logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tennis Legends congratulate Sharapova
Dartagnan
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2012 6:19:42 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Graf about marriage and family life

Stefanie Maria Graf or Steffi Graf was a very good tennis player, she is also a person of determination and a clever person. 

Steffi finished her tennis career before her marriage with Agassi. In Sport it is important to finish your career before starting a family life because you need time for your career. 

If you run after two rabbits, you won't catch neither

Steffi Graf always listened the advice of her Dad who was not perfect but he had a life experience. For her Dad her tennis career was important. Steffi Graff should be a reference for people because she knows how to have a wonderfull tennis career and after a family&kids. 

Steffi Graf supports Masha's efforts and she loves her tennis. She wants her to continue to have success in tennis. 

Saturday, 9 June 2012

Steffi Graf has told The Tennis Space that Maria Sharapova’s career grand slam has shown that she is “a complete tennis player with great talent, who is capable of winning on all surfaces”. Graf, who was speaking at a Longines event at Roland Garros, said she understood the difficulties and the challenges that Sharapova has been through after her shoulder injury and operation: “I know what that’s like, and I’m sure it’s been a big challenge for her. This is a great achievement for Maria.”

Graf on Sharapova returning to the top of the sport – she will be No 1 again on Monday morning.

“I’m not surprised at what Sharapova has done, getting back to No 1 again after the problems with her shoulder, but I sure understand the difficulties of coming back from a serious injury. I’m sure that it’s been a big challenge for her coming back from her shoulder operation, but with the talent she has it’s not so much of a surprise. Her style of tennis is so powerful, and she is so talented, so there was always a chance that she would come back to this level.”

Graf on the significance of Sharapova winning all four grand slams:

”To win all four slams, that’s a great achievement. If you win a few slams, that’s an achievement in itself, but if you win all the slams at least once, that shows that you’re a complete player, and your talent, as you’ve shown that you can win on four different surfaces. Especially nowadays, as three of the four grand slams used to be on grass, with the fourth here on clay in Paris, and now the tournaments are played on four different surfaces. So this is quite an achievement for Maria.”

Graf on what’s it like trying to deal with her, Sharapova, and other tennis players to cope with injuries:

“It’s one of the hardest things for a tennis player. Early on in my career, I didn’t struggle with any injuries, and then I had problems with my shoulder and with my back. That was difficult. The knee then made it very difficult. When you know almost every hospital in every city, that’s not good. I have lasting effects now from my playing career and from my injuries. Every retired tennis player will tell you that it becomes harder and harder as the years go on. We just age much quicker than people who didn’t play tennis professionally. That’s definitely one of the most difficult parts of dealing with your body, not just at the end of your career, but after your career.”

Which are the most difficult obstacles?

Tennis is a year-long sport. It’s tough both from a physical and an emotional standpoint. It’s grueling. All the former players I run into tell me that once they’ve retired they’re much calmer and less fragile emotionally. I would liked to have been able to rest more between tournaments when I was playing, I really regret that. Finding the right balance between too much and too little is the hardest thing.

Does your experience change every time you come back to Roland Garros?
Yes, it’s different every time. When I come back alone, that changes a lot. Three years ago I was here with Andre and the kids, it’s not at all the same (smiling). But it’s always great.

You took home the gold in 1988 when tennis was introduced at the Olympics. At that time, people had doubts about tennis belonging at the Olympics and stars playing there. Are you surprised 24 years later to see the huge amount of interest the players have in this competition?

No, not at all. Tennis definitely has its place in the Olympics and I’ve always been a defender of it. I was there in 1984 in Los Angeles when tennis was only a demonstration sport (Editor’s note: she won). I was really excited about 1988, because tennis became an official Olympic sport. For a tennis player, being part of the Olympics and feeling like a member of the team – it’s amazing. It’s a rare thing in a person’s career. Contrary to other sports, we’re lucky in tennis because we have sponsors and financial support all year long. We can play in lots of big tournaments, including the Grand Slams. But that doesn’t take anything away from the Olympics.

Posing for the cameras

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

2 users thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
frida on 6/14/2012(UTC), deadchip on 6/15/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#2 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 12:49:29 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Maria Sharapova wants to be tennis ambassador after sealing Grand Slam

Maria Sharapova, back at world No 1, poses with her trophy in Paris. Picture: AP

Maria Sharapova, back at world No 1, poses with her trophy in Paris. Picture: AP

MARIA Sharapova hopes she can emulate women’s tennis pioneer Billie Jean King and set an example for the players who will follow in her footsteps as she once again sits on top of the world.

