logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<7891011>
Roland Garros 2013
Dartagnan
#164 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 7:15:24 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

midaso;324170 wrote:
I think that match against Jankovic is the type of match that can give her a big boost. It is important she gets off to a better start against Vika,and doesn't fold mentally. It will be a tough ask,but I think she can do it

How can we explain this 0 6 ? 

First, Jelena Jankovic thought she was going to win this match after the first set. 

I think Jankovic's team had studied carefully Maria's tennis game that is why Jelena had a big success during the first set. 

But Maria quickly changed the situation during the second set because Maria has a good experience in tennis. 

BUT the victory is more important than losing badly a set. 

Maria Sharapova should understand that other teams study her tennis game very carefully. 

Maria knows Vika's tennis very well, if Maria wants to defeat Vika, she will use the right method. 

Sharapova Battles Past Jankovic Into French Open Semis

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

3 users thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 6/5/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 6/5/2013(UTC), frida on 6/6/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#165 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 12:32:31 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)
MASHA IS MORE FIGHTER THEN GLAMOUR

Sharapova has managed to achieve, given how few clubs she has in her bag.
-- Dale Stafford, Washington, D.C.

Not only do I agree, but we were also talking about this earlier this week. Despite the perception that Serena is romping during a compromised era, there are numerous and sundry talented players. Not least Kuznetsova, a two-time major winner who, for an hour Tuesday, went blow-for-blow with Williams in Serena's 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 victory in the French Open quarterfinals.

The problem is consistency. So many players sail for an hour before returning to terra firma. So many players can get hot for an event (see: Kvitova, Petra) but lack the staying power. So many players play confident tennis for a season but then doubt themselves (Wozniacki, Caroline), and their rankings go down the mineshaft.

Which brings us to Sharapova, who won a 0-6, 6-4, 6-3 alley fight (and an allez fight, for that matter) against Jelena Jankovic in the quarterfinals Wednesday. She'll face No. 3 Victoria Azarenka in the semifinals, with the winner likely getting Williams in the final.

"[Azarenka and I] have played each other so many times there are really no secrets between each other in terms of our game styles and what we do well and not," said Sharapova, who is 5-7 against Azarenka, though they haven't played this year.

Sharapova won Wimbledon in 2004. Almost a decade later, she is still consistently reaching the latter rounds of Slams. Lord knows money isn't the motivation. She doesn't have to be doing this to pay bills. Lord knows there are more talented players. Lord knows there are more graceful and fluid movers. (Notice her side of the court on clay. She still hasn't figured out how to slide.) Yet she has put herself in position to defend her title.

I know she polarizes many of you. I know you dislike her screaming and her unimaginative play and her relentless endorsing. And, yes, her record against Williams inspires cringes. But here's an athlete who cuts no corners. Who grinds on the practice courts. Who plays all over the world because she loves competing and devoting herself to her craft. A pro's pro.

We got another example Wednesday. Sharapova was blanked in the first set. We see plenty of players -- male and female, old and young -- pack it in at this stage. Not my day. The opponent was too good. Sharapova, though, embraces the fray.

"She was a bit in cruise control," Sharapova said. "No matter how many errors I made or how disappointed I was with the way I started the match, I knew that I still could try to create chances out there."

Sharapova had to grind out the second set. At 3-3 in the third, she simply fired without inhibition and won the next three games to finish it out. We'll say it again: Her sensibilities are at odds with her image. Sorry, sponsors, but she's a street fighter at heart.

"I do find it meaningful when I have to dig deep in order to find the bonuses out of the match," Sharapova said. "Sometimes you just have to get the job done, and I did today."

Tennis -- like most sports -- has a way of hyping athletes in a way that isn't always commensurate with achievement. That's not the case with Sharapova. Never mind the records, the career Slam, the weeks at No. 1, the 29 WTA titles. Just watch her play and then consider how much she does with so little. Early in her career, she may have drawn inevitable comparisons to Anna Kournikova. Now a more apt comparison might be David Ferrer.

