logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
ROGERS CUP - MONTREAL 4-13 Aug
Valkyre
#1 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 3:10:03 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

http://www.fijiwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/rogers-cup-blog-hero.jpg

US Open Series finally starts!

I am surprised Maria will take part in this tournament, I expected her to withdraw due to the exhausting schedule she had all these days. But she is listed so I guess everything is good.

This one of the tournaments that Maria can bounce up compared to last year. She only managed a 3rd round, so she has a chance to really make up some points. We will see how that goes though cause much will depend on her physical condition after the olympics and the crazy jet lag she is going to have!

In any case, DAVAI MARIA! GO HARDCOURTPOVA!!

4 users thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/6/2012(UTC), deadchip on 8/6/2012(UTC), Nescogirl on 8/6/2012(UTC), Alireza on 8/7/2012(UTC)
deadchip
#2 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 11:09:34 AM(UTC)
deadchip

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Thanx for starting the thread Val. I guess we were all wondering if she would actually play this one, but I'm guessing she will, as she hasn't pulled out yet and the main draw starts tomorrow. There is still no main draw available that I can find, so I think the organizers also wondered who would show. The women are in Montreal this year and the men play in Toronto. It is actually the third tourny in the US Open series, as Stanford and DC are the first 2. This year, the men's final will be on Sunday night and the women's final will be on Monday night. Serena was last year's champion I believe so she has lots of points to defend, so I'm pretty sure she will show up too. I think Serena wants that #1 ranking back and I think that that is another of her goals for this year.
Of note, Eugenie Bouchard will be part of this main draw after making her first ever QF at a WTA tour event in DC last week, after winning her 3 previous lower level tournaments, including the Girl's title at Wimbly. Another Canadian to watch in upcoming years on the woman's side is Francoise Abanda, who beat Falconi yesterday 6-4,6-0, to reach the final round of qualifying. She plays at 2:00 pm EDT for a spot in the main draw. She is only 15 years old and is looking very promising at this point. The other older Canuck gals will of course be in the field, except for Rebecca Marino who has fallen off the face of the planet.
On the Men's side, Milos will be playing, as well as Pospicil and the rest, but Wimbly Boy's Champion Filip Peliwo has already lost in the first round of Qualies to Ivan Dodic, 6-3, 6-4. It is a bit disappointing not to have him in the main draw.
Women's main draw starts tomorrow, weather permitting of course!!! Maria can pick up some points here, so let's hope she does well.

Another Canadian note, the Canuck women's soccer team takes on the number 1 team (USA) in an Olympic semi today, which could be a good match, though Canada is something like 3 and 42 gainst the US. It'll be be a battle between perhaps the best 2 women players in the world, Abby Waumbach for USA and Christine Sinclair for Canada. GO CANADA and of course, GO MARIA!!!
Masha is my #1!!
Valkyre
#3 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 11:41:48 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

I dont see Serena listed anywhere in the tournament site though... perhaps she wont be there? Which is wierd because indeed she has lots of points to defend.
Whatever the case I hope that Maria will be ready! :)
paul_pipkin
#4 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 11:59:21 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1871 time(s) in 1241 post(s)

There IS a (qualie?) OOP for Monday. No Streams yet.

http://www.wtatennis.com.../posting/2012/806/OP.pdf

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan
#5 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 12:40:09 PM(UTC)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Serena isn't playing Toronto. I was reading an article about how Serena is excited about defending her Olympic Gold in Rio in 2016 and it mentioned her having time to relax, taking in the Olympic sites in London and that her next tournament before the U.S. Open is in Cincinnati.

I really don't get the feeling points and ranking mean anything to her. She knows she's the best tennis player by far. Everyone knows she's the best. She'll show up to any tournament and be the overwhelming favorite. A number one ranking would just be a bonus.

