and team will give me full preparation."

The other six third round matches - including those of fellow Top 10 players Serena Williams, Agnieszka Radwanska, Caroline Wozniacki and Angelique Kerber - all take place on Thursday.

Alireza on 10/2/2013(UTC), frida on 10/3/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#71 Posted : Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:11:28 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

WHAT SAY'S THAT WRITING ON THE WALL ? She's loosin' it...KIRI almost did her loose it...DAVAI !!!

Serena Williams and Maria Kirilenko are two of the most revered players at the China Open - they were the tournament's first two winners after all, Williams in 2004 and Kirilenko in 2005. And on Thursday they squared off for a place in this year's quarterfinals, with Williams prevailing.

From the head-to-head, one might have assumed it was a mismatch - Williams had beaten Kirilenko in all seven previous meetings, and by 62 60 and 63 61 scorelines in their two previous meetings this year. But this time it was as close as could be, with Kirilenko having big chances in both sets.

Neither player could break early in the match, with Kirilenko becoming the first to draw blood with a break at 4-all, serving for the first set at 5-4 - she even had 40-0 and triple set point. But Williams fought them all off and ended up winning the set on a Kirilenko double fault after 50 minutes of play.

Kirilenko went ahead again in the second set, breaking for 3-2 then consolidating it for 4-2, but the No.1-seeded Williams clawed her way back into it again, closing the match out in straights, 75 75.

"I just thought, 'What else can I do except fight for this point and the next point,'" Williams said of triple set point in the first set. "Maybe I got lucky a little bit - I just started to relax and kind of swing and not think about it too much out there. I'm obviously just really happy to get through this match today."

The match numbers were pretty even on the unforced errors side - Williams 25, Kirilenko 26 - but the World No.1 hit her targets far more throughout the match, slamming 31 winners to Kirilenko's 20.

Williams got her 70th match win of the season - before this year her personal best for a season was 58.

Williams is the fifth player since she herself turned pro in 1995 to hit 70 - who are the other four?

Also among the early winners was No.8 seed Jelena Jankovic, who got through in much simpler fashion, beating No.12 seed Carla Suárez Navarro, 60 60. Suárez Navarro had game point in two of the games - one in the first set, one in the second - but never converted during the 59-minute rout.

It was Jankovic's third 60 60 win at the WTA main draw level, the other two times being at Budapest in 2004 (against Ludmila Cervanova) and right here in Beijing in 2007 (against Virginia Ruano Pascual).

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
frida on 10/3/2013(UTC), paul_pipkin on 10/3/2013(UTC), Alireza on 10/5/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#72 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 10:24:20 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Believe me...this HURTS A LOT

CROUCHING TIGER
#73 Posted : Friday, October 04, 2013 10:29:12 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Imagine the homecrowd...sad...sad...

For the 35th time this year, Petra Kvitova's match went to a third set. And again she pulled out a win. Unfortunately for the fans in Beijing, Li Na was on the losing end of that match.

By beating the crowd's favorite 4-6, 6-2, 6-4, Kvitova won her 24th three-set match of the season and pushed herself into the semifinals at the 2013 China Open.

In a match that featured two top 10 players, the score didn't quite do their battle justice. The stat lines were nearly identical and Kvitova's victory evened up the career head-to-head record between the two at three wins apiece.

Li managed to save a match point late in the third set and gave herself an opportunity to regain the break, but after going up 15-0 in the 10th game she lost four straight points to end it.

Both players struggled with their serve throughout the afternoon, as the two combined for 20 double faults and 12 breaks. Luckily for the Czech lefty, she came out with an advantage in both categories.

Eight games went to multiple deuce points. Change a few of the bounces and this match could have gone the other way.

"…I think my performance in this match was generally good," Li said. "I think she has better control in terms of the crucial ball." Kvitova agreed with Li when asked about the match's key points.

"I tried to play aggressive the key points, too, so probably she was right," Kvitova said.