Today the Russian will officially become world No 1 for the first time in four years, and she will do so as the tenth woman to win all four grand slam titles in her career after lifting the French Open trophy on Saturday.

Sharapova defeated Italy’s Sara Errani 6-3, 6-2 to put the icing on the cake of her long road back to the top after ten months out with a shoulder injury in 2008 and 2009.

The women’s game has struggled to match the extraordinary era in the men’s game at the moment, with Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic reaching new heights all the time. But, in Sharapova, the sport has a true global superstar, and someone who cares passionately about what it means to be world No 1.

She said: “I’m just extremely happy to be back at this stage. It means a lot to me personally.

“I’ve played the sport for so long and the sport itself means a lot to me, so my goal is to represent it in the best way possible and to be professional, on and off the court and set a good example, not just for now but a generation that follows after.

“Like Billie Jean King did. Obviously it’s something that’s always on my mind because I feel like, ultimately when you retire, what you put in place now, a whole new generation will follow in your footsteps.”

Sharapova will now take a few days off – four if she has her way, three if she has to give in to coach Thomas Hogstedt – before beginning to practise on grass.

The 25-year-old reached the final of Wimbledon last year, losing to Petra Kvitova, and she knows hers will now be the prized scalp at SW19.

The 2004 champion will be the top seed at the All England Club for the first time, and she said: “It means a lot and I have the next few days to enjoy what I’ve achieved here and then on to the next one.

“Everyone wants to be the grand slam champion at Roland Garros, and everyone wants to beat the number one. When I step out on the court in a few days, I’m going to start working toward improving.

“I love the transition from clay to grass, the first few days are always fun. I can’t wait to get back and get ready for Wimbledon.”

And there is certainly no chance of Sharapova resting on her laurels now she has conquered every surface.

“To keep going, that’s my goal,” she said. “Whether I win or lose, I will retire the day that I wake up and I feel like I don’t believe that I can become a better player. And what I have is not enough. That will be the day I will stop trying to achieve that.”

Errani came into the tournament having only won one match at Roland Garros in her career, and her run to the final was one of the more unexpected grand slam stories for many years.

The 25-year-old Italian will wake up this morning as a top-ten player, but she is already preparing for reality to hit home as she moves onto grass.

Errani said: “I have to just think that it’s not a normal thing for me to make the final of a grand slam. I don’t expect to make the final now in other tournaments.

“I played a good two weeks. It was incredible for me. But I just want to keep doing the same things that I was doing. So normal things. Just practise, and I’ll try to improve every day like I always do. So I have to think that I will lose.”

Left to rue her slow start in Saturday’s showpiece, the Italian added: “I started very bad and, with this player, if you give her some games like this in the beginning, of course she becomes more relaxed. It was very difficult for me to play.

“She played very well. She played at a very consistent level so it was very difficult for me to start the point the way I wanted to play the point.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/tennis/maria-sharapova-wants-to-be-tennis-ambassador-after-sealing-grand-slam-1-2348807

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
deadchip on 6/15/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#3 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 1:03:04 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Congratulations to my Maria on becoming World #1 and winning her first French Open

http://twitter.com/#!/NickBollettieri

About Maria Sharapova's tennis: Once the ball is in play, Sharapova is all business. She plays every opponent with basically the same strategy which is to stand right on the baseline, get her serves in, go for winners on defensive balls, attack weak serves and hit the swinging volley when she can.  What a great two weeks it was for her and I couldn’t be happier for her. A few years ago, the thought of her winning the French Open seemed out of the question, but she is clearly the top player in the women’s game right now.

http://blog.imgacademies.com/2012/06/11/nick-bollettieris-french-open-recap/

masha

deadchip on 6/15/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#4 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 1:12:52 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Navratilova happy to see 'superstar' Maria Sharapova on top

PARIS: Tennis legend Martina Navratilova said on Friday that the sport needed a star of Maria Sharapova's stature on top of the world rankings.

Sharapova took the top spot by reaching the French Open final and Navratilova, herself a former world number one and a winner of 18 Grand Slam singles titles, said the Russian deserved to reclaim a position she last held four years ago.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-06-08/top-stories/32125441_1_maria-sharapova-shoulder-surgery-tennis-legend-martina-navratilova

Navratilova prediction about Sharapova-Errani's final

Q. What do you think about Errani in the sense of she's very small. They're so always bigger and fitter player, and she play in a different way. Do you think is a new way is an exception? Which is the reason why? She's very good tactic?

