logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
ROGERS CUP - MONTREAL 4-13 Aug
paul_pipkin
#45 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 3:55:36 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)

Lezee, she won Roland Garros, completing her career slam, carried the flag and won a Silver Medal. (The "#1" crap doesn't matter to me.)

Sorry if that's not good enough for her or others--cause it's just fine by me. 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
2 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Aussie4 on 8/10/2012(UTC), deadchip on 8/12/2012(UTC)
alexandreka
#43 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 4:26:35 PM(UTC)
alexandreka

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan;318346 wrote:
I think it's safe to say Maria will be no factor at the U.S. Open, even if she gets healthy enough to play. You can't just have no game action and little practice for a month and show up at a major and contend. Plus, an illness like she has is the kind that saps your strength and stamina. This reminds me of the last part of 2011, where that ankle injury ruined the end of her season. Now she gets this illness, and the end of any chance to win the Open or get back to number one, with all the points she'll be losing and missing out on. Maria's dream year is quickly unravelling.

If Masha doesn't play at USO, she might be exceed by radwanska. But if this is the best for her, si let it be...
PodgeMcQ
#44 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 4:39:42 PM(UTC)
PodgeMcQ

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 47 post(s)

Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan;318346 wrote:
I think it's safe to say Maria will be no factor at the U.S. Open, even if she gets healthy enough to play. You can't just have no game action and little practice for a month and show up at a major and contend. Plus, an illness like she has is the kind that saps your strength and stamina. This reminds me of the last part of 2011, where that ankle injury ruined the end of her season. Now she gets this illness, and the end of any chance to win the Open or get back to number one, with all the points she'll be losing and missing out on. Maria's dream year is quickly unravelling.

Of course Maria can come back and win the USO, look at Clijsters when she won the USO in 2009 and she haden't played a proper tournament for years. If anyone can do it Maria can. I'm sure she's practicing hard.

Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan
#46 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 4:54:19 PM(UTC)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Maria isn't the kind of player that can pull that of, IMO. Just look at the French this year. The reason Maria won it was because she was, by far, the best clay court player heading into that tournament with her wins in Stuttgart and Rome. She was extremely battle-tested and confident. Serena and Kim always had their superior natural athletic ability to count on that could carry them through tournaments, even without proper match preparation. They were exceptions to the rule.

This just makes me sad. Maria had clearly established herself as the second best player on tour, even ahead of Vika, I believe, and was in line for a really good hard court season. Each tournament is precious in a tennis career. And to see them taken away from Maria for a second summer in a row is frustrating. I just hope it isn't too serious because for someone as competitive as her to withdraw twice in a row isn't good. I'm worried about her.
alexandreka
#47 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 5:01:16 PM(UTC)
alexandreka

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Bad news... I'll be at the first round of the USO, and if she doesn't play, arghhh...
paul_pipkin
#48 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 7:50:30 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

FLASH! Vika has withdrawn injured from Montréal & from Cincy also.

Dartagnan
#49 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 8:31:28 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

paul_pipkin;318354 wrote:

FLASH! Vika has withdrawn injured from Montréal & from Cincy also.

Yes, Vika also needs a rest after the olympic games. She did a good work. 

It is a chance for other tennis players to win the trophy of Montreal. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Imnumber2
#50 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 8:56:20 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

Looks like every top players want to be in shape for the US Open. Not sure that's a good idea 

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
Aussie4
#51 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 9:06:09 PM(UTC)
Aussie4

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 31 post(s)

I'm positive with Vika's withdrawl Maria will be #1. However, it will be short lived, because she'll 100% lose it without defending Cinci. She'll more than likely drop to #3/#4 depending on how Aga and Manrina perform next week.

Alireza
#39 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:00:45 AM(UTC)
Alireza

Was thanked: 965 time(s) in 508 post(s)

Dartagnan;318338 wrote:

Ihumanluvmariasharapova419;318337 wrote:
Guys she pulled out of Cinci..;(

That means that the Stomach Virus made Masha ill so she needs more time to recover. 