She's doing exactly what I thought Maria would do. Get a little rest, focus on Cincy, and get ready for the Open. But nobody knows Maria better than herself. If she feels she's strong enough to play Toronto, Cincy, and New York and do well, that's what she'll do. She's a professional.
southpawdragon
#6 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 3:27:33 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)

I thought the men are playing toronto and the women playing montreal

1 user thanked southpawdragon for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/6/2012(UTC)
Brebis
#7 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 4:56:52 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)
Tough competition in Montreal for Maria ! Let's hope she is fresh at mind and can get rit of that poor loss in London.
deadchip
#8 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 5:16:23 PM(UTC)
deadchip

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Draw is out and Masha has either a qualifier or Christina McHale in the second round and yes no Serena. If Maria wins this she may skip Cinci?? She is in Caroline quarter of the draw. Lots of byes in the first round, probably to help everyone get rested after London. Francoise Abanda didn't do well at all today :(. And the Canadian women lost to the US in the final seconds of extra time after blowing 3 1 goal leads, though the ref kinda took it away from them with a delay of game call on the Canadian keeper with under 10 mins to go in the second half. On the subsequent indirect free kick from inside the box, the ref calls a handball penalty kick when there is no way she did it on purpose. What a pile of shit!!! Oh well great heart from the gals and they will play for bronze against the French.
Masha is my #1!!
paul_pipkin
#9 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2012 6:07:54 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1871 time(s) in 1241 post(s)

MONTREAL  Montréal, Canada - Tuesday

Central (from 12.00hrs EDT) (GMT-4)
1. Roberta Vinci vs. Yanina Wickmayer
2. Tamira Paszek vs. Julia Görges (NB 14.00hrs)
3. Chanelle Scheepers vs. Stéphanie Dubois (NB 18.00hrs)
4. Aleksandra Wozniak vs. Daniela Hantuchova (NB 20.00hrs)

Banque Nationale (from 12.00hrs)
1. Ekaterina Makarova vs. Urszula Radwanska
2. Sorana Cirstea vs. Sesil Karatantcheva (NB 14.00hrs)
3. Simona Halep vs. Michelle Larcher de Brito (NB 16.00hrs)
4. Anna Tatishvili vs. Ksenia Pervak (NB 19.00hrs)

(No streams posted as yet

ДАВАЙ Маша!!!  ДАВАЙ РОССИЯ!!!

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
2 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 8/6/2012(UTC), Alireza on 8/7/2012(UTC)
Valkyre
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 2:41:56 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

My bad changed the thread title, got confused myself :)

DRAW:

1 user thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
frida on 8/13/2012(UTC)
Valkyre
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 3:16:26 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Come to think of it though if there was 1 tournaments Maria should skip from the US Open series, that is this one...
I am worried. Not for Rogers Cup but for the rest of the series. Maria doesnt have many ponts to defend in Toronto so its a big chance for her to really bounce up in points department, but at what cost? Will she have enough fuel in the tank to go defend her title in Cinci and then give the maximum for Us Open?

I really hope Thomas and Maria have a proper plan. Davai!
Aussie4
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:08:51 AM(UTC)
Aussie4

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 31 post(s)

Valkyre;318252 wrote:
Come to think of it though if there was 1 tournaments Maria should skip from the US Open series, that is this one...
I am worried. Not for Rogers Cup but for the rest of the series. Maria doesnt have many ponts to defend in Toronto so its a big chance for her to really bounce up in points department, but at what cost? Will she have enough fuel in the tank to go defend her title in Cinci and then give the maximum for Us Open?

I really hope Thomas and Maria have a proper plan. Davai!

I think she'll be fine. She basically had all of July off. We saw how fit she was during the claycourt season, which is the most exhausting. She won 3 titles in the span of a month and a half. She isn't the extremely unfit Maria we used to know, she's obviously recovering much better after ever match and her endurance has improved.

If not, i think she will probably try her best here, because she has more chance of winning in Toronto (NO WILDERBEAST) and with Serena around, defending Cinci will be tough, thats for sure.

Ahhh well, we'll see how it all unravels!

1 user thanked Aussie4 for this useful post.
Valkyre on 8/7/2012(UTC)
Imnumber2
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:09:12 AM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

Maria needs to play more against Serena

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
1 user thanked Imnumber2 for this useful post.
Freedom23 on 8/7/2012(UTC)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:55:06 AM(UTC)
Long_Suffering_Maria_Fan

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I think fatigue is a reasonable concern. Maria has been so good and so consistent all year, making it to 7 tournament finals, I believe. That's a lot of tennis in each tourny. And now she wants to tackle 3 more in a month.