MARTINA NAVRATILOVA: That's why. She's hits all the right shots. Sara Errani has great shot selection. She plays so well within herself, doesn't go for too much. I mean, yesterday at the very end of the match she hit couple nervous shots, and maybe beginning of the third set there was a shot that she should have made that she missed. 
It was the first time. She missed a backhand crosscourt into an open court. I was like, Wow, this is really the first shot that she missed that she should've made the whole match. She plays really well within herself. Good technique, great technique. She's got that grip that works okay. Because she's short, but she can hit a high ball that way.
She's got a lot of confidence now. I don't think it's a misnomer. I think you will see more and more of that. I mean, still the taller players have such a huge advantage. You have to be that much better, that much quicker when you're that short. 
I mean, she's giving away half a foot, at least, with just one step, if not more, on reach. So she's got to make up for that. Justine Henin did it, and now Errani is in the finals. Amazing stuff. It takes a lot of hootspa, so to speak, to think you can compete with players that are a foot taller than you are, but she's doing it.

Q. What about the chances she has in the final with the pressure all on Sharapova? 

MARTINA NAVRATILOVA: Yeah, like I said, I don't think it's the last chance. Maria is 25 years old. She's been around for a long time, but she's 25 and she's healthy. I don't think she needs to look at it, Oh, this may be my best chance ever, but this is her best chance up to now because she's never been in the finals.
If she was to look in the draw and who would she want to play in the finals, probably Sara Errani would on that list be just because of the serve and she can really dominate it. 
But at the same time, she was like was she 8 1 or 10 1 against Stosur, I think so I don't think she cared much who she was going to play against.
Anything can happen in a final. Maria is so tough and it took her so much to get to this point, I don't see her being overawed by the occasion. She's got a chance to be in the history books as one now she'll be I think the 11th woman to have won all the slams. More power to her.
It's going to take a monumental effort on Sara Errani's part to win that match, but she's played well enough to get to the final. She's probably playing well enough to win as well, but it's going to be difficult.

http://www.ubitennis.com/english/sport/tennis/2012/06/08/726057-navratilova_prediction_about_sharapova_errani_final.shtml

deadchip on 6/15/2012(UTC), Alireza on 6/15/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:29:51 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Happy Birthday, Steffi Graf

All-time great Steffi Graf was born 43 years ago today in Mannheim, West Germany. While we celebrate the career grand slam that Maria Sharapova locked up with her 2012 French Open title, we should also take a moment to celebrate the last woman to win all four slams in the same year.

Steffi Graf: The Golden Slam 1988

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY3NTXhMLD8&feature=player_embedded

Steffi Graf& André Agassi, two tennis Superstars of the 20th century. 

They were both number 1, they won plenty of titles in tennis. Their tennis careers end at the end of the 20th century. They marry in 2001, they have 2 kids. 

Superstars attract Superstars. It is contagious......

deadchip on 6/15/2012(UTC), frida on 6/15/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#5 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2012 8:56:54 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Martina Hingis column: Maria's still just as hungry.

Dartagnan: I don't think that Hingis uses the right word to explain Maria's success. 

Dartagnan: I would like to add that "Maria was never hungry".

Maria Sharapova just loves tennis, it is her passion. A passion which is passed down from Yuri Sharapov to Maria as Yuri loved practicing several sports. We have to see it as a paternal love of a Dad for his daughter. Maria loves her Dad a lot that is why she practiced and continues to practice tennis with passion, a sport that Yuri Sharapov likes. A sport that remembers Maria, her childhood and the best time she had with her family in her childhood and all the love she received from her parents who protected her. Tennis remembers her, her dad&mother rocking her to sleep when she was a young girl.  

I would like to remember that during the French Open ceremony the word "Rock" told by Maria about her parents was not translated correctly in french. They just translated it as "rock" but in french it is "bercer". 

Maria also said to her parents during the french open ceremony: 

Я вас очень сильно люблю= I love you from all my heart. 

Extraordinary Man

Yuri Sharapov

I know of an extraordinary compassionate man
Who lives and believes in doing all that he can.
For I know others who have met him will concur
I am honored to know this man as Maria’s father.
He is strong yet gentle with an impressible drive
In him she finds virtues for which she strives.
He has fought battles and at times had to make a sacrifice
Of which I know he would never think twice.
He carries a spirit within him that cannot be ignored
This spirit from heaven God's precious reward.
He maintains with wondrous art
Perpetual love and kindness in his heart.
Like the oysters that beautify and protect the pearls,
He enriches and preserves the life of his girl.
And in looking back on all the years of Maria’s life
He has always expressed love to her mother, his wife.
And with that there is nothing more to add
Because all the love he's shared makes Maria very glad.
So the greatest man that I have ever known
Is Sharapova’s father I am proud of him.

