logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
ROGERS CUP - MONTREAL 4-13 Aug
Dartagnan
#22 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 11:59:20 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Sharapova out of Montreal with stomach virus 

It is a good news for those who wanted Masha to have a rest. 

But it is a bad news to know that Masha is ill. 

A stomach Virus ? Who do put a Stomach Virus in Masha's food at the Olympic Games? Ummm So this Virus might have been the cause of her fail against Serena. 

There are three solutions which explained Masha's fail at the final:

1) It is the Stomach Virus which caused Masha's fail at the final

2) Serena was over-doped and gave no chance to Masha

3) Masha had a Stomach Virus and Serena was over-doped. 

I hope Masha will find a solution to kill this Virus. 

masha64000;318282 wrote:

Sorry for my bad english, i'm a french girl 

Maria Sharapova had to withdraw from the Rogers Cup in Montreal because of a stomach virus, which has been bothering her since the London Olympics. A source told TENNIS.com that Sharapova first got the virus the night before the Olympic gold medal match, when she was crushed by Serena Williams 6-0, 6-1. Lucky loser Galina Voskoboeva will replace her in the draw. On Tuesday in her pre-tournament press conference, Sharapova said she hadn't lost hope after her quick loss to Serena. The world No. 2 hasn't beaten Williams since 2004 and had only won nine games in their past three contests. "If I sat here and thought there was nothing I could do, that would probably be very disappointing," Sharapova said. "It will motivate me to keep going and keep practicing. There are certainly things I could have done better but she was playing really good tennis."

http://www.tennis.com/ar...leid=19108&zoneid=25

This tournament is finish for Masha !

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

2 users thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
Alireza on 8/8/2012(UTC), alexandreka on 8/8/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#23 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 12:14:31 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

What Is the Stomach Virus?

Stomach flu is caused by a virus. There are a number of different viruses that can cause stomach flu, but the so-called "stomach virus" does not actually affect the stomach at all. Viruses that cause stomach flu affect the small intestine. Furthermore, these stomach flu viruses are not actually flu viruses. The flu virus is the influenza virusInfluenza virus does not cause stomach flu symptoms.

Regardless of the inaccuracies of the terms "stomach flu" and "stomach virus," these are the most commonly used terms to describe what healthcare providers call viral gastroenteritis.

Specific Facts Regarding the Stomach Virus

There are a number of viruses that can cause stomach flu. There are four main types of stomach viruses:

• Rotavirus

• Caliciviruses

• Adenovirus

• Astrovirus.

Rotavirus

Rotavirus is the leading cause of stomach flu among children 3 months to 15 months old and the most common cause of diarrhea in children under the age of 5 years. This type of "stomach virus" causes vomiting and watery diarrhea for 3 to 8 days, along with fever and abdominal pain. This stomach flu virus can also infect adults who are in close contact with infected children, but the symptoms in adults are milder (see Adult Rotavirus). In the United States, rotavirus infections are most common from November to April.

Adult Rotavirus: Transmission

Large amounts of rotavirus are shed in the stools of infected people. This contaminated stool can easily spread to hands and objects. Because rotavirus is stable in the environment -- meaning that it can live for a long time outside of a host -- rotavirus transmission can occur quite easily through the following methods:

• Ingestion of contaminated food or water

• Direct contact with contaminated surfaces and then putting the hands in the mouth.

Adults are commonly infected by their children.

Symptoms of Rotavirus in Adults

Most adults who are infected with rotavirus will not develop symptoms of the virus. If rotavirus symptoms do occur, the illness can begin suddenly. Common symptoms of rotavirus in adults include:

• Vomiting

• Upset stomach

• Fever

• Watery diarrhea

• Loss of appetite

• Mucus in stool.

Adult Rotavirus: Treatment

There is no medicine that will kill rotavirus. Therefore, adultrotavirus treatment goals are focused on providing supportive care while the body fights the rotavirus infection. Supportive care refers to treating symptoms, such as dehydration, that can occur as a result of the rotavirus infection.

People who experience rotavirus symptoms usually have them for a couple of days. During this time, rotavirus treatment to relieve symptoms can include:

• Resting in bed

• Drinking plenty of fluids

• Taking medication (such as aspirin or acetaminophen) to relieve fever.

