logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

14 Pages«<11121314>
AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2013
Brebis
#242 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:09:23 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Philli Wan Go to Quoted Post

You missed the point, Paul.  The Fashion week begins on Feb 7th and runs all through the period of the Doha tournamant. 

I don't know what you are looking for , a clap on the shoulder ??  Last year she had no virus in Paris. She lost her tennis match , remember ?? The virus was 2 years ago. Getting old ?? 

Philli Wan
#243 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:45:10 PM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 134 post(s)

Yes  Brebis, I fear I am getting sicker and older and it wont be too long before I wont be able to find my way to this forum any more. 

Yes, she did Bomb out in Paris then made the excuse that she had picked up a virus and cancelled Doha.  Then, flew back to the States, but instead of going home to California, she spent a week and a half in Cold Wet Windy New York visiting Vera Wang, Oscar de la Renta and Rodarte fashion shows while the rest of the girls were performing their jobs as professional tennis players in Doha. 

1 user thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 1/31/2013(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#244 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:15:38 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1866 time(s) in 1236 post(s)

Yes  Brebis, I fear I am getting sicker and older and it wont be too long before I wont be able to find my way to this forum any more

Yes, she did Bomb out in Paris then made the excuse that she had picked up a virus and cancelled Doha.  Then, flew back to the States, but instead of going home to California, she spent a week and a half in Cold Wet Windy New York visiting Vera Wang, Oscar de la Renta and Rodarte fashion shows while the rest of the girls were performing their jobs as professional tennis players in Doha. 

Philli, FYI: I have not logged in for months, not since the last time they worked on it. 1) I never log out. 2) I leave the Shoutbox OPEN. Even if I close the browser app (Google Chrome), even if I go off line & shut down -- when I come back direct to http://www.mariasharapova.com/forum/ , I find I am still logged in.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Valkyre
#245 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:19:35 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

i dont get what is the whole bickering about what Maria chooses to do with her schedule really...

To think that she is not commited to tennis, is according to her overall performance and results, sorry to say so, but it is ... STUPID.

Maria has a wonderful last year... she reached -i dont even remember how many- finals, she took a Slam, she went to the no1 spot after so many years, she took quite a handful of trophies, she took a silver medal, she went to the finals of the Championships.

And now we bitch about the viruses and the Gala's Maria is attending and her candy business and the fashion stuff etc etc.

Why? I know a lot of people want to see Maria have nothing else in life except tennis. I can appreciate and respect that. But she is not the highest paid female athlete by chance... she is working for it in various ways. Some of them involve stuff outside of tennis.

But she never showed more commitment to this sport, than she has the last couple of years. Her performance, results and overall working she has put to, confirms just that.

If you ask me Maria was never so much focused and in love with tennis as she is now.

And besides, it is not just Maria that skips tournaments... every single player out there does that. And yeah they might lie about the true reasons they withdraw. Even the best tennis players in the world do that (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic). Why should Maria be judged on that as if she is skipping those tournaments because she just "doesnt care"...

Folks... please remember....

If something Maria doesnt need to do anymore is.... TENNIS... yep you heard me... Maria doesnt need tennis anymore. She has so many business and income coming through other activities, that tennis is just.... "pennies" for Masha. She doesnt even need the "success" anymore... she already has accomplished most things, she is already considered a great tennis player... She can retire and would still be one of the highest paid and successful atheletes on that list.

And that brings me to the most admirable stuff about Maria:

That even though she doesnt need to sweat, work, put countless hours on practice courts, travel all over the globe and endure this crazy tennis life, even though seh doesnt need all that.... she still does it. She still goes to the practice court every day, she still tries to get better, sheis still in love with the game, she still NEEDS the game.

Not because of the money, not because of the fame (she has that anyway now), but because she just god damn LOVE TENNIS. And that is really cool for a person who has accomplished pretty much everything she could ask for, both on and off the court already.

Peace out.