It is a bad news. Maria Sharapova is ill !!! 

But Masha might play at the US open. 

http://tennis.com/articl...leid=19138&zoneid=25

This illness looks very serious! I thought Maria will be ok until Cinci but she withdraws from Cinci!

This is really bad news!

Let's pray Maria will be ok until US Open!

Persian Gulf FOREVER -Arabs can not change the history, they can't cheat-
Philli Wan
#53 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:25:18 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 134 post(s)

No guys, I think you are all wrong.  The reason why Maria has pulled out of Cincinatti is because Serena is on the players list.  Right now Maria's confidence is shattered, she will need time to get over her devastating and humiliating loss at the Olympics.  The last thing she needs is to come up against Serena again at Cincy and take another brutal beating.  That was the second worst loss she's ever had to take... the first one was a double bagel from Lindsay Davenport at Indian Wells in 2005.  Serena came very close to doing it to her again. 

Her loss at the Olympics was watched by an estimated 200 million people worldwide.  Some will remember that Russia got the Silver...Most will remember that USA got the Gold in a one sided clinical annialation of Russia's so called Queen of Tennis in a match that was a demonstration of total superiority by Serena Williams.  The Mythos Maria Sharapova took a serious hammering on Centre Court that day. I'm sure it will have long term repercussions on her status as The perfect tennis player.

MidnightSun
#54 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:41:25 AM(UTC)
MidnightSun

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Philli Wan;318366 wrote:

No guys, I think you are all wrong.  The reason why Maria has pulled out of Cincinatti is because Serena is on the players list.  Right now Maria's confidence is shattered, she will need time to get over her devastating and humiliating loss at the Olympics.  The last thing she needs is to come up against Serena again at Cincy and take another brutal beating.  That was the second worst loss she's ever had to take... the first one was a double bagel from Lindsay Davenport at Indian Wells in 2005.  Serena came very close to doing it to her again. 

Her loss at the Olympics was watched by an estimated 200 million people worldwide.  Some will remember that Russia got the Silver...Most will remember that USA got the Gold in a one sided clinical annialation of Russia's so called Queen of Tennis in a match that was a demonstration of total superiority by Serena Williams.  The Mythos Maria Sharapova took a serious hammering on Centre Court that day. I'm sure it will have long term repercussions on her status as The perfect tennis player.

Epic logic...

And I don't think anyone ever considered Maria "The perfect tennis player" . Good - yes, perfect - no. Nobody on the tour in the last few years can be called perfect including ur beloved SERENA.

Philli Wan
#58 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:10:56 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Oh, I agree with you, of course, but there are those drooling lovesick fans who frequent the Forum and are convinced that Maria is the Best Tennis Player that 'God' ever created. Poor souls.
1 user thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 8/12/2012(UTC)
Aussie4
#55 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2012 6:03:06 AM(UTC)
Aussie4

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 31 post(s)

Philli Wan;318366 wrote:

I suppose Vika's 'knee' injury is just a cover up? Considering she was also slaughtered by Manrina

No one said she was the epitome of perfection; Maria has said numerous times she hates when kids tell her they wanna be like her because she is so flawed.

ehhh whatever

1 user thanked Aussie4 for this useful post.
Valkyre on 8/13/2012(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#56 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2012 9:08:43 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Philli Wan;318366 wrote:

BS, Philli. This is the sorta thing where I wonder if you aren't really Amerkaans. In all the world, only the Yanks demonstrate such utter contempt for anything other than Gold. (Except when they don't get it.)

Masha's mythos is just fine. Fortune of sport aside, Maria is an angel. Serena is a dirt-bag. End of story.

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Aussie4 on 8/11/2012(UTC)
Philli Wan
#60 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:37:25 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Funny you should say that, Paul.  Sometimes I think you're Russian.  Good thing you weren't around in the Macarthy era.  But I still like you anyway.