Caliciviruses 

Caliciviruses cause infection in people of all ages. This family of viruses is divided into four types, the noroviruses (see Norovirus)being the most common. It is now thought that at least 50 percent of all foodborne outbreaks of gastroenteritis can be attributed to noroviruses. Norwalk virus is a type of norovirus. People infected with one of these "stomach viruses" may develop vomiting anddiarrhea, fatigue, headache, and sometimes muscle aches.Norovirus symptoms appear within 1 to 3 days of exposure.

Adenovirus

Adenovirus infections occur mainly in children under 2 years of age. Of the 49 types of adenoviruses, one strain affects the gastrointestinal tract, causing vomiting and diarrhea. Symptoms from this "stomach virus" typically appear 1 week after exposure. Adenovirus infections occur year-round.

Astrovirus

Astrovirus infects primarily infants, young children, and the elderly. This type of "stomach virus" is most active during the winter months. Vomiting and diarrhea appear within 1 to 3 days of exposure.

Dartagnan;318283 wrote:

Sharapova out of Montreal with stomach virus 

It is a good news for those who wanted Masha to have a rest. 

But it is a bad news to know that Masha is ill. 

A stomach Virus ? Who do put a Stomach Virus in Masha's food at the Olympic Games? Ummm So this Virus might have been the cause of her fail against Serena. 

There are three solutions which explained Masha's fail at the final:

1) It is the Stomach Virus which caused Masha's fail at the final

2) Serena was over-doped and gave no chance to Masha

3) Masha had a Stomach Virus and Serena was over-doped. 

I hope Masha will find a solution to kill this Virus. 

masha64000;318282 wrote:

Sorry for my bad english, i'm a french girl 

Maria Sharapova had to withdraw from the Rogers Cup in Montreal because of a stomach virus, which has been bothering her since the London Olympics. A source told TENNIS.com that Sharapova first got the virus the night before the Olympic gold medal match, when she was crushed by Serena Williams 6-0, 6-1. Lucky loser Galina Voskoboeva will replace her in the draw. On Tuesday in her pre-tournament press conference, Sharapova said she hadn't lost hope after her quick loss to Serena. The world No. 2 hasn't beaten Williams since 2004 and had only won nine games in their past three contests. "If I sat here and thought there was nothing I could do, that would probably be very disappointing," Sharapova said. "It will motivate me to keep going and keep practicing. There are certainly things I could have done better but she was playing really good tennis."

http://www.tennis.com/ar...leid=19108&zoneid=25

This tournament is finish for Masha !

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
Alireza on 8/8/2012(UTC)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan
#24 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 1:08:22 PM(UTC)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Cynics will say it is a convenient excuse to bow out of this tournament. Whether it truly is illness or fatigue or a combination of the two, the bottom line is I'm happy she's not playing this week. Even if she was physically healthy, I don't think she would have been totally mentally engaged in playing tennis. And if she's not fully prepared to give 100%, she isn't doing herself any good and was probably looking at an early exit anyway.

Maria just needs to be healthy and at her best at the U.S. Open. A few extra points to her ranking isn't that important. She's locked in the top 5 for rest of the year, most likely, and that's good enough.
Brebis
#25 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 1:16:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)
Yes, I would say it is an excuse but a needed one after alL the tournaments lately. Maria needs rest , mainly mentally I would say, to perform better in NY. Not many points to defend, so practise on hard court and we will see you next week again Maria.
Alireza
#26 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 1:59:24 PM(UTC)
Alireza

Was thanked: 965 time(s) in 508 post(s)

Brebis;318287 wrote:
Yes, I would say it is an excuse but a needed one after alL the tournaments lately. Maria needs rest , mainly mentally I would say, to perform better in NY. Not many points to defend, so practise on hard court and we will see you next week again Maria.

I agree with you! Maria needs rest and this is good chance to rest enough until next tournament! But as Dartagnan said, this is good news for who wants Maria restes and bad news is, Maria is ill now!

However, I hope that Maria gets better until next week and we see her at next tournament, I think next tournament will be Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati, USA!

