logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<56789>»
Roland Garros 2013
CROUCHING TIGER
#122 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 1:04:05 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)
Permalink voor ingesloten afbeelding

MISSION FOUR : DONE...congratulations to both though, Sloane is one for the future !

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
2 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
raf72 on 6/3/2013(UTC), frida on 6/4/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#123 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 1:08:55 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

nice:)

raf72 on 6/3/2013(UTC), frida on 6/4/2013(UTC)
raf72
#124 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 1:10:43 PM(UTC)
raf72

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 70 post(s)
Maria moves on the quarters!!! GO MASHA!!!!!
2 users thanked raf72 for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 6/3/2013(UTC), frida on 6/4/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#125 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 1:44:02 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

PARIS (AP) - Defending champion Maria Sharapova returned to the French Open quarterfinals by beating 17th-seeded Sloane Stephens of the United States 6-4, 6-3 on Monday.

The second-seeded Sharapova handled Stephens' strong serve well, accumulating 12 break points and converting four.

In 2012, Sharapova completed a career Grand Slam at Roland Garros, adding that trophy to ones from Wimbledon in 2004, the U.S. Open in 2006 and the Australian Open in 2008.

Sharapova has won all eight sets she's played so far this year and will face No. 18 Jelena Jankovic or 54th-ranked Jamie Hampton in the quarterfinals.

The 20-year-old Stephens, who upset Serena Williams en route to reaching the semifinals of the Australian Open in January, fell to 1-8 against women ranked in the top five.

Stephens lost in the French Open's fourth round for the second year in a row. Last time, at 19, she was the first U.S. teenager to make it that far in Paris since Williams did it in 2001.

During an on-court interview after Monday's match, Sharapova, who's 26, was asked about facing a member of her sport's "younger generation."

"I still like to consider myself young," Sharapova said with a smile. "Maybe not the `young generation,' but somewhere in the middle."

With wind whipping around Court Philippe Chatrier - some spectators huddled under blankets - Sharapova managed to handle the conditions well.

At 3-all, she held three break points, and she took that game when a good return off a 103 mph serve forced Stephens into an error. That little lead was enough to take the opening set, which Sharapova served out at love.

Stephens earned three break points the entire match and took advantage of only one. They all came in the second set's second game, when a cross-court forehand winner by Stephens made it 1-all.

But Sharapova broke again to go ahead 3-2 when Stephens put a backhand into the net. From there, Stephens' body language was filled with slumping shoulders and a hanging head.

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
frida on 6/4/2013(UTC)
Brebis
#126 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 2:38:02 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)

Saw the last set of the match ! Still think Maria is not playing on a high level. Slow at times and not concistant. All points seems to be a battle. Let's see if Maria will play better when the conditions are changing.

Ps;  Funny to see that obviously Serena is not that good. Is not playing on Centre Court tomorrow.

Brebis
#120 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 2:41:27 PM(UTC)

frida;324082 wrote:

Aga's First French Open Quarterfinal

Agnieszka Radwanska hit 18 winners to just five unforced errors to beat Ana Ivanovic and reach her first French Open quarterfinal. What's the only Grand Slam quarterfinal she's missing now?

Aga's First French Open Quarterfinal

Agnieszka Radwanska maintained her mastery over Ana Ivanovic Sunday, beating the Serb in straight sets to reach the French Open quarterfinals - her first French Open quarterfinal.

The No.4-seeded Radwanska was never really in trouble in the match, hitting 18 winners to just five unforced errors en route to a one-hour, 21-minute, 62 64 victory over the No.14-seeded Ivanovic.

"I don't know the statistics, but that's for sure one of my best matches of the year for sure, and especially on clay," Radwanska said. "I'm just very happy about it. Everything was working for me.

"I'm very, very happy to reach my first quarterfinal here. It's been great, especially on a surface I didn't really have good results on before, especially this year. So I'm just very excited about this."

Radwanska has now reached the quarterfinals of three of the four Grand Slams - the Australian Open four times, the French Open once and Wimbledon  three times. All that's missing is the US Open.

