logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Western & Southern Open - Cincinnati 2013
paul_pipkin
#61 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:59:45 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1881 time(s) in 1250 post(s)

In Shoutbox. Imnumber2 said no confidence, & it struck me how little it was like watching Isinbayeva today. Of course, Yelena was in the Luzhniki with tens of thousands who love her. But the couple times she hit the bar, she just went on, said her mantra & vaulted again--and again.

When she finished, she was in the medals but there was no certainty of gold. She did not watch the others finish, just jerked her thumb over her shoulder, winked & laughed for the camera. Either she's not totally what most of us call "sane" (a possibility) or that gal has something going on.

These are entirely different sports & Masha has never had anything like that sorta savoir faire, but I can't help feeling she's kinda cut off from whatever she needs to hold onto.

Can't resist the observation: Isinbayeva once made a terrible mistake in her career she had to redress before she could go on. Maria might ponder that.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
3 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
appaloosa on 8/13/2013(UTC), Alireza on 8/14/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 8/14/2013(UTC)
Alireza
#62 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:43:42 AM(UTC)
Alireza

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 965 time(s) in 508 post(s)

What's wrong with Maria? What 's she doing?? Withdrawing from two tournaments then losing at the first round!

Maybe she needs Thomas.

I don't know what will happen at the US Open but I wish Maria plays better and stronger, like past.

Persian Gulf FOREVER -Arabs can not change the history, they can't cheat-
Alireza
#63 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:50:17 AM(UTC)
Alireza

Azarenka's Winning Return In Cincy

CINCINNATI, OH, USA - After missing Toronto last week with a low back injury, Victoria Azarenka made a winning return on Tuesday, beating Vania King at the Western & Southern Open, 61 76(6).

It was anything but easy, though. After Azarenka won the first set handily in 28 minutes, the two embarked on a marathon 73-minute second set, with King winning the first three games for a 3-0 lead and even getting to double break point for a 4-0 lead. Azarenka clawed back and eventually pushed it to a tie-break, where King again stormed ahead 3-0, and eventually held a set point leading 6-5.

But the No.2-seeded Azarenka hung on, winning three straight points to edge the American qualifier.

"I think the beginning of the second set wasn't very good for me," Azarenka said after the match. "There were quite a few unforced errors and just really fast mistakes that didn't happen in the first set. It went kind of quickly, but I was glad that I could turn it around there and come back even stronger.

"Then there was competitiveness. She was already in the game and playing at a much higher level than before, and going for her shots. So I had to stay with her and just take my opportunities, and I did.

"There was a little bit of inconsistency today, but first matches can be tricky. I just want to think about what I need to improve for my next match. That's the most important thing for me going forward."

As for the set point, it happens all the time when players go up against top players - the top player comes through on the biggest points. "I always believe that until it's done, you always have a chance," Azarenka, a former World No.1, said. "It doesn't matter what the score is as long as you're trying to do your best, trying to win that point. If the result is different in the end, you know you gave your best.

"I always try to stay in the moment and fight for every ball no matter what the score is."

Azarenka was also asked in her presser about who she enjoys playing most on the tour. And, fittingly, she pointed to the one player who epitomizes fighting for every ball and staying in the moment.

"Oh, that's a tough one. There are so many players that I've played already. But one of my toughest competitions has always been Serena. I feel like our matches make me grow. So I choose her.

"Growth in terms of being a tennis player, pushing my limits, and assessing what you have to do to be at the top of the game. You always take a lot more from losses, and I've lost quite a few to her.

"She always makes me grow."

1 user thanked Alireza for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 8/14/2013(UTC)
Philli Wan
#64 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:02:15 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 135 post(s)

You're not surprised, are you?  I told you..The slide starts here.  Thomas was a hard man, a trainer and a dedicated coach.  He demanded attention from his players and he got their respect.  He didn't give a shit that Maria is the highest, richest paid sportswoman...he's not her banker, he was there to teach her to play better tennis.  But, She abused his time and screwed around with other things and eventually ignored his instructions and lost when she should have won. 

Enter the Dragon...or should I say draggin'  Jimbo, the over age, overweight, one time great player who really just wants to enjoy his 'retirement'.  He'll let Maria run free, please herself, practice when she feels like it and sit there in the stands and get embarrassed when she looses to a much lower ranked player.  But he'll only put up with it for so long, then, like Roddick, he will pull the plug and drop her.

Maria hates practising, she said so herself. Since Wimbledon she has hardly done anything that you could call serious practice and it's not because of the hip...that was bullshit.  Thomas blew her out because she wanted a holiday with Grigor, to get laid, and then to do some shoots.  Enough was enough. 