When you've played 35 three-set matches this year (leading the WTA), including in all three rounds of the China Open, it pays to have the right outlook. Kvitova spoke about that outlook in her post game press conference, saying, "When I lost the first set, I still was thinking that I (would) go to the third, so I was still positive."

That undoubtedly helped her in the second set as she won four straight games to knot the match at one set each. She carried a grinding approach to her game into the third as well as she went on a similar streak to take charge.

She got some unexpected help from a group of spectators as well, who came prepared with signs and chants of "Let's Go Petra!" The home crowd suddenly had some other voices to contend with, and raised their level of enthusiasm throughout the match in support of Li. Ultimately though, it was the Kvitova fans that went home happy.

With the kind of history these two have, there is sure to be another chapter to this hard-fought rivalry. The two are also close friends, which adds another layer to their story.

Kvitova declined to comment on what she said to Li at the net post match, mentioning only that they wished each other well and that they would meet again in Istanbul for the WTA Championships. Li has qualified for the tournament and Kvitova sits at No.7. The top eight players make it to the championship.

She will move on to play Jelena Jankovic in the semifinals. And at this stage of the game, any type of win is a good win.

"Yeah, I think it was really a great match from both of us. It was very tight and every game was very close. I'm just happy that I’m through," Kvitova said.

4 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
frida on 10/4/2013(UTC), paul_pipkin on 10/4/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 10/4/2013(UTC), Alireza on 10/5/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#74 Posted : Sunday, October 06, 2013 9:17:08 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Cara Black and Sania Mirza put the finishing touches on a breakthrough first two weeks as a team on Saturday night, following last week's triumph in Tokyo with another title in Beijing...CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Cara Black and Sania Mirza put the finishing touches on a breakthrough first two weeks as a team on Saturday night, following last week's triumph in Tokyo with another title in Beijing.

Having never played together beforehand, Black and Mirza won the Premier-level Toray Pan Pacific Open last week and followed it up with the Premier Mandatory-level China Open this week, dusting off the run in the Chinese capital with a 62 62 win over Vera Dushevina and Arantxa Parra Santonja.

The No.8-seeded Black and Mirza didn't lose a set all week, which included a straight set win over No.1 seeds Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci in the semifinals - the co-No.1 doubles players in the world.

"We only started playing together last week - we try to win, of course, but we never expected to win, especially since we started at two of the biggest tournaments," Mirza said. "To play so well with a new partner and to win two titles on the trot, it doesn't happen every day - it's tough to top this one.

"We'll try to top this, though. We'll try to do an off-season together, maybe in India, work on some things together. Because in tennis you always have to keep improving to keep winning, and always trying to take it to the next level. It's something we both want. We're going to make a collective effort."

"We couldn't have asked for a better start," Black said. "We'll be playing together next year, so this is a pretty good start for that. We're looking forward to giving it a shot and playing the whole year.

"We're going to have a good off-season. I'd like to improve all around, especially my serve and things like that, play on the ground a bit better - it'll be fine tuning, which will be a lot of fun to work on."

Black has now won three WTA doubles titles since coming back as a mom this year, at Auckland (with Anastasia Rodionova) and now Tokyo and Beijing (with Mirza). She has 57 WTA doubles titles to her name, making her 13th on the all-time list - Martina Navratilova leads that list with an incredible 177.

Mirza now has five WTA doubles titles this year - Brisbane and Dubai (with Bethanie Mattek-Sands), New Haven (with Zheng Jie) and Tokyo and Beijing (with Black). She has 19 WTA doubles titles.

Additionally, Mirza is the first player this year to capture five WTA doubles titles.

Dushevina and Parra Santonja were playing in their biggest final, together and individually, at the Premier Mandatory-level event. It was just their third tournament together, but one of their previous attempts together could have been some foreshadowing - they made the semifinals here back in 2010.