"Almost, almost," she said in her presser.

Radwanska's clay court lead-up was the thinnest of any of the top players - she played two events and won one round total. But clearly that hasn't hampered her at the big one this fortnight in Paris.

"Losing early in the tournaments before didn't help, but I'm happy I'm doing better here," Radwanska said. "I'm trying my best, and I'm even playing much better in this match than my first match. Ana played really well today - if I played like in the rounds before, I think I wouldn't make it today."

Ivanovic, who has now lost her last seven meetings with Radwanska, also thought it was high quality.

"I actually think the match was closer than maybe the score indicates," Ivanovic said. "I think maybe it was my serve. If you lose your serve, you know against her you have to win points over and over again, and there's a point where it gets frustrating and you really have to just stick through with it.

"At some points I didn't stick through with it, and that made a big difference today."

Next up for Radwanska is No.5 seed Sara Errani, who beat No.20 seed Carla Suarez Navarro earlier in the day Radwanska leads Errani 6-1 in their head to head, though they haven't played this year yet.

"Sara is a very good clay court player, so for sure it's going to be very tough, especially since she's defending the final here," Radwanska said. "The last match we played - it was Istanbul - we played three and a half hours. I was just better by a few points. It's not like I'm winning easy or anything.

"What I remember most about that match is I couldn't walk the next day."

So her strategy? "I have to prepare for a lot of rallies, a lot of running, and for a close match. And this is a quarterfinal, so it doesn't matter who's on the other side, it's going to be someone good."

At first , I didn't recognised her with the blond hear. She looks like her sister now. Dark was better.

midaso
#127 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 5:51:16 PM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)

Uh oh,Vika's starting to play well. This could be danger for Maria in semis. After all the talk of losing to Serena,losing to Vika 6-7,7-6,7-6 is still MUCH worse than losing to Serena 6-0,6-0

Dartagnan
#128 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 8:10:32 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

midaso;324098 wrote:

Uh oh,Vika's starting to play well. This could be danger for Maria in semis. After all the talk of losing to Serena,losing to Vika 6-7,7-6,7-6 is still MUCH worse than losing to Serena 6-0,6-0

When Masha really wants to beat Vika, she defeats her. Vika is not an obstacle for Masha even if Vika is a good tennis player. 

BUT Vika should be carefull with Masha. 

Masha hasn't told her last word...

Svetlana will fight Serena first..

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
frida on 6/4/2013(UTC)
midaso
#129 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2013 10:31:58 PM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)

Dartagnan;324103 wrote:

midaso;324098 wrote:

When Masha really wants to beat Vika, she defeats her. Vika is not an obstacle for Masha even if Vika is a good tennis player. 

BUT Vika should be carefull with Masha. 

Masha hasn't told her last word...

Svetlana will fight Serena first..

It's the real black mark of her career,losing all those HC matches in straight sets to Vika,cos I mean she's not even that talented. Maria playing her best should win easily.

Yes,we are all BEGGING Svetlana to pull another big match out of the bag,just one last time. We know how good she can be on clay if she plays her best.

1 user thanked midaso for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 6/4/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#130 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:45:53 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

French Open 2013: Has Maria Sharapova Become the Forgotten Woman?

http://bleacherreport.co...come-the-forgotten-woman

matchpoint
#131 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:19:59 AM(UTC)
matchpoint

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Oh my goodness,

CROUCHING TIGER
#132 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:45:36 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

ListenShare There might not usually be much buzz about a match where the world No.1 is facing a player ranked No.39, or where the world No.1 has – as you might expect – dominated the career meetings 6-2. But there is always an exception to the rule. The pick of the women’s quarter-finals at Roland Garros 2013 is plainly Serena Williams’ encounter with Svetlana Kuznetsova, because when they previously met at this same stage of the French Open in 2009, the Russian emerged victorious and went on to lift the Coupe Suzanne-Lenglen.

“Memories don’t matter,” said Kuznetsova, when asked the inevitable questions about her recollections of that day in the last eight. “I always love to play Paris. Always brings the best out of me and feels special.”

