logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
The Lovely and Talented Genie Bouchard
paul_pipkin
#21 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 12:12:57 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

CROUCHING TIGER;326860 wrote:

Permalink voor ingesloten afbeelding

Friday: 19:15 EDT - [5] Eugenie Bouchard (CAN)  vs [2] Kristina Mladenovic (FRA)   (01:15 Sat CEST)

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
2 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 9/13/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 9/13/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#22 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 12:15:48 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)
GENIE MOVES ON...

Quarterfinals Set In Québec City

Ajla Tomljanovi The second round ended on Thursday, with one player - Ajla Tomljanovic - breaking through to her first WTA quarterfinal, though it definitely wasn't the way she wanted.

Watch Québec City & Tashkent this week on WTA Live powered by TennisTV!

For over two hours, Tomljanovic and No.4 seed Bethanie Mattek-Sands were wowing the crowd with some impressive and aggressive tennis, with Tomljanovic squeaking out a tight first set, Mattek-Sands bouncing back to win the second set, then Tomljanovic charging out to a 4-1 lead in the third set.

But an unfortunate fall from Mattek-Sands caused her to retire down 4-1 in that third set.

"She slipped and her knee is in bad shape - winning this match is bittersweet, I feel really bad for her," Tomljanovic said. "She hasn't had an easy road. I hope she recovers as soon as she can."

Though it wasn't the way she wanted, the retirement resulted in Tomljanovic's first WTA quarterfinal, which will come along with another career breakthrough - she'll make her Top 100 debut on Monday.

This might be a memorable week for the young Croat for another reason - she loves Québec City.

"I love the hotel and the street with all the restaurants on it, there's just so much going on, and the people are so nice here too," she said. "I went to the revolving restaurant and it was great. But I actually went by myself - my parents were supposed to go with me but they said they weren't hungry! So I was sitting there by myself. The view was perfect, of course, but I just needed some company!

"I also had a walk down to where they sell the crêpes. It really is a beautiful city here."

The other two seeds in action during the daytime won, with No.3 seed Lucie Safarova serving up 13 aces and staving off five set points in the second set tie-break to get past Mirjana Lucic-Baroni in a pair of tie-breaks, 76(4) 76(10), and No.7 seed Lauren Davis beating Andrea Hlavackova, 61 26 63.

"Mirjana plays very fast and flat, and on this surface that's very dangerous, so I just had to be concentrated on every point," Safarova said. "I think the key to the match today was to keep playing aggressively in the tough moments, the key points. I'm very happy I made it through in two sets."

Safarova shares Tomljanovic's affinity for the host city. "Being in Québec is really nice. It's a beautiful city. I had some nice walks this week when the weather was better than it is now! And I'm feeling good about my game - match by match I'm improving, and I'm just looking forward to the next one now."

Does the Czech have any food recommendations? "My favorite place here is a small, low key crêpe place called Le Billig," she said. "I go back there every year I play this tournament. And I also like a place called The Bagel Factory - they bake their own bagels there, and it's such a nice place!"

The night session saw No.5 seed Eugenie Bouchard rally from 4-2 down in the second set to close out Kazakhstani qualifier Sesil Karatantcheva in straight sets, 76(2) 64, and No.2 seed Kristina Mladenovic advance past Petra Martic when the Croat had to retire in the second set because of illness.

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/13/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#23 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 11:09:11 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

The Next Generation...they're on the way and fast !

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3456431/title/espn-video-the-next-generation

Bouchard, Stephens,Robson and many others ready to grab the TOP !!!

CROUCHING TIGER
#24 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 11:13:25 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

I know someone who like this:)

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/13/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 9/13/2013(UTC), Alireza on 9/15/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#25 Posted : Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:25:20 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Genie won from that "blondie" in the above picture in two straight sets 62 63...

Next "victime" in the semi's will be "legs Lucie" Safarova...ALLEZ-Y !!!

CROUCHING TIGER
#26 Posted : Saturday, September 14, 2013 4:41:40 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Bouchard Into Semifinals & Top 50

Bouchard, who is the No.5 seed at the International-level event, stormed out to a 63 30 lead and, after Mladenovic closed the gap to 63 32, reeled off another three games to seal the victory, 63 62.

