logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<678910>»
Roland Garros 2013
Brebis
#145 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 3:15:46 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)

paul_pipkin;324132 wrote:

Brebis;324130 wrote:

This was the only opportunity  for Serena to loose this tournament, unfortunately Kutzi lost ! No, if I me be so honest, looking at how Serena plays and how arrogant she is, there is no other alternitive for that girl other than to win in Paris !!  

And if she can't, she may destroy herself on court, & we can watch?

Unfortunately , I'll be at work !! Can't see the match.

Dartagnan
#144 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 5:00:04 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

paul_pipkin;324132 wrote:

Brebis;324130 wrote:

This was the only opportunity  for Serena to loose this tournament, unfortunately Kutzi lost ! No, if I me be so honest, looking at how Serena plays and how arrogant she is, there is no other alternitive for that girl other than to win in Paris !!  

And if she can't, she may destroy herself on court, & we can watch?

I don't think that Serena will win this tournament. I think she will destroy her racket first...

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 6/5/2013(UTC)
midaso
#146 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 5:27:03 PM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)

Oh well,Kuzi tried her best,but not good enough in the end. Looks like the big black b*tch is going to win. And no,that's not racism - she's a big b*tch who just happens to be black

2 users thanked midaso for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 6/4/2013(UTC), matchpoint on 6/5/2013(UTC)
Dartagnan
#147 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 5:36:59 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

midaso;324139 wrote:

Oh well,Kuzi tried her best,but not good enough in the end. Looks like the big black b*tch is going to win. And no,that's not racism - she's a big b*tch who just happens to be black

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 6/5/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#148 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 12:40:14 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)

Sharapova and Jankovic to relive junior clay clashes in quarters Sharapova and Jankovic to relive junior clay clashes in quarters

Perhaps one of the reasons why Maria Sharapova and Jelena Jankovic both reached the No.1 ranking is because when they were kids, they battled each other so hard at the Nick Bollettieri Academy in Florida that they drove each other to new competitive heights.

When they meet in the quarter-finals of Roland Garros on Wednesday, it will be the first time that they face off on clay as pros. Sharapova owns a 7-1 head-to-head record against the Serb, but three of their matches in the pros have gone the distance.

Jankovic, who had a difficult 2012, has revived her game during the past three months and is itching to get a shot at the defending champion on a slower surface where her movement can reign supreme.

Sharapova thinks they may have faced off on clay when they were kids. “It was when we were 12 years old maybe, does that count?” Jankovic asked.

Any win or loss between the two seems to matter. They are not enemies, but they are not friends either as both vied for the attention of their academy coaches and were told that if they wanted to be the best, they had to think like the best, which meant that they had have a take-no-prisoners approach where they put their own needs front and centre.

“We always wanted to be better than one another,” Jankovic said, “that’s why we are great competitors now that we have got older. We want to fight, play the matches, we love the challenges. I didn’t want to practise, I wanted to compete and go play matches on the backcourts. At Bollettieri’s there are 150 courts and we just played and played (to get) better… We were fighting, competing against each other, doing anything to win. We were girls at a young age that had rivalries. It should be like that on court but when you leave the court you should be able to go out and have normal life.”

Sharapova admittedly has a terrible memory, but does have some recall when it comes her pre-pro clashes against JJ. At Bollettieri’s, both were placed in an elite group of juniors that also included France’s Tatiana Golovin and Paul Henri-Mathieu.

"We'd always be playing in the semis or finals, all the time. Every week we'd be playing against each other,” Sharapova said.

Sharapova knows exactly what she has to do to win the match: attack early and often and control the points before Jankovic gets her feet moving. Jankovic on the other hand must extend the points as long as possible in order to get the bigger hitter off balance.

“I think the clay really suits her game,” Sharapova said. “She's a great retriever, gets a lot of balls back. She's playing much more consistent than maybe she's done in the last couple of years, which is nice to see, because she was at a level that she has maintained for quite a bit of time. She's a tough opponent.”

Jankovic realizes that she’s the underdog in the contest but added that playing high-level matches on show courts is what still keeps her motivated. “It’s my stage in life," she said.

The 28-year-old believes that every day is a new day and every new encounter is a fresh chance to triumph. “Maria won this tournament last year,” she said. “She played very well last year on clay and as well this year. She's a tough opponent. I will go out there and try to play my best tennis and try to perform on a very high level.”

