logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<23456>
Russian Tennis
Dartagnan
#59 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:31:30 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Dartagnan: Pavlyuchenkova will have a great future in tennis. She shows good results. 

Pavlyuchenkova Wins Portugal Open

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

MOSCOW, May 4 (R-Sport) - Russia’s Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova won her second WTA title in the space of a month Saturday, defeating Carla Suarez Navarro in the final of the Portugal Open.

The 7-5, 6-2 win continues a successful season for the world No. 19, who has appeared in three finals this season, winning last month's Monterrey Open and losing in Brisbane in January.

The win over Suarez Navarro, ranked 23rd, extended Pavlyuchenkova’s unbeaten record against the Spaniard to five meetings.

Pavlyuchenkova, 21, has won five career titles on the WTA Tour, while Suarez Navarro has lost all five of the finals she has played in.

The Portugal Open, formerly known as the Estoril Open, is a clay-court WTA International event offering a prize fund of $235,000 for the women and $410,200 for the men’s competition.

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

4 users thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 5/5/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 5/6/2013(UTC), frida on 5/27/2013(UTC), Alireza on 6/20/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#62 Posted : Sunday, May 05, 2013 7:18:28 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2870 time(s) in 1723 post(s)
http://youtu.be/lbCeE8Zj_2E

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova vs Carla Suarez Navarro Final WTA Oeiras 2013

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 5/5/2013(UTC), Alireza on 6/20/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#63 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:56:48 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Permalink voor ingesloten afbeelding

Maka takes Vika out; CONGRATULATIONS !!!

4 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 5/8/2013(UTC), appaloosa on 5/9/2013(UTC), frida on 5/27/2013(UTC), Alireza on 6/20/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#64 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2013 1:46:01 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

And out with BARTOLI...Davai MAKA...into the quarters !

CROUCHING TIGER
#65 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:22:26 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

WTA Madrid - Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Lucie Safarova win biggest doubles title !

Tennis - Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Lucie Safarova have won the doubles title at the WTA Mutua Madrid Open on Saturday.

The duo, unseeded this week, defeated Cara Black and Marina Erakovic 62 64 for their biggest doubles win.

Pavlyuchenkova, who has also won 2 singles titles this year, commented, "We're so happy - I'm already dancing and singing! It's amazing. It's really important for us because we were working so hard together and playing well, and finally we've won such a big tournament. We were extremely focused today because the last few matches we were really close to finishing it easier as well, but then losing some concentration and making some unforced errors. It happened a little bit today but we learned from our mistakes and managed to close it out."

Safarova, also a top 20 player in singles like Pavlyuchenkova, commented, "It's our second season playing together and I've always enjoyed playing with Anastasia. We're also great friends, so it's always a pleasure to play doubles with each other."

This was the duo's second doubles title as a team. Meanwhile, it is Pavlyuchenkova's fourth career doubles title and Safarova's third doubles title.

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 5/12/2013(UTC), frida on 5/27/2013(UTC), Alireza on 6/20/2013(UTC)
Dartagnan
#66 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2013 5:59:03 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Cancer Survivor Kleybanova Targets Return to Tennis Elite

MOSCOW, May 20 (R-Sport) - After a victorious comeback to professional tennis, former world No. 20 and cancer survivor Alisa Kleybanova vowed Monday to return to the sport’s biggest competitions.

The Russian, 23, won two WTA titles before being forced to quit the sport in July 2011 when she was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

After an aborted comeback bid last year, Kleybanova made a successful return last week at a Challenger tournament in Landisville, Pennsylvania, coming through three rounds of qualifying and four main draw matches before winning the title with a 6-3, 6-0 thrashing of American Natalie Pluskota in Sunday’s final.

“I hope that now you will constantly be seeing me at the most impressive tournaments,” she said on Facebook.

“It was an amazing week in Landisville for me,” she said. “It is always nice to start a new route to victory. I want to thank everyone who supported me and waited for my return to the court.”

The Moscow-born player was a youth prodigy, twice winning the junior women’s doubles title at Wimbledon, and twice tasted victory on the WTA Tour with wins at the Malaysian and Korean Opens. She was also the losing finalist at the 2010 season-ending Tournament of Champions.

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

2 users thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
frida on 5/27/2013(UTC), Alireza on 6/20/2013(UTC)
Dartagnan
#67 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2013 8:43:56 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russians score wins at French Open

Today, 4:52

Михаил Южный

At the French Open in the men’s draw, Russia’s Mikhail Youzhny, seeded 29th, beat 8-seed Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia 6-4 6-4 6-3.