Go Go Maria

Persian Gulf FOREVER -Arabs can not change the history, they can't cheat-
2 users thanked Alireza for this useful post.
alexandreka on 8/8/2012(UTC), Dartagnan on 8/8/2012(UTC)
katmilr
#27 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 7:18:51 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 64 post(s)
so sad :(
I hope she can be in Cincy next week to defend her title
I went 2 years ago, great tournament!
We love you Maria get well soon :)
1 user thanked katmilr for this useful post.
Alireza on 8/9/2012(UTC)
deadchip
#28 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 9:36:45 PM(UTC)
deadchip

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
She made the trip to MTL, which means it's likely not totally an excuse and she says that she first felt it the night before the Final in London. Anyhow, too bad. I agree that she may need some R&R, but this was a good opportunity take back the #1 ranking. It shows how little she cares about that really. Cincy will be tougher as Serena will be there I'm pretty sure. Glad I didn't go this year!! Just watching my recording of Eugenie Bouchard playing Shahar Peer earlier today. Bouchard is going to be a good one. She has all the tools. A big win for the 18 year old young Canuck. Tomorrow it doesn't get easier as she gets Li Na. Well I hope Maria is feeling better and that she takes does well deserved rest.
Masha is my #1!!
Philli Wan
#29 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:57:48 AM(UTC)
Philli Wan

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 134 post(s)

Several ways to look at this.  First off..the time frame.  The excuse for losing so badly in the Final.  Virus? ...No.  Butterflies and being scared to death to have to face Serena is more like it.  Strange that she only mentions it now after having a week to come up with some kind of excuse for her shitty performance and utter defeat.  There are pics of her practising on page one of the thread... no signs of her looking ill.  There are enough meds that people can take for an upset stomach but not much you can do about being scared shitless when you are up against Serena.

Fact is, she needs to get her confidence back.  Perhaps the break will do her good. But...Stomach virus, who does she think she is kidding.

But, now everybody can say...Ahhh, well no wonder she lost the Final, she was sick with a virus.  Good one Maria.

1 user thanked Philli Wan for this useful post.
Valkyre on 8/9/2012(UTC)
Valkyre
#30 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 3:04:39 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

Well whatever the case may be I think it is for the best. They even said that Maria went to the hospital. I hope she gets well fast and to be honest I am glad she gets to rest.

@Philli: I dont think Serena is a reason to pull out of Montreal. In fact it would be a great chance for Maria in Montreal to make up some points since Serena is not playing there either. So if Maria was afraid of Serena she would never pull out of Montreal because she  shouldnt have to face her. So that is not the case. I think it is better for her to rest.

As for excuses in the final, I dont think anyone here is going to say something like that. not at all.

Only thing I am saying is for her to get well, rest and be ready for the reminder of the season.

1 user thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 8/9/2012(UTC)
Imnumber2
#32 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 9:40:07 AM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

She'll be fine and ready for Cinci. I'm from Montreal and yes too bad that I will not see her playing but trust me it's for the best.

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
2 users thanked Imnumber2 for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 8/9/2012(UTC), Valkyre on 8/9/2012(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#33 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 11:41:23 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1869 time(s) in 1239 post(s)

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Singles - Second Round
(2) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) d. Mona Barthel (GER) 46 63 76(5)

(9) Marion Bartoli (FRA) d. Peng Shuai (CHN) 61 63
(10) Li Na (CHN) d. (WC) Eugénie Bouchard (CAN) 64 64 (Not bad, Eugénie )
Roberta Vinci (ITA) d. (11) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) 60 60 :P 
Varvara Lepchenko (USA) d. (12) Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) 64 64 Congrats!
(WC) Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) d. (13) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) 62 63
Carla Suárez Navarro (ESP) d. (15) Sabine Lisicki (GER) 36 63 64
Christina McHale (USA) d. (LL) Galina Voskoboeva (KAZ) 75 36 62

Suspended due to rain
(1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) is tied with Tamira Paszek (AUT) 33

(6) Angelique Kerber (GER) leads Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) 61 13 davaiii!!!
(7) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) leads (Q) Kiki Bertens (NED) 75 40 

Doubles - Second Round
(1) Huber/Raymond (USA/USA) d. Dushevina/Tanasugarn (RUS/THA) 61 63

Chan/Chan (TPE/TPE) d. Craybas/Suárez Navarro (USA/ESP) 61 60

Suspended due to rain
Jans-Ignacik/Mladenovic (POL/FRA) are tied with Pavlyuchenkova/Safarova (RUS/CZE) 75 67(8)

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Valkyre on 8/10/2012(UTC)
robb
#31 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 11:53:09 AM(UTC)
robb

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Valkyre;318312 wrote:

Well whatever the case may be I think it is for the best. They even said that Maria went to the hospital. I hope she gets well fast and to be honest I am glad she gets to rest.