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 6/5/2013(UTC), frida on 6/5/2013(UTC), nazanine on 6/5/2013(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#150 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 2:22:23 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

Doesn't look good right now for viewing Dementieva's Legends match.  As of 9:00 am CEST, additional streams have been posted only for the guys on Court 1. Stream of Court 3 where play begins in a couple hours, is improbable.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
frida
#149 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 2:24:04 AM(UTC)
frida

Was thanked: 1668 time(s) in 673 post(s)

Sara can make a big surprise , as she did last year .It's not over yet ! Time will show ...

1 user thanked frida for this useful post.
nazanine on 6/5/2013(UTC)
midaso
#151 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 3:01:07 AM(UTC)
midaso

paul_pipkin;324145 wrote:

Doesn't look good right now for viewing Dementieva's Legends match.  As of 9:00 am CEST, additional streams have been posted only for the guys on Court 1. Stream of Court 3 where play begins in a couple hours, is improbable.

Oh well,if there's no stream of it,I'm sure a video of it will turn up somewhere in some shape or form

keithht
#152 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 7:32:17 AM(UTC)

Groups: BasicUsers

I was just going to watch the tennis on sky when I realised that I was going to have to listen to that screech every time she hit the ball so  I decided to watch some cricket instead. Personally I consider the screech gamemanship at the least and blatant cheating at worst. I consider her a cheat.

raf72
#153 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 10:01:23 AM(UTC)
raf72

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 70 post(s)
...what a great suffering today!!! J. Jankovic has played very very well, but Maria has been very determinated until the end of the match!! She was very happy for your victory...the semis will be very difficult against Vika, but Maria is Maria!!!! ;)
3 users thanked raf72 for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 6/5/2013(UTC), frida on 6/5/2013(UTC), nazanine on 6/5/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#154 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 10:11:11 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

French Open 2013

Sharapova Rallies Past Jankovic

PARIS -- Maria Sharapova shrugged off losing the first six games and swept the last four to reach the French Open semifinals.

The defending champion overcame a miserable start in the quarterfinals Wednesday to beat Jelena Jankovic, 0-6, 6-4, 6-3.

It was the first victory of Sharapova's career after losing an opening set 6-0. Her opponent Friday will be two-time Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka, who reached her first Roland Garros semifinal by beating Maria Kirilenko 7-6 (3), 6-2.

The No. 2-seeded Sharapova earned her first French Open title a year ago to complete a career Grand Slam. She has won 12 matches in a row at Roland Garros, where her 42-9 record is the best among active women.

"Obviously it only gets tougher from here," Sharapova said, "but I'm really happy I'm at this stage again."

The warmest weather of the tournament greeted the quarterfinalists, and Jankovic quickly had Sharapova sweating. In the first set the Russian repeatedly missed the lines by narrow margins or clipped the net cord, and the match was 35 minutes old before she won a game -- and only then because Jankovic double-faulted on break point.

Jankovic won 27 points in the first set, 20 on unforced errors by her opponent.

"I still felt like I was in the match," Sharapova said. "And I was."

She then began to find her range while hitting even harder than before. After she finally erased the deficit, Sharapova earned the first break of the final set to take her first lead at 4-3.

Toward the end the rallies became longer, and Sharapova won the majority, often by hitting shots at improbable angles. She struck one winner so violently her necklace flew into her face.

When Jankovic's final shot sailed wide, Sharapova responded with a slack-jawed smile, as though she couldn't quite believe her comeback. She had dropped a first set 6-0 five other times in her career -- and went on to lose each match.

Most of her results this year have been less stressful. She's 35-4, with all but four of those matches decided in straight sets.

Azarenka became the first woman representing Belarus to reach the semifinals. She won five straight points to lead 6-1 in the tiebreaker before hitting a backhand crosscourt winner to take the first set.

Kirilenko, who has never advanced past the quarterfinals in any Grand Slam tournament, double-faulted to trail 3-1 in the second set.

Azarenka sealed her spot in the last four when Kirilenko sent a forehand long.

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER
#155 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 10:13:27 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Permalink voor ingesloten afbeelding

MISSION FIVE : DONE

Congratz Masha; great match and great win...DAVAIIIIIIIIIIIII...