Well, there are no byes at the US Open, so she'll be on court from Round One.  Like I said..first week out.  Serena must be laughing her fat ass off. 

1 user thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 8/14/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#65 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:59:14 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2870 time(s) in 1723 post(s)

Permalink voor ingesloten afbeelding

Mission accomplished LOL

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
CROUCHING TIGER
#66 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:02:49 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

http://www.wtatennis.com...ti-stephens-vs-sharapova

Congratz' Sloane...

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
appaloosa on 8/15/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#67 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:27:37 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

MASON, Ohio -- Maria Sharapova's return to WTA tournament play after more than a month away was short-lived following an upset loss to 17th-ranked American Sloane Stephens 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-3 in the second round of the Western & Southern Open on Tuesday.

In a match that lasted 2 hours, 22 minutes, Stephens overcame losing the first set and the first two games of the second and double faults on two match points to pick up her first victory over Sharapova in four meetings.

"It definitely started out rough," Stephens said. "A set and 0-2, she was killing it. I'm glad I was able to turn it around and start playing good tennis."

Sharapova, the 2011 W&S champion and a 2010 finalist, showed no traces of the hip injury that had kept her sidelined since a second-round loss at Wimbledon.

"I thought I started the match off pretty well, but when you put yourself in a really good position, you can't let it go," Sharapova said. "That's what I did tonight. I didn't continue what I was doing well for the first set and a half, and that hurt me.

"You know, I stopped being patient. I started making a lot more errors, especially off the first ball -- just errors that I shouldn't make. Obviously I haven't played in a long time, but I can't make that excuse for myself because I've got to be ready from the first match. So it's obviously disappointing, but that's the way it goes in this game."

Jimmy Connors, who won the tournament 41 years ago, watched from the stands in his first match as Sharapova's coach. She hired Connors, the 1972 champion and a 1986 finalist, in mid-July.

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
Alain44 on 8/15/2013(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#69 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 10:16:54 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1881 time(s) in 1250 post(s)

There is also this: The "top" players got a little too snotty--all of 'em. The mouthpieces incessantly make believe everything's a done deal & too many players buy in.

Earlier yesterday, Varvara Lepchenko took out Pennetta & Alize Cornet dismissed Ivanovic, though it took her for-ev-er to close.  

This phenom ain't over. Watch out for upcomers--all the way thru the USO.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
2 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 8/14/2013(UTC), appaloosa on 8/14/2013(UTC)
Imnumber2
#68 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 10:44:36 AM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

Originally Posted by: CROUCHING TIGER Go to Quoted Post
MASON, Ohio -- Maria Sharapova's return to WTA tournament play after more than a month away was short-lived following an upset loss to 17th-ranked American Sloane Stephens 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-3 in the second round of the Western & Southern Open on Tuesday.

In a match that lasted 2 hours, 22 minutes, Stephens overcame losing the first set and the first two games of the second and double faults on two match points to pick up her first victory over Sharapova in four meetings.

"It definitely started out rough," Stephens said. "A set and 0-2, she was killing it. I'm glad I was able to turn it around and start playing good tennis."

Sharapova, the 2011 W&S champion and a 2010 finalist, showed no traces of the hip injury that had kept her sidelined since a second-round loss at Wimbledon.

"I thought I started the match off pretty well, but when you put yourself in a really good position, you can't let it go," Sharapova said. "That's what I did tonight. I didn't continue what I was doing well for the first set and a half, and that hurt me.

"You know, I stopped being patient. I started making a lot more errors, especially off the first ball -- just errors that I shouldn't make. Obviously I haven't played in a long time, but I can't make that excuse for myself because I've got to be ready from the first match. So it's obviously disappointing, but that's the way it goes in this game."

Jimmy Connors, who won the tournament 41 years ago, watched from the stands in his first match as Sharapova's coach. She hired Connors, the 1972 champion and a 1986 finalist, in mid-July.

Noted that "she stopped being patient" during her match last night which means that  Jimmy wants her to play a game that is out of her comfort zone! it explains now why!. moving forward hope she'll learn from this lost and that goes for Jimmy as well.

The question is whether they want to apply major changes on her game now.

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
2 users thanked Imnumber2 for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/14/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 8/15/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#71 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:46:47 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

http://youtu.be/ULVqa2x9_IY

Maria Sharapova vs Sloane Stephens Cincinnati 2013 Highlights

ENJOY :)

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
matchpoint on 8/14/2013(UTC), appaloosa on 8/14/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 8/15/2013(UTC)
matchpoint
#72 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:22:40 PM(UTC)
matchpoint

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)

I see that Maria used some slice shots and took some points doing it. Also she started to come in when she saw her opponent was driven deep and had a weak shot stance. Not only that, she has begun to hit soft shots just over the net rather than slamming the ball back where the opponent is. I can only wonder...what took so long?

