logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Elina Svitolina
paul_pipkin
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 3:13:11 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1878 time(s) in 1248 post(s)

Svitolina Wins First WTA Title In Baku

Ukrainian teenager Elina Svitolina captured her first WTA title at the Baku Cup, beating Shahar Peer in the final. Who was the last teenager to win a WTA title, and when was it? Read on...

Published July 28, 2013 12:03

Elina Svitolina

BAKU, Azerbaijan - Playing in her first WTA final, Elina Svitolina won her first WTA title at the Baku Cup on Sunday, beating Shahar Peer in the final of the International-level tournament, 64 64.

Both players had taken out some big names to make the final - the unseeded Peer took out No.3 seed Chanelle Scheepers in the second round, the No.7-seeded Svitolina scored back-to-back upsets over No.2 seed Donna Vekic and No.4 seed Alexandra Cadantu in the quarters and semis, respectively.

This was Svitolina's day though, as her power game was just too sharp for the more solid Peer, and that power was summed up on match point - she blasted a big ace out wide on the ad side to end it.

"Thank you Shahar for a great final," Svitolina said in the trophy ceremony. "It was a very tough match today and I had a lot of tough matches throughout the week, but I worked really hard coming into the tournament, and it turned out well for me. Thanks to everyone and I'll see you all next year."

"I'd like to congratulate you Elina - you played great," Peer said. "I was really happy to be in the final and in this position to win a title, and although I didn't win today, this tournament was great and I had a great time in Baku. Thanks to everyone for everything, and I hope to be back here next year."

At 18 years, 10 months and 16 days, Svitolina holds a special distinction now - she is the first teenager to win a WTA title in 2013. She is actually the first teenager in 17 months to win a WTA title (the last one was Timea Babos at Monterrey in February 2012, aged 18 years, 9 months and 16 days).

Peer, a former World No.11 who is now down at No.149 in the world after a rough couple of years, was playing her first WTA final since College Park two years ago. She is now 5-4 lifetime in WTA finals.

"I'm really happy I achieved the finals," Peer said afterwards. "I've had a lot of tough moments the last few years and I did play well this week - I have to only take the positives from this tournament."

The doubles went to No.2 seeds Irina Buryachok and Oksana Kalashnikova, who beat Eleni Daniilidou and Aleksandra Krunic in the final, 46 76(3) 104. Buryachok won her second WTA doubles title (she won here last year with Valeria Solovyeva) while Kalashnikova won her first WTA title of any kind.

- See more at: http://www.wtatennis.com...aku#sthash.tJLpwnJc.dpuf

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
4 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 7/29/2013(UTC), nazanine on 7/29/2013(UTC), frida on 7/29/2013(UTC), Alireza on 7/29/2013(UTC)
frida
#2 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 10:26:57 AM(UTC)
frida

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1668 time(s) in 673 post(s)

Originally Posted by: paul_pipkin Go to Quoted Post

Ukrainian teenager Elina Svitolina captured her first WTA title at the Baku Cup, beating Shahar Peer in the final. Who was the last teenager to win a WTA title, and when was it? Read on...

Published July 28, 2013 12:03

Elina Svitolina

BAKU, Azerbaijan - Playing in her first WTA final, Elina Svitolina won her first WTA title at the Baku Cup on Sunday, beating Shahar Peer in the final of the International-level tournament, 64 64.

Both players had taken out some big names to make the final - the unseeded Peer took out No.3 seed Chanelle Scheepers in the second round, the No.7-seeded Svitolina scored back-to-back upsets over No.2 seed Donna Vekic and No.4 seed Alexandra Cadantu in the quarters and semis, respectively.

This was Svitolina's day though, as her power game was just too sharp for the more solid Peer, and that power was summed up on match point - she blasted a big ace out wide on the ad side to end it.

"Thank you Shahar for a great final," Svitolina said in the trophy ceremony. "It was a very tough match today and I had a lot of tough matches throughout the week, but I worked really hard coming into the tournament, and it turned out well for me. Thanks to everyone and I'll see you all next year."