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 6/6/2013(UTC), frida on 6/6/2013(UTC), Brebis on 6/6/2013(UTC)
frida
#166 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 5:41:28 AM(UTC)
frida

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1668 time(s) in 673 post(s)

Something interesting, Top 25 highest-paid athletes in the world sports.yahoo.com/photos/top-25-richest-athletes-in-the-world-slideshow/
Maria is no.22 in the list .

frida
#167 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 5:56:25 AM(UTC)
frida

Was thanked: 1668 time(s) in 673 post(s)

French Open Thursday: Semifinal Time

Victoria Azarenka takes on Maria Sharapova at Roland Garros on Thursday looking to become the first player since 2008 to reach three straight Grand Slam finals.

French Open Thursday: Semifinal Time

Victoria Azarenka takes on 2012 champion Maria Sharapova in the first of Thursday's semifinals, before Serena Williams steps out to meet Sara Errani .

Thursday, Semifinals

Court Philippe Chatrier
[2]Maria Sharapova (RUS #2) vs. [3] Victoria Azarenka (BLR #3)
Head-to-head:
Azarenka leads 7-5
The WTA's fiercest rivalry resumes on Thursday afternoon, as semifinal debutante Victoria Azarenka takes on defending champion Maria Sharapova. Last year, the pair met six times, and while Azarenka had the edge it was Sharapova that dominated the only clay court encounter.

Sharapova's excellent record on clay over the past few years - she has won 35 of her last 37 matches on the surface - suggests she holds the edge in this latest installment. However, Azarenka is showing, in both word and deed, signs of growing to love the dirt too; in the press conference after her impressive straight set win over Maria Kirilenko in the last eight, she talked at length of her "growing relationship" with the clay.

Azarenka is striking the ball as well as she has since the Australian Open and has been particularly dangerous on the return, breaking serve 31 times in five matches. If she continues to return in this vein and serve in the controlled manner she did against both Kirilenko and Schiavone, she will take some stopping.

The battle of the backhands has traditionally played an important role in determining the outcome of previous encounters, as has the destination of the first set; nine of the 12 matches have been won by the player taking the opener and Sharapova will be desperate to avoid the sluggish start she produced against Jelena Jankovic last time out.

[1] Serena Williams (USA #1) vs. [5] Sara Errani (ITA #5)
Head-to-head:
Williams leads 5-0
Following Azarenka and Sharapova on Chatrier will be Sara Errani's bid to shock the tennis world and reach back-to-back Roland Garros finals. If she is to do that, she will need to score her first ever Top 3 victory. And the ominous statistics do not end there; Errani's semifinal foe, Serena Williams, has won all five of their career meetings and is currently riding high on a 29-match winning run.

Yet despite all the numbers pointing to a Williams win, her struggle against Svetlana Kuznetsova in the quarterfinals proved she is not invincible. She is also appearing in the semifinals at Roland Garros for the first time in a decade, and with that elusive second title now within touching distance, Errani will hope to exploit any potential nerves

For the most part, the World No.1 is likely to play the part of the aggressor, with the indefatigable Errani settling into her usual role of counterpuncher. Errani had some success in their recent meeting in Madrid, mixing up the pace and trajectory of her groundstrokes and the occasional venture to the net.

The Italian broke through one glass ceiling when she defeated Agnieszka Radwanska  for her first Top 5 win in the last round, and she will need to raise her level once more if she is to stand a chance of upsetting the top seed.

1 user thanked frida for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 6/6/2013(UTC)
midaso
#168 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 8:47:30 AM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Maria wins first set 6-1. This is how much better she is than Vika when both play their normal games. Hope Maria can keep her standards up and not let her back into the match
midaso
#169 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 9:25:13 AM(UTC)
midaso

F**K ME. Loses the 2nd set 6-2. What is this? Probably done now,just can't allow lapses like this against top players
deadchip
#170 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 9:31:01 AM(UTC)
deadchip

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hey Midaso, Paul, Philli and I are in the shoutbox chat room on the forum opening page. Can't believe she didn't finish it off and let Vika back in. Hope her level comes back to that of the first set after the rain stops, because she was absolutely awesome in that set. COME ON MARIA!!!
Masha is my #1!!
ShelbyK
#173 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:01:26 AM(UTC)
ShelbyK

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)
One more match!
CROUCHING TIGER
#174 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:30:37 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

AND SHE DID IT...MISSION SIX : DONE

GREAT, TENSE MATCH but WON 61 26 64 over Vika AZARENKA...DAVAI MASHA...DAVAI !!!