He will now be facing veteran German player Tommy Haas, seeded 12th in round four.

In the women’s draw, Russians Maria Sharapova and countrywoman Maria Kirilenko both celebrated wins in their round 3 matches. In round four the two will be facing Sloane Stephens and Bethanie Mattek-Sands, respectively, both of the U.S.

frida on 6/2/2013(UTC), Alireza on 6/20/2013(UTC)
Dartagnan
#68 Posted : Friday, June 07, 2013 6:27:06 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia’s duo Makarova/Vesnina through to French Open final

06/08/2013

веснина макарова теннис против словакии победа

At the French Open on Friday Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci battled into their fifth final in the last six Grand Slams, defeating Russia’s Nadia Petrova and Slovenia’s Katarina Srebotnik in three sets in the semifinals.

Awaiting the co-World No.1s in the final will be No.4 seeds, Russia’s Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina, who made it past No.2 seeds and former French Open champions Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka, 64 75.

Makarova and Vesnina stormed back from 4-1 down in the second set to close it out.

Errani and Vinci have beaten Makarova and Vesnina in all four of their previous meetings.

Makarova and Vesnina are playing their first Grand Slam doubles final together.

RIA

CROUCHING TIGER on 6/8/2013(UTC), Alireza on 6/20/2013(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#70 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 2:06:18 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1880 time(s) in 1250 post(s)

Russians Triumph In Doubles Final 

Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina upset top seeds and defending champions Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci to win the French Open title.

Published June 09, 2013 12:01

PARIS, France - Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina upset the odds and the defending champions to win the doubles title at Roland Garros on Sunday.

Over the past two seasons, Makarova and Vesnina have been among the leading WTA doubles teams, but prior to this fortnight had yet to taste Grand Slam success. However, against Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci, they finally laid these ghosts to rest with two sets of near-flawless clay court tennis.

After breaking in the penultimate game to edge a tight opening set, the Russians reeled off four in a row at the start of the second to take a stranglehold of the match. It was a grip they would not relinquish, wrapping up a 75 62 win when Vesnina put away one final overhead on match point.

It was a clinical end to what had been a flawless fortnight - the No.4 seeds did not drop a set en route to the title.

"Honestly, for us, it's a surprise that we didn't drop a set for the whole tournament, because it was a really difficult tournament," Vesnina said. "It's always tough to even win one match here."

Makarova and Vesnina first joined forces on Fed Cup duty five years ago, but have only been a regular partnership since the start of 2012, and they now have four titles together.

"We have been together since last year, and I think we are a good team," Vesnina added. "We understand each other pretty good and have a lot of confidence right now.

"We've had some good wins this year and also last year, so maybe this win has brought us some confidence. And we were playing really good today in the final."

It was the first time the duo had got the better of Errani and Vinci, who had won the teams' last four encounters, including a quarterfinal in Paris 12 months ago.

"I think we're extra happy because we beat them for the first time. We played a lot of times against them and they're the best team in the world," Makarova added. "They're playing so good, so it's really tough to play against them, especially on clay.

"I'm so happy that we played so solid today and played exactly how we wanted to. We kept all the time to our game strategy and it worked today really well. It's a great feeling to win our first Grand Slam."

Victory also brought to an end an unenviable run in Grand Slam finals for Vesnina, who had previously lost three mixed and three women's doubles finals. "All these Grand Slam finals that I had were great memories and great experiences for me," she said. "Every time they were close matches, and the opponents were just a little bit more lucky or they deserved that win more than me.

"This time me and Katia were really feeling good together. We were feeling each other. We were helping each other and supporting each other on the court. We were not thinking it was a final or a Grand Slam, we were just thinking that we have to beat them and we have to keep playing our game, not changing anything and believing in ourselves.

"I think it was a great final and two close sets. It was fun to play, and I think for the people it was fun to watch, or I hope so, at least!"

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
4 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 6/10/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 6/11/2013(UTC), frida on 6/18/2013(UTC), Alireza on 6/20/2013(UTC)
Dartagnan
#71 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2013 7:22:44 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia’s Pavlyuchenkova left Hingis – Coach

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

MOSCOW, June 17 (R-Sport) – Former World women’s tennis No. 1 Martina Hingis is no longer coaching Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Russian national team coach Vladimir Kamelzon told R-Sport on Monday.