I see no sense in glueing oneself to the baseline when you can cut the angle and response time, given that the opponent is, of course, shooting from a compromised position. It takes a little discernment to make these calls, especially with today's racquets. She needs to learn the importance of this skill set.

I'm not sure why she was so far back during return of serve, and I am guessing that her legs are still suspect from the falls at Wimbledon. When she is in form, her legs are as quick as scissors when returning. Something is still not 100%.

I can only guess what caused the meltdown. On the scorecard, they do not show unforced errors, and she had a ton of them. Again, I call 'legs' not right. A pull or sharp pain near the joint takes a bit of time to get back. In tennis, legs are much more than 50%.

I noted that her % of points won was actually higher on second serves than on first...a lot higher, until later in the match. Also, she had zero doubles in the first set.

I did bring up a streaming link, thanks to Paul on the shoutbox. But they are erratic, rife with ads, and even swallowed browsers. Though I would have enjoyed seeing the whole match, I am confident is saying that her legs gave out, from the pull on the grass. She was lauching forehands like frisbees near the end of the match.

I think everyone should give her a break, and maybe lay off the Hogstedt love which is really hate on Maria. He didn't change or add anything we hadn't already seen from Maria in her prime. (To be fair, someone changed her swing, thank God, which was disastrous, and would have ended her career if allowed to continue. That over the shoulder rodeo thing she had going on. Lots of folk do this; they just don't sense the damage yet). She just sort of stayed there, plateaued, and everyone thinks it's because he has her running around like a effin top doing cardios all the time. It was because she changed her swing, which enabled her to continue on, and pretty much exactly as before. If I am missing something, then someone come along and point out exactly what, strategically, Thomas brought to her game. 

As for the whole celibacy=great athlete crap, don't blame Thomas for that, he just signs the things; he doesn't write them out. It's already deeply engrained in Maria's head. It's just one of the many bonds that must be broken. Hopefully Thomas will recover. Crap like that scares me. Have you seen the incisive, almost surgical look on her face, after a match, when she closes in to sign the camera? Just remember that this look is for an awaiting ice bath. Imagine were this routine reversed?? If she used that look intead when just before getting into bed? (It's pretty complicated and I don't want to venture into this speculative arena).

I remember reading that Ivanovic fired a boyfriend because her game dropped off badly, coincident with their bourgening romance. Then I consider Thor....when he stopped sucking his mother's tit, it exploded, and that's how come we have the stars. You can't just ignore something, and then divert all of it's motive force into the game. First there has to be something to divert. Balance. Balance. The thing must be kept alive, tended to, or there's not a lot to place into the game. It would atrophy. Back and forth back and forth.

I'm guessing it could work both ways. But it's not something she can talk about on camera. 

I dunno. I'm no athlete. The truth is that were I exchanging even moderate groundstrokes with a pro, I'd be on my knees in less than 10 minutes. Real tennis is exhausting. The first thing to go would be the normally well grooved, at amateur speeds, forehand, starting to fly over the fence. And there's no way I'd be able to take an ice bath. I'd never take it that far. The ice baths give me pause for worry. It means she is inflaming her sinews? (She has been mentioning ice baths and using this as a caption for her forehands during practice on face book btw). Or maybe it's a Russian thing? I'd go for a massage instead. Less trauma. 

If Thor hadn't needed so much milk, however, would we have any stars? It happened when he stopped drinking. Not because he needed the milk, but because he ceased to need it. What if Thor didn't breastfeed at all...? 

As for training...well I can't jog across the street without my eyes growing dim with boredom. But when I am playing with a yellow ball, it's as if I am not even straining. There is a psychological element which prevents wear and tear, and causes the body to delight with the struggle. I think she should spend more time running around in panties, just thinking about things. All of us must think. But someone must wear the panties.

Certainly hard exercise is needed; they don't just let Maria perform, after all, whenever she feels like it. So...having the resultant effect of hard work is necessary, in nearly every single match. An average player can beat a top player on any given day if the top player is just a little out of synch. But there are ways to perfect (practice) a discipline without it becoming a drag. Not ever. Didn't Sonic Youth write a song about this? I saw the catchy title once...never listened to it. 

