logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Australia open!!
grahamr72
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:07:20 PM(UTC)

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Good luck Maria and I know you will do us proud...... Good luck love from Graham from the UK xxxx
1 user thanked grahamr72 for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 1/23/2013(UTC)
Dartagnan
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:05:13 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Originally Posted by: grahamr72 Go to Quoted Post
Good luck Maria and I know you will do us proud...... Good luck love from Graham from the UK xxxx

Jan 23, 2013 

Maria Sharapova and Viktoria Azarenka are one step closer to replay last year's final as both ladies confidently outplayed their respective opponents and advanced to the semis of the Australian Open.

In the quarterfinal Sharapova defeated her fellow Russian Ekaterina Makarova in 66 minutes posting a twin score of 6-2 6-2. Maria broke her less-decorated rival five times and hammered 22 winners.

The 4 time major title holder Sharapova progressed into her 16th career Grand Slam semifinal and has a nice chance to reach the decisive match in Melbourne. As a matter of fact second seed Sharapova has dropped only nine games on her way to the semifinal and registered two double bagel wins in the opening games.

In order to reach the final of the 2013 Australian Open Sharapova will have to break the resistance of the 6th seed Li Na of China, who upset Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska on Tuesday, 7-5, 6-3.

Li has the experience of playing in the final stages of the Grand Slam championships, two years ago she sensationally reached the final in Melbourne where she was beaten by Kim Clijsters of Belgium.

An enocunter with the Chinese lady will be a tough challenge for Sharapova and you will know who will take the upper hand in this tie in our future editions of Russian Sports Daily.

As we have already announced the defending champion Viktoria Azarenka of Belarus advanced to the semis as well as she prevailed in a game against Svetlana Kuznetsova. the two time grand Slam winner Kuznetsova raced to a 4-1 lead in the opening set but unfortunately failed to secure this advantage in score losing three games in a row and allowing Azarenka to level the matters. Viktoria clutched at a chance and took a hard fought 7-5 victory in the first set.

The world number one got full control of the game and registered a 6-1 win in the next set.7-5 6-1 Azarenka is in the round of last four where she will be up against ......Serena Williams??? No, her next round opponent will be Sloane Stephens of the USA who created the biggest sensation at the tournament.

Seemigly endless dominance of Serena Williams ended this very Wednesday with a sensational loss to her compatriot, a 19-year-old Sloane Stephens. the 4 time Olympic champion easily won the match opener 6-3 but could do nothing in two remaining sets losing them with score of 7-5 6-4.

'I'm in the semis of a Grand Slam.' I was like, 'Whoa. It wasn't as hard as I thought.' But it's pretty cool," she said. "To be in the semis of a Grand Slam is definitely I say a good accomplishment. A lot of hard work." Sloane commented on her sensational victory.

Serena said she couldn’t play at full strength on Wednesday as she hurt her back in the eighth game of the second set and this injury made her slow down her powerful serve. Without that strong tool Serena has suffered her first defeat since August 17th.

http://english.ruvr.ru/r.../36560725/102161755.html

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
frida on 2/4/2013(UTC)
jesuschrist
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:50:23 PM(UTC)
jesuschrist

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I actually read the whole thing for a change. Good luck Masha. I will be thinking of ya! :) <3
If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar.
leopold2
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:20:15 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It's all over now, what a pity? I have never seen Maria return so badly - this was key to her loss. Simple 2nd serves into the middle were thrown away immediately. N.B. I consider Maria to usually be the best female return player worldwide.