The 21-year-old Russian hooked up with the Swiss star in April and soon took her fifth title in Oeiras, Portugal.

But since then her results have taken a slide, with only one win in her last three tournaments, and she crashed out of the French Open with a second-round defeat to 171th-ranked Petra Cetkovska.

It took the 21st-ranked player to seven wins and four defeats under Hingis.

“Pavlyuchenkova and Hingis didn’t agree on the methods of preparation and I had expected it,” Kamelzon said. “In order to win Grand Slam tournaments you need to have a coach, not a player with a big name.”

Pavlyuchenkova is to reunite with her brother Alexander, who coached her from September 2009 through October 2010 and guided her to her first two WTA titles in Monterrey and Istanbul.

“Pavlyuchenkova is back in training with her brother Alexander who will take her through preparations for Wimbledon,” said Kamelzon, referring to the third Grand Slam of the season which starts next week.

“He has done a lot for her, then they parted for some time, but now she realizes that it’s best to work with him.”

Pavlyuchenkova is looking to improve upon two third-round appearances at Wimbledon in 2008 and 2010.

3 users thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
Alireza on 6/17/2013(UTC), frida on 6/18/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 6/18/2013(UTC)
Dartagnan
#72 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:38:46 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

St. Petersburg Open Plans to Double Prize Fund to $1M

St. Petersburg Open Plans to Double Prize Fund to $1M

MOSCOW, June 19 (R-Sport) – In an attempt to stock its draws with big-name tennis stars, the St. Petersburg Open is planning to double its prize fund to $1 million, organizers said on Wednesday.

Since 2008, when then-world No. 4 Andy Murray won the title, only one top-10 player – Russian Mikhail Youzhny, who was ranked ninth at the time – has appeared at the hard-court September tournament, which has been an annual ATP event since 1995.

Last year, Youzhny was the top-ranked player at 29. Frenchman Gilles Simon was the top player in 2011 as the world No. 11.

Tournament director Mikhail Rydnik said in an online statement that a provisional agreement had been struck with the Association of Tennis Professionals to boost the prize fund "to strengthen the participant list and make the St. Petersburg Open a more important tennis event."

With the beefed-up cash pool, the tournament will surpass the 22-year-old Kremlin Cup, which offers nearly $750,000. The Moscow tournament, held in October, has also struggled to attract premier talent in recent years.

The St. Petersburg Open runs from September 14th to the 22nd.

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
Alireza on 6/20/2013(UTC)
Dartagnan
#73 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2013 2:23:26 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia’s Kleybanova Attempts Tennis Comeback in US

22:28 01/07/2013

WASHINGTON, July 1 (RIA Novosti) – Alisa Kleybanova, the Russian professional tennis player whose career was derailed by a battle with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma is back on the court Monday at the SP Gold River Challenger professional women's tennis tournament in California.

Kleybanova, 23, had earned more than $20 million and won two Women’s Tennis Association titles when diagnosed with cancer in late 2011. At her peak ranked 20th in the world, Kleybanova was forced to stop playing for two years, and is currently ranked 940th.

The Gold River Challenger will be Kleybanova’s third tournament this year as she attempts to return to the top. Kleybanova won the singles trophy in the first tournament of her comeback in May in Pennsylvania, and was runner-up in her second in Buffalo, New York in June.

On Monday she is facing Julia Boserup, an American player ranked by the WTA as 174th in the world, but seeded first in the tournament.

The Gold River Challenger, part of the USTA Pro Circuit, offers $50,000 in prize money.

CROUCHING TIGER
#74 Posted : Wednesday, September 04, 2013 10:28:25 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Russian last hope for a win...DAVAI TO THE DOUBLE-QUEENS !!!

CROUCHING TIGER
#75 Posted : Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:28:29 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Sorry girls and that includes Pavly & Nadja, but this reflects "the spirit" of this second week.

Somewhere one hold on to these last hopes...nope, this GS was "OVER" before it "BEGUN"...SUCKS

in all departments. A few good, very good matches i that first week and then came the rain and the

lights went out...as if the darkness of all this was a mirror of the even darker political scene...

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/5/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#76 Posted : Thursday, September 05, 2013 11:55:42 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

FOR ALISA...

- While her US Open campaign may have ended in second round defeat, Alisa Keybanova knows that she has come out on top in a far more important battle over the past few years.

In July 2011, Kleybanova's charge up the rankings was placed on hold indefinitely when she was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. After a successful course of treatment the Russian briefly returned to the tour last year before making a full-time comeback in May.