Alireza on 10/8/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#75 Posted : Sunday, October 06, 2013 9:20:21 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

...with that mysterious 3th "player":)

paul_pipkin on 10/6/2013(UTC), Alireza on 10/8/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#76 Posted : Tuesday, October 08, 2013 3:46:59 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Some news from behind the Rising Sun...

Monica Puig knocked out defending champion Heather Watson in the first round of HP Open on Monday.

Watch live action from Osaka all week on WTA Live powered by TennisTV!

Breaks at the tail end of each set proved enough for No.8 seed Puig to notch up her 39th victory of the season, 64 64. Next up for the Puerto Rican is Japanese wildcard Kurumi Nara, who saw off Caroline Garcia, 63 62.

Watson, who 12 months ago in Osaka won her first WTA title, was left to rue several missed opportunities, most notably losing five games in a row after opening up a 3-0 lead at the start of the second set.

"I'm very happy with my performance today," Puig said afterwards. "Heather is defending champion and is such a tough player to face as she defends so well.

"It was close all the way and it's great to get the win and finish the match how I did."

Elsewhere, there was better news for the draw's other former champion, Samantha Stosur, a 64 62 winner over Johanna Larsson. Stosur won the tile at the Utsubo Tennis Center four years ago and, after an evenly contested opening set, ran away with the second, reeling off the final four games of the match.

Also advancing to the second round was Misaki Doi and the in-form Eugenie Bouchard.

Having started the year well outside the Top 100, Bouchard began the week at a career-high No.35 on the back of thirteen wins in her past eighteen matches. She continued this rich vein of form against Varvara Lepchenko, who she brushed aside, 63 60.

Doi was similarly untroubled, defeating Sílvia Soler-Espinosa, 61 62, to set up a second round meeting with evergreen compatriot Kimiko Date-Krumm or No.7 seed Laura Robson.

Alireza on 10/8/2013(UTC), paul_pipkin on 10/9/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#77 Posted : Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:57:55 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

More OSAKA...

Former champion Samantha Stosur moved into the quarterfinals of the HP Open on Wednesday with a straight set win over Swiss qualifier Belinda Bencic.

Watch live action from Osaka all week on WTA Live powered by TennisTV!

Since winning the title in Carlsbad in August, Stosur has struggled for form and is in danger of finishing the year outside the Top 20 for the first time in five years. But despite a slow start, she looked in control throughout against Bencic, eventually running out a 64 62 winner in little over an hour.

"I feel good," Stosur, the Osaka champion in 2009, said. "I'm excited to be in the quarterfinals again here and overall I'm very happy with the way I played today."

Bencic, competing in just her fourth WTA main draw, is a relative newcomer at this level, although she was not an unknown quantity to Stosur.

"She won junior French and Wimbledon, so to win two Grand Slams as a junior she's showing some very good potential," Stosur said of her 16-year-old opponent. "I think she has a good game and is a smart player - she hits the ball very well when she's in position and she anticipates very well.

"I was expecting a tough match. We practiced last week, which was maybe good for me as we'd never played before and it gave me a chance to see some little things that made the match a bit easier."

Joining Stosur in the quarterfinals will be No.5 seed Eugenie Bouchard, who continued her excellent end to the season with a 62 62 win over Luksika Kumkhum.

Twelve months ago, Bouchard lost to Kumkhum in the final round of qualifying but was never in danger of suffering a similar fate this time around, breaking serve six times en route to her 37th win of the season.

"I definitely think it was closer than the score. She's very tricky to play and I actually lost to her last year in qualies so I was looking for my revenge," Bouchard said. "It was tough because it was raining this morning and I was rushed and didn't get to hit as much as I would have liked. But that's just part of the job and was an extra challenge.

"I think I'm playing well but I still have a lot of things to improve and these are good tournaments to try and work on my game. I want to end the season on a good note and then start getting ready for next year."

Next, Bouchard will face another qualifier, Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, who defeated Vania King, 26 63 61. Also advancing was home hope Kurumi Nara after she upset No.8 seed Monica Puig, 75 76(4).

