logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Asian tournaments
CROUCHING TIGER
#45 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:27:56 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 2862 time(s) in 1718 post(s)
Venus Williams showed she's still got it - and there's a lot left of it, too - stunning No.1-seeded Victoria Azarenka in her opening match at the Toray Pan Pacific Open on Tuesday night. Watch match highlights, post-match interviews and much more from Tokyo by clicking here! Though Williams had won both of the pair's previous meetings, those were both before her illness and injury struggles of the last few years - and before Azarenka got really, really good. But Williams was in the zone this time too, winning 75% of her first serve points and breaking serve five times during the match too, eventually beating the second-ranked, top-seeded Belarusian in straight sets, 62 64. Azarenka talked about her physical condition afterwards in her post-match press conference. "I haven't been feeling well the last few days and haven't been able to practice," Azarenka said. "It has been very frustrating. But I got out there for the people. Everyone was waiting a long time for this match, so there was no way I wasn't going to go out there. I appreciate people coming out and paying for the tickets - they should see the players play. And I tried my best. I did whatever I could do today. "But you have to be at your best to play against a top player like her. So all the credit to her." Williams scored her first win over a Top 2 player since beating Dinara Safina at Wimbledon in 2009. "I don't think Victoria was feeling her best - hopefully she'll be feeling better and ready for Beijing - Lord knows I know what it's like not to feel great," Williams said. "But other than that, obviously it's great to win today, but the tournament's not over, it just started, so I have to continue playing well now." Williams and Azarenka's other two meetings came at the Olympics in 2008 (Williams won, 63 62) and Dubai in 2010 (Williams won, 63 75). Williams improves to 3-0 in her head-to-head against Azarenka. Agnieszka Radwanska, the No.2 seed, also had a battle on her hands against Aleksandra Wozniak, falling behind 4-2 in the first set and facing four set points down 5-4 - and even falling behind 4-1 in the ensuing tie-break. But she passed every one of those tests and went on to win in straights, 76(5) 60. "Coming from Seoul, I didn't really have much time to adjust and rest, but it's always good to win a tournament and I'm happy to play again this week," Radwanska said. "I think winning last week gave me a lot of confidence. Today I played much better after I won the first set, and I'm feeling good." The other two late matches saw No.4 seed Caroline Wozniacki beat Flavia Pennetta, 62 63, and No.13 seed Simona Halep win a 75-minute first set and eventually beat Andrea Petkovic in two, 76(4) 63. -

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/25/2013(UTC), frida on 9/28/2013(UTC), Alireza on 9/28/2013(UTC)
Imnumber2
#35 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:51:39 AM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

Originally Posted by: midaso Go to Quoted Post
She's been posting regularly on social media but no pics/mention of any tennis practice so she must have been told to rest her shoulder for quite a long time. Have to assume she hasn't hit since the day she withdrew from the US Open,so it will be a tough ask to make Istanbul I think...

I think you are right so I'm not expecting anything from her this year including Istanbul Champ. She hasn't even annouce her new coach!! another long way back to her usual top shape again.

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
2 users thanked Imnumber2 for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/25/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 9/25/2013(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#36 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:29:33 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1869 time(s) in 1239 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Imnumber2 Go to Quoted Post

She's been posting regularly on social media but no pics/mention of any tennis practice so she must have been told to rest her shoulder for quite a long time. Have to assume she hasn't hit since the day she withdrew from the US Open,so it will be a tough ask to make Istanbul I think...

I think you are right so I'm not expecting anything from her this year including Istanbul Champ. She hasn't even annouce her new coach!! another long way back to her usual top shape again.

Take too long & Eugenie Bouchard may be ready to cope with her.  Yesterday, the mouthpieces (correctly I think) observed that Genie seems intimidated by no one else in the WTA--not even Serena. The ONLY player she's faced looking like a deer in the headlights was Maria Sharapova--Genie's idol.

But she'll get over that. Watch out for Genie.  (Good luck vs Venus Thursday)

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
3 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 9/26/2013(UTC), frida on 9/28/2013(UTC), Alireza on 9/28/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#46 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:06:05 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

GREAT BATTLE...GENIE WITH HONOR !!!

Venus Williams has achieved a lot in her many years on the WTA, but she scored another first for herself on Thursday - reaching the first Toray Pan Pacific Open semifinal of her career.

Watch match highlights, post-match interviews and much more from Tokyo by clicking here!