1 user thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
Aussie4 on 1/31/2013(UTC)
Philli Wan
#246 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:08:40 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Hi Val, I must disagree with you on one point. Maria does need Tennis simply to remain in the Public Eye. 

Ask yourself.  'Is she a super model'....No.... no experience.   'Is she an accomplished clothes designer?'...no, no experience, no training, No schooling.  'Will her candy line continue to sell when she is not around?'..Doubtful. 

Wether she really enjoys it as much as she says or not, without it, her sponsors would all disappear and with them most of her earnings.  She has often said when she is through with tennis you wont see her around the courts anymore...Hell, she cant wait leave a tournament when she is out,  now.

So long as she keeps playing, like it or not, her life stays in balance.  She will never be Number 1 for any duration...maybe a lucky Slam win but putting in the extra  effort to maintain it...no...not her style.

Brebis
#247 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:36:23 AM(UTC)

Hi Valkyre, It's a never ending story with the messages of Philli. She always wants to have that last word. Let's agree on one thing, we will ignore her messages and know one thing for sure , she can never ever change the fact that Maria has made it in life !! For that I do take my hat off.   

Valkyre
#248 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:36:44 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Hi Philli,

I think we dissagree on that part. I can understand why you are saying that she needs tennis, and with some of your points I do agree, but overall I really think Maria does not need tennis to make money. Not anymore. She is a huge brand name already. Just the fact that her facebook page has 10 million followers is enough to guarrantee a lot of deals for her.

Sure she definetely wont make as much money and some sponsors will indeed leave, but not all of them, not the important ones. Lots of athletes have retired yet, just becuase of their fame and the brand name they have created for themselves, still have sponsorship deals and shows/clothes/etc etc

Maria has created a big name out of herself. Be it her looks, her early success, her recent success, the injury, the comeback, she is already a brand name.

Will she be a successful clothes designer or have a successful candy business? Not really, but it doesnt really matter. She has already made truckloads of money and will continue to do so whether she plays tennis or not. Maria can make millions just by going to certain sponshorship events, do a couple of exhibitions, commercials etc etc. She will always have deals, as long as she is young and has the looks. Now if she ends up successful in candy and clothes, even better for her.

My point is, she really doesnt need it anymore. At least in my opinion. And the fact that she is still trying to improve and she is still hungry for more, is really enough for me Philli.

She is really trying. Her consistency, her performance and her results show that. We never seen maria move as well as she does now. She has a lot of work to do, sure and bad results are always going to come, but I am happy with her AO 2013 performance in general. She played well. Would love to see her have a rematch with Vika, but Li was better and Maria was off. But she is getting better and better.

I think she at least deserves acknowledgement of her efforts the last couple of years. And I hope she stays hungry.

Philli Wan
#249 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 10:25:35 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Brebis, you're right.  I dont know what's happened to me over these last few years.  I can hardly even get along with myself.  Maybe my various illnesses have get the better of me.  Whatever, I will stop submitting any more negative crap and leave the Forum to the Perfect Fans for a Perfect person.  Bye.

Valkyre
#250 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 10:55:10 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

whoa whoa!

wait a sec both of you:

Philli:

I dont think Brebis, or most people here, consider Maria perfect. Far from it, and I think Maria herself admits that. She is not a perfect person, she is not a perfect tennis player she is just human. Brebis and myself and most people have expressed dissappointment over Maria's performance quite a few times and we all think she can do much better.

Brebis:

Philli can be a real pain in the butt and I for one thing know about that, as me and Philli had our share of epic dogfights in the past. But I've come to the conclusion that Philli really CARES about Maria no matter how her posts look like. I mean think about it, Philli is here so many years... if she hated Maria, if she honestly hated her... by God she would not be here for so long, she would get over it, and not care about what Maria does. Philli doesnt like to say it openly, but I really do believe that she cares A LOT about Maria. I think Maria has disappointed Philli with certain things she does outside of tennis and I can relate with her on some of that stuff. But she cares about Maria and she is keeping sort of a balance here. A lot of people only post things like "we love you Maria" and "excellent maria", someone indeed has to post a few negative things. Ok Philli overdoes it sometimes, as we all do.