It will need to bring out the best in her this time. Williams has allowed her opponents a miserly ten games so far this fortnight, and she is on a 28-match winning streak. She put 32 winners past her fourth-round opponent Roberta Vinci, and she has it in mind that the last American to make the semi-finals here was Jennifer Capriati nine years ago. Kuznetsova, whose 2012 was disrupted by injury, was able to progress through the draw quite stealthily until she disposed of the No.8 seed Angelique Kerber in the last round. So has the Russian been flying under the radar?

“I don't care if I'm under or not under or flying or standing or whatever it is,” replied Kuznetsova. “I just go out there and try to play my game. Sometimes I can be very good. Sometimes I have bad days. I'm just a human being, trying to do my job. I had tough times. I was not playing my game but Grand Slams always bring the best out of me. It just comes naturally. I don't have to push myself but in small tournaments it is a bit difficult. Here it's the French Open. It says everything. I turn myself on quickly.”

Serena herself is wary, it seems. “The last time we played here she won, so that will probably get her pumped up and she's on a comeback,” mused Williams. “She has nothing to lose but everything to gain. She also wants to do well, and she's won this tournament before. So it's not going to be easy for me. I have had some pretty tough matches on clay this year, and for sure this will be another."

The theory is that Kuznetsova must pounce on Serena’s weaker second service if she is to get anywhere.

“It is kind of not a fast serve, but it's (like) a lefty serve,” said Kuznetsova of the right-hander, explaining: “It's not as easy as it looks. Sometimes she can go wide to the forehand, especially on the deuce side. She risks it sometimes. You just try to take the most advantage you can and not like 100% to go for risk. She's just a fighter. It's unbelievable to compete against her. I have my good days as well. Let's cross fingers I will have a good day.”

But that winning streak is daunting, although Serena herself claims to give it no thought. Her mind is only on a repeat of her one career championship at Roland Garros, in 2002.

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
frida on 6/4/2013(UTC)
frida
#133 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 4:07:25 AM(UTC)
frida

Was thanked: 1668 time(s) in 673 post(s)

Sharapova Hits Through Wind & Stephens

Sloane Stephens was building her momentum, but Maria Sharapova was just too sharp on the day, beating the American in straight sets to move through to the French Open quarterfinals.

Sharapova Hits Through Wind & Stephens

Sloane Stephens was building her momentum - following some quiet times after Australia, she had won seven of her last nine matches going into this one - but Maria Sharapova was just too sharp, beating the American in straight sets to move through to the French Open quarterfinals.

With the wind swirling on Court Philippe Chatrier, it wasn't easy for Sharapova and Stephens to produce their best tennis - they both had negative winners-to-errors differentials. But Sharapova tamed her game just a little bit better on the day with a -3 differential (17 to 20) while Stephens' game went awry with a -10 differential (15 to 25), and at the end of the day it was the No.2-seeded Sharapova who came out on top, defeating the No.17-seeded Stephens in an hour and 28 minutes, 6-4 6-3.

It was far closer than their encounter in Rome a few weeks ago, which Sharapova won, 6-2 6-1.

"She played much better than she did in Rome," Sharapova said. "She obviously knew she had to. This is a different stage and I'm sure she was geared up. Especially when you lose a couple of weeks ago, you want a bit of revenge, and I'm sure she had that type of feeling going into that match-up today.

"And also, it's Roland Garros and the conditions are always going to be tricky, which also played a part in it. Patience was really important - we had a few freaky points, a few shanks, you know.

"That was all a challenge, and I was really happy with the way I came through against her today."

Sharapova was very complimentary towards Stephens when asked about her in her presser.

"I think Sloane has a tremendous amount of potential," Sharapova said. "And she has a lot of things in her game in which there is a lot of room for even more improvement - there are some players you play against and you're not quite sure if they will be able to develop something to a different level, but I think she will. She has a big game already - big strokes, pretty good serve. She has a lot of time to develop.