In a quarterfinal battle between unseeded players - Williams beat No.2 seed Victoria Azarenka and No.13 seed Simona Halep, Bouchard No.9 seed Sloane Stephens and No.6 seed Jelena Jankovic - there were fireworks right away, as Bouchard built a 3-1 lead. The crowd knew they had a match.

For three hours and two minutes the two traded huge groundstrokes and ran everything they could down, but Williams was just a little more aggressive, her first serve was just a little more dangerous, and her net play was just a little bit sharper - the American edged the Canadian in the end, 63 67(4) 63.

"Wow, she played so well, she's going to be a great player - she already is a great player," Williams said in her on-court interview. "I was just competing out there today, just fighting until the end. It was disappointing to lose the second set, but to win the third set is the goal, so I'm happy I did that."

Williams and Bouchard had comparable unforced errors in the match, 35 for Williams and 34 for Bouchard, but their winners told the story - Williams had a whopping 43 in the match, Bouchard 28.

This is the first time Williams has reached the semifinals of the Toray Pan Pacific Open - her previous best result was the quarterfinals in 2004. And in fact it's the first time a Williams sister has reached the semifinals at this tournament at all - Serena Williams has never actually played this tournament.

But big sister doesn't want to stop in the quarters. "I'm in the semifinals - I'm so excited, my first semifinal here in Tokyo after all these years! It's hard to believe it's the first time, but I'm glad it's now.

"But my hopes are to win tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be a win - and in less time, that's my goal."

Williams' semifinal foe was undetermined when she won - Petra Kvitova and Svetlana Kuznetsova were resting up after finishing rain-delayed third round matches earlier in the day, with the No.7-seeded Kvitova firing seven aces during a 62 62 win over Madison Keys, and Kuznetsova rallying from 5-2 down in the first set - and saving a set point down 6-5 - to beat No.15 seed Sorana Cirstea, 76(3) 61.

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/26/2013(UTC), frida on 9/27/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#48 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:13:47 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

http://www.chinaopen.com.cn/en/mds/wta.html

Masha won't be there but i don't see Genie's name either?

paul_pipkin
#49 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:19:14 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1869 time(s) in 1239 post(s)

Originally Posted by: CROUCHING TIGER Go to Quoted Post
http://www.chinaopen.com.cn/en/mds/wta.html

Masha won't be there but i don't see Genie's name either?

Pretty sure I saw her on a player list a few days ago--trouble is no official lists. Wish they would get this shit out earlier. Qualies should start tomorrow ("tonight" from the West) & they don't have that OOP posted either.

UPDATE: BOUCHARD is on the Qualie OOP for tomorrow, Friday in Beijing. http://www.wtatennis.com...posting/2013/1056/OP.pdf

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 9/27/2013(UTC)
Brebis
#50 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:01:48 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)

What is wrong with Radwanszka lately ?? This way she will never become a GS winner or # 1 player.

Ps; It finally is Serena's 32nd birthday today. Almost in retirement.  Can't wait for that day to come. Champagne is waiting.

1 user thanked Brebis for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/26/2013(UTC)
midaso
#51 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:39:01 PM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Brebis Go to Quoted Post

What is wrong with Radwanszka lately ?? This way she will never become a GS winner or # 1 player.

Ps; It finally is Serena's 32nd birthday today. Almost in retirement.  Can't wait for that day to come. Champagne is waiting.

Yes,bring on that magic day when she retires. We are getting closer and closer to REAL women's tennis again. Sadly Maria won't be around much after Serena,if at all. But there will be others,Genie for one...

CROUCHING TIGER
#53 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 12:13:10 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

That's true Midaso. But don't make the mistake to take Eugenie Bouchard for a "new Sharapova".

Genie has her own style and will become Canadian player Bouchard !!!

@PAUL...yes, saw her on the qualifiers' list; bit of a Chinese mess on that site:)

CROUCHING TIGER
#54 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 10:36:21 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

TOKYO FINAL !!!

Angelique Kerber and Petra Kvitova edged a pair of resurgent former No.1s on Friday to reach the final of the milestone 30th edition of the Premier-level Toray Pan Pacific Open.

Watch match highlights, post-match interviews and much more from Tokyo by clicking here!

The No.7-seeded Kvitova was the first to advance, ending the re-breakthrough run of Venus Williams in a nail-biter, 36 63 76(2). The two put on a serving display, each holding 13 of 15 service games in the match, but at the end of the day it came down to a third set tie-break, where Kvitova dominated.

