Bartoli becomes only the third Frenchwoman to win Wimbledon, following in the footsteps of 1920s great Suzanne Lenglen and Amelie Mauresmo, who won in 2006.

Bartoli's victory came six years after her only previous Grand Slam final, also at Wimbledon's Centre Court, a defeat to Venus Williams in 2007.

She is the lowest-seeded woman to win a slam since Francesca Schiavone tasted victory from 17th at the 2010 French Open.

"Honestly I cannot believe it. When I was a little girl I dreamt of this moment for so long. I missed out in 2007, I know what it is like and I'm sure Sabine will be here one more time, no doubt about it," she said in televised comments.

Bartoli came into the tournament as the 15th seed and enjoyed a far more straightforward path to the final than Lisicki, whose defeat of world no. 1 Serena Williams in the quarterfinals was the biggest in a series of shock results at SW19 this year.

Lisicki opened the final by breaking Bartoli's serve first game but then crumbled as the Frenchwoman used her giant forehands to blast her way to winning the next seven games.

Lisicki saved three championship points at 5-2 down in the second set and then broke Bartoli's serve to hint at a possible great escape, but it was not to be as Bartoli closed out the match in her next service game.

Had she won, Lisicki would have been the first German woman to win a Grand Slam since Steffi Graf won the last of 22 top-level titles at Roland Garros in 1999. She blamed nerves for her defeat.

"I was overwhelmed by the whole situation," she said in televised comments.

Bartoli earns almost $2.4 million for her victory, with Lisicki bagging half that amount.

R-Sport