Friday, 22 June 2012

Martina Hingis, a former world No 1 and Wimbledon champion, writes for The Tennis Space: 

I first met Maria Sharapova when she was 12, and even then she was a fighter – she was a little blonde girl, but she was a real fighter. She was hungry then, and she’s still just as hungry now at the age of 25. And there’s nothing more important in women’s tennis than desire.-----> Dartagnan: it is Maria's passion for a sport she loves from her childhood in her family. 

When she was out for all those months – after the operation to her shoulder in 2008 – she would have realised how much more she wanted to achieve in tennis. That happens when you’re out of the sport for a while, you get the desire back. Without that desire, Maria would never have returned to No 1 in the rankings, and she would not be one of the favourites for this summer’s Wimbledon.------> Dartagnan: It is totally wrong, Anna Kournikova stopped playing tennis because of an injury and never came back. It is the same passion for tennis that pushed Maria Sharapova to surmounted all the difficulties and reach the top level in tennis. Maria Sharapova always believes in herself. Tennis was her passion from her childhood. 

I think you could say that Maria is not the most talented player of her generation, but she has always got the most out of herself. Yes, she is tall and has great reach, and is a good ball-striker, but her greatest attribute has always been that she has dedicated herself to her tennis, and done everything she can to be the best player she can be.------> Dartagnan: I think that Maria Sharapova is the best tennis player of her generation only because she won the final of Wimbledon at a age when tennis players of her generation were still juniors. 

The first time I saw Maria was when I was practising at the Nick Bollettieri Academy in Florida, and I was impressed by her attitude, and how aggressive she was on the court. It was certainly no accident that she was a Wimbledon champion at 17. She had no fear back then, just as I didn’t have any fear when I won Wimbledon at 16; you don’t think too much and you’re not scared of losing. Without a doubt, Maria has improved in the eight years since she won the Wimbledon title. There was a lot of hype around then, but she’s a better player now. Maria has matured and gained experience and her forehand – which used to be a little fragile – is a much stronger shot.

It’s great to see her back at the top of the sport. I noticed that, in her speech after winning the French Open, which gave her a career grand slam, she made a point of thanking her physical trainer, as she knows how important it is to be healthy again.

Dartagnan: I will conclude by saying that Maria Sharapova is a nice person because she loves her parents that is why God always helps her in difficult situations. 

http://www.tonictennis.com/

paul_pipkin
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2012 7:29:44 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

Dart, that's mild coming from Hinigis. lol

We all do our own thing. Martina, along with Kournikova, is about being a "bad girl" & her talk reflects it.

A few years ago, talking about different players, she was asked about Sharapova, and Hingis said:

"Maria's like me, mean as a snake.

ROFL She meant that in a good way.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 6/23/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#8 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 9:03:18 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Myskina Lauds Sharapova's 'Wonderful' Year

Maria Sharapova

Former French Open champion Anastasia Myskina has hailed Maria Sharapova's season, saying her countrywoman should forget about trivial failures and bask in the glory of a career Grand Slam.

Despite losing the WTA Championships final on Sunday and the Olympic final in August - both to Serena Williams - Sharapova became only the sixth woman in the open era to claim all four slam titles when she won at Roland Garros.

"She's had a great season," said Myskina, who beat Elena Dementieva to win the French Open in 2004.

"Maybe here and there Masha didn't get the results she wanted, but on the whole the year has turned out wonderfully," Myskina told R-Sport.

Sharapova ends the year at world No. 2, a feat she last achieved in 2006, and spent a short time in June in the No. 1 slot, a position she had last held in June 2008.

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20121029/177015919.html

Alireza on 10/30/2012(UTC)
sowei
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:32:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
<3Maria Sharapova
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:35:34 AM(UTC)
<3Maria Sharapova

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Seems like Maria gotta chooses one side, right?
CROUCHING TIGER
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:24:04 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)
CROUCHING TIGER
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:29:10 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Kg7z0cWrirA/UJEQN0QZ7OI/AAAAAAAAKVk/SItcmHg-awI/s1600/394989_275047295932149_283218767_n.jpg

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
<3Maria Sharapova
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:32:29 AM(UTC)
<3Maria Sharapova

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 47 post(s)

CROUCHING TIGER;320226 wrote:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Kg7z0cWrirA/UJEQN0QZ7OI/AAAAAAAAKVk/SItcmHg-awI/s1600/394989_275047295932149_283218767_n.jpg

What is the event of this photo?

Hesco
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:39:37 AM(UTC)
Hesco

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 32 post(s)

<3Maria Sharapova;320227 wrote:

CROUCHING TIGER;320226 wrote:

What is the event of this photo?

Maria was named Russian best tennis player for 2012 (male and female?)