"I'd like to congratulate you Elina - you played great," Peer said. "I was really happy to be in the final and in this position to win a title, and although I didn't win today, this tournament was great and I had a great time in Baku. Thanks to everyone for everything, and I hope to be back here next year."

At 18 years, 10 months and 16 days, Svitolina holds a special distinction now - she is the first teenager to win a WTA title in 2013. She is actually the first teenager in 17 months to win a WTA title (the last one was Timea Babos at Monterrey in February 2012, aged 18 years, 9 months and 16 days).

Peer, a former World No.11 who is now down at No.149 in the world after a rough couple of years, was playing her first WTA final since College Park two years ago. She is now 5-4 lifetime in WTA finals.

"I'm really happy I achieved the finals," Peer said afterwards. "I've had a lot of tough moments the last few years and I did play well this week - I have to only take the positives from this tournament."

The doubles went to No.2 seeds Irina Buryachok and Oksana Kalashnikova, who beat Eleni Daniilidou and Aleksandra Krunic in the final, 46 76(3) 104. Buryachok won her second WTA doubles title (she won here last year with Valeria Solovyeva) while Kalashnikova won her first WTA title of any kind.

- See more at: http://www.wtatennis.com...aku#sthash.tJLpwnJc.dpuf

Congratulations  , hope to see her in higher levels of tennis in next years Good luck ....

2 users thanked frida for this useful post.
Alireza on 7/29/2013(UTC), nazanine on 8/1/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:05:13 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2864 time(s) in 1720 post(s)
THE ALTERNATE...Elina SVITOLINA

The 64 64 scoreline may look routine, but the match was anything but - one of the recurring themes was that Halep would build a lead and Cornet would catch up, with a 3-1 first set lead becoming 3-3 and a 5-2 second set lead narrowing to 5-4 - but Halep would just close the set out both times.

The pattern came up again in the final game at 64 54, with Halep serving up a 40-15 lead and double match point, only to watch a huge Cornet forehand winner go by her on the first and double fault the second away - but the No.1-seeded Romanian closed the No.7-seeded Frenchwoman out on No.3.

Halep gave a shout out to the big group of supporters who are in town from neighboring Romania.

"This tournament is very special for me, being close to home and having so much support from the public," she said in her post-match press conference. "Quite a lot of them are my family and friends!"

Halep's win over Cornet was her 50th match win of the year, making her just the fourth player to reach that milestone after Serena Williams (78), Agnieszka Radwanska (56) and Petra Kvitova (51). Roberta Vinci currently has 49 match wins on the year and could also make it to 50 in Fed Cup this weekend.

Now 2-0 in Group Serdika, and 4-0 in sets, Halep is the first player through to the semifinals of the Garanti Koza WTA Tournament Of Champions. She will play alternate Elina Svitolina in her last match.

"I was a little tired tonight and didn't serve so well, but I stayed focused and I'm very happy to be through to the semifinals," Halep commented. "My match tomorrow is still important, because if I lose, it will not be so easy to come back two days later and play such an important match as the semis.

"I want to keep my winning momentum!"

Cornet still has her eye on the semifinals this week, as she discussed later in her presser.

"Although I lost I think I played a good match," Cornet said about the match. "That motivates me because I think I am on the right way - serving well and playing aggressively. That's what I need to do and If I keep this up, I think I have a shot at winning my match on Friday and playing the semifinals."

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 10/31/2013(UTC), Alireza on 4/1/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:12:24 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Svitolina plays as an alternate in "SOFIA CHAMPIONS"...good luck to her !!!

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 10/31/2013(UTC), Alireza on 4/1/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 01, 2014 10:49:13 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Elina Svitolina: New No.1 Teenager...funny;compare the picture above and this one:)

http://www.wtatennis.com...tolina-new-no1-teenager

Same is it:)

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
Alireza on 4/1/2014(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 02, 2014 10:52:28 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

https://twitter.com/live...382933836668930/photo/1

And another for the NEAR future...ELINA SVITOLINA !!!