logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Your English is Way Too Good; Annoys Me - You Were Really Born in the U.S.
Volosolo
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 10:55:10 PM(UTC)

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Maria, would like to compliment you on your incredible grasp of the English language (has anyone mentioned it?).  Everytime I hear you speak I simply cannot believe you only started to learn English at, what, 7 years of age?  I've been formally taught 4 languages and lived in Europe and the Middle East for more than 13 years yet cannot even now mumble 10 words in any of them, so you can understand my awe of your language skills.  I like to watch you compete (with the sound off); you appear to be a very bright and very classy woman and I wish you continued fantastic success.  

Dartagnan
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:27:22 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Volosolo Go to Quoted Post

Maria, would like to compliment you on your incredible grasp of the English language (has anyone mentioned it?).  Everytime I hear you speak I simply cannot believe you only started to learn English at, what, 7 years of age?  I've been formally taught 4 languages and lived in Europe and the Middle East for more than 13 years yet cannot even now mumble 10 words in any of them, so you can understand my awe of your language skills.  I like to watch you compete (with the sound off); you appear to be a very bright and very classy woman and I wish you continued fantastic success.  

The earlier you start speaking a language the better you speak it. The persons who speak very well a language are those who start speaking it during their childwood. 

The fact that Maria Sharapova still speaks russian very well, it is due to the fact that she starts speaking this language very early. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

KarmaKrooK
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:49:55 PM(UTC)
KarmaKrooK

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 30 post(s)
What really helps when learning a language is to genuinely like it and immersing yourself in it.
Dartagnan
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:09:12 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Originally Posted by: KarmaKrooK Go to Quoted Post
What really helps when learning a language is to genuinely like it and immersing yourself in it.

When you live in a country where everybody speaks english, it is normal that you speak english very well particularly if you start speaking it at a young age. 

The fact that Maria Sharapova has often to speak publicly when she wins a tournament also helped her to speak english better. 

Anyway Maria Sharapova is not an english teacher but a perfect russian tennis player. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Volosolo
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:23:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Dartagnan Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Volosolo Go to Quoted Post

The earlier you start speaking a language the better you speak it. The persons who speak very well a language are those who start speaking it during their childwood. 

The fact that Maria Sharapova still speaks russian very well, it is due to the fact that she starts speaking this language very early. 

What you say is sometimes true, Dartagnan.  In my case learning to speak a foreign language (two foreign languages) at an early age did not help.  But thanks for your comments.  I have read that some Russian tennis players have criticized Sharapova for speaking better English than Russian.  They were upset with Maria; doubtless there was some envy there because of her tennia and business success.  In my view you've have to be very intelligent to speak a language as fluently as does Maria.  By the way, Sharapova frequently says she is fiercely Russian; has she given any indication that she intends to leave the U.S. and return to Russia (I'm just curious)?  Tennis players live all over the planet so it's no surprise she maintains several residences.

1 user thanked Volosolo for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 4/30/2013(UTC)