"The whole match was very close - it was only about a few points in the end," Kvitova said afterwards. "I had a good start to the tie-break and I think every point in that tie-break was really important.

"Venus was a very tough opponent today. I knew she was playing very well here, and for her it's great to have this many matches. She missed some tournaments this year and it's important to stay healthy and play a lot. If she keeps this up she can be one of the players who can win Grand Slams."

Williams had revived her season - and career, really - with some vintage form during the week, taking out two of the hottest players of the year en route to the semis, namely No.2 seed Victoria Azarenka and No.13 seed Simona Halep. And while this run is over, it could be the start of something big.

"Coming into tournaments you never know how it's going to turn out, but I played a lot of great matches here," Williams said. "Today didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, but she played very well today, and a lot of it came down to match play too - she was hitting a lot of unreturnable shots in the tie-break.

"As I get into these positions more I'll start to convert - just a few painful misses today."

The No.5-seeded Kerber followed Kvitova into the final with a 64 76(5) win over No.4-seeded Caroline Wozniacki, holding off a late surge in the first set - she watched a 5-1 lead become 5-4 before closing it out - and battling back from 4-2 down in the second set to prevail in straight sets. She held off another late surge in the second set tie-break, watching 6-2 become 6-5 before finally closing the match out.

"The match was very close, and it's always tough to play a very close friend, but I've been playing very well this whole week and I'm really happy to be in the finals here for the first time," Kerber said after the match. "I have good memories of the semifinals here last year and I'm excited for tomorrow now."

"I'll take a lot of positives with me from this week," Wozniacki said. "I was fighting out there as hard as I could, not just today but throughout the whole week, and I just came up a little bit short today. But I have a lot of things to work on for next week in Beijing now - we have another big week ahead."

It will be the first all-lefty WTA final since Québec City in 2009 (Melinda Czink beat Lucie Safarova) and the first all-lefty Premier final since Paris [Indoors] in 1994 (Martina Navratilova beat Monica Seles).

Kerber leads Kvitova in their head-to-head series, 2-1.

"It can be difficult to play lefties, but Petra and I have played so much against each other that I don't think it will make a difference," Kerber said. "She's played well this whole week and I just have to focus on my game and focus from point to point, and stay aggressive. We'll see how it goes tomorrow."

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/27/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 9/27/2013(UTC), frida on 9/28/2013(UTC)
Brebis
#52 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 4:20:15 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Brebis Go to Quoted Post

Yes,bring on that magic day when she retires. We are getting closer and closer to REAL women's tennis again. Sadly Maria won't be around much after Serena,if at all. But there will be others,Genie for one...

Hi Midaso, unfortunately it is true, yes Maria has 3 years left and then her career is over too. Unfortunately Maria's career falls in the same periode as Serena's. In that way Genie or Sloane are the more lucky ones. Do not see a new Serena coming in the next 10 years from now. The moment I hear Serena talking about her using doping during her career I will ..................!!!   Really, I will find that woman.

2 users thanked Brebis for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/27/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 9/27/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#55 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2013 3:12:55 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Yes, Brebis, for the games of 2016 u can throw 50% of the today Top-20. It's in every sport, so why

should it any different here? AND THAT'S A GOOD THING !!! There must be new blood and talent in sport

before it becomes dull/annoying. NO names, i'm writing this as a "neutral outside observer" if u know

what i mean. I still miss some great champions in F1-football-tennis, etc...but this is real life and

nobody can't go on forever with or without help of "substances" in the blood. Let's enjoy what we HAVE

and do the same with those future "champions"...

midaso
#56 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2013 3:43:01 AM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Damn it,Elena Vesnina,one of the sexiest women on the WTA tour,has drawn that silly mug Williams in round 1 in China. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see that clown sent home with her tail between her legs but I don't suppose it will happen...
CROUCHING TIGER
#57 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:42:07 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

And PETRA takes it from the left:)...BIG CONGRATULATIONS !!!

In the biggest all-lefty final in over 20 years, Petra Kvitova beat Angelique Kerber for her second WTA title of the year - and the 11th of her career - at the Toray Pan Pacific Open.

Kvitova came out swinging and for most of the first set was hitting all her targets, firing 17 winners to just five unforced errors to take it, 6-2. Her game went awry in the second set, as she lost it at love - but the No.7-seeded Czech stormed out to a 4-0 lead in the third set and never looked back, missing out on her first three match points but finally closing out a 62 06 63 decision on the fourth match point.