"The surface is very fast and we were both hitting pretty hard," Mladenovic said. "But she was more solid - on the serve, on the return, in the rallies - she just played a really good match tonight."

"I'm very happy with the match tonight," Bouchard said. "I started well, breaking her early in the first set, and then I kept playing well from there, not losing serve until midway through the second set. But I just kept putting pressure on her and I'm happy I could close the match out in straight sets.

"She played well tonight too - I think it was a very high level of tennis out there."

The victory over Mladenovic not only puts Bouchard in the second WTA semifinal of her career - she was a semifinalist at Strasbourg earlier this year, losing a tight three-setter to Alizé Cornet - but the Canadian, currently ranked No.53, is now projected to break into the Top 50 for the first time.

Bouchard will have to beat another higher seed in the semifinals, with Lucie Safarova up next. The No.3-seeded Czech rallied from a break down in the second set to beat Lauren Davis earlier on, 62 64.

"It was a good match," Safarova said after the match. "I played very aggressively from the beginning and took the lead, and in the second set I just kept the pressure on her. I don't think she liked that. But it was nice to play out there with the great crowd - they've been great all week, and it's really nice."

Unlike Bouchard, Safarova is no stranger to finals - she has been to 11 of them before, and she's a former finalist here too, in 2009. "Genie is a great player - it's going to be tough, but I'm looking forward to it," Safarova said. "I played well today, so I hope I can keep my level up in the next one too."

Safarova and Bouchard will be playing against each other for the first time.

"It's going to be a tough match - she's very good and it's never easy playing a left-hander - but I hope I can keep playing like I did tonight," Bouchard said. "We'll see what happens tomorrow."

Alireza on 9/15/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#27 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 4:46:42 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Great tourney Genie !!!

Lucie Safarova lifted her game and dashed the hopes of the Québecois home fans, coming back to beat Canadian No.1 Eugenie Bouchard in the Bell Challenge semifinals.

Watch the Québec City finals on Sunday on WTA Live powered by TennisTV!

Things weren't looking so good for the No.3-seeded Safarova mid-match - after dropping the first set, 6-3, she found herself in trouble again serving at 3-all, ad-out in the second set. But she dug out of that game and eventually won seven games in a row to take the second set and build a 4-0 lead in the third, winning 27 of 34 points in that run. She would close out the No.3-seeded Bouchard, 36 63 62.

"Genie has such great support here and she's such a talented player, so I knew I had to play really well," Safarova said. "I look at it as today was my win, and she'll have many more in the future.

"She plays very fast and takes the ball really early, right after the bounce, so I was a little bit slow there at the beginning. But after the first set I stepped up my level and when I broke her in the first game of the third set she dropped her level a little bit, and I'm happy I managed to take advantage from there."

Safarova is now in her 12th WTA final, going 4-7 in her first 11. Those four titles all came at the International level - Estoril and Forest Hills in 2005, Gold Coast in 2006 and Forest Hills again in 2008. One of her runner-up finishes came here in 2009 to Melinda Czink - a rare all-lefty WTA final.

"I'd really like to win the title here," Safarova said. "It's been quite a long time since I've won a WTA tournament, and this is such a great tournament, so it would be great to do it here in Québec."

Next up for Safarova is No.6 seed Marina Erakovic, who won her semifinal match earlier in the day. Safarova beat Erakovic in their only previous meeting, though it was a long time ago and very close.

"It's been a while since we last played so you can't really count that," Safarova said. "Marina has a big serve and a big forehand - she has a little bit weaker backhand so I'll try to use my lefty and get into that side. And I need to hold serve as well. I'm sure it's going to be a very good match tomorrow."

Bouchard was understandably disappointed with the result. "I think I wasn't serving as strong after the first set, so I was on the defense a lot in the second and third sets," she commented. "Of course I'm disappointed with the result but Lucie played well, and I just have to keep working hard from here."