Since then Kleybanova has mixed in the odd high-profile tournament with appearances on the ITF Circuit as she eases herself back into competitive tennis. The US Open was her highest-profile outing to date, although Kleybanova was certainly not overawed by the step up.

"I don't feel any difference now being at the Grand Slam locker room or big event locker room," Kleybanova said. "It's still the same players. The atmosphere is pretty much the same.

"Of course, a Grand Slam is one of the most important tournaments of the year, but I'm not thinking about that right now. You know, I haven't played every tournament throughout the year like everyone else.

"For me, it's one of the first big tournaments I've played since a long break. I'm just taking it step by step, enjoying it every day, trying to improve as much as I can, and, you know, play my best tennis."

While her progress has been steady rather than spectacular, there have certainly been encouraging signs, such as her hard-fought victory over the high-flying Monica Puig in the first round last week.

"If you go on the court you have to want to win that match, and I went on the court and I wanted to win that match," she said after her win over Puig. "And I knew it would be tough because here everyone is tough to beat.

"But my goal was to end up winning the match no matter what it takes. It took a very long time, but I did it, and I'm very happy about it."

As encouraging as her showing in the year's final major was, the Russian is level-headed enough not to get carried away. "It's still hard for me to say how it's going to be in the long run because I haven't played many matches yet.

"I've been training a lot. I know I'm doing the right things. I know I'm getting there. But I still need a lot more matches, a lot more tournaments to be more consistent and to feel better on the court.

"Everything is a little bit new for me right now, so I'm just trying to feel everything, you know, and try to deal with things as good as I can for the moment. I just try to win every point and try not to think about which tournament I'm playing or how important it is."

paul_pipkin on 9/5/2013(UTC), Alireza on 10/15/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#77 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:05:51 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Former world no. 5 Anna Chakvetadze announces her retirement from the game...

http://www.tennisworldus...game-articolo12882.html

Loved u "chackster"....

paul_pipkin
#78 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:42:36 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: CROUCHING TIGER Go to Quoted Post
Former world no. 5 Anna Chakvetadze announces her retirement from the game...

http://www.tennisworldus...-game-articolo12882.html

Loved u "chackster"....

Some newer fans may not remember her even now, but we will.

She should first join Shamil's Fed Cup crew.  Commentary, I doubt--she'd be great but they won't let her. A Russian who knows TOO much--won't let her get on a global mic.

2 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 9/12/2013(UTC), Alireza on 10/15/2013(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#79 Posted : Wednesday, October 09, 2013 4:08:34 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

From http://www.kremlincup.ru/db/news/2798 

The RTF President Shamil Tarpischev noted that this year the press conference coincides with the start of the Olympic torch relay and the birthday of the President of the Russian Federation. ‘It is quite symbolic because ‘Kremlin Cup’ is an important event in our country’s life, the oldest tennis tournament held every year in Russia on a permanent basis’, said Shamil Tarpischev. He expressed his certitude    the 25th edition of the Kremlin Cup next year with the support of the Bank of Moscow will mark the sport life of the country. The RTF President announced the release of a movie about the tournament and of a book on the history of Kremlin Cup specially published for the anniversary.   When speaking about the perspectives of the tournament, he said ‘in the future the tournament can compete for a Glam Slam status’ because there is an idea of creating six Grand Slams instead of four. ‘It is an idea for now but we can aspire and work in this direction’, said Shamil Tarpischev.

Tell me what I've said for years: Eurasia & Eastasia are on the drawing boards!

2 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 10/10/2013(UTC), Alireza on 10/15/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#80 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:54:08 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Kleybanova Wins Epic In Moscow !!!

Alisa Kleybanova marked her first appearance at the Kremlin Cup for three years with an epic three set victory over Varvara Lepchenko on Monday.

Watch live action from Moscow and Luxembourg all week on WTA Live powered by TennisTV!

Having reached the quarter and semifinals on her past two appearances in Moscow, Kleybanova's battle with Hodgkin's lymphoma forced her to watch on from the sidelines in 2011 and 2012.

"I was very excited to be back here because it's been a long time that I've been waiting to play this tournament," Kleybanova said. "I'm really happy with how I dealt with all the stress - I actually felt really good out there and that's one of the reasons I was able to hold myself together in such a tough match and actually play some good tennis."

Kleybanova started brightly, but, despite holding three set points at 6-5 in the opening set, eventually dropped it on a tie-break.