And that last match point was a cracker - a 20-shot rally full of power and precision, Kvitova firing a huge crosscourt forehand on the 19th shot of the rally that the No.5-seeded Kerber netted on the 20th.

"In the first set I was attacking every ball and hitting so many winners but in the beginning of the second set I made some easy mistakes and felt slower in my legs, and that's what Angie was waiting for," Kvitova said. "I knew it wasn't over until the last point, though. After the second set I knew what I had to do - play the same way as the first set, stay aggressive and cut the mistakes down again.

"I'm very happy I could win this final today. For me the whole tournament was great - I felt good all week on the court. I really enjoyed my week here and it's even better to come away with the title."

Recovery was important for Kvitova in the final, too - a day earlier she scraped by a resurgent Venus Williams in an even tighter battle, edging the former World No.1 in a third set breaker, 36 63 76(2).

"Everyone has tight matches during a tournament - yesterday we played two and a half hours - but I still felt good today," she said. "I don't think the second set was because of yesterday's match."

Kvitova now has 11 WTA titles to her name - one in 2009 (Hobart), six in 2011 (Brisbane, Paris [Indoors], Madrid, Wimbledon, Linz and the WTA Championships), two in 2012 (Montréal and New Haven) and two in 2013 (Dubai and Tokyo). She is now an impressive 11-4 lifetime in WTA finals.

There's more good news for Kvitova. Having fallen out of the Top 10 after the US Open a few weeks ago - her first time out of the Top 10 since first breaking it May 9, 2011, which was 122 weeks before - she will now return to the elite, rising from her current ranking of No.11 in the world back up to No.7.

Kvitova and Kerber were playing the first all-lefty final on the WTA since Québec City in 2009 (where Melinda Czink beat Lucie Safarova for the title). It was also the the biggest all-lefty final since Paris [Indoors] in 1993 (where Martina Navratilova beat Monica Seles - read more about that one here).

Both of the Tokyo finalists will now head to Beijing for the Premier Mandatory-level China Open.

"I'll take a day off from tennis maybe," Kvitova said. "Then I'll think about my first match there."

Kerber was playing her second WTA final of the year - she was also a runner-up at the International-level event in Monterrey in April (to Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova). The German is now 2-5 in WTA finals.

4 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
frida on 9/28/2013(UTC), paul_pipkin on 9/28/2013(UTC), Alireza on 9/28/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 9/29/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#59 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:45:25 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

FABULOUS TROPHY !!!

Alireza on 9/28/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 9/29/2013(UTC)
frida
#60 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:21:32 AM(UTC)
frida

Was thanked: 1668 time(s) in 673 post(s)

http://www.thestar.com.my/~/media/Images/TSOL/Photos-Gallery/Reuters%20Sport/2013/09/28/20130928T071700Z_1_CBRE98R0K8M00_RTROPTP_4_TENNISWOMENJAPAN.ashx?w=620&h=413&crop=1&

Congratulations dear Petraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

3 users thanked frida for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/28/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 9/28/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 9/29/2013(UTC)
Alireza
#58 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:47:32 AM(UTC)
Alireza

Was thanked: 965 time(s) in 508 post(s)

Originally Posted by: CROUCHING TIGER Go to Quoted Post
And PETRA takes it from the left:)...BIG CONGRATULATIONS !!!

In the biggest all-lefty final in over 20 years, Petra Kvitova beat Angelique Kerber for her second WTA title of the year - and the 11th of her career - at the Toray Pan Pacific Open.

Kvitova came out swinging and for most of the first set was hitting all her targets, firing 17 winners to just five unforced errors to take it, 6-2. Her game went awry in the second set, as she lost it at love - but the No.7-seeded Czech stormed out to a 4-0 lead in the third set and never looked back, missing out on her first three match points but finally closing out a 62 06 63 decision on the fourth match point.

And that last match point was a cracker - a 20-shot rally full of power and precision, Kvitova firing a huge crosscourt forehand on the 19th shot of the rally that the No.5-seeded Kerber netted on the 20th.

"In the first set I was attacking every ball and hitting so many winners but in the beginning of the second set I made some easy mistakes and felt slower in my legs, and that's what Angie was waiting for," Kvitova said. "I knew it wasn't over until the last point, though. After the second set I knew what I had to do - play the same way as the first set, stay aggressive and cut the mistakes down again.