And the Canadian has a lot to be proud of this week - she not only reached her second WTA semifinal, having already achieved the feat once earlier this year in Strasbourg, but by virtue of her results at her home tournament, she will break into the Top 50 players in the world on the new WTA Rankings.

Safarova was certainly impressed. "I think she's a really great player already and she's still very young," the Czech commented. "If she keeps working she can be a really good player in the future."

"I could have done better this week, but I'm happy with what I accomplished this week," Bouchard said. "I played some good matches here and I came up against a really good player today. After the first set she was playing even better. I have to learn how to raise my game too when that happens."

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/15/2013(UTC), Alireza on 9/15/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#28 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:00:41 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Erakovic, Safarova reach WTA Quebec final...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/erakovic-safarova-reach-wta-quebec-final-213954307--ten.html

CROUCHING TIGER
#29 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:40:45 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

No Stopping Hlavackova & Hradecka...

http://m.wtatennis.com/default.aspx?s=news-display&aid=3454192

Czech duo wins in Québec...AGAIN:)

CROUCHING TIGER
#30 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 12:24:52 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

And LUCIE took Québec...

Lucie Safarova served up her fifth WTA title at the Bell Challenge on Sunday, beating Marina Erakovic in straight sets in the final of the International-level tournament.

The No.3-seeded Safarova lost serve early in the first set but held all eight of her other service games, eventually defeating the No.6-seeded Erakovic in an hour and 29 minutes for the title, 64 63.

Safarova came away with her fifth WTA title, and first in more than five years - her first four WTA titles came at Estoril and Forest Hills in 2005, Gold Coast in 2006 and then Forest Hills again in 2008.

"It was just about a few points today, but I was more consistent with my game and more aggressive, and I think that's why I won," Safarova said. "My strategy was to try to go to her backhand side and just try to use my lefty shots as well as I could. I was a little bit nervous at the end because it was so long since my last WTA title - I really wanted to win the title today - so it's great I was able to do that."

Safarova was asked about the gap. "I hope it's not another five years until the next one!" she said.

The Czech is also the second lefty to win a WTA title in 2013, after Petra Kvitova, who won in Dubai.

Erakovic was playing the Québec City final for the second time - she was a runner-up here two years ago to Barbora Zahlavova Strycova. The New Zealander is now 1-3 in her career in WTA finals.

"I really tried hard to get things right, but Lucie made it very difficult for me today," Erakovic said after the match. "She played solid and didn't let up her lead at all. And I was struggling to find my rhythm with her lefty serve and in the rallies - so I just have to take my hat off to her and move on now.

"I played good tennis and made the finals here, so overall not too much to be disappointed about!"

The doubles final was played earlier on in the day, with No.2 seeds Alla Kudryavtseva and Anastasia Rodionova springing an upset against No.1 seeds Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka, 64 63.

"It wasn't an easy draw - they've been playing some really good tennis recently, and the last few years too - so we're really happy to win today," Rodionova said. "It was amazing to play against them in the final. We had a good plan before the match and implemented and executed that plan really well.

"We've been working a lot over the last few years to play more as a team, and less as individuals, and we really complemented each other well here in Québec. We really understand each other now."

Kudryavtseva and Rodionova won their second WTA doubles title together, having won Strasbourg three years ago. Kudryavtseva now has five WTA doubles titles to her name, while Rodionova has six.

paul_pipkin on 9/16/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#31 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 10:22:37 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

IMPRESSIVE !!!

Alain44 on 9/23/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#32 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:25:09 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

http://www.toray-ppo.co.jp/tournament/pdf/20130923op.pdf

Genie plays tomorrow Puig...

CROUCHING TIGER
#33 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:18:27 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Sorry guys, GENIE won the "clash" to Sloane Stephens in three...CONGRATZ !!!

CROUCHING TIGER
#34 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:05:38 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

GENIE:)

The No.3-seeded Errani was the first to go, falling behind 3-0 in each set and, after catching up to 3-all both times, just getting pipped at the end of the set to fall to Kuznetsova in straight sets, 64 64.

Though it was an upset on paper - Errani is ranked No.6, Kuznetsova No.27 - it wasn't really that big a surprise given Kuznetsova had won five of their six previous meetings (now 6-1 in their head-to-head).

