logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

18 Pages«<15161718>
Wimbledon 2013
frida
#323 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 2:49:25 PM(UTC)
frida

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1668 time(s) in 673 post(s)

Bartoli's Dream Comes True At Wimbledon

With a huge ace out wide that painted the line, a split second of silence fell upon the Centre Court crowd - Marion Bartoli, who fell in the final in 2007, finally made all of her dreams come true.

Bartoli's Dream Comes True At Wimbledon

Six years ago she made an inspiring run to her first Grand Slam final here, but came away without the title - and on Saturday, six years later, Marion Bartoli righted all of those wrongs, playing a near-flawless final against Sabine Lisicki to win the biggest prize there is.

After a scratchy start to the match - she lost serve in the opening game, double faulting on break point - Bartoli broke back right away in the next game to even things at 1-all, then ran off the next five games too, eventually tucking away the 30-minute opening frame, 6-1, on a Lisicki forehand into the net.

Lisicki temporarily stopped the momentum, holding serve to open the second set, but Bartoli went on another run from there, winning five games in a row to build a 5-1 second set lead, then bringing up three match points on Lisicki's serve in that game. It was looking a lot like a foregone conclusion.

It wasn't the end just yet though - Lisicki fought off all three of those match points, one with a winner, one with an unreturnable serve, one with a Bartoli backhand error - then held serve, broke and held serve again. Things were looking dubious for Bartoli - a 61 51 lead was now cut to a 61 54 lead.

But, serving for her first Grand Slam title, Bartoli stepped up to the baseline one last time and served up a love game, firing an ace out wide, chalk flying up, on her fourth match point. It was over, 61 64.

With the kind of visible joy that could only come out after realizing a childhood dream, Bartoli ran to her box, embracing her father Walter, Amelie Mauresmao and Kristina Mladenovic, among many others.

The Frenchwoman then made her way to the BBC's Sue Barkerfor the traditional on-court interview.

"Honestly I still can't believe it," Bartoli beamed. "I've dreamed about this moment for so long. For me, winning Wimbledon is beyond my wildest dreams, let alone with an ace - but I've been practicing my serve for so long, I guess I saved it for the best moment! I'm so happy to be holding this trophy.

"This has been my dream since I was six years old."

She also had some comforting words for an emotional Lisicki. "I was there in '07 and missed it, and I know how it feels," she said. "Sabine, believe me you will be there again. I have no doubt about it."

A little later, Bartoli made her way off the court and elaborated on the day with ESPN's Tom Rinaldi.

"I honestly just can't believe it," she said. "I feel like I'm going to wake up and none of this will have happened. I was just really focused on every single point out there. I saw the finish line at 5-1 but then she started playing so well - but to finish it with an ace is just amazing. I'm so happy right now."

And on the hug with her father in her player box? "It was incredible. I started to play tennis with him when I was five and a half, picking up my first racquet and hitting balls over the net. So winning this and sharing the moment with him was really my all time goal. I feel like I could retire tomorrow.

"To share this kind of happiness with him, and everyone, it's just amazing."

Bartoli's victory may even be the sweetest victory in the Open Era - this was the 47th Grand Slam tournament she has played in her career, making it the longest wait for a first Grand Slam title in the Open Era. Jana Novotna had the previous record, winning in her 45th attempt at Wimbledon in 1998.

4 users thanked frida for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 7/6/2013(UTC), Alireza on 7/7/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 7/7/2013(UTC), Dartagnan on 7/7/2013(UTC)
frida
#324 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 3:31:03 PM(UTC)
frida

The Championships - Wimbledon 2013: Day Twelve

Yes, Just smile like this. Don't cry ... You did all your best Sabine

5 users thanked frida for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 7/6/2013(UTC), Alireza on 7/7/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 7/7/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 7/8/2013(UTC), appaloosa on 8/15/2013(UTC)
frida
#325 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 3:33:22 PM(UTC)
frida

The Championships - Wimbledon 2013: Day Twelve

Congratulations Marion You deserved to win

5 users thanked frida for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 7/6/2013(UTC), Alireza on 7/7/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 7/7/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 7/8/2013(UTC), appaloosa on 8/15/2013(UTC)
frida
#326 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 3:35:40 PM(UTC)
frida

Sabine Lisicki of Germany looks at her runners-up trophy as Marion Bartoli of France holds her winners trophy, the Venus Rosewater Dish, after their women's singles final tennis match at the Wimbledon

Come On Sabine !! That trophy isn't bad too ;) ;)

4 users thanked frida for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 7/6/2013(UTC), Alireza on 7/7/2013(UTC), Dartagnan on 7/7/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 7/8/2013(UTC)
Philli Wan
#328 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 4:53:28 PM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 134 post(s)

Dart, you really get on my nerves with your total idolation of Sharapova. Before you start bitching about Bartoli's easy run to the Final, you should check out Maria's runs to the final over the years. Since 2004, which was a fluke, she has never managed to win Wimbledon again despite getting to the final several times.  Kvitova took the title away from her a couple of years ago...probably also a one time win for her.. but it just shows that the favorite (Maria) doesn't always win, unless your name is Serena AND YOU DO make it to the final, then you can Thrash whoever your opponent might be.