CROUCHING TIGER
#156 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 10:58:45 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Let's be sport; the two semi-finalists who'll meet again...also MISSION SIX :)

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
frida on 6/5/2013(UTC), nazanine on 6/5/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#157 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 11:51:20 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Maria Sharapova rarely gets stung in Grand Slam matches, especially when she’s fit, so after Jelena Jankovic hung a 6-0 bagel on her in the first set of the their quarterfinal clash, there was a possibility that she was so off her form that she would go away quietly in two sets.

But that’s just not in the defending champion's nature.

In yet another remarkable performance from the world No. 2, Sharapova dug deep, rediscovered her Grand Slam-winning form and came away with a 0-6, 6-4, 6-3 victory and clawed her way into the semi-finals where she will meet Victoria Azarenka.

Former world No. 1 Jankovic played a beautiful and consistent first set. She was smart, hitting the ball deep and keeping her one-time rival from the juniors off balance. It was also clear that Sharapova was way off her game as she committed 20 unforced errors in the set.

When the Russian stood up from her chair to begin the second, she had already put the first set behind her and off she took, battering the Serb with big forehands, taking big cuts at Jankovic’s second service and, despite being a good deal slower than her foe, hustling after every ball to coax the latter into errors.

Jankovic managed to come back from a 1-5 deficit in the set to 4-5, but Sharapova served big and held on to the win the set.

2008 semifinalist Jankovic, who has been playing very well during the past three months, refused to go away however and got off to a 3-2 lead on service. Unfortunately for her, Sharapova has been nearly unbeatable in three-set matches over the past two years and she showed why, as she focused hard, went for her shots and delivered one key blow after another near the lines.

The 26-year-old did commit another 25 errors in the last two sets, but she also managed 30 winners overall and converted all four of her break point opportunities, shrieking in delight as she converted match point.

“Overall it was a big fight,” Jankovic said. “It was great tennis out there. We battled. There were a few points here and there that made a difference, and in the third set she came up with some winners. That backhand that (she played), it's between a drop shot and an angle, I don't know how she does that, but it was an amazing shot. Even if it was luck or not, credit to her. At the end she was the better player. I was a bit unlucky, but I fought hard until the end. I was a bit tired – I’ve played a lot, but overall I’ve had an amazing tournament.”

Sharapova said she was unable to recall any match where she lost a first set to love, before winning.

"But if it was 6-1 or 6-2 or 6-3 I would have treated it the same way. I just didn't do enough things right to win that set. It was certainly nice to change that around because I wasn't doing much in that first set. Sometimes you just have to get the job done and I did in this match."

2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
frida on 6/5/2013(UTC), nazanine on 6/5/2013(UTC)
frida
#158 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 12:11:01 PM(UTC)
frida

She was perfect, she was better than perfect! I think it was Maria's greatest comeback ever, after 6-0 , she performed even better than her best tennis! Today she showed to everybody " REAL MARIA SHARAPOVA" ! I congratulate her because of her great fight.Certainly this victory will give Maria more confidence :)
Next up is Azarenka, it will not be an easy match for both of players, but after this match,I believe Maria can do it again ;) Keep going girl ;)
1 user thanked frida for this useful post.
paul_pipkin
#159 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 12:51:14 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

Hey, check out who are in the mixed doubles Final:

Court Philippe Chatrier 12:00 PM Start Time
1. Mixed Doubles - Final
Kristina Mladenovic (FRA)[5] v. Lucie Hradecka (CZE)
Daniel Nestor (CAN)[5] Frantisek Cermak (CZE)

Not Before: 3:00 PM

2. Women's Singles - Semifinals
Victoria Azarenka (BLR)[3] v. Maria Sharapova (RUS)[2]
3. Women's Singles - Semifinals
Serena Williams (USA)[1] v. Sara Errani (ITA)[5]

Czechs vs the Serbian Diaspora! lol

SHOULD get stream of some sort from the mixed.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
matchpoint
#161 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 2:53:05 PM(UTC)
matchpoint

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I see what Maria is doing in the above photo by crouching tiger. Look at her. She is in the air, scissoring her legs to provide a power base, sparing her arm, and using hips. This is all well if she can maintain the foot speed in order to get in this position. As a coach, I'd be proud of her for this technique. You don't find yourself in the air by accident. You have to anticipate this, and it's extra preparation, and work. requires all muscle groups. And then, there is lift off.
frida
#160 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 2:53:10 PM(UTC)
frida

Sharapova's 6-0 Rebound In Paris

Maria Sharapova came back from a 6-0 first set for the first time in her career on Wednesday, willing her way past a rock solid Jelena Jankovic and into the semifinals of the French Open.