The No.9-seeded Stephens followed Errani to the sidelines, dropping a dramatic three-setter to Bouchard, 57 76(7) 63. Stephens pulled off a miracle comeback early in the match, falling behind 5-0 but then winning seven straight games to take the first set; she eventually found herself just two points away from winning the match leading 75 53, but Bouchard never stopped fighting, winning in three.

"It was definitely an up and down match," Bouchard said. "I've known her since I was 12, and I've practiced with her a lot, so it's always tough playing someone like that - it's always a bit more mental.

"I was disappointed with that first set, but she definitely raised her level. But then I kept trying and fighting, and even when my level wasn't quite there, I stayed positive. I think that paid off today."

Besides her great results so far this week, there's another reason that Bouchard is enjoying herself in Tokyo - the Canadian was asked in her post-match press conference about her affinity for Hello Kitty.

"Does everybody know about this!" she replied. "Oh my God. Well, yes, I am obsessed, it's true. I went to Asia for the first time last year, so this is my second time playing in Tokyo, and every time I come here I go to the Hello Kitty stores. And the fans are so nice here too, they give me a lot of gifts."

In another upset, Magdalena Rybarikova recorded a 62 63 win over the No.14 seed, Kirsten Flipkens.

The other seeds in action early on all won, with No.6 seed Jelena Jankovic firing seven aces during a 64 61 win over Ayumi Morita; No.11 seed Ana Ivanovic winning nine straight games to close out Elina Svitolina, 63 60; No.12 seed Sam Stosur battling back from 5-3 down in the second set to beat Kimiko Date-Krumm in straight sets, 63 76(2); No.15 seed Sorana Cirstea beating Misaki Doi, 61 62; and No.16 seed Dominika Cibulkova beating Australian qualifier Casey Dellacqua, 75 63.

"It was a lot harder than the score indicates," Ivanovic said about her match. "The conditions were tough out there - it was gusty, and on one side it was a lot harder to control the ball, but I'm very happy I managed to settle down and after the first set things got much, much better for me out there.

"I always enjoy coming back to Tokyo. This is the eighth time I've played this tournament and I always love seeing the fans - they are very passionate about tennis, which is obviously really nice to see.

paul_pipkin on 9/24/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#35 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:40:40 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/24/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 9/24/2013(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#36 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:56:06 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

CROUCHING TIGER;327041 wrote:

Wednesday (25 September) CEST (GMT +2) Streams

04:00 Kuznetsova - Cirstea (WTA Tokyo)
05:30 Jankovic - Bouchard (WTA Tokyo)

Alain44 on 9/24/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 9/25/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#37 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:45:58 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

OLIVE...DONE 75 62

paul_pipkin on 9/26/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#38 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:41:58 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

That's all for TOKYO folks...Genie lost from Venus in a tough 3-setter 63 67 63...

We can admire her talents next week in BEIJING !!!

paul_pipkin
#39 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:32:17 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

She is on the Qualie OOP for tomorrow, Friday in Beijing. http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/posting/2013/1056/OP.pdf

Alain44 on 9/26/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 9/27/2013(UTC)
deadchip
#40 Posted : Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:14:32 PM(UTC)
deadchip

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Finallly a day for Genie who has been ripping it up of late. Really hoping she can attain AO seeding by the end of the year and beating Rybarikova is the first step, as she is ranked 32 at present I believe. If she gets by her, she'll likely get Sloane again and the Princess after that, as well as being in Serena's quarter! Man, that's a tough draw, but she has been really stepping up to the plate of late. I've beeen very impressed with her mental fortitude and belief. She has also been playing very smart and aggressive. The girl is gonna make a boatful of money, if she doesn't get hurt!!!!
Fichmann took out Slava to make the main draw, which is an excellent result for Sharon and a definite upset. I think she gets Voskoboeva next, which is a winnnable first rounder for her, but then things get tougher with a likely match-up against Jelena.
I miss Maria..........
Masha is my #1!!
2 users thanked deadchip for this useful post.
appaloosa on 9/28/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 9/29/2013(UTC)