But she cares about maria. Even if she will deny it for all eternity, she CARES about her. Take her posts with a grain of salt, a sarcastic tone. A lot of times Philli makes valid points. You have to look deeper to notice them, but they are right there.

And by God I know that when maria won RG last year, Philli had a small, tiny smile on her face! :)

Now both of you stop fighting each other and lets make a group hug! :D

PS: Philli waiting for an answer on my previous post! ;)
2 users thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
nazanine on 1/31/2013(UTC), Aussie4 on 1/31/2013(UTC)
Philli Wan
#251 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:20:34 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Yes Val of course she is an Icon, that's never been in question.  7 years ago, on this Forum, I said that I rated people on their performances on the Court...not off it.  

No one can fault Maria for the success that she has had, but, and it is a big but, since 2007 when she got onto the fashion bug and dropped a bunch of weight that she never had to spare, she started dropping out of tournaments in the second round, getting beaten by qualifiers, and simply making excuses like the good old virus, fatigue...which can no longer be used as an excuse, never once mentioning her shoulder was the problem all along.  The reason for that was simple...the Sponsors were lining up to give her money...the last thing she needed was a dicky shoulder.  The rest in 2008 is history. 

And that is what still irks me.  She is a compulsive liar when it comes to getting out of tournament commitments.  Her life off the court is now so crowded that she really has lost sight of that which made her 'great'. 

So what who cares? If only she had an ounce of humility. oh well. I'm done here.

CROUCHING TIGER
#253 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:48:15 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2862 time(s) in 1718 post(s)
Don't do that, Philli Wan,lots of ppl DO LIKE your funny, wicked,witty,sarcastic messages.

Nobody does it better as u do. U see between the lines and u do write between the lines; that

makes it so great to see a message from "Banana-Philli":))...Think about it and cya later...XXX

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
3 users thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 1/31/2013(UTC), frida on 1/31/2013(UTC), nazanine on 2/1/2013(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#254 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:37:51 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Old, sick?  You got some company. Fortunately, by the time we got there, we have this magic devil-box to stay engaged.  

When I take time. I'll tell the young'uns what I learned from my mother, back whe she was a girl & a devotee of Suzanne Lenglen -- going on a CENTURY ago and from out here in what were then the wilds of Texas--far removed from Paris. 

Back then, celebrity was not denominated in money and fans lived altogether off the legend--factual news, even scores only reached them very much later. A few magazine features, read & re-read, + an occasional film clip down at the picture show between features, fed an impact on the status of women in society & sport no less intense than Masha's today.

Women were still fighting for the VOTE, yet lucky girls (and that didn't always mean rich--just happenstance) would go to the new asphalt tennis courts built on some city schoolgrounds and strive to emulate Lenglen. 

The global impacts of Masha are among the least discussed--because we have come again to the inception of social revolution and the press, property of the master class, doesn't necessarily appreciate the consequences. 

Philli tries to make it make sense, contained in a box of self-absorption & commercial hype. But, as Val points out, that doesn't quite work. Yet that debate brings us closer to the crux of the matter. The views of all here have value. 

Masha at age 17 in 2006:

Interviewer: You've been quoted, "There's never enough money. Bring on the money!" Some think you're a money-grubber...?

Sharapova: "But that's how the world works..." (pause, then significantly) "right now."

Aussie4
#255 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:04:40 PM(UTC)
Aussie4

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Don't leave Philli
2 users thanked Aussie4 for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 2/1/2013(UTC), nazanine on 2/1/2013(UTC)
Valkyre
#252 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2013 3:10:58 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Yes Val of course she is an Icon, that's never been in question.  7 years ago, on this Forum, I said that I rated people on their performances on the Court...not off it.  