As regards Maria being the best player in the World...give it a rest will you.  She isn't, and will never be,  at least in reality...in your mind perhaps.

2 users thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 7/7/2013(UTC), appaloosa on 8/15/2013(UTC)
Feyenoord
#329 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 8:37:12 PM(UTC)
Feyenoord

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Het is nooit erg om de Duitsers zien te verliezen in een finale

Imnumber2
#334 Posted : Saturday, July 06, 2013 9:01:04 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

Well, Well, Well, who would have thought ha! However, $ 1.2M isn't tht bad for Lisicki right? but $2.4 M for Bartoli SHIT!!!! that's a lot of DO$ 

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
midaso
#331 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 12:31:24 AM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)

Philli Wan;325133 wrote:

Dart, you really get on my nerves with your total idolation of Sharapova. Before you start bitching about Bartoli's easy run to the Final, you should check out Maria's runs to the final over the years. Since 2004, which was a fluke, she has never managed to win Wimbledon again despite getting to the final several times.  Kvitova took the title away from her a couple of years ago...probably also a one time win for her.. but it just shows that the favorite (Maria) doesn't always win, unless your name is Serena AND YOU DO make it to the final, then you can Thrash whoever your opponent might be.

As regards Maria being the best player in the World...give it a rest will you.  She isn't, and will never be,  at least in reality...in your mind perhaps.

2004 wasn't a fluke. I've said it before,teenage Maria was FAR better on grass than current Maria.

Brebis
#332 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 12:32:29 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)

Philli Wan;325133 wrote:

" despite getting to the final several times "   ???   Do your home work Philli.

Brebis
#330 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 12:33:36 AM(UTC)

Feyenoord;325137 wrote:

Het is nooit erg om de Duitsers zien te verliezen in een finale

Grappig !!  Ja, in dat opzicht heb je gelijk.

CROUCHING TIGER
#336 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 4:14:09 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2862 time(s) in 1718 post(s)

(USA TODAY Sports Images)

Once again, MANY CONGRATULATIONS for a GREAT WIN...MARION, the new nr. SEVEN :)

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
Alain44 on 7/7/2013(UTC), frida on 7/8/2013(UTC), appaloosa on 8/15/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#337 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 4:37:06 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Thx Philli Wan, agree completely about that enervating adoration

I like what Masha does, won't deny that, but see also great tennis by

other players and do appreciate that too. Having an "open mind" here

is simply "not done" ! 

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
appaloosa on 8/15/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#338 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:16:26 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Hsieh/Peng won the DOUBLES....Congratz to the Asian girls <3<3<3

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
Alireza on 7/7/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 7/7/2013(UTC), frida on 7/8/2013(UTC)
Alireza
#339 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 6:12:44 AM(UTC)
Alireza

Was thanked: 965 time(s) in 508 post(s)

MARION AFTER THE FINAL

On the close ending in the match...
"I was just trying to focus on my own game and try to remain calm out there, even if I had this 5-1 lead in the second set and 15-40 on her serve and couldn't close it out. Sabine started to play very well and came back to 5-4. I thought I really had to hold my serve one more time. And to finish on an ace to win Wimbledon - you saw the chalk come out of the line - I mean, I could have seen it in slow motion. I could see the ball landing, chalk came out, it's an ace, and I've just won Wimbledon. It was amazing.

"You cannot put into any words what I felt in that moment. I couldn't believe I just won Wimbledon. We'll have to see the pictures and see the match on DVD again to kind of start to realize it."

On whether this victory will change her life...
"It will not change me as a person because I will always remain the same: very humble, very low key and easy going, down to earth. But just hearing 'Wimbledon champion' sounds good to me! It has been my dream. I wanted that so badly. I was always saying the goal of my career was to win a Grand Slam.

"Dare to dream. I kept dreaming. I kept my head up. I kept working hard, and it just happened."

On her unique game - two hands both sides, returning inside the baseline, etc...
"Well, it's always been a part of my personality to be different. Being just like the other ones is kind of boring, I think. I really embrace being a bit different and doing something not everyone is doing.

"I actually love that part of my game, being able to do something different, playing inside the court or whatever. Today I was pretty smart to kind of back up a little bit, to give me an extra half a second or something to react to Sabine's serve - because sometimes you have to adapt, as well. But I never felt like I wanted to be like all the other kids and just do exactly the same as everyone else."