Of couse Serena is a dirtbag with a very bad attitude.  That's not up for discussion. I'm simply saying that the Mythos is a very fragile cloak wrapped around a pretty young girl who has more problems living up to it than we can possibly imagine.

CROUCHING TIGER
#62 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 7:57:32 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2862 time(s) in 1718 post(s)
Hmmmmmm, that sexy "banana" is back; LOVE IT...May The Force Be With U:)...

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
Dartagnan
#57 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:36:37 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

paul_pipkin;318370 wrote:

Philli Wan;318366 wrote:

BS, Philli. This is the sorta thing where I wonder if you aren't really Amerkaans. In all the world, only the Yanks demonstrate such utter contempt for anything other than Gold. (Except when they don't get it.)

Masha's mythos is just fine. Fortune of sport aside, Maria is an angel. Serena is a dirt-bag. End of story.

Maria Sharapova is a perfect tennis player. She did a good job at the Olympic Games. Serena's tennis is not the perfect one, her wins are based on the physical force only, that is why people know that she is doped at the age of 30 years old.

Maria Sharapova defeated all other players except the one who is doped. Maria has a good ranking. Masha's fan support her.

I can say to Maria Sharapova, don't worry. Even Elena Isinbaeva who is the world champion in pole vault, got a bronze medal at the Olympic Games. 

Maria Sharapova is the new Roland Garros CHampion. It was not easy to reach this title for her but she did a good job. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

paul_pipkin
#61 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:55:32 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Philli Wan;318390 wrote:

Funny you should say that, Paul.  Sometimes I think you're Russian.  Good thing you weren't around in the Macarthy era.  But I still like you anyway.

Of couse Serena is a dirtbag with a very bad attitude.  That's not up for discussion. I'm simply saying that the Mythos is a very fragile cloak wrapped around a pretty young girl who has more problems living up to it than we can possibly imagine.

I WAS around--I'm part of the lot that put an end to it. That's why I know what this latter-day Russia-baiting crap is all about: imperialist designs against the East.

Yah, and a far more complicated mythos than, say, Dementieva had to shoulder. Even Elena had to put up with an image that did not even approximate her actual personality.

MushyForMasha
#63 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 11:22:19 AM(UTC)
MushyForMasha

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Man, there sure are some goofy ideas that get posted around Sharapova. First of all, no serious tennis fan claims she is the best, but anybody who's paid any attention to her knows she's the last player in the WTA who would make "excuses" for herself or be afraid to play anybody (no player in the upper rankings is afraid to play another opponent--you wouldn't survive a week with that attitude). She said she was sick, therefore she was sick, end of story. She went to Montreal in good faith but decided it wasn't going to happen. Simple as that. Pulling out of Cincinnati pretty much validates all that. We're talking about one of the most competitive athletes in tennis (meaning mental toughness, desire to win, will to improve); she doesn't pull out of anything lightly.

The Olympics and Serena -- Maria got pasted, absolutely waxed by possibly the best of all time. Nobody gets that fact like Sharapova. I never heard anything from Sharapova later that suggested she was making excuses. She was asked questions about her virus or whatever it is. She said "I started feeling something the last day of the Olympics" (not quoting exactly). That's all. That's it. I don't find a hint in there of excuse-making. They asked the question, she gave them the information. What is the big freaking deal? What material is in that succinct little factoid that can generate so many theories and speculations and, in some case, drooling rants?

Once again I'll say this about being a Maria Sharapova fan: I'm a fan for a myriad of my own personal, subjective and utterly valid reasons, none of which are subject to anyone else's analysis or judgement. I find her a compelling player on the WTA because I find her a compelling player on the WTA. Period.

Oh...and bite me.

3 users thanked MushyForMasha for this useful post.
alexandreka on 8/12/2012(UTC), Aussie4 on 8/12/2012(UTC), Valkyre on 8/13/2012(UTC)