logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Yekaterina Makarova
Dartagnan
#1 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 3:43:41 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Russia's Makarova snatches victory at Melbourne

Jan 23, 2012 10:51 Moscow Time

Russia’s Yekaterina Makarova has snatched a sensational victory at Australian Open in Melbourne defeating the world’s number one Serena Williams in an one hour 17 minute meet.

In quarterfinals, Makarova will taken on her compatriot Maria Sharapova or Sabina Lisicki of Germany.

We should congratulate Makarova for this fantastic victory against Serena Williams. 

This victory was unpredictible but that means Makarova plays a good tennis. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Dartagnan
#2 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 3:50:28 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Serena Williams loses to Ekaterina Makarova (6-2, 6-3) Australian Open 2012

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2p2pxOc-I

Five-time champion Serena Williams is out of the Australian Open in a shocking upset, beaten Monday by unseeded Ekaterina Makarova of Russia 6-2, 6-3.

Makarova played an intelligent tennis against Serena. 

masha

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Dartagnan
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:04:41 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Serena Williams x Ekaterina Makarova AO 2012 rd 4 full match

Serena Williams is not unbeatable, if you play a good tennis. 

It is very interesting to watch this match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSBwI4uZcB8 

makarova

masha

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 1/25/2012(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 08, 2012 8:12:54 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1878 time(s) in 1248 post(s)

Makarova and Soares, Last-Minute Teammates, Win Mixed Doubles

Ekaterina Makarova and Bruno Soares after winning the mixed doubles championship at the United States Open.Eduardo Munoz/Reuters

Ekaterina Makarova and Bruno Soares after winning the mixed doubles championship at the United States Open.

A pick-up team that registered to play with less than one minute remaining before the tournament deadline won the 2012 United States Open mixed doubles championship.

Ekaterina Makarova of Russia and Bruno Soares of Brazil defeated Kveta Peschke of the Czech Republic and Marcin Matkowski of Poland, 6-7 (8), 6-1, 12-10 (tiebreak).

Soares said that he discovered moments before the sign-in on Aug. 17 that his ranking and that of his proposed partner, Jarmila Gajdosova of Australia, would not qualify them to enter the championship.

Makarova was practicing on a distant outside court, he said. Her ranking would qualify them, he said he was told.

“So I had to run, actually my coach did that. He went running all the way over there and talked to her and called me like 30 seconds to go and said, ‘You can sign.’”

On Thursday, the pair dropped the first set in an agonizing 18-point tiebreaker. “Inside I was really nervous,” Makarova said.

But her partner praised her ability to blunt their opponents’ serving advantage. “One thing that really helps us is because she returns really well,” Soares said.

The pair upset the second-seeded team of Lisa Raymond and Mike Bryan of the United States in the first round. Peschke and Matkowski upset the top-seeded team of Liezel Huber of the United States and Max Mirnyi of Belarus in the semifinals.

http://straightsets.blog...mates-win-mixed-doubles/

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
CROUCHING TIGER
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:05:00 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2866 time(s) in 1722 post(s)
Li Cruises Through To Quarterfinals:)

MELBOURNE, Australia - Li Na put a messy third round match behind her in a big way, storming past Ekaterina Makarova in under an hour to move through to the quarters of the Australian Open.

Li had all kinds of trouble against No.26 seed Lucie Safarova in the previous round, rallying from 61 53 down and even saving a match point later in the set. But the No.4-seeded Li survived that one, and she looked like she was playing on a new breath of life against Makarova, inching ahead 3-2 early on then reeling off nine games in a row to finish the No.22-seeded Russian off in just 59 minutes, 62 60.

"After the tough match two days ago I practiced a lot, because I think I really made my coach Carlos sad with that match," Li said. "I could tell he was really unhappy. Even yesterday I knew if I didn't do something well he would be upset. So I tried a lot yesterday in practice and also in the match today.

"I think I made him a bit happier today."

As the match went on, Li looked more and more relaxed. And on match point, the Chinese implemented something she's been working on a lot - she charged the net and put away a backhand volley.

"I have to be relaxed on the court," Li said. "If I get nervous or tired, I'll start thinking too much and I'll forget what I should do on the court. Also I can't think too much before the match about what my opponent's going to do, because I'll forget the most important things I should do on the court."

Li has now reached the quarterfinals or better at the Australian Open four times - the most for her at any Grand Slam. Awaiting her next is No.28 seed Flavia Pennetta - they are tied 2-2 head-to-head.

"It's been at least two years we didn't play, and time can change everything. But at least she's one day older than me, so I don't have to play a younger player again!" Li joked in her press conference.

"For sure it will be a tough match though. She had an injury and at the US Open she started playing really well again, and she has continued that here. It's never easy - especially at a Grand Slam."

With years playing on the tour alongside each other, do Li and Pennetta have a good relationship?

"Of course we talk a lot," Li said. "It's very tough to stay on the tour for over 10 years, so if you see the same player a lot it feels more friendly. Because now the younger players are coming more and more."

Li's press conference was going on as Ana Ivanovic's stunner over Serena Williams was going on on Rod Laver Arena - but while that obviously opens the draw for Li, she's only focused on her next one.

"I think I watched the second set, a couple of games from the second set, when I finished my cool down and went back to the locker room," Li said. "After that I didn't see any of it. Is she down?"

Li was told Williams was down 5-2 in the third set - then asked if she had any comment.

"No, because they are not my next opponent," she said.

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
appaloosa on 1/19/2014(UTC)
appaloosa
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2014 7:47:06 AM(UTC)
appaloosa

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 108 post(s)

Nice that Na has a cordial relationship with Flavia. Relationships don't always have to be polar

opposite 'love or hate' affairs. I think the media is overzealous in stirring the pot here. But

that's obvious. Dah! Li Na for me, comes across as pretty straight forward. The American press was

focused on getting everyone's reaction to williams' loss. Too bad. Some players are just focused on

who is still around that they have to beat. The williams can just go away now, thank you very much.

Azerenka is known to have said she has a great relationship with everyone (??). Sloane Stevens, when asked

in Melbourne what kind of relationship they had, she said "non-existent".

Some great matches still to come. How about that Genie girl? * MARIA FIRST UP on Rod Laver *

1 user thanked appaloosa for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 1/19/2014(UTC)