Alireza on 10/9/2013(UTC), paul_pipkin on 10/9/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#78 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 5:49:18 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

SAM goes MAD...

Sam Stosur survived some tense moments in the second set and was in full flight in the third to make it past Eugenie Bouchard in the final of the HP Open on Sunday afternoon, 36 75 62.

After taking the first set fairly comfortably, the No.5-seeded Bouchard seemed on the verge of victory as the two kept creeping closer and closer to a second set tie-break - 2-all, 3-all, 4-all, 5-all - and Bouchard had a point to hold for 6-5. But that's when the No.3-seeded Stosur pounced, reeling off seven of the next eight points to sneak out the second set, neutralizing any immediate threat.

And after Bouchard held serve to open the third set Stosur pounced again, winning four games in a row for a 4-1 lead and never really looking back, eventually closing the match out three games later.

Stosur's biggest weapons were on display for all to see on match point - she served up a massive kick serve out wide to Bouchard's backhand, then rifled a huge forehand into the open court for a winner.

"Eugenie was playing really well today. I just had to stick it out in the second set, and I'm pretty happy with how things went in the third," Stosur said in her on-court interview. "I love playing here. I love the site and the fans are great - I always feel like I have lots and lots of support when I come to Osaka.

"Thank you everyone for coming today - hopefully you all enjoyed the tennis."

Stosur said a few words to the fans in Japanese, which understandably drew cheers and applause.

The Australian is now an impressive 19-3 lifetime at this tournament, winning the title twice - 2009 and now 2013. She's actually the first player to conquer the International-level tournament twice.

The firsts don't stop there - this is the first time Stosur has won any tournament twice, and, having won Carlsbad in the summer, this is the first time Stosur has ever won two WTA titles in the same year.

Bouchard, the highest-ranked teenager in the world, was playing the first WTA final of her career.

Stosur came back out on the court a little later for the doubles final, but she couldn't conjure up the same comeback magic - she and Zhang Shuai were beaten by No.2 seeds Kristina Mladenovic and Flavia Pennetta, 64 63. Mladenovic now has seven WTA doubles titles to her name, Pennetta 15.

Alireza on 10/14/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#79 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 5:54:41 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Tough woman from OZ...congrats...

CROUCHING TIGER
#80 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 6:15:31 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

ALL winners...

CROUCHING TIGER
#81 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 6:18:11 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

CROUCHING TIGER
#82 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:48:06 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Li Picks Up ITWA Award (post this here but will start a Na Li-thread in the new site)...love this girl:)

The International Tennis Writers Association (ITWA) has named Li Na as one of its Ambassadors of the Year for 2013.

The award, voted for by ITWA members, was presented to Li and the ATP's Bob and Mike Bryan by ITWA co-president Paul Newman at Melbourne Park on Saturday.

Last year, Li enjoyed one of the most successful campaigns of her career, finishing runner-up at both the Australian Open and the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships.

In 2011, Li became became the first Asian player to lift a Grand Slam singles title when she triumphed at the French Open, and she has been a pioneer for tennis in China, which has been one of the sport's major growth areas, for over a decade.

The ITWA represents more than 100 of the world's leading tennis journalists and its annual awards recognize not only achievements on the court but also conduct off it, including co-operation with the media.

"Li Na and the Bryan brothers both had excellent years on the court, but they have also been great ambassadors for tennis," Newman said. "Because of their success there are big media demands on their time and both have handled this with great professionalism. They set a very good example to their fellow players."

After finishing 2013 at a career-high ranking of No.3, Li has carried her rich vein of form into the new year, winning her opening tournament in Shenzhen. She is seeded No.4 for the upcoming Australian Open and will begin her challenge on Monday against reigning junior champion Ana Konjuh.

appaloosa on 1/12/2014(UTC), paul_pipkin on 1/12/2014(UTC)