logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

M's thigh patting
Bob Thomas
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:02:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Does anybody know why Maria pats her left thigh -- 2Xs usually, I think -- when she's waiting to receive a serve?  Has she ever made mention of it, and if so, what did she say?  I figure it's to get her psyched up for the return, or maybe it's gone to sleep or isn't paying attention, and she's trying to wake it up.  I don't listen to the commentators, so if they have ever said anything about it I wouldn't know.

1 user thanked Bob Thomas for this useful post.
adrian555 on 8/28/2013(UTC)
adrian555
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:54:46 PM(UTC)

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Come sit on my knee ?
appaloosa
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:22:15 PM(UTC)
appaloosa

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 108 post(s)

Bob Thomas;326633 wrote:

Does anybody know why Maria pats her left thigh -- 2Xs usually, I think -- when she's waiting to receive a serve?  Has she ever made mention of it, and if so, what did she say?  I figure it's to get her psyched up for the return, or maybe it's gone to sleep or isn't paying attention, and she's trying to wake it up.  I don't listen to the commentators, so if they have ever said anything about it I wouldn't know.

As you watch players more closely, particularly those players you like, nuances start to appear. 

Usually they were always there, you just didn't notices them.  Nadal is a prime example.  Watching him

before a serve is enough to drive you crazy.

Maria has them too.  Among other things, she doesn't walk on lines, she always turns her back to the

court after a point to focus and yes, adjust her strings.  After a win she always goes back out on the

court  and throws a kiss and waves to each quadrant as she acknowledges the audience.  Azerenka later

stole this unique touch from Maria because she had no identity of her own, she had no respect for other

players and she generally portrays herself as one of entitlement.  Maria's fist-pump and "YAAAH!!!"

scream after an important point are generally used around the circuit.  The pounding of the her thigh

(oh, stop my pounding heart) as she readies herself to receive a serve is, I believe, unique to Maria and

seems to be meant to help her focus. 

2 users thanked appaloosa for this useful post.
Bob Thomas on 8/29/2013(UTC), Jyotifrvr on 8/29/2013(UTC)