@Philli: I dont think Serena is a reason to pull out of Montreal. In fact it would be a great chance for Maria in Montreal to make up some points since Serena is not playing there either. So if Maria was afraid of Serena she would never pull out of Montreal because she  shouldnt have to face her. So that is not the case. I think it is better for her to rest.

As for excuses in the final, I dont think anyone here is going to say something like that. not at all.

Only thing I am saying is for her to get well, rest and be ready for the reminder of the season.

Yeah she had a tough olympic week...I think she played every day from Wednesday to Saturday, plus she made harder work of her matches than serena did. Good decision, whatever the case.

robb
#34 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 11:58:41 AM(UTC)
robb

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)

paul_pipkin;318329 wrote:

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Singles - Second Round

Suspended due to rain

Doubles - Second Round

Suspended due to rain
Jans-Ignacik/Mladenovic (POL/FRA) are tied with Pavlyuchenkova/Safarova (RUS/CZE) 75 67(8)

Paul, as u are as an expert of all thing russian, can YOU tell me why Russia have gone backwards at this year's olympics? They have finished 3rd in the medals with almost 30 golds in the last three olympics. In london they have 12 or 13 so far!! Is it lack of funding? Our uk team has been funded by the national lottery, and home advantage has helped THEM to clinch 3rd place in the medals. Your thoughts???

Ihumanluvmariasharapova419
#37 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 12:56:31 PM(UTC)
Ihumanluvmariasharapova419

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Guys she pulled out of Cinci..;(
1 user thanked Ihumanluvmariasharapova419 for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/10/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#38 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 1:15:48 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Ihumanluvmariasharapova419;318337 wrote:
Guys she pulled out of Cinci..;(

That means that the Stomach Virus made Masha ill so she needs more time to recover. 

It is a bad news. Maria Sharapova is ill !!! 

But Masha might play at the US open. 

http://tennis.com/articl...leid=19138&zoneid=25

paul_pipkin
#35 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 1:16:16 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1869 time(s) in 1239 post(s)

robb;318336 wrote:

paul_pipkin;318329 wrote:

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Singles - Second Round

Suspended due to rain

Doubles - Second Round

Suspended due to rain

Paul, as u are as an expert of all thing russian, can YOU tell me why Russia have gone backwards at this year's olympics? They have finished 3rd in the medals with almost 30 golds in the last three olympics. In london they have 12 or 13 so far!! Is it lack of funding? Our uk team has been funded by the national lottery, and home advantage has helped THEM to clinch 3rd place in the medals. Your thoughts???

First, the Olympiad is far from "finished". Russia is third in overall medals, but they will narrow the gap with China. I'm sure they have more Gold coming, two in rythmic gymnastics.

That said, they ARE light on the gold and there is no question the Duma needs to pony up more rubles. The Russian tennis budget, for example is less than Canada's.

Rank by GoldCountryGoldSilverBronzeTotal

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Dartagnan
#36 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 1:23:17 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

[/quote]

First, the Olympiad is far from "finished". Russia is third in overall medals, but they will narrow the gap with China. I'm sure they have more Gold coming, two in rythmic gymnastics.

That said, they ARE light on the gold and there is no question the Duma needs to pony up more rubles. The Russian tennis budget, for example is less than Canada's.

Rank by GoldCountryGoldSilverBronzeTotal

[/quote]

Chineses athletes are strong and win plenty of gold medals, I would like to know if they receive a lot of money from their country for their victories. 

I guess the chinese receive less money than the usa athletes but they do a good work. That is why their system still works better.  Usa should decrease the salary of their athletes. 

Cecig
#40 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 2:00:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I hope than she can recovered soon and play the USO, but the most importan thing is her health

Brebis
#41 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 2:50:11 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)
I think it's not really the virus playing up , it's a motivation issue after this high quality spring / summer. Falling a bit in a deep hole + private problems to deal with. It's a pity as she can not defend her points and will drop down in the ranking. Let's hope she is fresh of mind again in New York.
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan
#42 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 3:18:41 PM(UTC)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I think it's safe to say Maria will be no factor at the U.S. Open, even if she gets healthy enough to play. You can't just have no game action and little practice for a month and show up at a major and contend. Plus, an illness like she has is the kind that saps your strength and stamina. This reminds me of the last part of 2011, where that ankle injury ruined the end of her season. Now she gets this illness, and the end of any chance to win the Open or get back to number one, with all the points she'll be losing and missing out on. Maria's dream year is quickly unravelling.