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
raf72 on 6/6/2013(UTC), Brebis on 6/6/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#176 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:43:18 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
raf72 on 6/6/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#177 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:47:43 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

So now we know. Maria Sharapova’s winning formula at Roland Garros 2013 is to lose either the entire first set or at least her opening service to love. From there, she’s a surefire winner. In her quarter-final she went for the more drastic option of the two; in her semi-final against Victoria Azarenka it was just the opening game wipe-out before she won 6-1, 2-6, 6-4. It is a tactic she might want to rethink if she is to be successful in defending her title on Saturday; and it will help no end to scythe the unforced errors (39 here), most especially double faults – 11 in the match, and four in one game, potentially a fatal haemorrhage. But the depth on her groundstrokes saved her, and the woman who once loathed the very sight of clay is through to her second straight French Open final.

Coming in to this match, Azarenka actually led their career jousts 7-5. They played six times last year alone, and she also edged those 4-2 – but tellingly Sharapova had won both their clay-court meetings. So it was to prove again in Azarenka’s debut semi-final at Roland Garros.

In baking heat on Philippe Chatrier Court, this match was the expected big noise from the off. Sharapova’s errors cost her that opening game, including two doubles, yet from there she tore off with the first set, leaving the Australian Open champion dazed. All Azarenka could do was applaud when lobbed perfectly, and Sharapova won the set on an ace. Azarenka had won just 20% of points on her first service – desperate stuff in any case, but utterly hopeless in the face of the Russian’s 91%.

Azarenka had the air of a novice climber on a sheer rockface at the start of the second; but at 3-2 on service she was still there, and then her blitzing return forced an error for 4-2. At 5-2 rain fell and umbrellas went up. Sharapova was keen to go off and Azarenka, funnily enough, was not. After lengthy discussions they continued, and two set points came up with a disputed call – Sharapova insisted the mark on the court showed Azarenka’s ball to be out, but the umpire ruled that it had clipped the line. Sharapova aced to save the first set point – then double-faulted to hand it over.

The Russian nipped off for a bathroom break, which turned out to last half an hour as the rain began falling in earnest and play was suspended. That break all but killed Azarenka’s hard-earned momentum. In the humid air, the atmosphere was suddenly heightened; battle was afoot and every point felt like 30-all. Sharapova bagged the break for 2-1 with a crosscourt scorcher – and then came that game where she delivered four double faults. Every time her first service missed the mark, dread was written on her face. But next game she stole Azarenka’s service again, forging through the Belarusian's defences from the baseline. At 5-2 she served for a place in the final and stuttered, allowing four match points to go by. Two of them tested the limits of the shriek-o-meter in a 14-minute game which culminated in successive Sharapova double faults. But at 5-4 she got it right with an ace down the centre line, and a place in the final was hers.

"The break changed the momentum for sure," said Azarenka. "I was trying to make things happen too quickly and started missing the ball. I'm not happy about the match, but I think it was a good fight. Overall I have to give myself credit for going one step further. This French Open is definitely the best for me so far."

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
raf72 on 6/6/2013(UTC), paul_pipkin on 6/6/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#178 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:51:59 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Permalink voor ingesloten afbeelding

She wrote "THANK YOU"...

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
raf72 on 6/6/2013(UTC), paul_pipkin on 6/6/2013(UTC), Dartagnan on 6/6/2013(UTC)
sarahmassimo
#179 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 12:00:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)

What terrible and fantastic match!!!

We suffered a lot but we won! Great Maria!!!