We all want her to be peaking by the U.S. Open, but she hasn't made it past the 4th round there since winning it in 2006. Though, I do realize the shoulder and serve contributed to that. But based on her 2012 performance, she looks to be in the best condition in her life, so I trust her judgment.
PodgeMcQ
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 1:05:58 PM(UTC)
PodgeMcQ

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Even if Maria does get deep into the Montreal draw or potentionally wins the tourny I believe she won't pull out of Cincy. With the fitness Maria has shown recently a week between Cincy and the US Open is enough time for her to recover from any fatigue she may be suffering from. I've a good feeling about this US Series for Maria.
Freedom23
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 1:49:06 PM(UTC)
Freedom23

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)

Imnumber2;318260 wrote:

Exactly. I don't think any fan wants to come to terms with that. Remember: when Maria beat Azarenka in Stutthard it was after losing 2 consecutive finals to her. Maria and Serena encounters are spread out (last was in 2011 standford and then 2012 olympic final). It might take a few more consecutive losses to Serena, but I feel that Maria would learn more and more as the matches went by and eventually pull out a remarkable win.

Nevertheless, Serena should be Maria's hitting partner. 'Nuff said.

Integrity is the best policy.

Imnumber2
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 2:14:39 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

Freedom23;318263 wrote:

Imnumber2;318260 wrote:

Exactly. I don't think any fan wants to come to terms with that. Remember: when Maria beat Azarenka in Stutthard it was after losing 2 consecutive finals to her. Maria and Serena encounters are spread out (last was in 2011 standford and then 2012 olympic final). It might take a few more consecutive losses to Serena, but I feel that Maria would learn more and more as the matches went by and eventually pull out a remarkable win.

Nevertheless, Serena should be Maria's hitting partner. 'Nuff said.

Agree! and it will force Maria to serve and play better as well.

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
Alexandre
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:50:58 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Are you guys crazy ? You are afraid that Maria is tired because of the Olympics, that she could be not fit enough, you're kidding right ? She rested all july after her quick loss in Wimbledon !!!! What should say Azarenka then, she played the singles, doubles and mixed doubles in the Olympics while Maria only played the singles, what should say Serena after winning Wimbledon, Stanford, Olympics in singles and doubles in a row at the age of 30 !! 

Maria is fit enough and peferctly rested, she's not made of paper. Hence she is right to play Montreal and Cincinatti in order to pick up points and gain confidence for the US open, because as always the player who'll do the best performance in the preparatory tournaments will win the US open, it works this way!! Maria did the best preparatory clay court season she won Rolland Garros, it's that simple!!!! 

2 users thanked Alexandre for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/7/2012(UTC), alexandreka on 8/8/2012(UTC)
Valkyre
#20 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 2:37:47 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

@alexander that is why Azarenka will not play in Cincinatti.

ΜΑRIA BACK IN ACTION

2 users thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
Aussie4 on 8/8/2012(UTC), frida on 8/13/2012(UTC)
masha64000
#21 Posted : Wednesday, August 08, 2012 11:46:25 AM(UTC)
masha64000

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 53 post(s)

Sorry for my bad english, i'm a french girl 

Maria Sharapova had to withdraw from the Rogers Cup in Montreal because of a stomach virus, which has been bothering her since the London Olympics. A source told TENNIS.com that Sharapova first got the virus the night before the Olympic gold medal match, when she was crushed by Serena Williams 6-0, 6-1. Lucky loser Galina Voskoboeva will replace her in the draw. On Tuesday in her pre-tournament press conference, Sharapova said she hadn't lost hope after her quick loss to Serena. The world No. 2 hasn't beaten Williams since 2004 and had only won nine games in their past three contests. "If I sat here and thought there was nothing I could do, that would probably be very disappointing," Sharapova said. "It will motivate me to keep going and keep practicing. There are certainly things I could have done better but she was playing really good tennis."

http://www.tennis.com/ar...leid=19108&zoneid=25

This tournament is finish for Masha !

2 users thanked masha64000 for this useful post.
alexandreka on 8/8/2012(UTC), deadchip on 8/8/2012(UTC)