No one can fault Maria for the success that she has had, but, and it is a big but, since 2007 when she got onto the fashion bug and dropped a bunch of weight that she never had to spare, she started dropping out of tournaments in the second round, getting beaten by qualifiers, and simply making excuses like the good old virus, fatigue...which can no longer be used as an excuse, never once mentioning her shoulder was the problem all along.  The reason for that was simple...the Sponsors were lining up to give her money...the last thing she needed was a dicky shoulder.  The rest in 2008 is history. 

And that is what still irks me.  She is a compulsive liar when it comes to getting out of tournament commitments.  Her life off the court is now so crowded that she really has lost sight of that which made her 'great'. 

So what who cares? If only she had an ounce of humility. oh well. I'm done here.

Unfortunately, going into the fashion bug or the fame bug, is pretty much a given when you are a beautiful woman who has great success...

It is bound to happen and it isnt just Maria that became a "victim" of it. In fact most tennis players are part of this situation. It just so happens that Maria is a tad prettier to the eyes of most people. And quite more successful. I dont think that Maria went over her head, or she became arrogant and forgot where and how she came to be what she is. I think that with all the media craziness she has to endure everyday, that she is doing a fine job keeping her private life private and have the exposure SHE wants.

She likes fame, but again I dont find that bad, or that it makes her forget what she was doing 15 years ago. And I dont think it has affected the way she approached tennis. If she was arrogant and she did not care about tennis, she would have taken the shoulder injury as a way to get away from tennis with ease. She could lie, tell everyone that the doctors said she cannot play high level of tennis again in her life. She would still make millions just by making photoshoots and appear in exhibitions, make a fragrance, candy whatever.

but instead she not only returned, but she really became better than ever. She really did try even though no1 would blame her if she stopped playing after that kind of injury. Remember no tennis player with such injury came back to tennis to win Slam and take no1 position. I like that about her. She didnt take the easy way out, she loves tennis and her decision to come back better than ever was proof of that.

CROUCHING TIGER
#256 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2013 8:36:56 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

This is IMPORTANT for Masha and RUSSIA...SOCHI 2014

http://youtu.be/Mou1BX4Htvw

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 2/1/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#258 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2013 8:43:23 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

SOCHI 2014

http://www.sportbusiness...aces-samsung-partnership

1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 2/1/2013(UTC)
Brebis
#257 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2013 2:56:57 PM(UTC)

[quote=CROUCHING TIGER;321694]This is IMPORTANT for Masha and RUSSIA...SOCHI 2014

http://youtu.be/Mou1BX4Htvw[/quote] Thank you but this is a video from about 2 years ago !!

paul_pipkin
#259 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2013 2:58:58 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: CROUCHING TIGER Go to Quoted Post

Thanx. Let's assume the Samsung deal is pivotal to Sharapov Sochi ventures.

"The agreement with the Korean electronics giant was activated on April 1 and initially covers Sharapova’s native Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States, with a view to expanding to become a global deal next year. (2013) “Maria really hasn’t been marketed that much in Russia,” Sharapova’s agent at IMG Worldwide, Max Eisenbud, told Bloomberg. “It’s important to her because that’s where her roots are. I also felt that was a really untapped market, with the 2014 Sochi Olympics coming up.”"

1) How's that deal been working out in the CIS?

2) Does global "expansion" involve additional partnerships?  

This might call for its own thread.

CROUCHING TIGER on 2/2/2013(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER
#260 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 4:28:40 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

I agree this should have his own thread. SOCHI 2014 is too important to post in here.

I saw a recent vid about Masha & Samsung but couldn't find it anymore, so i posted these.

Just the top of a "gigantic" iceberg we see here. Guess the "neighbours" and CIS-countries

are already in "talks" since years about that global expansion, deals, etc...

Sochi could indeed be the start of those "Sharapov"-ventures & others but also the end of

Masha and tennis (?)...

CROUCHING TIGER
#261 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 4:33:36 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

SOCHI 2014

https://www.sochi2014.co...infrastructure/business/