She responded to this setback in fine fashion, feeding off the partisan crowd to level the match before breaking in the final game of the decider to close out a 67(6) 64 64 win.

"It was a really tough match right from the first point and I actually didn't even know we played so long," Kleybanova said of their three-hour, 11-minute encounter. "Here you don't have any windows or sunshine so you completely lose sense of time and I was just so into the game that I wasn't even thinking about how much time it was taking.

"It's great, the crowd was amazing today. We were also playing some good tennis and when you play well the crowd finds it hard not to support you. I'm very happy that so many people were here cheering for me so much today."

Elsewhere there were wins for Kleybanova's fellow Russians, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.

Like Kleybanova, Kuznetsova was making her return to Moscow, having missed last year's tournament with a knee injury, and after a slow start settled down to defeat Lesia Tsurenko, 75 62. Pavlyuchenkova, meanwhile, was untroubled, during a quick-fire 60 63 win over Caroline Garcia.

"I was very nervous in the start of the match because I haven't played in Moscow in a while," Kuznetsova said. "I so wanted to do well that I was very tense and that's why I couldn't just play my normal game as I needed time to loosen up."

Also advancing was Alizé Cornet, who strengthened her chances of reaching the Tournament Of Champions in Sofia with a 75 63 victory against Elina Svitolina.

"She's a very young player and very talented so I knew I had a tough match in front of me," Cornet said. "I was very solid, especially in the important moments, and that's why I won.

Alireza on 10/15/2013(UTC), paul_pipkin on 10/15/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#81 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:35:54 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

THE CUP !!!

The first round wrapped up and the second round began at the Kremlin Cup on Wednesday, though it was a very mixed day for the seeds at the Premier-level tournament.

Watch live action from Moscow & Luxembourg all week on WTA Live powered by TennisTV!

There was actually only one first round match left and it was Sam Stosur's. Coming off her second WTA title of the year in Osaka, the No.7-seeded Australian lost just nine points in eight service games - and didn't even lose a point on serve in the second set - to beat Kaia Kanepi in 65 minutes, 63 61.

Stosur had lost her only previous meeting with Kanepi in straight sets, at Wimbledon in 2010.

"Kaia can be a really dangerous opponent, so I really tried to start out the match well and on top and I feel like I kind of carried on from Osaka," Stosur commented. "I thought I played really well today."

After a season plagued by injury and inconsistency, Stosur finds herself down at No.19 in the world at the moment - it would be a tough ask to finish in the Top 10 this year, which she has done the last three years. But the former World No.4 is making one last push to get as close as she possibly can.

"My goal is to keep winning as many matches as I can," Stosur said. "Obviously my ranking has slipped a little bit, so if I can just get it a little bit higher, it would be great to finish the season on a high. I hope to keep playing well this week, then some good practice next week, and then to Sofia."

One of the first second round matches of the day saw No.8 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova close out Swedish qualifier Sofia Arvidsson, 62 75. Arvidsson led 4-2 in the second set and had a point for 5-2.

"It was a difficult match," Kuznetsova said. "Sofia came into the match with a lot of confidence - she has been playing and winning many matches - but I managed to make it through. It was hard, but I was playing better than I did in my first match. I'm getting better with every match, which is important."

Later in the day, Kuznetsova held a very popular autograph session, signing for swarms of fans - the two-time Grand Slam champion and former No.2 was touched at all of the support they showed her.

"It means a lot to me, but it also means a lot to them, which makes me happier," Kuznetsova said. "They are excited to meet pro athletes. I'm happy to do something that makes other people happy."

Kuznetsova and Stosur are playing doubles together here, winning their first match on Tuesday.

"We played the US Open and Beijing together, too - it's just a bit of fun to play with Svetlana," Stosur said. "And obviously playing here in her hometown, everyone knows her and supports us a lot.

"Hopefully we can have a good tournament together!"

The next few matches were upsets, with Russian wildcard Alisa Kleybanova slamming 11 aces and battling back from 4-2 down in the second set to pick off No.6 seed Carla Suárez Navarro, 76(2) 64, and Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova beating No.3 seed Maria Kirilenko in an all-Russian duel, 63 63.

It was a particularly special victory for Kleybanova - this is the first time since her Hodgkin's lymphoma diagnosis more than two years ago that she has reached a WTA quarterfinal, or won back-to-back WTA main draw matches at all. The Russian made a full comeback to WTA competiton this summer.

No.2 seed Roberta Vinci stopped the pattern at night with a 26 61 64 victory over Elena Vesnina.