logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Best athletes, meet you at Rio Olympic Games 2016.
Dartagnan
#60 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:30:02 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

How are the London Olympic Gold medals made?

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/w...bedded&v=fggvXlSlHYI 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/1/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#62 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2012 6:46:43 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

And yet another Russian gold in judo 

Russia's Tagir Khaybulaev has made it and grabbed the Olympic judo gold in the men's 100kg event beating Mongolia’s Naidan Tuvshinbayar.

This is Russia’s third judo gold in London. The first two were taken by Arsen Galstyan (the 60kg event) and Mansur Isaev

http://english.ruvr.ru/2...er-Russian-gold-in-judo/

Vladimir Putin is in London, he personally congratulated Tagir Khaybulaev.

Olympic medalists to be on coins - Putin

The names of Russians who are champions and medal winners at the London Olympic Games will appear on special coins which will be minted and released by the Central Bank of the Russian Federation.

Russian president Vladimir Putin told this to the press before leaving the British capital.

According to the president the names of the winners of gold medals will be on gold coins, and silver and bronze medal winners on silver and bronze coins respectively.

All of the coins will have a face value of 1 ruble.

President Putin was asked what their real cost would be, to which he answered: their worth would be decided upon by the market.

TASS

http://english.ruvr.ru/2...ts-to-be-on-coins-Putin/

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Alireza on 8/3/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#61 Posted : Friday, August 03, 2012 12:07:57 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russian gold bringers

Judokas Arsen Galstyan, Mansur Isayev and Tagir Khaibulatov have brought Russia its only three gold Olympic medals so far, while their compatriot Ivan Nifontov will come back to Russia with a venerable bronze. In this photo gallery we will take another look at the Russian heroes of the London 2012 Olympics. 

Photo: Russian President Vladimir Putin (2ndL), Russian judo Olympic champion Tagir Khaibulayev (L) and other members of teh judo team pose at the Olympics in London, on August 2, 2012.

luispng@ymail.com
#64 Posted : Friday, August 03, 2012 2:41:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Thanks for sharing. Russia 3 gold medals are from Judo. This is nice. Hope tomorrow will add one more from Tennis women :P
Dartagnan
#65 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 9:42:31 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Collapsed Walker is Olympic Hero - Official

Topic: London 2012 Summer Olympics

Valery Borchin

A Russian walker who collapsed while chasing a medal at the Olympics is a true example of heroism, the head of the Russian Olympic Committee told R-Sport on Sunday.

Valery Borchin, who won gold in the men’s 20 kilometer walk in Beijing four years ago, was chasing leader Chen Ding in the same event Saturday when he collapsed one kilometer from the finish, prompting medical staff to rush to his aid.

“Typical athletes leave the race when they run out of strength, but Valera’s not one of them,” Alexander Zhukov said.

“It’s a case of sporting heroism, I think, when a person won’t stop, even when their strength has already run out.”

Borchin had recovered and felt "not bad" when Zhukov spoke to him late Saturday, the official said.

Chen went on to win the event, ahead of Guatemala’s Erick Barrondo and China’s Wang Zhen.

Russia’s other medal contender, world record holder Vladimir Kanaykin, was disqualified for running, while the third member of the team, Andrei Krivov, finished 38th.

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20120805/174995272.html

Dartagnan
#66 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 9:46:43 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Legendary vaulter Isinbayeva -top qualifier

Елена Исинбаева

Russia’s Elena Isinbayeva has easily passed women's pole vault qualifying round in London Saturday leaping 4.55 m.

Dartagnan
#72 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 5:57:09 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russian Greco-Roman wrestler wins Olympic gold

Russian Gold medalist Roman Vlasov.

Russian Gold medalist Roman Vlasov.

Photo: AFP

Russian wrestler Roman Vlasov won this country’s fourth Olympic gold on Sunday with a 3-0 victory over Armenia’s Artsen Julfalakyan in the men’s 74 kilogram Greco-Roman wrestling event.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2...stler-wins-Olympic-gold/

Dartagnan
#73 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 6:00:23 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Olympics: Russia's Tatiana Kashirina sets new world record

татьяна каширина тяжелая атлетика

Russia's Tatiana Kashirina set a new world record in the snatch during the women's Olympic over-75kg weightlifting competition on Sunday.