"I'm very happy I could win this final today. For me the whole tournament was great - I felt good all week on the court. I really enjoyed my week here and it's even better to come away with the title."

Recovery was important for Kvitova in the final, too - a day earlier she scraped by a resurgent Venus Williams in an even tighter battle, edging the former World No.1 in a third set breaker, 36 63 76(2).

"Everyone has tight matches during a tournament - yesterday we played two and a half hours - but I still felt good today," she said. "I don't think the second set was because of yesterday's match."

Kvitova now has 11 WTA titles to her name - one in 2009 (Hobart), six in 2011 (Brisbane, Paris [Indoors], Madrid, Wimbledon, Linz and the WTA Championships), two in 2012 (Montréal and New Haven) and two in 2013 (Dubai and Tokyo). She is now an impressive 11-4 lifetime in WTA finals.

There's more good news for Kvitova. Having fallen out of the Top 10 after the US Open a few weeks ago - her first time out of the Top 10 since first breaking it May 9, 2011, which was 122 weeks before - she will now return to the elite, rising from her current ranking of No.11 in the world back up to No.7.

Kvitova and Kerber were playing the first all-lefty final on the WTA since Québec City in 2009 (where Melinda Czink beat Lucie Safarova for the title). It was also the the biggest all-lefty final since Paris [Indoors] in 1993 (where Martina Navratilova beat Monica Seles - read more about that one here).

Both of the Tokyo finalists will now head to Beijing for the Premier Mandatory-level China Open.

"I'll take a day off from tennis maybe," Kvitova said. "Then I'll think about my first match there."

Kerber was playing her second WTA final of the year - she was also a runner-up at the International-level event in Monterrey in April (to Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova). The German is now 2-5 in WTA finals.

Congratulations Petra, well done 

Persian Gulf FOREVER -Arabs can not change the history, they can't cheat-
1 user thanked Alireza for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 9/28/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#61 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2013 3:32:13 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Black & Mirza's DOUBLES Dream...congratutlations:)

When two great doubles players join forces for the first time, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work - and sometimes it really works. That was the case for Cara Black and Sania Mirza, who won their very first tournament together at the Toray Pan Pacific Open on Saturday.

Facing Chan Hao-Ching and Liezel Huber, Black and Mirza dropped the first set but then rebounded by winning the second set at love in just 27 minutes, and then had to grind out a match tie-break, winning the last four points of the match from double match point down at 9-7 to close it out, 46 60 119.

"In the first set, especially from my side, we made a lot of unforced errors. We were trying to do too much at times when we didn't really need to," Black said. "In the second set we were a little more calm and clearer thinking, putting more balls back in the court and had a little bit of strategy going."

Was it a struggle for Black to be on the opposite side of the net from Huber, with whom she was co-World No.1 in doubles just a few years ago? "It's always a little difficult because you know each other so well, and your thinking gets complicated," Black said. "But I was saying to Sania earlier, I just have to calm down and concentrate on my game, and not think about what they're going to be thinking."

And what about winning such a massive tournament in their first time playing together as a team?

"We teamed up together knowing yes, we can be a very good team," Mirza said. "Obviously the first time you play you don't expect to win - you try, but you don't expect it - but we're happy we could come through and win such a big tournament, and winning such a tight match in the finals was great too."

Black and Mirza were asked about the beautiful Toray Pan Pacific Open trophy in their presser.

"It's beautiful," Black said. "I already have two at home. I'm very happy to put number three there."

"I think it's really pretty," Mirza commented. "It's nice to have different kinds of trophies. I really like this one in particular though - it shows Japan and the culture, so it's a really good one to have."

Black now has two WTA doubles titles this year, having won Auckland in the first week of the season with Anastasia Rodionova. And she now has 56 WTA doubles titles to her name, making her the standalone No.13 on the all-time list (Martina Navratilova leads that list with an unbelievable 177).

Mirza now has four WTA doubles titles this year, having won Brisbane and Dubai with Bethanie Mattek-Sands and New Haven with Zheng Jie. The Indian now has 18 WTA doubles titles to her name.

Alireza on 9/29/2013(UTC), frida on 9/29/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#62 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2013 3:35:45 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

3th player i don't know ??? :)

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
Alireza on 9/29/2013(UTC)
Brebis
#63 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:53:07 PM(UTC)

You can see that tennis is low key for me at this moment ! Just noticed that Serena flew all the way to Asia to play the China Open. Good for her , may she win an other title .