A little bit fear on 5/2 and 5 match points saved by Azarenka, break, 5-4 but very perfect last game with 3 good first serves and final ace!!!!

DAVAI MASHA!!!!!!!!!

2 users thanked sarahmassimo for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 6/6/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 6/7/2013(UTC)
raf72
#180 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 12:36:57 PM(UTC)
raf72

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 70 post(s)
...However it goes on saturday's final against King Kong, we all saw a great Maria this Roland Garros!! GO MARIA GO...WE LOVE YOU!!!!!
2 users thanked raf72 for this useful post.
Brebis
#175 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 2:18:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)

CROUCHING TIGER;324188 wrote:

AND SHE DID IT...MISSION SIX : DONE

GREAT, TENSE MATCH but WON 61 26 64 over Vika AZARENKA...DAVAI MASHA...DAVAI !!!

Your match update is working Tiger !!  You can spread the news right up to the end !! 

2 users thanked Brebis for this useful post.
Brebis
#139 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 2:22:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)

Philli Wan;324127 wrote:

It's about time Maria's stomach problems came back again...it's getting very close to the 'that' time again.

This time your plan isn't working !!  You can't fool us anymore. Have a great day on Saturday.

Dartagnan
#140 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 5:06:09 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Sharapova to Face Serena Williams in Roland Garros Final

MOSCOW, June 6 (R-Sport) – Tennis world No. 2 Maria Sharapova will face world No. 1 Serena Williams in the French Open final on Saturday after delivering a straight-set defeat to third-ranked Victoria Azarenka in the semifinals on Thursday.

The Russian star, whose performance was far from flawless, reached her second consecutive final at Roland Garros with a 6-1, 2-6, 6-4 victory in two hours and 10 minutes.

The defending French Open champion will look to defend her title on Saturday against Williams.

Williams and Sharapova have never played each other at the French Open and Saturday's final will be their first Grand Slam match since Wimbledon in 2010.

Who would win the final of RG a Siberian tigress (Maria S.) or an African lioness (Serena W.)?

The Lioness and the tigress are among the most ferocious animals  (Number 1 & Number 2 ) but there are important differences between them. They are both among the four big cats (the other two being jaguar and leopard) and are apex predators, i.e. they have no predators of their own and reside at the top of their food chain.

But finally we think the tigress will win because the lioness may be faster but the tigress is stronger and more smarter.

Siberian Tiger vs African Lion. Siberian tiger is two times bigger than African Lion.

VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKTP1NnZjYk

MASHA IS BACK FOR THE BIG GAME!!!!! DAVAI MASHA !!!!

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Dartagnan
#141 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 5:19:18 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Who would win the final of RG a Siberian tigress (Maria S.) or an African lioness (Serena W.)? 

Wild Tigers encounter aggresive Lions! Rare must watch!@!

VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unAWZQkFLTg

MASHA IS BACK FOR THE BIG GAME!!!!! DAVAI MASHA !!!!

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 6/7/2013(UTC)
midaso
#171 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 5:23:59 PM(UTC)
midaso

deadchip;324182 wrote:
Hey Midaso, Paul, Philli and I are in the shoutbox chat room on the forum opening page. Can't believe she didn't finish it off and let Vika back in. Hope her level comes back to that of the first set after the rain stops, because she was absolutely awesome in that set. COME ON MARIA!!!

Sorry,I had to leave at that point in the match and miss the 3rd set. Great to hear she came back and won. Unfortunately,now she has to play Mike Tyson in the final so her chances are small,but miracles do happen...

Dartagnan
#172 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2013 5:48:20 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

midaso;324205 wrote:

deadchip;324182 wrote:

Sorry,I had to leave at that point in the match and miss the 3rd set. Great to hear she came back and won. Unfortunately,now she has to play Mike Tyson in the final so her chances are small,but miracles do happen...

Maria has 50% chance to win the final, it is not only a question of strength but also a question of a clever&good strategy...

So if Maria is smarter on the court, she will win.

Old loses are also a good experiences in tennis....

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 6/7/2013(UTC)