The 21-year-old European champion lifted 151kg to beat her own previous mark of 148kg set in November.

She actually broke the record twice, first with her second lift of 149kg and then with her final snatch as well.

Before that she had traded Olympic records with China's Zhou Lulu, who finished on 146kg, improving the 140kg mark set by South Korea's Jang Mi-Ran in Beijing.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2...a-sets-new-world-record/

Dartagnan
#67 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 7:50:52 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Monday brings Team Russia 3 gold medals

Team Russia won three gold medals on the 10th day of the London Olympics. Gymnast Aliya Mustafina was the best in women’s uneven bars. Another gold went to Alan Khugaev in the Greco-Roman wrestling. Yuliya Zaripova won the gold medal in the women’s 3000m steeplechase.

In the pole vault final, world record-holder Yelena Isinbaeva was unable to win three gold medals in the same individual event at three successive Olympics. With 4.70, she bowed out with the bronze. The gold went to America’s Jennifer Suhr, and the silver – Cuba’s Yarisley Silva. Both cleared 4,75, but Suhr won on a countback.

Russia's pole vault queen Yelena Isinbaeva said Monday the bronze she won at the London Games was a sign she must shelve her plans to retire.

The Russians now have 7 gold, 17 silver and 18 bronze medals – placing them 6th in the overall medal count.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2...am-Russia-3-gold-medals/

Originally Posted by: Dartagnan Go to Quoted Post

Legendary vaulter Isinbayeva -top qualifier

Елена Исинбаева

Russia’s Elena Isinbayeva has easily passed women's pole vault qualifying round in London Saturday leaping 4.55 m.

Dartagnan
#68 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:16:30 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Isinbayeva to perform in Rio in 2016

The queen of pole vaulting, two-time Olympic and many-time world champion Yelena Isinbayeva does not intend to quit sport. She herself said as much in an interview after winning the Olympic “bronze” in London, the one that made her change her mind.

Isinbayeva, a pole vaulting legend with 28 world records to her name, had hoped to quit unconquered, but now that she only managed to come a disappointing third, she perceives it as a defeat. She said she had been looking forward to winning both the Olympiad and the next year’s world championships in Moscow, which would enable her to finish her pole vaulting career on a high note.

But an injury sustained on the eve of the Olympics, bad weather and huge psychological pressure prevented the world’s most-titled pole jumper from winning her third Olympic “gold”. Strong head wind and rain – one couldn’t fancy the worst weather for pole vaulting. It was Isinbayeva’s fourth Olympiad, and she was extremely nervous.

"I was aware that my whole country was watching and supporting me and that objectively I was stronger than my rivals. Luck just did not come my way yesterday. The weather was so bad that it all became a lottery. I realized that it simply wasn’t my day. I was very nervous as I knew how everyone believed in me, and I struggled as much as I could not to disappoint my fans. I must have overpressed myself."

Isinbayeva will be 34 by the time of the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. If all goes well, it will be her fifth consecutive Olympiad, which in itself is a record. Both she and her coach are confident that provided there are no health concerns, she will take home the Olympic “gold”. As for her current world record – 5.06 m – years may pass before any other jumper comes near it.

"From the point of view of technique, my jumps are fine. I am still able to fly, and therefore I do not worry at all about my world record or Olympic record. It’s absolutely unreal for athletes of my generation to break it. And the future generation will only grow up in ten years or so."

Isinbayeva’s coach Yevgeny Trofimov agrees that her potential is enormous. Not long ago, she had cleared the height of 5.10 m during a training session in Volgograd.

One thing Yelena is not going to deny herself, however, is a short maternity leave. She said that a child would motivate her to reach out to new heights.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2...-perform-in-Rio-in-2016/

Dartagnan
#69 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:22:35 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russian high jumper soars to Olympic gold

Russian high jumper soars to Olympic gold

Russian high jumper Ivan Ukhov

Russian high jumper Ivan Ukhov soared to Olympic gold on Tuesday, clearing 2.38 meters to pip Erik Kynard of the United States to the title.

