logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<456
Indian Wells
appaloosa
#100 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 12:11:57 PM(UTC)
appaloosa

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 108 post(s)

Philli Wan;322383 wrote:
Thanks Phili Wan.  Of course you make valid observations, of which I am well aware.  But did you have to bring us all down so quickly?  Now, before I wanted to, I'll have to retreat into my nervous, fretting, popcorn-eating self (distraction) when I follow her this week and especially next week at Biscayne (Miami).

Yes, yes, it all seemed so easy and 'matter of fact' and a foregone conclusion.  You are all so happy to ignore the fact that her 3 main rivals were missing and any one of them could have pissed in her weenies and spoilt her day.   No vika, no Serena and no Na Li.  It's so easy to believe Maria is the greatest when those 3 are out of the picture.  And, it's also so amazing that she falls to pieces when confronted by them.  This and next week we'll see Thomas rushing on to the court to re-screw her head on and re-program her brain if she gets into any difficulties.  What would she do without him?.

Brebis
#101 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 2:24:02 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)

Philli Wan;322383 wrote:

Yes, yes, it all seemed so easy and 'matter of fact' and a foregone conclusion.  You are all so happy to ignore the fact that her 3 main rivals were missing and any one of them could have pissed in her weenies and spoilt her day.   No vika, no Serena and no Na Li.  It's so easy to believe Maria is the greatest when those 3 are out of the picture.  And, it's also so amazing that she falls to pieces when confronted by them.  This and next week we'll see Thomas rushing on to the court to re-screw her head on and re-program her brain if she gets into any difficulties.  What would she do without him?.

BLA BLA BLA, as usual nothing special to mention.   

paul_pipkin
#105 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 11:14:41 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)

I haven't debated Philli in a long time, so here's my take:

1) Dunno why one would throw in Li Na. True that Masha has dropped the ball a few times with China-girl, but the head2head is 8-5 Maria's favor. Li is competitive, that's all.

2) Serena would have retired or wound down like her sister by at least a year ago--if someone didn't pump her up with dope to keep her on court as a symbol of the dying Amerikan hegemony. They wanna push her all the way to Rio--and may kill her in the process. Keep watching, you'll see her crash on the court. Takes nothing away from her actual accomplishment to say she is now a mere curiosity. How can one find an authentic rivalry with that?

3) The one to beat is Vika. You know my alternate-world scenario where Chernobyl did not melt down & Sharapova & Azarenka are the girl tennis stars of Belarus? (And like each other no better than Ana & Jelena in Serbia.) There is a point to the fiction: they DO sprout from the same pod. This is, in its own way, a sibling rivalry--and most difficult to resolve.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
3 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
frida on 3/19/2013(UTC), nazanine on 3/19/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 3/19/2013(UTC)
robb
#106 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:54:36 AM(UTC)
robb

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Williams has the game AND the physique of a man, and THAT is why she overpowers all the others. I don't see that changing until she retires. Nothing do to with 'drugs', its her genes that give her the advantage. Azarenka will always be a threat, her game is a more refined version of maria's. PLEASED that maria has won this trophy of course!! But I didn't see anything different in her game...maria can beat anyone regularly on her day, apart from the 'big two'.
1 user thanked robb for this useful post.
frida on 3/19/2013(UTC)