logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Maria Sharapova's health
Dartagnan
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:53:30 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Post match cool down. Stretching to get taller. Just what I need! 

Dartagnan: I think it is a good idea of Maria Sharapova to remember us the real troubles caused by hard courts on players' knees. The best court for tennis players' health is the grass. 

I don't think that is by chance that Sharapova needs her legs to be stretched. Everybody knows that playing a lot of tennis on hard courts, has a negative effect on your knees. 

Playing exclusively on hard courts forces your knees to take quite a beating. You can stretch your quadriceps out regularly during the day (hold for at least 30 sec) as well as before and after you play. It is also beneficial to warm-up gradually before starting high level play.

An important remark about flat feet: Having flat feet can destroy your knees: Many think wonky feet are a joke - but the effects are often crippling. Flat feet — a condition affecting approximately one in five UK adults.

Flat feet or other faults cause you to carry your weight through the wrong part of the foot, the doctor explains, setting off a chain reaction upwards through the body.

‘Where the knee cap connects with the thigh bone or femur, there is a V-shape groove, to help the knee cap glide up and down.

'If your feet roll inwards, the knee cap doesn’t move smoothly through this groove. We call this bad tracking and, over time, it leads to damage of the cartilage and pain.

‘Extra weight puts even more pressure on the knee cap. I often ask patients to consider how much several bags of sugar weigh and imagine the impact of an extra  stone or more on their joints.’

‘Many people with pain in their lower back, hip, knees and ankles are actually suffering due to flat feet. 

'Diagnosis is often missed because people imagine if there is no pain in the foot, the foot is not the root cause.’

The pain triggers a vicious circle, adds the doctor.

‘Because there is pain, people don’t exercise, which means the muscles needed to support the knee — particularly the quadriceps and hamstrings —become weak, leading to more pain.

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.