"If she's in the right hands at the right time, I'm sure she's going to have a great career."

Stephens was in her third Grand Slam second week, making the fourth round here last year (falling to Sam Stosur) and the semifinals of the Australian Open this year (falling to Victoria Azarenka).

"There's always room for improvement," Stephens said. "Maria's obviously a really great competitor if she's No.2 in the world, so it's tough. You've just got to keep improving. I wouldn't say there's a drastic difference - you just have to keep getting better. Some things I can improve on, so I'll do that.

"Overall I've done pretty well, though. Not to have played that well coming into the clay court season and to get a good amount of matches in and get some confidence, I think it's a good thing."

Stephens was then asked one word to sum up her experience at Roland Garros this year. "Dazzling," she replied. "Because every year, every Slam is always pretty special - there's always something crazy going on. I think this year it was just refreshing to get back on the court and compete and just have fun and enjoy myself. It's obviously been a stressful couple  of months, so just to get out and not have to worry about anything and just play, it was fine. I enjoyed myself here at Roland Garros this year."

Next up for Sharapova is No.18 seed Jelena Jankovic, who beat Jamie Hampton later in the day, 6-0 6-2. Sharapova leads Jankovic in their head to head 7-1, but they have never played on clay.

"We know each other quite well," Sharapova said. "We played against each other quite a bit in the juniors all the time. We spent a lot of time together. We were in the same group. We were playing matches and tournaments against each other. And I think the clay really suits her game. I think she's a great retriever and gets a lot of balls back. She's playing much more consistent I believe than she's done in the last couple of years, which is nice to see, because she was at that level and maintained that level for quite a bit of time. But yeah, she's a really tough opponent. I look forward to it."

2 users thanked frida for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 6/4/2013(UTC), paul_pipkin on 6/4/2013(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#134 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 9:44:00 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

Roland Garros Roland Garros 2013 - The French Open 

Wednesday (05 June) CEST Quarterfinals (waiting for Legends posting--Legends SHOULD appear on the same Court 1 Streams as today: http://lsh.streamhunter....ups/154129977346320.html )

14:00 Jelena Janković (SRB)[18] v. Maria Sharapova (RUS)[2] (Court Philippe Chatrier)  ДАВАЙ Маша!!!
14:00 Maria Kirilenko (RUS)[12] v. Victoria Azarenka (BLR)[3](Court Suzanne Lenglen)  ДАВАЙ Кири!!!

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
3 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 6/4/2013(UTC), frida on 6/4/2013(UTC), raf72 on 6/4/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#135 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 10:30:40 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

BETTER WATCH OUT WILLIAMS...

paul_pipkin on 6/4/2013(UTC), frida on 6/4/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#136 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 10:32:57 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

MASHA can't run fast enough to win that FINAL...DAVAI !!!!

3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 6/4/2013(UTC), frida on 6/4/2013(UTC), raf72 on 6/4/2013(UTC)
Philli Wan
#137 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:08:54 PM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 134 post(s)

It's about time Maria's stomach problems came back again...it's getting very close to the 'that' time again.

1 user thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 6/4/2013(UTC)
frida
#138 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:54:01 PM(UTC)
frida

Was thanked: 1668 time(s) in 673 post(s)

Tennis: French Open-Radwanska vs Errani

Errani is into semi final after defeating Radwanska , her next opponent is S.Williams .

Brebis
#142 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:51:37 PM(UTC)

This was the only opportunity  for Serena to loose this tournament, unfortunately Kutzi lost ! No, if I may be honest, looking at how Serena plays and how arrogant she is, there is no other alternitive for that girl other than to win in Paris !!  

paul_pipkin
#143 Posted : Tuesday, June 04, 2013 2:18:56 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

Brebis;324130 wrote:

This was the only opportunity  for Serena to loose this tournament, unfortunately Kutzi lost ! No, if I me be so honest, looking at how Serena plays and how arrogant she is, there is no other alternitive for that girl other than to win in Paris !!  

And if she can't, she may destroy herself on court, & we can watch?

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17