Ukhov entered the competition as hot favorite after posting a world-leading 2.39 in Cheboksary, Russia, in March, and justified the tag by clearing five consecutive heights with just one fail.

Kynard cleared 2.33 before knocking the bar over at 2.36, 2.38 and 2.40.

Derek Drouin of Canada and Mutaz Essa Barshim of Qatar shared the bronze with 2.29.

Ukhov's was Russia's sixth gold medal of the Olympic Games.

RIA

Russia’s unbeatable duo takes gold in synchronized swimming

The Russian duo of Natalia Ishchenko and Svetlana Romashina are yet again doing what they do the best. The unbeatable duo are the indisputable winners of the women’s duets in synchronized swimming.

Russia’s swimmers Ishchenko and Romashina have been scoring top result throughout the competition in women’s duets. It is their second gold of the Olympics, with a previous win in 2008 Beijing Olympics. The unbeatable duo scored 197.100 points, Spain’s swimmers followed with 192.900 points, and China took bronze with 192.870 points.

This is the tenth gold of the London Olympics for the Russian Team so far, making it the 48th medal in the overall medal count (10 gold, 18 silver, and 20 bronze).

http://english.ruvr.ru/2...r-soars-to-Olympic-gold/

Dartagnan
#70 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:26:43 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia bags Olympic diving gold in 3m springboard

Russia bags Olympic diving gold in 3m springboard

Ilya Zakharov of Russia took diving gold in the men’s three-meter springboard

Ilya Zakharov of Russia took diving gold in the men’s three-meter springboard Tuesday, breaking 20 years of Chinese dominance in the event.

The 21-year-old had the most difficult program and snatched the gold medal from China’s Qin Kai with his sixth dive, a forward four-and-a-half somersault, for 104.50 points to total 555.90.

Qin Kai notched up 541.75 points, leaving his compatriot and Beijing gold medalist He Chong with the bronze medal.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2...-gold-in-3m-springboard/

Dartagnan
#71 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:55:54 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Rezaei Wins Wrestling Gold for Iran

Ghasem Gholamreza Rezaei, Rustam Totrov, Artur Aleksanyan and Jimmy Lidberg

Iran's Ghasem Gholamreza Rezaei grappled to Olympic wrestling gold in the men’s 96kg division on Tuesday, defeating Russia’s Rustam Totrov on points in the final.

Rezaei, 26, won 3-0 to take down the 2011 world bronze medalist and secure a third wrestling gold for his country.

Artur Aleksanyan of Armenia beat Cuba's Yunior Estrada Falcon 3-0 in the bronze medal match.

Jimmy Lidberg, the 2011 world silver medalist from Sweden, won the second bronze medal in the category, beating Belarusian athlete Tsimafei Dzeinichenka 3-1.

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20120808/175051130.html

paul_pipkin
#74 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:47:03 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1868 time(s) in 1238 post(s)

Thanx for all the stuff you've posted here, Dart

Sorry, I can't resist.  My San Antonio kontraktnika Becky Hammon (#9), with Team Russia:

Russia held off Turkey 66-63 in a dramatic finish to seal a semi-final place as Birsel Vardarli came up short with a three-point attempt on the buzzer.

Russia defeat Turkey in the women's Basketball

Evgeniya Belyakova (#5, centre) of Russia celebrates with Becky Hammon (#9) and Natalia Vodopyanova (#6) after defeating Turkey in the women's Basketball quater-final on Day 11 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Basketball Arena.

The European champions, who have won bronze at the last two Olympic Games, had held a 12-point lead early in the second half but found themselves in a tense fourth-quarter battle after Turkey came back to tie it.

Becky Hammon made an excellent lay-up to break a 62-62 tie with 13 seconds left, and it then came down to free throws.

Will play France in the semis on Thurs.

ДАВАЙ Becky!!!  ДАВАЙ РОССИЯ!!!

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 8/8/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#76 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 11:28:15 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Basketball: Russia Beats Lithuania to Reach Semifinal

Andrei Kirilenko

Russia’s men reached the semifinals of the Olympic basketball tournament Wednesday, beating Lithuania 83-74 in a dramatic match.