On hugging her father in the player box...
"Honestly, it was an amazing feeling. I still can't realize I just won Wimbledon. I can't realize I'm a Wimbledon champion. It's just so overwhelming. I don't know if you can really realize it, but for a tennis player, you start to play at five or six years old. When you decide to turn pro, your dream is to win a Grand Slam. You dream about it every single day. You think about it every single day. So when it happens, you feel like you've achieved something you've dreamed about for millions of hours. You went through the pain, you went through tears, the low moments, and it actually happened.

"Those five or 10 seconds on the court before you shake hands with your opponent, you feel like you're almost not even walking on Earth anymore. You're really flying. It's really hard to describe how it felt. So to share this moment with my dad - I was looking at him in the players' box - he was really cheering me on. He was on his phone for almost the whole match. I don't know what was happening, but he was really relaxed. That was the perfect day. It was sunny. It was beautiful. Centre Court at Wimbledon, it was packed. I won the match in two sets. I didn't drop a set for the whole championship.

"Even in my perfect dream I couldn't have dreamed a moment like that. It was beyond perfection."

On how much more she thinks she can do in her career...
"I have absolutely no idea, but one Grand Slam is pretty good for me. Wimbledon champ - even if I don't get another one, I will still be very proud of it. But of course I'm going to try my hardest to get some more. Now that I got one, I definitely believe I can get more of them. I just want to enjoy this one because I still haven't realized I'm really the Wimbledon champion 2013. So it will take me a few more days to realize it. And when I do, I'll maybe think about the US Open and getting a shot over there."

Persian Gulf FOREVER -Arabs can not change the history, they can't cheat-
3 users thanked Alireza for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 7/7/2013(UTC), Alain44 on 7/7/2013(UTC), appaloosa on 8/15/2013(UTC)
Dartagnan
#333 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 7:31:30 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Philli Wan;325133 wrote:

You should remember that Maria Sharapova is not a robot or a overdoped person, she can't win all tournaments. Maria Sharapova is an human being, she needs a rest sometimes...

If Maria Sharapova were overdoped like Lance Armstrong, she would have won all tournaments and Grand Slams each years, may be you would be happy if she were doped...

BUT Remember, the honesty is a part of Maria Sharpova's game. 

Maria Sharapova has won a tournament in Germany this year, she was also a finalist in a usa&italian&french tournament this year. She did her best. She worked hard with her team. It took her a lot of energy...Others tennis players didn't reach these finals...so it is normal that they are fresher than Maria. 

Yes Maria Sharapova didn't win a final against Kvitova but she recently defeated Kvitova several times so she increased her level in tennis. 

Anyway Maria Sharapova is a very good tennis player but sometimes she can lose a match. 

Dimitrov defeated Djokovic that doesn't mean that Djokovic is a bad tennis player...

Maria Sharapova is the best tennis player of the planet, not in my mind but in reality...she is an excellent tennis player in reality...

People who don't recognize the great merit of Maria Sharapova in tennis, are ungrateful. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
Alireza on 7/7/2013(UTC)
Brebis
#340 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 3:32:52 PM(UTC)

The tournament couldn't have ended worse with the win of Andy Murrey. Let's forget this all quickly and focus on the hard court season. " Go Maria go " !!!!

2 users thanked Brebis for this useful post.
frida on 7/8/2013(UTC), Alireza on 7/8/2013(UTC)
Philli Wan
#341 Posted : Sunday, July 07, 2013 3:58:02 PM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Talking to Dart. is like trying to have a religious discussion with a Muslim. 

2 users thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 7/8/2013(UTC), appaloosa on 8/15/2013(UTC)
Alireza
#342 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 1:25:12 AM(UTC)
Alireza

Was thanked: 965 time(s) in 508 post(s)

Philli Wan;325174 wrote:

Talking to Dart. is like trying to have a religious discussion with a Muslim. 

Why? Becasue he is right? Dartagnan's posts are very acceptable and logical!

I don't know why you are here, It's clear that you're not even Maria's fan and your posts are against Maria! Your profile picture also shows that! And most of the members know that your posts are very stupid!

Persian Gulf FOREVER -Arabs can not change the history, they can't cheat-
CROUCHING TIGER
#343 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 5:13:05 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

http://blogs.telegraph.c...-never-understand-that/

FOR SCOTLAND MURRAY ???

Philli Wan
#344 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 7:00:46 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

You are right Alizera, Muslims cant cheat, they are too stupid...but they can lie.  Like stealing buildings from the Christians and other religions and writing Farsi all over them and claiming that they built them...like the Taj Mahal.  The Taj Mahal was originally one of the 7 Shiva Temples of India and was standing 500 years before the Muslims even went to India.