3 users thanked matchpoint for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/14/2013(UTC), appaloosa on 8/14/2013(UTC), Brebis on 8/15/2013(UTC)
Philli Wan
#74 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:02:45 PM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 135 post(s)

Anybody bother to read the excerpt from Shape Magazine on the homepage here.  Obviously it was done just a few weeks ago...total bullcrap as regards her daily training schedule.  But, this really got me.  I had no idea she had been around for sooooo long.  Quote:........'There's no doubt she'll put on a show for the sport. After all, Sharapova's made her mark on the court for the past 22 years with more than just her backhand.'   22 years????  Who writes that crap?.

3 users thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
appaloosa on 8/14/2013(UTC), paul_pipkin on 8/14/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 8/15/2013(UTC)
appaloosa
#70 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:28:40 PM(UTC)
appaloosa

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 108 post(s)

Originally Posted by: paul_pipkin Go to Quoted Post

There is also this: The "top" players got a little too snotty--all of 'em. The mouthpieces incessantly make believe everything's a done deal & too many players buy in.

Earlier yesterday, Varvara Lepchenko took out Pennetta & Alize Cornet dismissed Ivanovic, though it took her for-ev-er to close.  

This phenom ain't over. Watch out for upcomers--all the way thru the USO.

Today, Genie Bouchard took a run at s. williams.  She managed to take a set and keep williams off balance for a while.  She generally kept her cool and I was very impressed.  I watched through various feeds that I believe initiated with the Tennis Channel.  You got me stirred up Paul, when you mentioned "mouthpieces".  You will recall the WTA just shouted to the world that they had reached a multi-year deal with this "broadcaster".  I have tried to be respectful, but their on-air people and interviewers are for the most part, pathetic !!  With all due respect to my "Ausie" friends, these old warhorses seem to have been dragged out of a pile of rubble somewhere in Brisbane (otherwise, a nice town).  They continually make outrageous claims, have the match determined before it begins, jump allegiance at every point, can't pronounce the players' names (even the higher ranked ones), continually make unfounded presumptions, either talk OVER the play or go silent for complete games, make rediculous statements and conjectures regarding players' personal lives.  I could go on... suffice it to say they are  unprofessional, unknowledgeable and outdated.

With the new SAP agreement, which promises to deliver much more historical and current data on an immediate basis, it will be interesting to see (not really) whether these guys screw up and misinterpret the data right before their eyes, or ramble on spewing out monotonous drivel to the point where, in our confusion, we wonder if there is a match being played at all.

3 users thanked appaloosa for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/14/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 8/15/2013(UTC), Alireza on 8/15/2013(UTC)
appaloosa
#75 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:52:02 PM(UTC)
appaloosa

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 108 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Philli Wan Go to Quoted Post

Anybody bother to read the excerpt from Shape Magazine on the homepage here.  Obviously it was done just a few weeks ago...total bullcrap as regards her daily training schedule.  But, this really got me.  I had no idea she had been around for sooooo long.  Quote:........'There's no doubt she'll put on a show for the sport. After all, Sharapova's made her mark on the court for the past 22 years with more than just her backhand.'   22 years????  Who writes that crap?.

.   22 years ago Maria was having fun at a friend's birthday party.  Preoccupied with all the goings on, she tripped over a tennis racquet and picked it up.  "Who owns this tennis racquet?" asked Maria.  "It must be yours." answered another little girl.  And the legend began.  This is what they call 'truth in advirtising'.  There isn't any.  Maria is a marketable commodity.  Whatever works.  This too, is crap.

1 user thanked appaloosa for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/14/2013(UTC)
midaso
#73 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:47:15 PM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)

Originally Posted by: matchpoint Go to Quoted Post

I think she should spend more time running around in panties, just thinking about things.

As long as a picture is provided

1 user thanked midaso for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/14/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#76 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:44:55 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Future already today ???

CROUCHING TIGER
#77 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:43:02 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Marion Bartoli announces retirement !!!

http://www.aljazeera.com.../201381581413170766.html

Will miss her a lot...

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
Alireza on 8/15/2013(UTC), paul_pipkin on 8/15/2013(UTC), appaloosa on 8/15/2013(UTC)
Alireza
#78 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:31:41 AM(UTC)
Alireza

Marion Bartoli announces retirement !!!

http://www.aljazeera.com.../201381581413170766.html

Will miss her a lot...

Yeaah, agree

2 users thanked Alireza for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/15/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 8/15/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#79 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 11:39:14 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Marion Bartoli: 5 reasons why we'll remember her playing career...

http://www.live-tennis.c...ing-career-201308150008/

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
appaloosa on 8/15/2013(UTC), paul_pipkin on 8/15/2013(UTC)
Brebis
#80 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:15:54 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 369 time(s) in 218 post(s)

Marion Bartoli: 5 reasons why we'll remember her playing career...

http://www.live-tennis.c...ing-career-201308150008/

What a coward to end your career right after winning your first Grand Slam.