Andrei Kirilenko, who returned to the NBA with the Minnesota Timberwolves last month, top-scored for the Russians, making a double-double with 19 points and 12 rebounds.

Russia showed good defensive skills and took a nine-point lead at the beginning of the second quarter.

However, inspired play by ex- Philadelphia 76er Darius Songaila, who scored 10 points in the second quarter alone, left three-time bronze medalist Lithuania only five points behind Russia after the first half, only for Kirilenko and

Timofey Mozgov got into full swing to give Russia +14 lead.

Lithuania answered with an 11-0 run to reduce the gap.

A tense fourth quarter ended in Russia’s favor after Mantas Kalnietis missed a three-pointer with 45 seconds remaining to end Lithuania’s hopes of a comeback.

Either France or Spain will meet Russia in the semifinal, with the Russians hoping for their first basketball medal.

Either Brazil or Argentina and the United States or Australia will make up the second semifinal.

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20120808/175072462.html

Dartagnan
#75 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 11:32:31 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Yes Becky is a very dangerous backetball player. She can score many points in few minutes. She is very usefull in difficult situations.

Becky became a Russian citizen.  

Russian backetball female and male team made a good work. 

Originally Posted by: paul_pipkin Go to Quoted Post

Thanx for all the stuff you've posted here, Dart

Sorry, I can't resist.  My San Antonio kontraktnika Becky Hammon (#9), with Team Russia:

Russia held off Turkey 66-63 in a dramatic finish to seal a semi-final place as Birsel Vardarli came up short with a three-point attempt on the buzzer.

Russia defeat Turkey in the women's Basketball

Evgeniya Belyakova (#5, centre) of Russia celebrates with Becky Hammon (#9) and Natalia Vodopyanova (#6) after defeating Turkey in the women's Basketball quater-final on Day 11 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Basketball Arena.

The European champions, who have won bronze at the last two Olympic Games, had held a 12-point lead early in the second half but found themselves in a tense fourth-quarter battle after Turkey came back to tie it.

Becky Hammon made an excellent lay-up to break a 62-62 tie with 13 seconds left, and it then came down to free throws.

Will play France in the semis on Thurs.

ДАВАЙ Becky!!!  ДАВАЙ РОССИЯ!!!

katmilr
#77 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 7:22:51 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 64 post(s)
This thread is only about Russia?
Dartagnan
#78 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 8:36:10 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Originally Posted by: katmilr Go to Quoted Post
This thread is only about Russia?

No this thread is not only about Russia. If you have news about athletes of other countries you like, you can post them here. 

Dartagnan
#79 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 8:39:46 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

11th Gold for Russia

11th Gold for Russia

Photo: AFP

Russian athlete Natalia Antyukh has won a gold medal in the 400m hurdles covering the distance in 52.70 seconds setting a career record.

Lashinda Demus from the U.S. finished second with a time of 52.77 seconds and the bronze medal went to Zuzana Hejnova from the Czech Republic who covered the distance in 53.38 seconds.

The gold was the 11th for the Russian team at the Olympic Games in London.

The Russians excelled on Tuesday in other competitions as well with Lubov Volosova winning a bronze medal in women's wrestling in the under 63 kilo category and Katerina Kostetskaya and Tatiana Tomashova reaching the finals in the 1,500 meter running event, both coming in second in the semifinals.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2...09/11th-Gold-for-Russia/

paul_pipkin on 8/9/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#80 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 11:58:59 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Darya Dmitriyeva, Yevgeniya Kanayeva (Russia) - leaders in rhythmic gymnastics

Дарья Дмитриева Евгения Канаева Художественная гимнастика олимпиада 2012

Darya Dmitriyeva and Yevgeniya Kanayeva (Russia) are leading in the competitions in rhythmic gymnastics at the London Olympics.

The competitions in2 types of combined events, including ball and hoop activity, were held there on August 9.

Lyubov Cherkashina (Belarus) is lagging behind the Russian gymnasts by more than one point.

RIA