There isn't much she hasn't accomplished already, but Maria Sharapova pulled off another first at Roland Garros on Wednesday, fighting back from a 6-0 first set for the first time in her career and defeating an inspired Jelena Jankovic to move through to the semifinals, 06 64 63.

Things looked very shaky for Sharapova in the first set, with five winners being far outweighed by 20 unforced errors, and a rock solid Jankovic - who had just four unforced errors - rolling through it at love in just 29 minutes. Sharapova had never come back from a love first set in her whole WTA career - in fact, all five times it had happened before, she had never even pushed the match to a third set.

But she's where she is in history for a reason, and right from the start of the second set the No.2-seeded Sharapova buckled down, putting together even numbers the rest of the way - 25 winners, 25 unforced - and willing her way past the No.18-seeded Jankovic after an hour and 58 minutes.

"I started the match off with a large number of unforced errors and her playing really well, smart, doing the right things, being consistent," Sharapova said afterwards. "It was really the opposite for me.

"So I was really happy I was able to win the first two games of the second set. That was really important. You know, at least give her something to think about - she was a bit in cruise control for a long period of time. That was really important, and I'm really happy that I pulled through."

With all kinds of pressure and expectations, how does one regroup so well after such a blowout?

"I wanted to put that chapter behind me," Sharapova said. "No matter how many errors I made or how disappointed I was with the way I started the match, I knew I could still create chances out there; obviously taking them is another question. But I knew I was capable of doing much better. It was just a game at a time. And obviously the third set was still extremely tough. But I was happy with it."

Sharapova was told in her post-match presser it was the first time she had rebounded from 6-0.

"To be honest, if it was 1-6 or 2-6 or 3-6, I would have treated it the same way. Obviously I didn't do enough things right to win that first set. But it was certainly nice to change that around."

Jankovic may have lost in the end, but she definitely reannounced herself this fortnight - she had an impossible second set comeback from 5-0 down against Daniela Hantuchova in the first round, took out Samantha Stosur in the third round, and ultimately pushed the World No.2 to the brink of defeat.

"A few points here and there made the difference," Jankovic said. "I got broken in that third set, unfortunately, and made a couple of bad decisions. It could have gone my way, but it didn't, and this is tennis, and this is sport. I cannot complain. I did pretty well. I put myself in a position to win and beat Maria. I'm pleased with the way I've been playing and how I've been improving recently.

"I really wanted to come back and and be a top player, and beat the top players too. So I went out and trained hard and I've been playing very well again. I've been beating good players - Na Li, Stosur - I don't know who else. But it really gives me the confidence and belief that I can do it again.

"I believe in myself. My time will come."

"I believe in myself. My time will come."

Awaiting Sharapova in the semifinals is No.3 seed Victoria Azarenka, who beat No.12 seed Maria Kirilenko in her quarterfinal. Azarenka leads Sharapova in their head to head, 7-5.

"We haven't played on clay in almost a year, I believe - last time was in Stuttgart," Sharapova said. "She's playing really well this tournament. Always a tough match. We have played each other so many times, there are really no secrets between each other in terms of our game styles, and what we do well and what we don't do well. It's the semifinals and, you know, I'm really looking forward to it."

2 users thanked frida for this useful post.
nazanine on 6/5/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 6/5/2013(UTC)
Brebis
#162 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 4:06:53 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)

An other anemie is awaiting Maria. No bad play is allowed anymore. She needs to be sharp as a knife from the first ball. I hope that Maria's experience will help her and that she might go to an other final against Errani. Let's start my prayer.

1 user thanked Brebis for this useful post.
frida on 6/6/2013(UTC)
midaso
#163 Posted : Wednesday, June 05, 2013 5:56:46 PM(UTC)
midaso

I think that match against Jankovic is the type of match that can give her a big boost. It is important she gets off to a better start against Vika,and doesn't fold mentally. It will be a tough ask,but I think she can do it
2 users thanked midaso for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 6/5/2013(UTC), frida on 6/6/2013(UTC)